PDA

View Full Version : the eastern backhand serve.

wyutani
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
hi, ive been using most of my serves on the continental side. but one day i fooled around with hitting with the "eastern backhand" serve. seems like most of my balls hit its target. less to an almost nothing double faults.

so i was thinking, should i abandon my continental serve for a spiny eastern backhand serve?:oops:

BullDogTennis
10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
maybe some on second serves, its a good change. idk about ALWAYS doing it but its a good change of speed to throw some in there.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
hi, ive been using most of my serves on the continental side. but one day i fooled around with hitting with the "eastern backhand" serve. seems like most of my balls hit its target. less to an almost nothing double faults.

so i was thinking, should i abandon my continental serve for a spiny eastern backhand serve?:oops:

If you feel your combination of placement, spin, and speed is more satisfactory to you, then you can. But it's totally your call. I went from the eastern backhand to continental because I wanted more power.

SystemicAnomaly
10-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Don't have to abandon the conti service grip. Keep both in your arsenal. I don't use the Eastern BH grip all that often for the serve, but I do find that I can do certain things n the serve that are not easy to do with my usual grip. The opposite is also true -- some things are easier to do with the conti grip (like hitting flatter serves for one).

wyutani
10-14-2009, 03:03 AM
oh, seriously? giving up on the continental saves me up on the double faults.

mikro112
10-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Use the continental grip for all serves. You should learn how to hit spinny serves with it, and then you'll be perfectly fine.

This thread might help as well:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=292637

LeeD
10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I think it has a lot to do with WHAT you individually term "easternbackhand" or "continental.....
For sure, continental is the first grip you need to learn for all serves. THEN, after you can hit it both flat and spun, you can wander towards EasternBackhand, but usually not quite all the way there. Fully EBH might give you tons of spin, but usually very little pace (ball speed). So I like to call my second serve grip "conti with a EBH flavor".
Even topspin servers like Edberg used conti with EBH flavor, not a fully EBH'd grip on his second serves.

moroni
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
yup i used to use full ebh grip it gave me loads of spin when using slice it threw the opoonet outaa the coutr but it had verry little pace i suggest you do what LEED said its perfect advice

paulfreda
10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
You should keep both.
You get more natural spin [slice and kick/topspin] with the EBH and
you will get better flat serves with the Cont.
JMHO