PDA

View Full Version : Federer complains ....

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
..about the schedule. This is 3 years old, when Murray first beat Fed at Cinci 2006.

Interestingly, the year after this, 2007, they allowed the top seeds byes into R32 at Canada and Cinci. Until 2006, they had to play from R64.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/sports/620046/federer_stunned_by_murray_unhappy_at_schedule/index.html

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - Roger Federer suffered his first defeat before a final for 14 months when he was stunned by rising Briton Andy Murray 7-5 6-4 in the second round of the Cincinnati Masters on Wednesday.

Federer, who won the Toronto Masters Series event last week, complained his schedule was becoming too hectic.

"You've got to be a bit realistic. Winning back-to-back Masters Series, 12 matches in 13 days, it's just something impossible," Federer told reporters.

"If they don't start changing, maybe giving the seeds byes, I don't see any point why players should play back-to-back Masters Series anymore."

So, what do you say about this?

Cesc Fabregas
10-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Watch Mandy0hyprocrite make all the excuses now for Federer, when she has been slating Nadal in other theads.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I think Federer has a point here because, as I remember, you cannot skip a Masters without a good reason.

So, if you are playing 2 weeks every day in Montreal and Cinci, you have a right to complain, especially if you wanna win both.

But, complaining is complaining.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
comparing apples to oranges much? Didnt he say winning these events isnt easy because of the time-slot?
Did he say he was going to burn out?
How many times has Nadal literally whined about the schedule?countless.
More importantly didnt he come up with a solution instead of just whinning away?

Adi-das
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Watch Mandy0hyprocrite make all the excuses now for Federer, when she has been slating Nadal in other theads.

Because this artical is 3 years old Mandy will not accept it.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 11:08 AM
comparing apples to oranges much?

or monkeys to goats?

But, they actually changed the system after this.

Federer suggested the byes for top seeds, and voila, the next year the top seeds got byes into the 2nd round.

And, mandy01, please, it wasn't just Nadal who whined. Probably, every single top player has whined at one time or another.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
or monkeys to goats?

Federer suggested the byes for top seeds, and voila, the next year the top seeds got byes into the 2nd round. yeah..I suppose they found the solution reasonable :wink:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
or monkeys to goats?

Federer suggested the byes for top seeds, and voila, the next year the top seeds got byes into the 2nd round.
Of course, everyone listens too the main man :)
Also, this might have been said in frustration.

TMF
10-13-2009, 11:16 AM
2006 Roger played 97 matches.

How many matches did Roddick and Nadal played this year?

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:17 AM
or monkeys to goats?

And, mandy01, please, it wasn't just Nadal who whined. Probably, every single top player has whined at one time or another.
Nadal does it more often than anyone I've seen.Other players complain once a while..he whines.
He always has something to complain/whine about-Schedule,too many tournaments on hard courts,doping rules,not having a ranking system like golf where the player gets protected ranking etc.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Nadal does more often than anyone I've seen.
He always has something to complain about-Schedule,too many tournaments on hard courts,doping rules,not having a ranking system like golf where the player gets protected ranking etc.
Agree, he whines a lot more than everyone else.

viduka0101
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Agree, he whines a lot more than everyone else.

the only people i see here whining are drakulie, cesc fabregas, mandy, you mr. magician and a few others i can't remember
and it's been going on more than a week, the General Pro Player Discussion section sucks
special mention to drakulie again, the king of whiners
(don't even try to post that stupid baby crying picture)

BigServer1
10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Complaining is complaining...Most of these guys do it, and they do it for good reason. The schedule in Tennis is absolutely ridiculous, and it should change.

Federer played a ton of matches in 2006, but he only entered 17 events...He played so many matches because he was a finalist in 16 of those events and won 12. Nadal, Roddick and others have also complained about the schedule after long seasons, sometimes injury plagued.

