PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Kozlov starts his quest to beat Nadal's records

Pages : 1 [2]

TnsMan2
12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I must say someone like yourself is very intriguing and highly volatile thats for sure. I'm sure TCF is just being nice and does not want to rain on your personal parade. As I have said before, read your own post and than tell yourself why you think you could succeed. TCF, unless he has 0 knowledge about Tennis will agree that there are many players with great strokes just go to the big Tournys. Not everyone has the mental make up. And I am quite sure your son based on your past will not amount to anything other than a college player which will be a bonus at this point. Oh, and thats a compliment. No offense, just telling it like it is. Andre Agassi made it and your son aint Andre, sorry. You act like his dad though, but than again his dad was an olympian and you my friend have really no athletic background which makes you a legend in your own mind...

Good luck Mr. Baughman, Good Luck.......

Speaking of Mike hes a great guy a little nuts but thats ok , Deit has a great time when hes at his house all of Andres trophys are there right when you walk in the front door the trophys greet you, last time we were there Deit and Mike hung out in the garage thats where Mike has all these different rackets he works on and trys to modify.

None the less i still have you in the palm of my hand arguing.

Miami Tiburon
12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Kozlov lost in final today , Hong won 6-4 6-2
their was a nice turn out to see the match

TennisCoachFLA
12-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Kozlov lost in final today , Hong won 6-4 6-2
their was a nice turn out to see the match

A coach I know who attended says either of the girls 12s finalists, along with Shishkina, would destroy either of the boys 12s finalists if they played. I said, "Well girls at that age mature faster".

He said, "No, I mean they will beat them now, in 3 years, and probably even as adults!".

Miami Tiburon
12-23-2009, 07:03 PM
A coach I know who attended says either of the girls 12s finalists, along with Shishkina, would destroy either of the boys 12s finalists if they played. I said, "Well girls at that age mature faster".

He said, "No, I mean they will beat them now, in 3 years, and probably even as adults!".

The only age group I did not see was the girls 12's. I did hear that the girls in the final were very tall for their age and were crushing the ball.In three years who knows what can happen.

CharlieB
12-26-2009, 03:10 AM
I saw the 12's and 14's semi's and finals... The difference between the 12's and the 14's is like a world apart. The girls 14's were hitting as hard as any adult, particularly the Byelorussian (Lebesheva) who lost in 3 very close sets against Yuki Chiang. The same story applies to the boys 12's category and the 14's. The game style of the 12's will not go far against some of the better 14's. The 14's game is much more aggressive than the 12's. When I have time I will post some video so you can be the judge...

Cheers,

Charlie

Tom C
12-26-2009, 06:01 AM
I saw the 12's and 14's semi's and finals... The difference between the 12's and the 14's is like a world apart. The girls 14's were hitting as hard as any adult, particularly the Byelorussian (Lebesheva) who lost in 3 very close sets against Yuki Chiang. The same story applies to the boys 12's category and the 14's. The game style of the 12's will not go far against some of the better 14's. The 14's game is much more aggressive than the 12's. When I have time I will post some video so you can be the judge...

Cheers,

Charlie

Hey Charlie,
A friend, who I respect, believes Abanda has what it takes to be a professional... your thoughts. Thanks and be well.

CharlieB
12-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Girls mature much faster than boys... but the difference between a 12 yo and a 18 yo is just too much. In some of the big academies coaches can tell if a 8-10 year old girl has what it takes to become a tour player. This sounds crazy but its the way it goes. With boys this is not he norm. Some kids rule the younger categories but fail to do the same as they face stronger and bigger players in other categories.

I believe that if she continues to work hard, she has a good chance to becoming a pro.

Cheers,

Charlie

TennisCoachFLA
12-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Girls mature much faster than boys... but the difference between a 12 yo and a 18 yo is just too much. In some of the big academies coaches can tell if a 8-10 year old girl has what it takes to become a tour player. This sounds crazy but its the way it goes. With boys this is not he norm. Some kids rule the younger categories but fail to do the same as they face stronger and bigger players in other categories.

I believe that if she continues to work hard, she has a good chance to becoming a pro.

Cheers,

Charlie

I read a book on athletic development and the difference is startling between boys and girls. (Tudor Bompa, Athletic Development)

By age 9-10 the girls have 75% of their full speed and power. By age 13 the girls almost flat line. That is a 13 year old girl and a 19 year old and a 25 year old women have about the same speed and strength.

