PDA

View Full Version : up and coming girls

firstserve
10-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I havent really heard or have gotten to see much of the future for American tennis regarding the girls in the 16s and 18s in socal? Who are some of these up in coming players who have a chance to go pro or play at a high collegiate level?

tacoben
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I havent really heard or have gotten to see much of the future for American tennis regarding the girls in the 16s and 18s in socal? Who are some of these up in coming players who have a chance to go pro or play at a high collegiate level?

I was at the Girls 18 Nationals in Berkeley last August and two girls that I was very impressed with were, Nicole Gibbs and Krista Hardebeck. I believe Krista is only 15 years of age?....and also is this year's winner of the Girls Clay Court National Championship. Both are from So CaL.

And just so you know, Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego will be hosting the combined 16s and 18s Girls National next year.

TnsMan2
10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
madison keys is about the only one i see coming down the pipe

T10s747
10-20-2009, 07:46 AM
tacoben, did u see Christina McHale play?

tacoben
10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
tacoben, did u see Christina McHale play?
Yes, I was there for the semis and finals. McHale is an awesome player! She dominated her finals opponent, giving up only a breadstick (after nearly double bageling her). Her semis match with Gail Brodsky was a barn burner. I termed it, the "Battle of the Hudson River"...since McHale is from New Jersey and Brodsky from Brooklyn New York.

Michael Pemulis
11-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Have you ever seen Hayley Carter of Columbia, SC? She won El Paso (Itf G5) at 14 y.o. Not bat at all!

chalkflewup
11-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Perhaps Madison Keys gets a lot of the talk and rightfully so, however; there are quite a few American girls out there that can play the game. At 16, Nicole Gibbs can play as can Asia Muhammed, Sloan Stephens, Beatrice Capra, etc...

I'm not saying these girls are going to tear up the tour but they got plenty of game. I believe Gibbs and Capra were both selected to join the US Fed Cup Team.

coloskier
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Have you ever seen Hayley Carter of Columbia, SC? She won El Paso (Itf G5) at 14 y.o. Not bat at all!

Very consistent player, but tends to push a lot. She will need to learn how to handle a power player to advance much farther. The girl that gave her the most trouble at El Paso hits the ball as hard as a man, but had some consistency problems. When she was on her game, Hayley was blown off the court. But then she slipped mentally, and Hayley outlasted her.

Miami Tiburon
12-29-2009, 04:20 AM
From what I witnessed at the Junior Orange Bowl when you consider age hands down its Madison Keys.At 14 and already playing in the 18's, and among the top players in the age group.She gave the #1 junior girl from France all she could handle in a three setter but just ran out of gas.By the Evert academy entourage she had with her alot of people are banking on her sucess as a future pro.

10isDad
12-29-2009, 04:28 AM

Why limit it to SoCal? There are plenty of very good girls in other sections. For example, Nicole Melichar, a Floridian who is training in the Phoenix area with Nick Blackwood and Andrei Pavel.

While perhaps not at a pro level (she has one win in the main draw of a $50K challenger against a player ranked around 250 but recently lost big to Angela Haynes in a local $$$ tourney), my guess is she'd be a very good college player.

TennisCoachFLA
12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
From what I witnessed at the Junior Orange Bowl when you consider age hands down its Madison Keys.At 14 and already playing in the 18's, and among the top players in the age group.She gave the #1 junior girl from France all she could handle in a three setter but just ran out of gas.By the Evert academy entourage she had with her alot of people are banking on her sucess as a future pro.

I agree 100%. Madison certainly is as good a bet as any to make it as a pro. She has to keep working on improving her motor, I have seen her lose energy later in matches a few times while less talented girls are still full of energy.

Miami Tiburon
12-29-2009, 08:17 AM
I agree 100%. Madison certainly is as good a bet as any to make it as a pro. She has to keep working on improving her motor, I have seen her lose energy later in matches a few times while less talented girls are still full of energy.

She is also a tall kid who is not done growing

Tom C
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Both Brooke Austin and Gaby Andrews are in the semi's of the AEGON Junior International Teen Tennis Tournament in Bolton, England.

gully
01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Both Brooke Austin and Gaby Andrews are in the semi's of the AEGON Junior International Teen Tennis Tournament in Bolton, England.

Wow! Congrats, Brooke! (Don't know Gaby, but congrats to her, too.) can anyone comment on how high-level an event this is? Seems like an impressive result.

Tom C
01-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Well both girls won and will play each other in the final.

Tom C
01-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Andrews won in 3.

Tom C
01-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Austin & Andrews won their 1st round matches @ Les Petits As.

Tom C
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Andrews and Makarova are in the QF. Andrews is having a good couple of weeks. Austin lost in the 2nd round after making the finals of Teen Tennis last week.

Tom C
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Andrews and Makarova lost in the quarters. Has anyone seen Andrews play?