PDA

View Full Version : Nadal and Roddick complain.....

rommil
10-12-2009, 07:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4552937

drakulie
10-12-2009, 08:23 AM
whiny babies.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Nadal i knew, he complains about everything when he is steamrolled by someone!
But Roddick?? He has played 5 matches since Wimbledon for Gods sake!:shock:

mandy01
10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe Nadal should think of taking care of his own schedule first.

sureshs
10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
There are other players who will be glad to play in Asia in winter and collect the money.

Chadwixx
10-12-2009, 08:32 AM

And skips the entire euro clay court season.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Exactly, didnt see this coming from him.

TMF
10-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Nadal/Roddick havn't won anything for awhile and now they are getting all ****ed. Had Nadal successfully defended RG and Roddick won SW19, they would of kept their mouth shut.

Taking their fustration out on the ATP organizers isn't going to help.

Jason Vorhees
Exactly, didnt see this coming from him.

Say's the one who loves the guy who tanked the rest of the season.

drakulie
Nadal has played a little over 60 matches all year, and he is whining. That is a little over 5 matches a month (one week).

I wish I could tell my boss I'm only going to work 60 days a year, because the work schedule is too grueling. :roll:

jamesblakefan#1
It's not the first time Roddick's complained a/b the schedule.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20081114/ATP_stands_firm_on_revised_2009_schedule_despite_R oddick_complaint

They are right. The schedule is too long, it's ridiculous to have less than a month as an 'off season'.

mandy01
10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
LOL..I dont get what Roddick is complainig about either.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Nadal has played a little over 60 matches all year, and he is whining. That is a little over 5 matches a month (one week).

I wish I could tell my boss I'm only going to work 60 days a year, because the work schedule is too grueling. :roll:

Nadal got injured didn't he, which makes it worse.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 08:43 AM
LOL..I dont get what Roddick is complainig about either.

What concern is it of your's whether he is complaining or not, you train for as long as these sportsmen do and see if you get tired after 10 monthss, hell, you'll probably get tired after a days work.

Fedace
10-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I think it is possible to Cram every thing into October including the Masters Final. and just leave Davis cup for november and december. and move the davis cup semis to November.

that is the Final solution. I think i will send it into ATP chairman. If they Accept then i get 10 % recommendation FEE. thank you.

mandy01
10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Nadal got injured didn't he, which makes it worse. Top players are in-charge of their own schedule.Nadal can afford to skip tournaments if he dosent want to get injured.Skipping a couple of minor events wont kill him.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Huh? What are you talking about?

mandy01
10-12-2009, 08:46 AM
What concern is it of your's whether he is complaining or not, you train for as long as these sportsmen do and see if you get tired after 10 monthss, hell, you'll probably get tired after a days work.Why are others not complaining then? Roddick is fine.He dosent do it too often but Nadal?
And like I said top players can afford to miss events.
These events are necessary for other players.They need the income,they need the matches.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Huh? What are you talking about?

It's obvious that your a federer fan (your UN would suggest). Federer tanked the rest of the year (except MC) and your critisizing some people complaining when they kept there manhood and are still playing. Unlike 'the god' who gives up when tired.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Why are others not complaining then? Roddick is fine.He dosent do it too often but Nadal?
These events are necessary for other players.They need the income,they need the matches.

Other players aren't complaining because they are too scared.

TMF
Nadal played a total of 83 matches after the last year USO, thatís a hell a lot more than this year. Funny he didnít complain anything after having a good year, but this yearís, the lack of success is bothering him.

jamesblakefan#1
Why are others not complaining then? Roddick is fine.He dosent do it too often but Nadal?

Actually I made a thread on this earlier this year which highlighted guys like Nadal, Blake, Safin, and Roddick who have complained about the schedule.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=273973

Ledigs
Nadal complains more because he wins a lot so he has to play more matches than the losers :)

Fed doesn't complain but right now he is sitting out so obviously this season in 2009 IS too long for him. He just doesn't say it out loud.

statto
The off season is too short, but to a large extent players can self-regulate. If I were in Federer or Nadal's position then I wouldn't be playing any 500 events unless they were essential for tournament prep, wouldn't play any Davis Cup unless it was a semi or final, and would probably skip at least one and maybe two of the masters events. They could do all that and still comfortably be the top two in the world.

For lower ranked players it becomes harder, as skipping events can seriously compromise your ranking position. A two month break with only seven masters events (and only being able to count 16 tourneys toward your ranking) would seem like a common sense compromise.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:49 AM
It's obvious that your a federer fan (your UN would suggest). Federer tanked the rest of the year (except MC) and your critisizing some people complaining when they kept there manhood and are still playing. Unlike 'the god' who gives up when tired.
Federer tanked what?? What are u smoking?

Jason Vorhees
Nadal played a total of 83 matches after the last year USO, thatís a hell a lot more than this year. Funny he didnít complain anything after having a good year, but this yearís, the lack of success is bothering him.

None the less, nadal has had the 2nd best year.

mandy01
It's obvious that your a federer fan (your UN would suggest). Federer tanked the rest of the year (except MC) and your critisizing some people complaining when they kept there manhood and are still playing. Unlike 'the god' who gives up when tired.er..what?
First of all Roger is playing 3 tournaments even without the Asian swing so he hasnt tanked the rest of the season.
And I know I'd rather have the player 'tank' a couple of tournaments rather than risk getting injured.Staying healthy is part of the game and you have to take the necessary measures.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Very true!

Jason Vorhees
Federer tanked what?? What are u smoking?

He said that he's not playing shangai and Paris simply because to rehabilitate, funny that he was fine until the US open final.

Oh and speak proper English.

Chadwixx

You realize he has two newborn twin girls? Not exactly great for them to be traveling around the world is it?

jamesblakefan#1
10-12-2009, 08:51 AM

Nadal slammed the schedule last May as well.

drakulie
10-12-2009, 08:51 AM

when did he get injured???

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
when did he get injured???

Just before wimbledon. Where have you been the last few months?

mandy01
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Nadal complains more because he wins a lot so he has to play more matches than the losers :)

Fed doesn't complain but right now he is sitting out so obviously this season in 2009 IS too long for him. He just doesn't say it out loud.
Federer dosent complain because he knows the other players need those tournaments,he knows the fans around the world deserve to be able to get an opportunity to see some good tennis and because he knows when to stop.
Just because the top players want the schedule cut out dosent mean it should happen.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:53 AM
He said that he's not playing shangai and Paris simply because to rehabilitate, funny that he was fine until the US open final.