The speed/power line for the girls goes slowly up and literally flattens out at age 13, barely budging from then on and actually coming down a little in the mid 20's.

The boys are totally different, their power and speed graphs go up and up and up, not peaking until about 24, then staying pretty flat for another 6-7 years.

So guessing if a girl will be a pro is a world easier than with a boy. At least by 13 you know where her speed and power will be. And even then its still a crap shoot of guessing which girls will have the other factors that are needed.

But anyone who claims to have a clue which boys will make it is a liar.

TnsMan2
12-26-2009, 08:28 AM
I read a book on athletic development and the difference is startling between boys and girls. (Tudor Bompa, Athletic Development)

By age 9-10 the girls have 75% of their full speed and power. By age 13 the girls almost flat line. That is a 13 year old girl and a 19 year old and a 25 year old women have about the same speed and strength.

The speed/power line for the girls goes slowly up and literally flattens out at age 13, barely budging from then on and actually coming down a little in the mid 20's.

The boys are totally different, their power and speed graphs go up and up and up, not peaking until about 24, then staying pretty flat for another 6-7 years.

So guessing if a girl will be a pro is a world easier than with a boy. At least by 13 you know where her speed and power will be. And even then its still a crap shoot of guessing which girls will have the other factors that are needed.

But anyone who claims to have a clue which boys will make it is a liar.

anyone who would claim to know what girl or boy is going pro would be crazy ,to predict that would be to predict future events and that takes "Faith" Right?

onehandbh
12-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I read a book on athletic development ...

... At least by 13 you know where her speed and power will be. And even then its still a crap shoot of guessing which girls will have the other factors that are needed.

This doesn't take training into account, though. I remember several
girls in HS who improved their speed and strength through training
while in HS. You probably can't train super hard from age 5 - 13, but
13 - 18 you can train harder and improve. I remember one girl
who wasn't particularly big was curling 85 lbs barbells by the time she
was 17. Pretty impressive.

TennisCoachFLA
12-26-2009, 10:33 AM
This doesn't take training into account, though. I remember several
girls in HS who improved their speed and strength through training
while in HS. You probably can't train super hard from age 5 - 13, but
13 - 18 you can train harder and improve. I remember one girl
who wasn't particularly big was curling 85 lbs barbells by the time she
was 17. Pretty impressive.

Not true overall, this book addressed all that with many, many studies. Girls flat line at about age 13, some maybe a year or two later. Their speed and power does not improve much.....even with training. Training maintains their speed and power, there is little improvement from 13.

The phenomenon you are talking about is an UNTRAINED girl. The book also addresses that. If a girl does no or little training than yes, she will improve from 13-18.....but not surpass where she would have been had she trained at a younger age.

But we are talking about junior tennis girls who have been training from age 7-8. There is little room for speed and power improvement past age 13. In fact, speed starts decreasing slightly, even with training, at age 19.

A girl who starts training at a young age will see her big improvement from ages 9-12, then start flat lining. She will maintain the peak levels until age 19, then start a very gradual decline from then on. But the decline is slow so a 27-28 year old women is not a lot slower than she was at 13-14. Of course after age 27 or so the decline is somewhat faster.

fruitytennis1
12-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Not true overall, this book addressed all that with many, many studies. Girls flat line at about age 13, some maybe a year or two later. Their speed and power does not improve much.....even with training. Training maintains their speed and power, there is little improvement from 13.

The phenomenon you are talking about is an UNTRAINED girl. The book also addresses that. If a girl does no or little training than yes, she will improve from 13-18.....but not surpass where she would have been had she trained at a younger age.

But we are talking about junior tennis girls who have been training from age 7-8. There is little room for speed and power improvement past age 13. In fact, speed starts decreasing slightly, even with training, at age 19.

A girl who starts training at a young age will see her big improvement from ages 9-12, then start flat lining. She will maintain the peak levels until age 19, then start a very gradual decline from then on. But the decline is slow so a 27-28 year old women is not a lot slower than she was at 13-14. Of course after age 27 or so the decline is somewhat faster.

I love being a guy. I cant see me slowing down anytime soon.

TennisCoachFLA
12-26-2009, 05:16 PM
anyone who would claim to know what girl or boy is going pro would be crazy ,to predict that would be to predict future events and that takes "Faith" Right?

Ha, nice try Brad! Perhaps "faith" in one's child can exist without "faith" in a magical life force. But lets use some actual facts.