The ATP needs to reconcile this...The season should start in February and end in October, with November, December and January being months where tennis doesn't happen on the Tour 1000-Grand Slam level.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-13-2009, 11:28 AM
the only people i see here whining are drakulie, cesc fabregas, mandy, you mr. magician and a few others i can't remember
and it's been going on more than a week, the General Pro Player Discussion section sucks
special mention to drakulie again, the king of whiners
(don't even try to post that stupid baby crying picture)
With all due respect, i am not a whiner, im a debater.

SuperDuy
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, I think at the time murray was ranked lower so that is probably why they played, now they would be in different ones in draw.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
2006 Roger played 97 matches.

How many matches did Roddick and Nadal played this year?

Not a lot.

10 chars.

-------------------

Is that the record btw?

He only played 17 tournaments that year. That's one less than the currenltly prescribed number :confused:

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
^^ and how do you propose that to happen?You do realise the tour revolves not just around top players but others too?
You do realise there are many other interests vested in a sport that is as it is very expensive.
Top players can easily opt out of events.Thet CAN afford it.

TMF
10-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Not a lot.

10 chars.

-------------------

Is that the record btw?

He only played 17 tournaments that year. That's one less than the currenltly prescribed number :confused:

Number of tourneys means nothing, it's how much matches you played.

When Nadal/roddick played that much, then you can compared with rogerís complaint. Otherwise, itís apple to orange.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM

When Nadal/roddick played that much, then you can compared with rogerís complaint. Otherwise, itís apple to orange.

I am just saying that it's interesting that he played so many matches in so few tournaments.

He just played the obligatory events (slams, masters, MC, Davis Cup), his favorites Dubai, Halle and Basel, and also Tokyo and Doha.

After 2006, he stopped playing Doha and Tokyo. So you can say that he started managing his schedule, unlike Rafa. But, apparently, he got ATP to change the rules since the following years they allowed the byes for top seeds.

So, someone listened to him. They didn't just tell him to tough it out and manage himself better.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:44 AM
^ he dosent control the ATP..He didnt get them to change anything.He proposed the solution they found reasonable.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
^ he dosent control the ATP..He didnt get them to change anything.He proposed the solution they found reasonable.

I never said he "dose" control ATP. But apparently, they found the complaint reasonable.

But see, Federer felt exhausted (or whatever you may call it) in 2006 without playing too many tournaments (only 17). He always plays Basel because it's his home city, and he plays Halle to prepare for Wimby. Apart from that, he only played 3 more.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I never said he "dose" control ATP. But apparently, they found the complaint reasonable.

But see, Federer felt exhausted (or whatever you may call it) in 2006 without playing too many tournaments (only 17).
er..no he didnt..he didnt say he was exhausted.He spoke about the time-slot in which two events were held and the difficulty caused in going back-to-back in these events.
They found his solution reasonable.And I'm sure other players were consulted before implementing this.

viduka0101
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM

matches played per year
Nadal Federer
2005 89 85
2006 71 97
2007 85 77
2008 93 81
2009(so far) 66 63
-----------------------------------
404 403

roddick would obviously have less matches, care to comment?

viduka0101
10-13-2009, 11:54 AM
er..no he didnt..he didnt say he was exhausted.He spoke about the time-slot in which two events were held and the difficulty caused in going back-to-back in these events.
They found his solution reasonable.And I'm sure other players were consulted before implementing this.

didn't nadal complain about that when it comes to the clay cort season

mandy01
10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
didn't nadal complain about that when it comes to the clay cort seasonLast time I checked players are given byes in the clay court masters as well :?

Badger
10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I think Federer has a point here because, as I remember, you cannot skip a Masters without a good reason.

So, if you are playing 2 weeks every day in Montreal and Cinci, you have a right to complain, especially if you wanna win both.

But, complaining is complaining.

Dito. But still, complaining is complaining.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Last time I checked players are given byes in the clay court masters as well :?

It seems to me that they gave byes in Canada and Cinci because Federer complained about it. But, judging by your standards, Federer was a whiner in 2006.