He`s got 2 fairly newborn daughters at home in case you missed it, and he has dasically already locked the no1 position.
Why dont you speak proper Swedish instead?

TMF
10-12-2009, 08:53 AM
None the less, nadal has had the 2nd best year.

Heís in a drought since his last win in May at Hamburg. Definitely not what he expected back then. I senses that heís not too thrill and thatís why heís complaining.

Chadwixx
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Nadal slammed the schedule last May as well.

When he was losing, LOL

jamesblakefan#1
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
The off season is too short, but to a large extent players can self-regulate. If I were in Federer or Nadal's position then I wouldn't be playing any 500 events unless they were essential for tournament prep, wouldn't play any Davis Cup unless it was a semi or final, and would probably skip at least one and maybe two of the masters events. They could do all that and still comfortably be the top two in the world.

For lower ranked players it becomes harder, as skipping events can seriously compromise your ranking position. A two month break with only seven masters events (and only being able to count 16 tourneys toward your ranking) would seem like a common sense compromise.

All top 30 players are required to play 4 500 events.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:55 AM
The only injured thing with Nadal is his confidence !

fed_rulz
10-12-2009, 08:55 AM

LOL. 10 chars

jamesblakefan#1
10-12-2009, 08:56 AM
When he was losing, LOL

No, I believe Federer was the one losing back then. That was when he had his 'mono' Fed fans love to go on and on about.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article3854109.ece

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 08:58 AM
LOL. 10 chars
Thanx:)
Did not notice that one.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm allowed to make spelling errors as i write with one hand (my other hand is occupied by a machete)

drakulie
10-12-2009, 09:00 AM

what injury???

fed_rulz
10-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanx:)
Did not notice that one.

you're welcome :)

Fedace
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I still say 2 month off in November and December is the key. ONly davis cup to be played in those month, semis and Finals.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm allowed to make spelling errors as i write with one hand (my other hand is occupied by a machete)
Give it too Nadal, he probably could use it...

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
what injury???

I don't keep tabs on the guy, i think it was his leg or ankle. Personally i think it was due to the fact he was upset at losing to RS.

statto
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
All top 30 players are required to play 4 500 events.

They're also required to play all the slams and masters tourneys (apart from Monte Carlo). Guess what? Nadal didn't play Wimbledon. Federer isn't playing Shanghai. The reason they're required to play four 500 events is because a player can count 18 tournaments toward their ranking (4 slams + 9 masters + 4 500s + 1 masters cup = 18). They can choose not to play them, but it means they give up the points from that tournament. Federer and Nadal can easily give up tournaments and still be way ahead of the competition. Having said that, they could easily end up playing a couple in prep for the AO and Wimbledon.

Ledigs
10-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Plus they are racing each other for number 1 (or were), statto.

On another point, they really do not have off for even a month. You can't take the whole month off and then suddenly start playing the AO.

Fedace
10-12-2009, 09:07 AM

On another point, they really do not have off for even a month. You can't take the whole month off and then suddenly start playing the AO.

Yes you can. Agassi did it all the time. but he will just use the Off time as training time. and actually he was better for it...:)

drakulie
10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't keep tabs on the guy, i think it was his leg or ankle. Personally i think it was due to the fact he was upset at losing to RS.

http://4.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kofqp6TY9D1qzkh7bo1_500.jpg

Fedace
10-12-2009, 09:08 AM
^^^I don't get it. ??????????????

mandy01
10-12-2009, 09:08 AM

On another point, they really do not have off for even a month. You can't take the whole month off and then suddenly start playing the AO. The number one comes when you can keep up your results when healthy.These players can most certainly afford to skip tournaments.Others cant so they are there.
Frankly,players like Nadal should be the last ones to whine about the schedule.

Cesc Fabregas
10-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Roger clearly thinks the season is too long, thats why he routinley plays half-arsed and has skipped 2 tournaments he was going to play.

mandy01
10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Roger clearly thinks the season is too long, thats why he routinley plays half-arsed and has skipped 2 tournaments he is was going to play. but he also understands why it is the way it is hence dosent whine about it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Roger clearly thinks the season is too long, thats why he routinley plays half-arsed and has skipped 2 tournaments he is was going to play.
...And still be no 1 by a mile- impressive!:twisted:

Sartorius
10-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I think they're right. The season is very long.

But then again, it's still in their hands to figure out the healthiest, or the most appropriate schedule for their body to keep up.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 09:17 AM
...And still be no 1 by a mile- impressive!:twisted:

He's not actually a mile ahead, rankings are determined on points - not miles covered. He isn't interrogating the rankings system so no need for your comment.

drakulie
10-12-2009, 09:28 AM
^^^Settle down, Freddie.

Jason Vorhees
10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
^^^Settle down, Freddie.

No, i am Jason. The man who owned Freddy but never mind. I know this forum needs some entertainment but now is not the time.

Michael myers is my next target.

SuperDuy
10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I completely agree with roddick, tennis players need a proper time to train and get into better shape in the off season.!

drakulie
10-12-2009, 09:43 AM
No, i am Jason. The man who owned Freddy but never mind. I know this forum needs some entertainment but now is not the time.

Michael myers is my next target.

Jason was a wimp. This guy would own him:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/giflix/gifs/iongmf2q2mwl.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0NEMFYTS5VQ806HF9C R2&Expires=1255370734&Signature=Gi2yQRSEBuX5ojE85qlcockmx9c%3D (http://giflix.com/gif/iongmf2q2mwl/funny-arts-jackson)

Agassifan
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Easy solution... don't make the Masters series compulsory. Yes. they're important for the rankings, but nobody really cares about these tournaments.

OliverSimon
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Roddicks only complaining because he lost to Kubot last week

mandy01
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Easy solution... don't make the Masters series compulsory. Yes. they're important for the rankings, but nobody really cares about these tournaments.
masters events are important not just for rankings but for also the revenue.Top players are the main attractions there and people come to see them.Plus,they're able to do so at much reasonable prices.
Top players can afford to even miss one or two of these mandatory events so its not going to kill them.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 10:40 AM
He's not actually a mile ahead, rankings are determined on points - not miles covered.
What? Really? You cannot be serious!!!!:shock::shock:

All-rounder
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Nadal/Roddick havn't won anything for awhile and now they are getting all ****ed. Had Nadal successfully defended RG and Roddick won SW19, they would of kept their mouth shut.