Countries with very high "belief in a god" (85-95% of population) ....US, Turkey, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, Portugal, Poland.

Countries with low "belief in a god"....(19-59% of population)......Czech Republic, Sweden, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Serbia, Switzerland.

Oh no.....those blasted non religious folks are dominating the top of professional tennis! Have they no "faith".!!

TnsMan2
12-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Ha, nice try Brad! Perhaps "faith" in one's child can exist without "faith" in a magical life force. But lets use some actual facts.

Countries with very high "belief in a god" (85-95% of population) ....US, Turkey, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, Portugal, Poland.

Countries with low "belief in a god"....(19-59% of population)......Czech Republic, Sweden, France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Serbia, Switzerland.

Oh no.....those blasted non religious folks are dominating the top of professional tennis! Have they no "faith".!!

you missed my point to say Deiton will be top ten in the world even with all his bonuses will be and statement of faith , because this has not happened, it is hoping for this to happen thats faith,

to say this Russian girl is going to make it , "it will happen" once again faith , it has not happened and believing that will happen before Deiton will make it is faith.

TennisCoachFLA
12-26-2009, 07:39 PM
you missed my point to say Deiton will be top ten in the world even with all his bonuses will be and statement of faith , because this has not happened, it is hoping for this to happen thats faith,

to say this Russian girl is going to make it , "it will happen" once again faith , it has not happened and believing that will happen before Deiton will make it is faith.

I always thought faith was believing something without question and not requiring any rational facts to back it up.

In regards to your son, you obviously see him hit vs other players with success. So you are basing your belief that he will be a pro player on the talent you see.

Had you taken him out to hit a tennis ball and after 3 months he proved to be totally uncoordinated......would you still have faith that he would be a pro? If he had a record of 7-20 and despite all your hard work just could not win vs other decent players, would you still have faith?

I think you are basing your belief on the facts as you see them and not faith.

Same with the Russian girl. I know other girls at IMG whose parents have tons of money. They are the same age as Shishkina, practice just as much....and they stink on ice. I have no belief that they will be a pro player.

So I am basing my belief in Shishkina on the evidence that I have from seeing her perform, not on faith.

Now some parents have a baby and say their baby will be the world's best tennis player. I suppose you could call that faith because they have no idea if the baby will be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Their statement is not based on anything real or rational. But your boy and Shishkina have actually shown they can hit the ball at a certain level.

notennis
12-27-2009, 03:37 AM
I always thought faith was believing something without question and not requiring any rational facts to back it up.

In regards to your son, you obviously see him hit vs other players with success. So you are basing your belief that he will be a pro player on the talent you see.

Had you taken him out to hit a tennis ball and after 3 months he proved to be totally uncoordinated......would you still have faith that he would be a pro? If he had a record of 7-20 and despite all your hard work just could not win vs other decent players, would you still have faith?

Same with the Russian girl. I know other girls at IMG whose parents have tons of money. They are the same age as Shishkina, practice just as much....and they stink on ice. I have no belief that they will be a pro player.

So I am basing my belief in Shishkina on the evidence that I have from seeing her perform, not on faith.

Now some parents have a baby and say their baby will be the world's best tennis player. I suppose you could call that faith because they have no idea if the baby will be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Their statement is not based on anything real or rational. But your boy and Shishkina have actually shown they can hit the ball at a certain level.

Right, the only difference between Shiskina and Mr Baughmans son is that Shishkina would not blow it "mentally" against a kid 2 years younger at a major junior tournament like the Eddie Herr. TCF, I think your being nice once again to Mr Baughman and not trying to hurt his feelings. Unquestionably Shishkina has plenty of proof to go by to becoming a Pro. She trains at a world renowned Academy and has plenty of backing along with a big game at a young age. Heck, as I have said before, Kozlov stands a better chance the Mr Baughmans kid along with many others. Footwork and mental are critical and and unfortunately Mr Baughmans kid has neither. His kid has nice strokes though and pretty backhand with good size, but thats it.....
Shishkina is the real deal..........

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Right, the only difference between Shiskina and Mr Baughmans son is that Shishkina would not blow it "mentally" against a kid 2 years younger at a major junior tournament like the Eddie Herr. TCF, I think your being nice once again to Mr Baughman and not trying to hurt his feelings. Unquestionably Shishkina has plenty of proof to go by to becoming a Pro. She trains at a world renowned Academy and has plenty of backing along with a big game at a young age. Heck, as I have said before, Kozlov stands a better chance the Mr Baughmans kid along with many others. Footwork and mental are critical and and unfortunately Mr Baughmans kid has neither. His kid has nice strokes though and pretty backhand with good size, but thats it.....
Shishkina is the real deal..........