So, maybe if Nadal and Roddick come up with some solution rather than just whining, they will accept it, too. And then, they will no longer be whiners but respectable public personas who do their best to come up with good solutions to difficult problems.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
It seems to me that they gave byes in Canada and Cinci because Federer complained about it. But, judging by your standards, Federer was a whiner in 2006.
So, maybe if Nadal and Roddick come up with some solution rather than just whining, they will accept it, too.
er....he complained like once? AND he proposed a solution instead of just whinning away.
And no,they didnt do anything BEACUSE of Federer.But you are free to wear those tin hats.

Sure,if they have a reasonable solution why wouldnt the ATP accept it?

Jason Lives
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
er....he complained like once? AND he proposed a solution instead of just whinning away.
And no,they didnt do anything BEACUSE of Federer.But you are free to wear those tin hats.

Actually federer has complained thousands of times but because there are so many fedfans out there, the majority fail to see it (or they can't face facts)

viduka0101
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Last time I checked players are given byes in the clay court masters as well :?

he wanted more rest betweem masters tournaments, and i somehow doubt it's all federers idea, it was all probably in the making
IMO they shouldn't have to play ATP1000 tournaments one immediately afther the other with or without the byes

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM

What's a tin hat? I never suggested that Federer controls the ATP. The solution he proposed was probably a good one, although the lower-ranked were not too pleased by it.

But, why did he have to even question the rules? Why not just manage his schedule better and tank some masters along the way?

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
he wanted more rest betweem masters tournaments, and i somehow doubt it's all federers idea, it was all probably in the making
IMO they shouldn't have to play ATP1000 tournaments one immediately afther the other with or without the byes IMO He should really not play Barcelona at times.I dont get why he goes for 3 weeks back-to-back of tennis.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
What's a tin hat? I never suggested that Federer controls the ATP. The solution he proposed was probably a good one, although the lower-ranked were not too pleased by it.

But, why did he have to even question the rules? Why not just manage his schedule better and tank some masters along the way?
The lower-ranked players I'm sure would've been better pleased to have some matches under their belts before meeting the top ranked players.

As far as I can see Roger's done an excellent job of managing his schedule :D

viduka0101
10-13-2009, 12:21 PM
IMO He should really not play Barcelona at times.I dont get why he goes for 3 weeks back-to-back of tennis.

i agree,he shouldn't, he probably has reasons for playing there(home soil, fans, loves the tournament...)

also, i'm still waiting for TMF to comment does the guy who played the most matches in the last 54 and a half years really have a right to complain and i would like an explanation about the whole apples and oranges scheme

Jason Lives
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
FEDERER COMPLAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah yeah OP tell us something we didn't know.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM

er. do you have to talk in such a rude way? er...

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
i agree,he shouldn't, he probably has reasons for playing there(home soil, fans, loves the tournament...)

I do think he can miss it once a while..Roger's missed Basel and he loves that tourney.He could've missed Monte Carlo this year because it wasnt mandatory as far as I know.

Ledigs
10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
IMO He should really not play Barcelona at times.I dont get why he goes for 3 weeks back-to-back of tennis.

Because those are important tournaments

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
er. do you have to talk in such a rude way? er...What was rude about my comment?

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Because those are important tournaments

Barcelona is a 500 event which can be missed once a while..

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I do think he can miss it once a while..Roger's missed Basel and he loves that tourney.He could've missed Monte Carlo this year because it wasnt manadtory as far as I know.

OK, tell me now, if ATP does something because of complaining from various players, then will you still call them whiners?

I agree that they can skip some tournaments. If Nadal plays Barcelona next year and then complains about recurring pain, then he's an idiot.

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
OK, tell me now, if ATP does something because of complaining from various players, then will you still call them whiners? Probably not because it means they will have have discussed and found out a resonable solution.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Probably not because it means they will have have discussed and found out a resonable solution.

OK, we can agree about that, then.

All-rounder
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow you got a article from federer 3 years ago. BTW federer played 95 atp matches in that season surprisingly he won 90 of them you don't expect him to got 100% for a season

mandy01
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow you got a article from federer 3 years ago. BTW federer played 95 atp matches in that season surprisingly he won 90 of them you don't expect him to got 100% for a seasonHe was 92-5 actually :wink:

IvanAndreevich
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Federer's such a crybaby. If he was the real GOAT he could win back to back matches every day for decades.

zagor
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM
OK, tell me now, if ATP does something because of complaining from various players, then will you still call them whiners?