Taking their fustration out on the ATP organizers isn't going to help.
+1 I agree

MajinX
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Nadal i knew, he complains about everything when he is steamrolled by someone!

umm obvs they arent talking about THEMSELVES all the time guys... why do ppl assume that when someone famous brings up a point its always about them. He mentions other players being injured, and compared tennis to other sports and how theres only a month off in tennis. Just think of it from an outside view... theres literally tennis all year round.

brc444
10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
The season is too long but given the bad situation it is up to the players to manage their schedule so they stay healthy and peak at the right times.

Blinkism
10-12-2009, 08:29 PM

He didn't skip the ENTIRE euro clay court season this year.

He managed to play Madrid, where he won a set off Federer in the Quarterfinals LOL

and then he had his best RG results, losing in the 4th round to Monfils.

Blinkism
10-12-2009, 08:32 PM

But, you do only work 60 days a year - Are you telling me your summer job at the pro shop is more than 2 months long?

Baikalic
10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Give it too Nadal, he probably could use it...

Lol what is he going to do with a machete?

edmondsm
10-12-2009, 11:22 PM

You obviously just hate Federer. The guy knows how to manage his schedule. Sampras knew how, Agassi knew how, why the F can't Nadal figure out how much tennis he needs to play? He doesn't realize how lucky he is. He plays an individual sport, he can take breaks whenever he wants. Can Kobe Bryant say, "Sorry LA, I'm take two weeks off, I'm tired."?????

Other players aren't complaining because they are too scared.

They are scared? Of what? That makes no sense.

Blinkism
10-12-2009, 11:24 PM
You obviously just hate Federer. The guy knows how to manage his schedule. Sampras knew how, Agassi knew how, why the F can't Nadal figure out how much tennis he needs to play? He doesn't realize how lucky he is. He plays an individual sport, he can take breaks whenever he wants. Can Kobe Bryant say, "Sorry LA, I'm take two weeks off, I'm tired."?????.

The biggest difference between Fed and Nadal is that Fed knows when to drop out of a tourney and when not to and Nadal is still, uhhh, figuring that out?

edmondsm
10-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Crap. Don't you hate it when you respond to a Banned poster on accident. :)

Oh well, I'm sure he's around somewhere.

edmondsm
10-12-2009, 11:34 PM
The biggest difference between Fed and Nadal is they know when to drop out of a tourney and when not to.

Of course. Like how Nadal tries to win all 3 clay masters every year. If Federer had won Monte-Carlo and Rome in the same year, he would have never tried to play Hamburg after that. Nadal does it like it's just any old tournament. As if he doesn't have to play 2 slams in 2 months shortly thereafter.

And he doesn't skip any hardcourt masters. Why not? Roddick, Blake, they've skipped Monte-Carlo as part of their routine. Why doesn't Nadal do that with a hardcourt event. Or two. He could certainly afford it.

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
10-12-2009, 11:37 PM

I have always agreed with this, and stated so.. Good call Drak..

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
10-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I have always said that they should only play 4 masters series in conjunction with the slams on the same surfaces. Or atleast cut two of the US masters, and 2 of the clay masters and have a longer grass season. By cutting the masters it allowes an off season earlier I say have the Masters cup in October, and let it be the finally.. Then the players can have the rest of October, November, and most of december to rest and get ready for the Australian Series..

dropshot winner
10-12-2009, 11:50 PM

You have no idea how much physical work Nadal has to put in before and after his matches, and you also have no idea how much pain he has to endure during all of it.

That's very different from the average 40-45h job where you can do whatever you want after work and over the weekend.
Now I wouldn't complain about Nadal's payment, but it's not like all he does is hit a few balls during matches.

Blinkism
10-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Of course. Like how Nadal tries to win all 3 clay masters every year. If Federer had won Monte-Carlo and Rome in the same year, he would have never tried to play Hamburg after that. Nadal does it like it's just any old tournament. As if he doesn't have to play 2 slams in 2 months shortly thereafter.

And he doesn't skip any hardcourt masters. Why not? Roddick, Blake, they've skipped Monte-Carlo as part of their routine. Why doesn't Nadal do that with a hardcourt event. Or two. He could certainly afford it.

I whole-heartedly agree.

Playing Rotterdam after winning the Australian Open - dumb decision!
Playing Barcelona after winning Monte Carlo - dumb decisions!

drakulie
10-13-2009, 04:27 AM
You have no idea how much physical work Nadal has to put in before and after his matches, and you also have no idea how much pain he has to endure during all of it.

That's very different from the average 40-45h job where you can do whatever you want after work and over the weekend.
Now I wouldn't complain about Nadal's payment, but it's not like all he does is hit a few balls during matches.

If it's that painful for him, perhaps he Should stop playing doubles
and meaningless exos.

TheMusicLover
10-13-2009, 04:41 AM

You know that THAT is specifically something Nadal for some strange reason just doesn't seem to understand: taking care of your schedule appropriately so you don't run out of fuel when it really matters?

Really, they should stop whining about this. Especially if one keeps on overplaying by attending Mickey Mouse-events like Rotterdam, Barcelona, etc. :evil:

fluffy Beaver
10-13-2009, 04:44 AM
*************Spoiler***********

3-4 first set Roddick vs Warinka

roddick already has a cramp or something wrong with his knee.

EDIT: RODDICK HAD TO RETIRE!

bolo
10-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't think nadal plays much more than required by the tour. I remember reading on the MTF that he more or less sticks to the required # of tournaments. He just racks up the match totals because he just wins a lot.

In any case some bad news for roddick today. Hopefully it's nothing serious and he is part of the final 8.

wyutani
10-13-2009, 07:09 AM
they are not forced to play u know/

li0scc0
10-13-2009, 07:18 AM
These complaints are a bit irrelevant. The beauty of the tennis 'season' is that you can play whichever tournaments you want to (I realize this is theoretical, given sponsor pressure, etc.).

This cannot be compared to sports such as soccer, hockey, American football, auto racing, and baseball, where you essentially 'have to' play every game or match. And thus, after a 162 game baseball season, there is an off-season that begins, for most, in early October, and ends in March for the pre-season. But from March through September, it is practically every day.

In tennis, the season is the entire year, yet you can pick and choose a bit. Federer does not play in every tourney nor does he play competitive matches year round. Nobody does.

DarthMaul
10-13-2009, 07:22 AM

WOW, banned after just 81 posts? Is that a record?