Kozlof still standing at 5'4 has a way better chance then the other kid who is now standing 6'1 and may hit 6'4 at what?, my guess is someone will be struggling with the others serve next time they meet?

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 08:12 AM

i think you could say faith is just hoping for "air" to do something but i think faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

anyways did you ever get in touch with the coach for UCI ?

notennis
12-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Kozlof still standing at 5'4 has a way better chance then the other kid who is now standing 6'1 and may hit 6'4 at what?, my guess is someone will be struggling with the others serve next time they meet?

All of that does'nt matter if your boy has your mentality which for you apparently is difficult to hide. This thread was based anyway on Shishkina and the difference being able to predict her outcome compared to your son.
No comparison........Like I said before, TCF was just trying to be nice instead of giving you a true reality check.

Now go have your son do his 50 head stand push ups like you say he can do and hit his 115 mph serve, yah right.......

Good luck Mr Baughman, Good luck!

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 08:54 AM
All of that does'nt matter if your boy has your mentality which for you apparently is difficult to hide. This thread was based anyway on Shishkina and the difference being able to predict her outcome compared to your son.
No comparison........Like I said before, TCF was just trying to be nice instead of giving you a true reality check.

Now go have your son do his 50 head stand push ups like you say he can do and hit his 115 mph serve, yah right.......

Standing at 5'2 yourself Jesse is something that will cause you to always be and angry elf but why is your bitterness so loud towards me calm down little guy at least your not being called a dwarf.

onehandbh
12-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Not disputing the studies, but how about the world records for things
like 100m, etc. I don't see any 13-14 year olds in the top echelon of
sprints or weight lifters. Same thing for mile times. This definitely
improves. Or even the top sprinters, 400m, milers, etc. powerlifters.
I don't see any 13/14 year olds.

Miami Tiburon
12-27-2009, 12:01 PM

I agree,My daughters Tennis instructor who has like 40 years of teaching in the Miami area who has worked with beginners to Pros has always told me 14 thru 16 is the most crucial time in development for a junior player.

notennis
12-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Great example. TCF must be referring to the guiness book of world records because his quote is miles off base. I did'nt even bother to dispute his senseless example because I'm sure he would have some lame excuse or reason why he would think such a thing..........

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Im having fun with you ,

a couple of questions ,have you seen the radar gun on Deitons serve?

and although he played Eddie Hurr with 2 broken toes and made it to the quarters unseeded ,did you ever see him play outside the videos posted ,how is it do you make your evaluation to have a solid critique of him?

TennisCoachFLA
12-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Also addressed in detail in the book. The graph line for girls shows it going up until age 13-14....then ALMOST a flat line until age 19....ALMOST. There is a tiny rise from 13-19.

In events like you are talking about hundreths of a second make the difference. So the extra years of training plus the very small increases in power and speed mean a world record holder would be about 19 or so. Not many girls start training to be a sprinter at age 5,6,7 like they do in tennis.

But our discussion is about predicting girls at 13-14 who have the tools to be pros in tennis. That discussion is 100% different than talking about the 1 women in a billion who is an elite world record sprinter....able to run a second faster than she could at 15. Totally different discussions.

By the way, the top school girls at the Penn Relays have amazing times at 13-15 years old....very close to the times of the world record 19-22 year olds. But split seconds is all the difference in the world in elite sprinting, it is not the world in women's tennis.

But again, you are talking about split seconds so those 13-14 year olds grow their techniques and shave tiny bits of time off from 13-20.

Powerlifiting?? How many girls do you think start that training at 5-7 like tennis?? Of course none. So they start that training at 16-17. So of course there would be no 14 year old world record power lifting girls. Not the same as our discussion about being able to see about what a girl will have power and speed wise for tennis.

The fact is that improvements from 14-20 for female tennis players who start training at age 6-7 DO NOT come from a great increase in speed and power, it comes from match experience.

TennisCoachFLA
12-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Great example. TCF must be referring to the guiness book of world records because his quote is miles off base. I did'nt even bother to dispute his senseless example because I'm sure he would have some lame excuse or reason why he would think such a thing..........

