PDA

View Full Version : Football/Tennis and footwork

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Do you think American players and hence the professional sport for America is at a disadvantage because most of us do not grow up playing soccer (football)?

The footwork and leg coordination required in soccer as a child probably helps the Europeans and South Americans in their tennis careers. Nadal and Federer both grew up playing soccer as well.

Any thoughts on this?

kOaMaster
10-13-2009, 09:56 AM
not sure, bc I had the feeling that a lot of kids in the US play football too. sure not as popular as almost everywhere else, but still...
and I don't think its very helpful either. I played in a club for 8 years in my youth, still play it nowadays 1-2 times a week but switched to badminton/tennis and the only thing I really used was the fitness. that did help. but footwork? mh...football makes you often walk like a duck, that can't be good :D

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Do you think American players and hence the professional sport for America is at a disadvantage because most of us do not grow up playing soccer (football)?

The footwork and leg coordination required in soccer as a child probably helps the Europeans and South Americans in their tennis careers. Nadal and Federer both grew up playing soccer as well.

Any thoughts on this?
Great thread, there might be some good connection too that, although there are other sports that might be even better such as track and field gymnastics and balett?

edmondsm
10-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Definitely possible. No sport teaches you coordination with your feet like soccer. But we play a fair amount of basketball in this country and the footwork of a great point guard is not too shabby.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
To Koa, the kids who play soccer in the US are totally different I think than the kids who play tennis. None of the soccer players in my HS played tennis.

Of course, it could go back to the culture/popularity thing as well. Americans are all about "teams" (in work and school) and want their kids to play the most popular sports (like baseball and football), especially in the South.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
To Koa, the kids who play soccer in the US are totally different I think than the kids who play tennis. None of the soccer players in my HS played tennis.

Of course, it could go back to the culture/popularity thing as well. Americans are all about "teams" (in work and school) and want their kids to play the most popular sports (like baseball and football), especially in the South.
Thats very interesting, i didnt know, i guess culture plays a big part.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
TMOP, this could just be my HS of course! I'm curious about other posters from the US and what they think.

This is all anecdotal evidence :)

phoenicks
10-13-2009, 10:42 AM
the benefit of soccer carries over to tennis if you've learn proper soccer fundamentals like dribbling. It helps tremendously in agility explosiveness and body balance.

dafox
10-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, at least in Northern California, the best athletes at most schools play team sports such as basketball and football. Baseball is even having a tough time getting the best athletes to play it. It’s sad, but just a fact of the United States. Check out the TV ratings for the NFL – American citizens love football and football has a grip on the American youth best athletes