Federer_pilon
10-13-2009, 07:23 AM
If it's that painful for him, perhaps he Should stop playing doubles
and meaningless exos.

like the one Federer played last year shortly after withdrawing from the Paris Masters due to a sore back? The same sore back that "affected" his performance throughout the first part of 2009?

drakulie
10-13-2009, 07:29 AM
like the one Federer played last year shortly after withdrawing from the Paris Masters due to a sore back? The same sore back that "affected" his performance throughout the first part of 2009?

Is Federer complaining in the OP?? I don't think so>>>>>> but that is what I like about you>>> your fascination with him. Is Nadal not important enough to talk about without bringing the new king of clay into the discussion?

JRstriker12
10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
These complaints are a bit irrelevant. The beauty of the tennis 'season' is that you can play whichever tournaments you want to (I realize this is theoretical, given sponsor pressure, etc.).

This cannot be compared to sports such as soccer, hockey, American football, auto racing, and baseball, where you essentially 'have to' play every game or match. And thus, after a 162 game baseball season, there is an off-season that begins, for most, in early October, and ends in March for the pre-season. But from March through September, it is practically every day.

In tennis, the season is the entire year, yet you can pick and choose a bit. Federer does not play in every tourney nor does he play competitive matches year round. Nobody does.

Yeah - but in a 162 game baseball season, you spend about 80% of the time with your butt on the dugout bench. Pitchers don't even pitch every single game.

Hockey and American football - you get subs. Hockey you go off in shifts and there may be 2-3 lines. Football, you either play offense or defense and spend the rest of the time on the bench - or may get subbed out for different plays. Plus in the NFL the season is pretty short - maybe about 20 games and you only play about once a week.

Soccer - a bit different in that you can only sub three players, but you can still be subbed or sit out a game and your team can still play.

In tennis there are no subs, no team to pick up the load when you are hurt or can't play.

Yeah, you can "choose" the events you play, but if you played an event one year and did well, you better play the next year if you want to defend those points. Also, if you want to increase your ranking, you have to play a good number of events.

sureshs
10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
In tennis there are no subs, no team to pick up the load when you are hurt or can't play.

OK, then play 1 round and lose.

bolo

I think it's too theoretical. Sponsor pressures + required masters + other required tournaments means there is less flexibility than there seems. Also for the clay courters a lot of the high point tournaments are set up almost like a gauntlet. Nadal was able to negotiate this for a while and accumulate a lot points on his best surface, but paid the price this year.

If players are willing to tank/play at a low level once in a while then it will get easier for them-although you are not being fair to the fans at that point. But some aren't willing to tank and I thnk for them at this point the best bet is to play on their best surfaces but skip some other required tournaments and probably take some fines.

Actually I am always amazed at the number of games that baseball batters miss. I would guess the average regular batter sits out like 10% of games. Now imagine if they didn't have any subs I would guess they would miss even more.

Federer_pilon
Is Federer complaining in the OP?? I don't think so>>>>>> but that is what I like about you>>> your fascination with him. Is Nadal not important enough to talk about without bringing the new king of clay into the discussion?

no, the GOAT >>>> all

Federer_pilon
10-13-2009, 07:50 AM

oh, btw was your troll thread deleted?

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

sureshs
10-13-2009, 07:53 AM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

The Nadal and Serena one? I was wondering where it was.

Federer_pilon
10-13-2009, 07:55 AM
The Nadal and Serena one? I was wondering where it was.

yes that one lol

bolo
10-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Can Kobe Bryant say, "Sorry LA, I'm take two weeks off, I'm tired."?????

Kobe can certainly take time off. Why can't he? If he does he hurts his team's chances of getting a high seed in the playoffs or worst case they don't make the play offs. Isn't that how it works? Just like nadal can also take some time off and he hurts his chances of getting a high seed in the GS or at worst case doesn't make the 128 GS cut.

In fact it's easier for kobe to take 2 weeks off because someone, even a very bad player, can replace him. No one can play in the place of an ATP player.

edmondsm
10-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah - but in a 162 game baseball season, you spend about 80% of the time with your butt on the dugout bench. Pitchers don't even pitch every single game.

Hockey and American football - you get subs. Hockey you go off in shifts and there may be 2-3 lines. Football, you either play offense or defense and spend the rest of the time on the bench - or may get subbed out for different plays. Plus in the NFL the season is pretty short - maybe about 20 games and you only play about once a week.

Soccer - a bit different in that you can only sub three players, but you can still be subbed or sit out a game and your team can still play.

Yeah, you can "choose" the events you play, but if you played an event one year and did well, you better play the next year if you want to defend those points. Also, if you want to increase your ranking, you have to play a good number of events.

The star on a basketball or soccer team is expected to be at every game, and expected to go the full 48 or 90 minutes respectively. Guys like Allen Iverson have been toughing out injuries their entire careers and never complained about the length of the season.

Nadal doesn't need all those points from Rotterdam and Barcelona, or Miami and Indian Wells for that matter. It's his career we're talking about here. Your health is more important then some dinky tournament in Holland.

JRstriker12
10-13-2009, 08:26 AM
OK, then play 1 round and lose.

Yeah, I'm sure the tourney organizers and the crowd are going to love it when you limp on court, play one point, fall over then retire....

drakulie
10-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Troll thread??? do you see a troll thread started by me anywhere??? You must be talking about jamesblakefan#1

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Troll thread??? do you see a troll thread started by me anywhere??? You must be talking about jamesblakefan#1

No, drakulie, Federer_pilon was making a reference to you.

I know you have a hard time with english comprehension or processing complex thoughts, but take my word for it.

edmondsm
10-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Kobe can certainly take time off. Why can't he? If he does he hurts his team's chances of getting a high seed in the playoffs or worst case they don't make the play offs. Isn't that how it works? Just like nadal can also take some time off and he hurts his chances of getting a high seed in the GS or at worst case doesn't make the 128 GS cut.

In fact it's easier for kobe to take 2 weeks off because someone, even a very bad player, can replace him. No one can play in the place of an ATP player.

You must be kidding. Kobe is getting paid whether he plays or not. So you better believe he can't just tell his team he's tired and take a month to sit around on the beach in Mallorca. Nadal could easily do this. It is a luxury many athletes would envy.

You prove my point though. When Nadal takes time off, the only one who loses points is Nadal. He doesn't have to worry about anyone but himself. No teammates to abandon, no title shot lost. Sampras did this for most of his career. Play sub-par for two months, lose to no-bodies, hit your peak, win a slam. Hey it was a great year, even though I half-assed it for most of the time.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I'm sure the tourney organizers and the crowd are going to love it when you limp on court, play one point, fall over then retire....
Hey, off topic, i recognize your sig from somewhere, the text...is it from Wimbledon?? "if you can meet triumph and disaster"

drakulie
10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
No, drakulie, Federer_pilon was making a reference to you.