I have an idea....you buy the book, read it....then come back and have a rational discussion. Or you could simply keep posting about something you have no idea about. Your choice.

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I would be curious to test it myself , but the females body is pretty accurate to what you are saying. Run the 100 in 11.3 seconds at 22 yr old verses a top trained 14 yr old running it in 12.2 sounds about right .

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I have an idea....you buy the book, read it....then come back and have a rational discussion. Or you could simply keep posting about something you have no idea about. Your choice.

If you Dartfish Deits forehand to Feds they would look quite close i think the difference would be man-muscle , what are you saying would be when that would be the say and could you modify it with the right work??

TennisCoachFLA
12-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree,My daughters Tennis instructor who has like 40 years of teaching in the Miami area who has worked with beginners to Pros has always told me 14 thru 16 is the most crucial time in development for a junior player.

Another totally different discussion. Sure those are important years....for strategy, for experience, for tactics.

But we are talking about just SPEED and POWER. Those girls will not be noticeably faster or stronger at 16 than they were at 13-14. (remember we are talking about girls who start training at young ages, not girls who start power training at age 15)

Somehow people are missing the point. The point was that you can see what raw materials as far as speed and power you have by age 13-14 with girls, not so with boys.

TennisCoachFLA
12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I would be curious to test it myself , but the females body is pretty accurate to what you are saying. Run the 100 in 11.3 seconds at 22 yr old verses a top trained 14 yr old running it in 12.2 sounds about right .

Exactly.

Why are these posters arguing with measured scientific studies? Makes no sense.

A female has her peak power and speed at about age 13-14, maybe some very small increases until age 19, then starts slowly declining.

Boys don't follow this curve at all.

Not sure why anyone would argue this point, it has been documented without any doubt at all. Geez google testosterone levels and learn for yourself.

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Exactly.

Why are these posters arguing with measured scientific studies? Makes no sense.

A female has her peak power and speed at about age 13-14, maybe some very small increases until age 19, then starts slowly declining.

Boys don't follow this curve at all.

Not sure why anyone would argue this point, it has been documented without any doubt at all. Geez google testosterone levels and learn for yourself.

BTW did you ever get a hold of the UCI coach?

tenniscp
12-27-2009, 04:37 PM

I think you are being generous there with 5'4 for Kozlov. He is no taller than
5'1. But then again, height is not the only criteria for success.

tenniscp
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Have you ever seen any of the kids whose names you mention on these boards actually play?

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM

He was pretty small but was very quick, i was going off of the last time my son played him he towered over him and D was about 5'7 last year ,since then he has grown to 6'1 so i figure he had to put on a couple of inches.

size is only a bonus ,thats why i have to stay on the boy in conversation explaining how lazy you can become with out knowing it , Right before he got sick i noticed his first step after a serve was slowing down because he was getting more pop on the serve and expecting them not to come back.

TnsMan2
12-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Have you ever seen any of the kids whose names you mention on these boards actually play?

NO, he doesn't have to he can watch a video and base everything off that or look at a score and that will tell him everything, sometimes he might hear it from someone else and base it on that,

as for me i like to watch someone for myself to base my decision on and educated observation i had a friend who i highly respect point me to a girl who played and he had a thought and after i watched i was in a disagreement.

Miami Tiburon
12-27-2009, 05:56 PM

I saw Kozlov play this past week he looks 5'0 if that.

TennisCoachFLA
12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I saw Kozlov play this past week he looks 5'0 if that.

I have to agree, I saw Stefan 2 years ago and then last fall. He just is not growing much.

Lets hope for a huge growth spurt because the kid does have the drive and skills.

tenniscp
12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I have to agree, I saw Stefan 2 years ago and then last fall. He just is not growing much.

Lets hope for a huge growth spurt because the kid does have the drive and skills.

Then again, he is eleven, will be twelve in Feb, so maybe he will get his growth spurt. Have met his mom once, she is around 5'2 or 5'3 and his dad is around 5'8, maybe 5'9. These numbers do not leave much in the department of major height gain, however, Federer's dad is 5'7 and his mom is only 5'4, and that did not turn out to be a problem for a Fed, who is 6'1.

onehandbh
12-27-2009, 09:44 PM
If he's 11, he could still grow. I was definitely under 5'0" when I was 11.
Heck, I had barely hit 5'3" my freshmen year in HS. Was about 120lbs.
Then grew about 6 inches over the summer and then slowed down and grew
to 6'0". I was always pretty fast but just short. Definitely was a disadvantage
in basketball.