I agree that they can skip some tournaments. If Nadal plays Barcelona next year and then complains about recurring pain, then he's an idiot.

The problem with Nadal is that he complains about schedule and similar and then goes on to play tourneys like Rotterdam and plays doubles on top of singles.He should not rest his hopes on ATP or whomever is in charege on putting player's health first,it's all about money in every sport.Instead Nadal should just balance his schedule more wisely,like when he skipped TMC and DC final last year and voila he won AO this year.

luckyboy1300
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

But see, Federer felt exhausted (or whatever you may call it) in 2006 without playing too many tournaments (only 17). He always plays Basel because it's his home city, and he plays Halle to prepare for Wimby. Apart from that, he only played 3 more.

while he did play in only 17 tournaments, remember that in 2006 he has reached all finals except for cinci, so the amount of matches he played is insane already. it doesn't make any sense counting the number of tournaments entered because for all we know, a player enters 32 tournaments but lost in 1st or 2nd round everytime. therefore he'll only have about 40 matches played while entering 32 tourneys.

flyinghippos101
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Federer's such a crybaby. If he was the real GOAT he could win back to back matches every day for decades.

And if he were the REAL GOAT, He'd at the moment would have 21 grand slams and wouldn't have let fat Nably beat him at the AO early on

Blinkism
10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, Nadal complains and Federer complains but the fact behind everything is that the tour puts pressure on the top players.

They should market the rest of the Top 20, instead, so there's less pressure on the Top 4 "big names" of tennis and then start changing the rules about the tour schedule so that the rest of the Top 20 tacks slack off the Top 4 guys..

Btw, the word "complain" has negative connotations on TW, but Nadal and Federer have as much right to complain as they want as they are on the ATP Player's Council, this is their job, and all they want is to improve the tour.

flyinghippos101
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok, Nadal complains and Federer complains but the fact behind everything is that the tour puts pressure on the top players.

They should market the rest of the Top 20, instead, so there's less pressure on the Top 4 "big names" of tennis and then start changing the rules about the tour schedule so that the rest of the Top 20 tacks slack off the Top 4 guys..

Btw, the word "complain" has negative connotations on TW, but Nadal and Federer have as much right to complain as they want as they are on the ATP Player's Council, this is their job, and all they want is to improve the tour.

Good post. I agree, "complain" I guess is a somewhat strong word. Words such as "weenie" "whiner" and "guy that b*tches the most" are sufficient replacements

jackson vile
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
With all due respect, i am not a whiner, im a debater.

Yea you are the master-bator LOL, these little boys have more time on their hands than a homelss man with a bottle of lotion LOL:)

JK, you are a great guy.

ubermeyer
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
well... in a way he and nadal are kind of right that the schedule is too packed

TheTruth
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
New articles out currently about Roddick complaining about the schedules. An almost one month off-season is cause for any top player to complain about. What's the big deal?

World Beater
10-13-2009, 08:12 PM
dont the top seeds get byes now?

also two masters series in a row isnt the same as the duration of the calendar.

Blinkism
10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Bump
10char

Chadwixx
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
..about the schedule. This is 3 years old, when Murray first beat Fed at Cinci 2006.

I think im seeing a pattern with all these complaints

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-14-2009, 02:18 PM
while he did play in only 17 tournaments, remember that in 2006 he has reached all finals except for cinci, so the amount of matches he played is insane already. it doesn't make any sense counting the number of tournaments entered because for all we know, a player enters 32 tournaments but lost in 1st or 2nd round everytime. therefore he'll only have about 40 matches played while entering 32 tourneys.

But isn't that the problem?

Federer played a huge number of matches while playing only 17 tournaments (4 slams, 9 masters, 1 MC, and 3 others, including his personal favorites Halle and Basel).