I know you have a hard time with english comprehension or processing complex thoughts, but take my word for it.

really? show me what thread I started recently, coppola.

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 08:37 AM
really? show me what thread I started recently, coppola.

It's ok, Drakulie. We're all here to help.

Just step one in sorting out the shambles in your brain, and then we can make you a productive member of society!

High five! :)

JRstriker12
10-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Hey, off topic, i recognize your sig from somewhere, the text...is it from Wimbledon?? "if you can meet triumph and disaster"

Yes, it's posted above the player's entrance as Wimby. It's a quote from Rudyard Kiplingís ďIf.Ē

drakulie
10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
It's ok, Drakulie. We're all here to help.

Serously, help me find the thread you claim I recently started. Could you provide a link, Coppola?

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Serously, help me find the thread you claim I recently started. Could you provide a link, Coppola?

I've got laptop girl on it!

I'll have the link for you when she returns from her world tour.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Yes, it's posted above the player's entrance as Wimby. It's a quote from Rudyard Kiplingís ďIf.Ē
Oh yeah! Thats it! I was right:)

sureshs
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM

You don't need to limp. Can't Nadal or Roddick play 2 sets, lose 1 and 1, and go home? As far as the crowd goes, new heroes will emerge who can manage their schedule properly or are superbly fit. One man's loss is another man's gain. If the losers keep losing, they won't be around any more so the crowd will not see them.

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah! Thats it! I was right:)

You probably remember it from that clip they ran where Federer, Nadal, Roddick, and a whole bunch of other player where reading that Kipling poem at Wimbledon.

Cool stuff.

Megi
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Funny how Djokovic has played more than any of the complaining guys and he's still going strong!

ksbh
10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
ROFL X 1070, Blink! By the way, 1070 is the highest rating so far :)

I see that you're shifting into a 7th gear, hitherto unknown to me!

I've got laptop girl on it!

I'll have the link for you when she returns from her world tour.

bolo
10-13-2009, 08:57 AM
You must be kidding. Kobe is getting paid whether he plays or not. So you better believe he can't just tell his team he's tired and take a month to sit around on the beach in Mallorca. Nadal could easily do this. It is a luxury many athletes would envy.

You prove my point though. When Nadal takes time off, the only one who loses points is Nadal. He doesn't have to worry about anyone but himself. No teammates to abandon, no title shot lost. Sampras did this for most of his career. Play sub-par for two months, lose to no-bodies, hit your peak, win a slam. Hey it was a great year, even though I half-assed it for most of the time.

The costs are similar but not identical. Nadal can take two months off and he will lose points and titles. Just like kobe can take 2 weeks off and he and his team will lose games and potentially the title. Kobe also loses some additional money even though he has a fixed salary. There are usually incentives built into contracts and the deeper he goes in the playoffs I am sure his endorsements go up. There are additional costs to other players when you are on a team that is correct, but that doesn't mean that nadal doesn't suffer when he is forced to take time off because the schedule is too demanding. You seem to be ignoring the fact that there are costs (monetary and prestige) to nadal when he takes time off.

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 08:59 AM
ROFL X 1070, Blink! By the way, 1070 is the highest rating so far :)

I see that you're shifting into a 7th gear, hitherto unknown to me!

What an honor! :)

Nice to know I'm in your good books, ksbh!

NamRanger
10-13-2009, 09:00 AM
The costs are similar but not identical. Nadal can take two months off and he will lose points and titles. Just like kobe can take 2 weeks off and he and his team will lose games and potentially the title. There are additional costs to other players when you are on a team that is correct, but that doesn't mean that nadal doesn't suffer when he is forced to take time off because the schedule is too demanding. You seem to be ignoring the fact that there are costs to nadal when he takes time off.

Except Nadal puts excessive amounts of time on the court.

drakulie
10-13-2009, 09:02 AM
The costs are similar but not identical. Nadal can take two months off and he will lose points and titles. Just like kobe can take 2 weeks off and he and his team will lose games and potentially the title. Kobe loses money too btw even though he has a fixed salary. There are usually incentives built into contracts and the deeper he goes in the playoffs I am sure his endorsements go up. There are additional costs to other players when you are on a team that is correct, but that doesn't mean that nadal doesn't suffer when he is forced to take time off because the schedule is too demanding. You seem to be ignoring the fact that there are costs to nadal when he takes time off.

are you suggesting Nadal play basketball??

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
are you suggesting Nadal play basketball??

shouldn't you be writing more wrist band reviews? I hear you are quite good at that. :)

drakulie
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
shouldn't you be writing more wrist band reviews? I hear you are quite good at that. :)

shouldn't you be writing more excuses of why Nadal is always so tired.

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:09 AM
shouldn't you be writing more excuses of why Nadal is always so tired.

shouldn't you be breaking the biggest tennis newstory of all time? I thought you were quite close before? :)

drakulie
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
^^^alread happened. Momos like you can't stop talking about it.

edmondsm
10-13-2009, 09:13 AM
The costs are similar but not identical. Nadal can take two months off and he will lose points and titles. Just like kobe can take 2 weeks off and he and his team will lose games and potentially the title. Kobe loses money too btw even though he has a fixed salary. There are usually incentives built into contracts and the deeper he goes in the playoffs I am sure his endorsements go up. There are additional costs to other players when you are on a team that is correct, but that doesn't mean that nadal doesn't suffer when he is forced to take time off because the schedule is too demanding. You seem to be ignoring the fact that there are costs to nadal when he takes time off.

Yes, and the costs are greatly exaggerated by his inability to find good times to rest. He's not supposed to miss Wimbledon. He's supposed to take a week off and not play Rotterdam, maybe skip Miami too. Go to Europe early and ease into the clay season. Every other player does this. Why does Nadal feel the need to grind himself into the ground until his injuries flare up at the worst possible moment.

I can't believe you can't understand the Kobe comparison. Let's look at it this way: How many major championships are in basketball? How many major championships are in tennis? If Kobe skips a play-off series and the Lakers lose, do they get to play in the championship? If Nadal skips Cincy does he still get to play the US Open?

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes, and the costs are greatly exaggerated by his inability to find good times to rest. He's not supposed to miss Wimbledon. He's supposed to take a week off and not play Rotterdam, maybe skip Miami too. Go to Europe early and ease into the clay season. Every other player does this. Why does Nadal feel the need to grind himself into the ground until his injuries flare up at the worst possible moment.