On the other hand, I remember some kids that hit close to their final, full
height by the time they were 13 or so and were already benching 275-300 lbs.
(not sure if they were taking any "supplements" or not. Maybe some but not
all).

notennis
12-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Last time I checked providing the name and author of the book I was citing would be considered backing a statement up. Athletic Development Total Training for Young Champions by Tudor Bompa.

But you know that, your game is to try and rile people up. Whatever.

You even quoted yourself as saying there is records by older athletes and few 13 year old kids. I don't know where your coming from. Even if it is only a few it still shows growth and contradicts what you're saying as it relates to growth stops at 13, yah right. Just because you read about something does not necessarily validate everything about this subject, know it all......Go agree with Mr Baughman, you guys are alot a like hopefully you don't have his track record or it could ruin your legend status on Tennis Warehouse......

TennisCoachFLA
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
You even quoted yourself as saying there is records by older athletes and few 13 year old kids. I don't know where your coming from. Even if it is only a few it still shows growth and contradicts what you're saying as it relates to growth stops at 13, yah right. Just because you read about something does not necessarily validate everything about this subject, know it all......Go agree with Mr Baughman, you guys are alot a like hopefully you don't have his track record or it could ruin your legend status on Tennis Warehouse......

notennis, I will gamble that you really want to have an honest discussion about this. So here goes.

This topic started as trying to guess if Shishkina had pro prospects, compared to for example a boy her age.

All I said was that research shows a girl by about age 13 is just about at her peak in power and speed. Boys still have worlds and worlds to change in regards to speed and power after that age. Thus you have a better chance of predicting if she has pro potential than a boy.

Thats all that was said. No one said all growth stops at 13, no one said no girls improve at all after 13. I also said the line creeps up a little from age 13-19 so there is some small improvements in speed and power. But very tiny compared to boys.

Simply that at 13 you can see about where a girl will peak in terms of speed and power and with a boy you have no clue.

I am not sure how that would even be a source for disagreement. I did think some posters, like I was, might be surprised how drastic girls flat line at age 13-14. The graphs were pretty startling for me, the girls improved speed and power fast from ages 9-13ish, then pretty much flat lined.

Just thought it was interesting information, thats all.

notennis
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
notennis, I will gamble that you really want to have an honest discussion about this. So here goes.

This topic started as trying to guess if Shishkina had pro prospects, compared to for example a boy her age.

All I said was that research shows a girl by about age 13 is just about at her peak in power and speed. Boys still have worlds and worlds to change in regards to speed and power after that age. Thus you have a better chance of predicting if she has pro potential than a boy.

Thats all that was said. No one said all growth stops at 13, no one said no girls improves at all after 13. I also said the line creeps up a little from age 13-19 so there is some small improvements in speed and power. But very tiny compared to boys.

Simply that at 13 you can see about where a girl will peak in terms of speed and power and with a boy you have no clue.

I am not sure how that would even be a source for disagreement. I did think some posters, like I was, might be surprised how drastic girls flat line at age 13-14. The graphs were pretty startling for me, the girls improved speed and power fast from ages 9-13ish, then pretty much flat lined.

That makes sense......Thanks

tenniscp
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Thats all that was said. No one said all growth stops at 13, no one said no girls improve at all after 13. I also said the line creeps up a little from age 13-19 so there is some small improvements in speed and power. But very tiny compared to boys.

How can one misunderstand what has been said here? It is crystal clear!

Tom C
01-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Cheers,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
How does Yuki Chiang's game translate at the next level? Anyone else have an opinion on Chiang and/or the other finalist, Brooke Austin? Thanks and be well. Btw, Chiang lost in the 1st round of the Winter Nationals (GU16)... A letdown of sorts?

TennisCoachFLA
01-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Charlie,
How does Yuki Chiang's game translate at the next level? Anyone else have an opinion on Chiang and/or the other finalist, Brooke Austin? Thanks and be well. Btw, Chiang lost in the 1st round of the Winter Nationals (GU16)... A letdown of sorts?

Tom, don't know Chiang's game much. But I have seen Brooke Austin play on 3 occasions and chatted a little.

I think Brooke is a wonderful junior player and a terrific girl. Plays lots and lots of tournies and knows how to get wins in the juniors.

Her power can be good when she goes for her shots but she tends to hold up a good amount of the time, her movement is okay but not great. Her backhand in tournaments becomes more of a bunt. She is a strong girl who matured earlier. I think that helps her results at this point.

