PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Open 2010

Scuderia
10-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Has anyone been to the Aussie Open before?

Im trying to plan my first trip for 2010 January. Been looking at several websites, and many says they have reserved seats but are these seats actually good?

I wouldnt want to be sitting at the top deck, cause i know you wont be able to see a thing.

So to all the people that been to the Aussie Open before, i'd kindly like to ask you of several questions

1) What website / travel agency gives good packages?
2) How can you reserve a good seat package/or no package(not trying for any box seat, but at least something in the middle section).
3) Accomodation - im guessing traffic will be a problem, so whats the best place to stay at?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your responses!

ah10is
10-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I went in 2005. It is my favorite tournament by far! We bought our tickets directly from the official tournament website/ticket broker. If you buy from another source, the ticket prices are jacked up big time! Especially if you use some tennis tour company! Our tickets were about $60 US and we sat 10 rows from the baseline in Rod Laver arena in the shade! It was totally awesome! If you are willing to do a little research, you can do the trip for 1/2 the cost than those tours offer them for! Air fair and hotels we booked through expedia.com. If you have a ticket to the tournament, the public transportation to get you there was free! Plus a lot of the hotels are in walking distance to the tournament! Hope this helps! Good luck! It's the most fan friendly tournament in he world! Can't wait to go again!!! Also, if you are planning to do a little sight seeing....do the 12 Apossile - Great Ocean Road Scenic tour! It was amazing!

doom
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey I have been a few times too and ah10is is right about everything he said.

Its best to buy the tickets directly, and the only way to ensure good seats is to buy as early as possible. You can buy packages for several sessions, but i dont know how good these packages are since I have never used them myself.

Accomodation is pretty easy. Anywhere in the city and it will be easy to get to the tournament. If you have a ticke to the event there is free public transport from the city to the tennis centre, and the trams and trains are very easy to navigate.

Have fun

protel
10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
you may want to visit the official Australian Open TicketBox

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/

I bought my tickets in August so I get quite decent seat locations

I personally never been into this event before and looking forward to it!

Hope that site helps

Geezer Guy
11-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I've not been to the Australian Open, but I have been to the US OPen. My wife and I booked with Steve Furgals Tennis Tours (or something like that). Website is www.Tours4Tennis.com They took care of everything. We were allowed to choose our own ticket package, so you can spend a bunch and get great seats, or spend less and get not-so-great seats. You can vary the length of your stay to fit your needs, and for the US Open there were 2 hotels to choose from. One was expensive, the other was very expensive (but, about average for New York). They provided daily transportation to and from the site. I assume most of that would apply to the Aus Open as well. We were both pleased with their service.

Have fun at the Australian Open. I'd love to go there some year.

West Coast Ace
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Has anyone been to the Aussie Open before?

Im trying to plan my first trip for 2010 January. Been looking at several websites, and many says they have reserved seats but are these seats actually good?I got my tickets in '00 from Grand Slam Tennis Tour - they were in the 1st row - maybe better than what you want. And they aren't cheap - supply and demand and the Aussie Open has grown in popularity. GSTT does tours with everything included.

One thing about seats: depending on your tolerance, some of the seats are in the midday sun - and as I'm sure you know it can be brutal on hot days. Might want to check with whoever you buy from. Those 'top' seats you said you don't want will be covered most of the time. And I think you'll be surprised - Laver isn't 'that big' - the seats at the top aren't that bad. I walked up between matches and it would be ok.

I concur with the person who said you should go directly to the Aussie Open website - they do sell tickets there. But you might be late for this year and have limited selection. Might have to settle for Vodaphone or Margaret Court Arena (court #3).

As far as hotels the CBD - Central Business District is where you want to stay. It will be a 15 min walk or short trolley ride to the complex. Agoda.com is a consolidator (like Priceline, Expedia, etc here in the States) for Asia-Pac.
I wouldn't rent a car. The city is pretty compact (so is Sydney if you're going to stop over -and you should) and they have mass transportation. The trolley in Melbourne (and start practicing - it's pronounced 'mel-bun') will take you to various neighborhoods.

Do you have airline tickets yet? Qantas limits competition in/out of AU - so prices are evil and I doubt at this late date you can get any seats for frequent flyer miles.

Good luck. I want to go back.

Scuderia
11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, i've gotten my hands on several tickets but dont know which days to go to. My girlfriend and I are diehard fans of Fed, so we'd like to watch him as much as possible as we will be there for 3 days.

Does anyone know what days he'd be playing (as i know the draw isnt out yet). Does the winner of last year usually start Day 1 and loser on Day 2 - or is it totally random?

Thanks!