I can't believe you can't understand the Kobe comparison. Let's look at it this way: How many major championships are in basketball? How many major championships are in tennis? If Kobe skips a play-off series and the Lakers lose, do they get to play in the championship? If Nadal skips Cincy does he still get to play the US Open?

yes skipping play-offs is different. I was comparing skipping normal tour events to skipping regular season games in basketball. I find that not all that different. Nadal and others are talking about reducing the number of atp tour events.

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:30 AM
^^^alread happened. Momos like you can't stop talking about it.

wait you have broken the story? NBC has picked it up?!!!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 09:31 AM
yes skipping play-offs is different. I was comparing skipping normal tour events to skipping regular season games in basketball. I find that not all that different. Nadal and others are talking about reducing the number of atp tour events.
Well, he doesnt need to play (with all due respect to these tournamnets) small tournaments like Rotterdam and Barcelona. He needs to plan better, simple as that.

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, he doesnt need to play (with all due respect to these tournamnets) small tournaments like Rotterdam and Barcelona. He needs to plan better, simple as that.

magic, my impression from reading some MTF posts is that nadal more or less plays the required # of tour events.

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 09:39 AM

That's why you have Federer with the same schedule, but making smarter choices.

If you look at Fed's schedule, it's usually the same length as Nadal's

However, Federer drops out of tournaments more often than Nadal because he could care less about losing points or whatnot

Nadal, however, has some paranoia about losing points or something, so he doesn't drop tournaments easy.

Playing Rotterdam was pure stupidity. I can kind of see how playing Barcelona was tough to pass up, he was going for 5 consecutive titles there, it's played at his club, it's in spain, on clay, etc, etc.

In hindsight, though, seems like both tournaments were a mistake - and that's true.

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Also does everyone else need to plan better as well? Let's not forget that blake, roddick and some others (murray?) are also saying it's a long season. It's very interesting that the one year roddick goes all out in terms of increasing his speed to compete at the top level he comes down with a knee sprain 80% of the way into the season.

drakulie
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM
wait you have broken the story? NBC has picked it up?!!!

as I said, people like you can't stop talking about it, momo.

TMF
10-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Except Nadal puts excessive amounts of time on the court.

You mean wasting excessive amounts of time between points(like Madrid semi)? Getting tire when 80% of time was dead time and the rest was playing time? Yeah right.

People get tire just waiting for him to serve!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 09:43 AM
magic, my impression from reading some MTF posts is that nadal more or less plays the required # of tour events.
He does? Im gonna have too check on that, but why doesnt he play the same events as Federer, i can understand that they are avoiding eachother for the big stages but too what prize?

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:45 AM

However, Federer drops out of tournaments more often than Nadal because he could care less about losing points or whatnot

Nadal, however, has some paranoia about losing points or something, so he doesn't drop tournaments easy.

Playing Rotterdam was pure stupidity. I can kind of see how playing Barcelona was tough to pass up, he was going for 5 consecutive titles there, it's played at his club, it's in spain, on clay, etc, etc.

In hindsight, though, seems like both tournaments were a mistake - and that's true.

Well it was a mistake even while it was happening this year. Usually he needs as many points as possible from the clay court season to go after the no. 1 so he goes all out. Earlier this year he was better on hard courts so he could have cut out a clay tournament with minimal effects on total points but he stuck to his usual schedule (habit, risk averse, got greedy, who knows). I noted this during the clay court season.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Very good post, totally agree with you.

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:46 AM
as I said, people like you can't stop talking about it, momo.

Are you making stuff up again? :)

bolo
10-13-2009, 09:47 AM
He does? Im gonna have too check on that, but why doesnt he play the same events as Federer, i can understand that they are avoiding eachother for the big stages but too what prize?

IIRC the mtf post said that he only played at most 1 more than the required # of tournaments last year.

bolo
10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
The guardian article says that players are required to play 18 tournaments. This year nadal will be at 16 if he plays paris and the year end tournament. Last year nadal played 19 including the olympics. The year before he played 20.

He's playing right around the number required by the tour.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 10:47 AM
The guardian article says that players are required to play 18 tournaments. This year nadal will be at 16 if he plays paris and the year end tournament. Last year nadal played 19 including the olympics. The year before he played 20.

He's playing right around the number required by the tour. Sure,but he can always avoid to if he thinks his body cant keep up.The ranking and everything else follows suit if you're playing well...if he wants to avoid burnout he can always opt out of the minor events.. it wont kill him.

Adi-das
10-13-2009, 10:49 AM
People get tire just waiting for him to serve!

Receivers buy a tire while waiting for Nadal to serve? Never heard such nonsense.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 10:51 AM
The reason he plays so many more matches is because he wins!

mandy01
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
The reason he plays so many more matches is because he wins!
Arent you telling me he's the only guy who wins 'em?
Roger went 92-5 in 2006 without once complaining about the schedule.
Nadal in his best year didnt rack up as many wins as Roger and was still whinning.

bolo
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Sure,but he can always avoid to if he thinks his body cant keep up.The ranking and everything else follows suit if you're playing well...if he wants to avoid burnout he can always opt out of the minor events.. it wont kill him.

The point is he is playing by the rules of the ATP game. Yes he can drop out of some tournaments (and take some fines?), I am in favor of that.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 10:56 AM
The point is he is playing by the rules of the ATP game. Yes he can drop out of some tournaments (and take some fines?), I am in favor of that. Sure,but I dont get his complaining unless he plans to come up with a reasonable way out.

bolo
10-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Sure,but I dont get his complaining unless he plans to come up with a reasonable way out.

not sure what that means. Are you saying you can't talk about a problem unless you already have the solution?

TMF
10-13-2009, 10:59 AM

He's playing right around the number required by the tour.

Thatís just to show Nadal couldnít keep up with a competitive sport like Tennis. Nadal had on good year 2008 and after that he couldnít continue to sustain the high level. He might as well play part time tennis instead of full time since he canít keep up with the playing field.

Cesc Fabregas
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
not sure what that means. Are you saying you can't talk about a problem unless you already have the solution?

Don't worry about Mandy Bolo, she knows jack all about tennis.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:11 AM
not sure what that means. Are you saying you can't talk about a problem unless you already have the solution? He whines about it.And its not like he himself is exactly wise killing himself in minor events and exhos..his match against Murray in Abu Dhabi was a real joke.They were both infact killing themselves for no apparent reason.