My gut is that her ceiling will be decent college career but not a money making pro. I think her tons of tournies has limited her development to a great junior game without the higher ceiling. She would have benefited from playing soccer or basketball as much as tennis to improve her feet.

Here is a little video from Zoo tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihy4bcvEDbk

TnsMan2
01-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Charlie,

She's a aggressive/defensive know how to do both very well she is a player Ive worked with her on a few occasions, I think she has a lot of room for improvement and I believe she's one that will do it in her own timing , she's very coachable ears wide open, I was just with her tonight for a few minutes and she's always a delight, Deit will be hitting with her in the next few days Ill give you and update.

TnsMan2
01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Tom, don't know Chiang's game much. But I have seen Brooke Austin play on 3 occasions and chatted a little.

I think Brooke is a wonderful junior player and a terrific girl. Plays lots and lots of tournies and knows how to get wins in the juniors.

Her power can be good when she goes for her shots but she tends to hold up a good amount of the time, her movement is okay but not great. Her backhand in tournaments becomes more of a bunt. She is a strong girl who matured earlier. I think that helps her results at this point.

My gut is that her ceiling will be decent college career but not a money making pro. I think her tons of tournies has limited her development to a great junior game without the higher ceiling. She would have benefited from playing soccer or basketball as much as tennis to improve her feet.

Here is a little video from Zoo tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihy4bcvEDbk

TCF the boy hit with the BA girl a couple years ago at Carson and they made him use a one hand backhand and one serve and he came out 6 2 over her and she was a year older so i think your gut is right.

TnsMan2
01-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi Charlie,

Talking to Yuki last night she mentioned she flew to FL for a camp flew back to CA flew back to FL for Orange Bowl flew back to CA, drove to Arizona, I think losing in the 1st rd of 16's i think it was that she was tired, she said last night she was pretty tired from the traveling and wanted a few days off. She's hitting with Sloan Stevens/Caitlyn Christian/Alyssa Smith and her dad says she hangs pretty well with them.

Tom C
01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Kozlov is in the semi's @ AEGON Junior International Teen Tennis... He is the only American left as Furman. Paul and Uspensky lost in the 1st round and Rubin lost in the 3rd round.

Tom C
01-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Kozlov is in the final.

TnsMan2
01-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Kozlov is in the final.

Just like in the corporate world you can push your way to the top. Great Job what touny is he playing ? is it big?

Tom C
01-21-2010, 08:20 AM
The AEGON Junior International Teen Tennis in Bolton, England is a high quality tournament as is the following weeks Le Petit As in France.

10schick
01-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Just like in the corporate world you can push your way to the top. Great Job what touny is he playing ? is it big?

Sort of... see post #299.

Or:
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2010/01/austin-andrews-kozlov-reach-teen-tennis.html

spam
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Thats a great effort for an 11 year old.
Kozlov is very composed for his age ,plays the right shots and is smart and tough on court.Very similar to how Murray was ,doesnt look flashy but knows how to win .

Fred
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM

Brad, it's probably the third biggest 14-and-under tournament of the year behind Les Petits As (which is next week) and the Orange Bowl.

TennisCoachFLA
01-21-2010, 07:16 PM
I've been reading these threads and came to a conclusion that Mr. brad is a complete moron. One day when he realizes that his son will not make it big, he will stop posting idiotic posts with a bunch of LOL LOL all over the place.

Also, I find it pretty funny that TennisCoachFLA and Mr Brad hated each other's guts for a while until TCF one day got caught posting a wrong video of Brad's son. If you read the threads again, you will see TCF tries to sidestep and change the tone by asking about the boy's health as though he didn't know before the video was posted. Now they seem to be bed buddies.

There it is, I'm just a random viewer and felt like saying what i said. too funny.

Some truth to that. I did get nailed on that video thinking it was Brad's boy. But skipping around and not reading the entire thread I missed the parts about his son being ill. Once I reread those parts, that did change the entire conversation, the kid's health trumps all else.

Brad has plenty of other posters to get into it with on here even though I have bowed out of those battles.

In the end his son will have to prove himself on the court. Neither Brad's nor our opinions will matter in the long run. Tennis will decide who has the goods between the lines.

Tom C
01-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Kozlov won in 3.

TnsMan2
01-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Congrats to Kozlov not a bad job for a little guy who I like a lot