PDA

View Full Version : Floating

albino smurf
10-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Played yesterday and was feeling really fresh. At times I was moving completely effortlessly and it felt like I was floating. It was great. Got to everything effortlessly and if anything I felt like I had too much time. Anybody else ever get this sensation? Any hints on how to condition to maintain this for longer?? I do a lot of running in the off season, stairs, sprints and distance... should I add weight training? Advice appreciated in advance.

LeeD
10-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Always great to play "in the zone"...
Unfortunately, and you can't help it, "in the zone" only happens once in a blue moon....or it'd be nothing special and you do it everyday...:):)
Watch ball, early prep, turn shoulders, stroke thru with followthru, pay attention, is all you can do.
Like women, it comes, it goes, and you're left behind as a spectator....

spacediver
10-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I think there are ways to get in the zone on a more regular basis.

Look up flow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

albino smurf
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Not so much in the zone as just really fresh legs, so much so that footwork was simple and I just felt really light moving around. I'll check that link. thx.

mike53
10-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Any hints on how to condition to maintain this for longer??

An excellent question. As desirable as it may be, it's not at all clear that there is any safe method to extend the amount of time you get to spend in this exceptional condition. What may be more achievable is to be able to manipulate certain factors so that you can get yourself into this state of being at a specific time that is most advantageous for you, like the day of a big match. Any idea why yesterday was such a good day for you?

IStern
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
One thing I've noticed (still learning,) is that when I get frustrated I tend to focus on my opponent rather than focusing on the ball. The result is that I'm off-balance and reacting late, feeling like the ball is going much faster and I'm having a hard time catching up and getting a clean hit.

If I force myself to always watch the ball on either side of the court, then everything slows down and I find myself reacting as soon as the ball leaves my opponent's racquet, with great results.

albino smurf
10-13-2009, 04:22 AM
An excellent question. As desirable as it may be, it's not at all clear that there is any safe method to extend the amount of time you get to spend in this exceptional condition. What may be more achievable is to be able to manipulate certain factors so that you can get yourself into this state of being at a specific time that is most advantageous for you, like the day of a big match. Any idea why yesterday was such a good day for you?

def well rested, but had been hitting frequently in the weeks leading up to it. took two days off and will get back out today to see if it is just being fresh.

thanks to all for comments.

LuckyR
10-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Played yesterday and was feeling really fresh. At times I was moving completely effortlessly and it felt like I was floating. It was great. Got to everything effortlessly and if anything I felt like I had too much time. Anybody else ever get this sensation? Any hints on how to condition to maintain this for longer?? I do a lot of running in the off season, stairs, sprints and distance... should I add weight training? Advice appreciated in advance.

Yes, absolutely don't concentrate on this issue. The second you think about it, it is gone.