Cesc Fabregas
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
He whines about it.And its not like he himself is exactly wise killing himself in minor events and exhos..his match against Murray in Abu Dhabi was a real joke.They were both infact killing themselves for no apparent reason.

Theres people who payed good money to go and watch them pay, if they were bothing playing half-hearted then it would have been a diservice to the fans. Maybe Nadal and Murray have respect for the tennis fans and not Federer? Is that what your saying?

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Theres people who payed good money to go and watch them pay, if they were bothing playing half-hearted then it would have been a diservice to the fans. Maybe Nadal and Murray have respect for the tennis fans and not Federer? Is that what your saying?
No,I'm saying Federer has enough sense to not kill himself in exhos and opt out of minor events once a while.He can always play them next year.

mtommer
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with Roddick and Nadal about the need for a shorter tennis season.

I personally would like to see a season that's six months at the longest. Players would play 9 or 10 tournaments in their country once a week. The top 64 or so then play "conference" games (each country would have it's own Grand Slam) and entrance into the Super Slam "play off" tournament would be the conference champions as well as a few wild cards.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Arent you telling me he's the only guy who wins 'em?
Roger went 92-5 in 2006 without once complaining about the schedule.
Nadal in his best year didnt rack up as many wins as Roger and was still whinning.

Federer did complain that year. What are you TALKING about??

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM

She's the pits. She is just in love with Fed

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree with Roddick and Nadal about the need for a shorter tennis season.

I personally would like to see a season that's six months at the longest. Players would play 9 or 10 tournaments in their country once a week. The top 64 or so then play "conference" games (each country would have it's own Grand Slam) and entrance into the Super Slam "play off" tournament would be the conference champions as well as a few wild cards.

I agree. I think there need to be more tournaments locally. In the US there are so few.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Federer did complain that year. What are you TALKING about?? What I spoke about just flew over your head.

Adi-das
10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
What I spoke about just flew over your head.

Federer didn't complain to an umpire during a certain USO final.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM
What I spoke about just flew over your head.

Federer complained about the schedule back in 2006. You said he did not. You lose. Just because Federer doesn't complain every year doesn't mean it isn't a problem for many guys on tour.

TheFifthSet
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Who is Mandy Bolo?

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Federer complained about the schedule back in 2006. You said he did not. You lose. Just because Federer doesn't complain every year doesn't mean it isn't a problem for many guys on tour. what did he say?
How many times he complained in one calender year? :lol:

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Federer didn't complain to an umpire during a certain USO final. Was that in 2006? And did I say Roger never complains?

sureshs
10-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Federer didn't complain about bad light in the Wimby final.
Federer didn't complain about Del Potro in the USO final.
Federer didn't complain about the umpire in the USO final.
Federer didn't complain about Hawk Eye.
Federer didn't complain about mono and back pain and fatigue and pull out of tournaments.

bolo
10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Who is Mandy Bolo?

Cesc's strenghts are in tennis analysis. But he also spends his free time identifying new strains of the ebola virus. Mandy Bolo was his most recent discovery. :)

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Federer didn't complain about mono and back pain and fatigue and pull out of tournaments.
Nadal also complained about the light actually.Are you telling me the players could really see well in that light?
Agreed.he did.
Agreed.He did.
Nadal has been complaining for the last four or five years about his physical problems.LOL.He 's always tired and injured.

Cesc Fabregas
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Cesc's strenghts are in tennis analysis. But he also spends his free time identifying new strains of the ebola virus. Mandy Bolo was his most recent discovery. :)

Haha. What can I say, I live to give. :)

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM

He does a vveeeery poor at job at both. :D

jonnythan
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Roddick wasn't complaining that it's too difficult for him. He was saying it's ridiculous and unfair. Which it is.

Jason Lives
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
I think we all saw today that Roddick was right to complain after what happened in shanghai.

viduka0101
10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
never mind..................

Chadwixx
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Roddick is the last guy who should be complaining, he plays less than the williams sisters

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
He does a vveeeery poor at job at both. :D

I think he makes very enlightening posts and starts good topics.

defrule
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Just routinely tank first round matches.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I think he makes very enlightening posts and starts good topics.To each his own :D

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I think we all saw today that Roddick was right to complain after what happened in shanghai.

Banned after 6 posts! ROFL!

bolo
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM

a record possibly?

edmondsm
10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I honestly don't see what these players are complaining about. Nadal says he has to play from January-December. That is flat out not true. There are huge amounts of time during the season to take breaks.

Roddick sights Federer as having to skip the Shanghai event. Yeah Andy, he was tired so he told the ATP that he wasn't going to play. Is this really that hard to understand? Federer should teach a class for these whiners called Schedule Management 101. He seems to have mastered the disipline and Nadal and Roddick are still clueless.

TheTruth
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I can't believe this same stuff is still going on months later. It would be funny, if...

jamesblakefan#1
10-13-2009, 06:58 PM

It's because it was Jason Voorhees, who just got banned yesterday, returning under a new username.

akv89
10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I think that Nadal and Roddick are right to a certain degree. It's true that they can opt not to play tournaments, but tournaments are only a part of the time they spend on court. Obviously they spend a good deal of time on the practice court in between tournaments or in the gym to maintain their condition. By making the tour last from January to November, players are essentially expected to stay in playing condition for 11 months in the year because if they let up anytime during those eleven months, they have to spend even more time trying to regain their form. However, Nadal is not helping his case by playing more tournaments than he really needs to.

NamRanger
10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
I honestly don't see what these players are complaining about. Nadal says he has to play from January-December. That is flat out not true. There are huge amounts of time during the season to take breaks.

Roddick sights Federer as having to skip the Shanghai event. Yeah Andy, he was tired so he told the ATP that he wasn't going to play. Is this really that hard to understand? Federer should teach a class for these whiners called Schedule Management 101. He seems to have mastered the disipline and Nadal and Roddick are still clueless.

Roddick is actually very good at schedule management; I'm not sure why he's complaining though. Nadal on the other hand, is complaining due to his poor schedule management.

rommil
10-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Jason lives , Jason dies after 6 post....

Baikalic
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
a record possibly?

wouldn't that record belong to those random solicitors that come in every so often? I think there was one last night in fact.

li0scc0
10-15-2009, 04:47 AM

True, but in an actual 3 hour tennis match, you aren't playing for 3 hours. Tape such an event and then edit out the time between points. Actual playing time is, surprisingly, low.

jonnythan
10-15-2009, 05:22 AM
The average starting player in football spends about 6 hours a year actually engaged in plays in games.

