PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Pain

SlapChop
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Anyone have anything good to help with ankle pain? I am not sure why they are hurting so much but the last two weeks they have been sore. My left is more sore than my right but both of them are hurting. I play Tennis 4 - 5 days a week.

LeeD
10-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I've had a left ankle sprain since LAST Sept, when my tennis season started. I haven't played more than once every month since April. It's still sprained, swells some, is weak, and gives out in uneven ground.
So hope yours heals a bit quicker than mine isn't.

SlapChop
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I am thinking I might need some sort of wrap or brace to make sure I do not aggravate the injury.

Xenakis
10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
If you can manage it...

Don't play tennis or do anything that might make the injury worse until the pain has subsided.

In the meantime, stretch the injured area properly every day (warm up a bit first.) You shouldn't feel any pain but should feel the stretches working.

After 7-10 days if it hasn't got any better, see a sports physio.

If you want a shortcut, put a brace on it/them and continue playing but put some stretches into your schedule (before and after playing.) But that might make the problem worse, safe option is to take 7-10 days off and see how it is then and ideally see a sports physio ASAP, they will know best (I am just relaying info I have got from sports physios and books etc.)

One book I think is worth buying is 'The Anatomy of Stretching' by Brad Walker. Lists lots of stretches for the whole body, you'll find some in there for your ankles (though the problem might not be located in your ankles, could be some connected muscles/tendon, a physio would be able to diagnose it.)