6 hours a year.

Just sayin.

jamesblakefan#1
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Obviously I know we are all very blessed to be able to be able to play tennis, but when asked what I think could improve the tour, I will definitely share my opinion . . .I think a shorter schedule will keep stars like Roger and Rafa around for more years and therefore be beneficial for the sport that we all love. I just donít think it makes sense that we have a year as long as we do, and then people act shocked when injuries play a part.

If you would combine Palm Springs and Miami to three weeks combined, and cancel the off week between Paris (Bercy) and (the year end) Masters, you would eliminate two weeks without canceling any tournament. It would take some cooperation from those tournaments which might be the problem at this point. Plus if you had Monday and Tuesday night finals in Palms Springs you wouldnít be going against March Madness on the weekends there which would make for better TV.

He also referenced the comments Safin made going at him on the schedule issue.

(Our discussion) wasnít exactly about the calendar. It was more about the fact that there was too much tennis in the Summer of 2004. I agreed with this, but found it odd that he (Safin) chose to play in Sopot the week before on clay. I didnít think it gave him much of an argument as far as complaining about too much tennis. That being said, I really like Marat and his opinions and am excited that at the very least this issue is getting discussed and yes, I certainly feel like I know more now than I did when I was 21. I donít really know anyone who wouldnít feel that way 6 years further into a career. . .

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/10/15/andy-roddick-proposes-a-fix-to-the-atp-calendar/

P_Agony
10-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Don't forget Federer has 18 slams by now (1 FO, 5 Wimblys, 3 AO, 5 USO, 3 Cincy), is the undisputed GOAT, and all of this is according to you.

Morrissey
10-15-2009, 03:44 PM

That's funny because he complained about all of those things. But because Federer did it, people here forget that. Or it's ok, because Fed said it. Double standards here? Nah!

Morrissey
10-15-2009, 03:45 PM
People have complained about the schedule since the 90's. Unless you get everyone on the same page and unite against it nothing will change.

darrinbaker00
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Shorter tour schedule = longer off-season exhibition schedule = more $$$ for guys like Nadal and Roddick

TheTruth
10-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Eleven months out of twelve is bad.

Knowing this, players have be wise about their scheduling. But, it's pretty hard as a top player to take breaks when you need it, unless you drop out of events you've committed to and say be danged to whoever doesn't like it.

A tough call.

Cesc Fabregas
10-16-2009, 02:21 AM

Knowing this, players have be wise about their scheduling. But, it's pretty hard as a top player to take breaks when you need it, unless you drop out of events you've committed to and say be danged to whoever doesn't like it.

A tough call.

Good to see you posting again. I think you're an excellent poster.

TheTruth
10-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Good to see you posting again. I think you're an excellent poster.

Thanks! And ditto!

Inner Game
10-16-2009, 03:28 AM

I love this post!! So true! if Nadal and Roddick don't like it just retire then they will have plenty of time off.....You never saw Connors complaining about playing too much...Back then you didn't make millions in endorsements before even stepping on the court...

Andy, you better enjoy your time with the Brooklyn Bridge because when your done with tennis she'll be done with you....

mandy01
10-16-2009, 04:35 AM
Obviously I know we are all very blessed to be able to be able to play tennis, but when asked what I think could improve the tour, I will definitely share my opinion . . .I think a shorter schedule will keep stars like Roger and Rafa around for more years and therefore be beneficial for the sport that we all love. I just don’t think it makes sense that we have a year as long as we do, and then people act shocked when injuries play a part.

If you would combine Palm Springs and Miami to three weeks combined, and cancel the off week between Paris (Bercy) and (the year end) Masters, you would eliminate two weeks without canceling any tournament. It would take some cooperation from those tournaments which might be the problem at this point. Plus if you had Monday and Tuesday night finals in Palms Springs you wouldn’t be going against March Madness on the weekends there which would make for better TV.

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/10/15/andy-roddick-proposes-a-fix-to-the-atp-calendar/

Cancel out the week between Paris and TMC?
I think thats crazy.You definitely need time between a masters event and the most important event after slams .
As someone pointed out...the top guys themselves are not sure of how short a schedule they want and a few guys at the top, complaining away isnt going to make the ATP take drastic measures in their favour.

rommil
10-16-2009, 07:55 AM

A tough call.

The next question is that have players like Nadal made some changes in their game and scheduling to accomodate playing and not getting hurt? Pros like that remind you of people at work who....well, complains. It's one thing to bring up a point but it's another when you see those pros/people not doing a thing about it, especially factors they CAN control.
For somebody touted as a rare physical specimen, a beast, an animal, Rafa sure does a lot of complaining about working long and tough. He is a great fighter on court but when it comes to his scheduling and practice, he sure is one of the dumbest and most stubborn.

Talker
10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
It's not so much the schedule, it's what the players are adding to thier training regimen.

The players have to practice harder, like Murray did last year at off season, to stay ot the top.

No one is going to be around the top ten anymore with regular practices from only ten years ago.
Many players are adding weight room and endurance workouts on top of tennis specific exercises.
Add all this to the schedule and you have overtraining with injuries.

Everyone is trying to get an edge this way and it seems to be more than the body can take.

The players have a choice of cutting down on training between tournaments or cutting down on tournaments.

With all this added workouts to gain an edge they have to find a happy median with the actual tournaments.

SLD76
10-16-2009, 02:17 PM
oRoddick sights Federer as having to skip the Shanghai event. Yeah Andy, he was tired so he told the ATP that he wasn't going to play. Is this really that hard to understand? Federer should teach a class for these whiners called Schedule Management 101. He seems to have mastered the disipline and Nadal and Roddick are still clueless.

In fairness, its easier to pick and choose tourneys when you are number 1 or two. That said, Nadal still whines too much, but I can understand for Roddick.
But, even that said, for a guy that skipped alot of the clay season, his whining does sounds a tad ridiculous. Also, that Roddick citing of Fed is a mini fail, as part of the break had to be b/c of the kids. I mean, I think Fed could care crap all about Shanghai measured against his newborns, otherwise I think he would have played unless Roddick knows something we dont( and thats entirely possible) and Fed really is injured(which would explain the god awful serving at the USO)

JeMar
10-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Honestly, Nadal and Roddick can afford to just skip the tournaments they don't want to play like Federer does.

Players that aren't as rich yet can imitate Federer when he wasn't quite as established as he is now and just show up to the tournament and lose in the first round. See Cincy for reference.