PDA

View Full Version : Another typical Blake performance

Inner Game
10-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Its just too bad Blake can't get over the hump mentality. He certainly has the tools to play a power game when mixed with volleys that can make Nadal nervous....But he's just to weak mentality....its a pity..

Giggs The Red Devil
10-14-2009, 05:58 AM
You saw the ankle brace, Blake was injured. Healthy Blake would have blast Nadal out of court.

sureshs
10-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Healthy Nadal would have blasted anyone off the court

Cyan
10-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Blake's *** has gotten too big. That's why he can't beat Rafa anymore.

Cesc Fabregas
10-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Blake played well, Nadal is just better than him.

grafselesfan
10-14-2009, 06:17 AM

Agreed. Even though I am not a Blake fan I was actually extremely impressed with his performance today. He was more patient than usual and mixed it up really well, and his backhand was on fire. It was probably one of Blake's best matches ever, and it was good for Nadal to still beat him even in that form.

mandy01
10-14-2009, 06:17 AM
LOL..Had it been Roger.. "X,Y,Z opponent choked! what a mental midget!" :lol:

Cyan
10-14-2009, 06:24 AM
LOL..Had it been Roger.. "X,Y,Z opponent choked! what a mental midget!" :lol:

Had it been Roger vs a bad matchup for him like Simon and at a masters 1000 anything could have happened.

mandy01
10-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Had it been Roger vs a bad matchup for him like Simon and at a masters 1000 anything could have happened.Most Nadal fans would be saying Simon choked had Roger won a tight 3 setter :wink:

drakulie
10-14-2009, 06:56 AM
The reason Blake is underperforming is because his #1 fan is too busy on these boards trolling about Nadal and roids, and or arguing with Cescfabregas, rather than giving Blake much needed advice.

jamesblakefan#1
10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
The reason Blake is underperforming is because his #1 fan is too busy on these boards trolling about Nadal and roids, and or arguing with Cescfabregas, rather than giving Blake much needed advice.

Umm....does that make you the reason why Fed lost to JMDP as well? :confused:

---------------------

@ the OP...I only woke up to see the start of the match, and saw Blake getting blasted and thought Nadal was gonna crush him, so I went back to sleep. Understandable. But if it's true that he's trying to mix it up more, it could be good when he doesn't play a guy like Nadal, who always seems to come up w/ great passing shots.

mandy01
10-14-2009, 07:25 AM
^ coming to the net is actually one of the best tactics against Nadal.It might not bother him at first but do it persistently and the guy will come out of his comfort zone and start missing.
The key lies in the approach shot and how well you are able to cover the net.
You cannot engage Nadal from the baseline..points have to be kept short and coming to net is a great tactic imo if done with good confidence.

jamesblakefan#1
10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
^ coming to the net is actually one of the best tactics against Nadal.It might not bother him at first but do it persistently and the guy will come out of his comfort zone and start missing.
You cannot engage Nadal from the baseline..points have to be kept short and coming to net is a great tactic imo if done with good confidence.

This is true...I actually do recall Nadal missing quite a few relatively easy passing shots. I think coming in on the deep ball to the Nadal BH is a good tactic more players should use.

drakulie
10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Umm....does that make you the reason why Fed lost to JMDP as well? :confused:

see what I mean?? Always trolling about something else, rather than giving Blake advice.

Cesc Fabregas
10-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Im sorry that you don't watch tennis. :( Nadal loves a target and came up with some unreal backhand passes today.

mandy01
10-14-2009, 07:29 AM
This is true...I actually do recall Nadal missing quite a few relatively easy passing shots. I think coming in on the deep ball to the Nadal BH is a good tactic more players should use.That and going for his BH dtl..I dont know how many people noticed but Nadal himself struggles a little bit with high topspinning shots to his BH.:lol:

mandy01
10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Im sorry that you don't watch tennis. :( Nadal loves a target and came up with some unreal backhand passes today.Today.He isnt going to conjure those unreal bh passes of his all the time.And I didnt think Blake's approach was great.sorry.But if you didnt notice it was this mixing up of play that actually helped Blake to come as close as he did.

Cesc Fabregas
10-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Today.He isnt going to conjure those unreal bh passes of his all the time.

Nadal is in top 3 best passing shots in history with Borg and Agassi.

jamesblakefan#1
10-14-2009, 07:34 AM

Correct, you can see how great his passing shots are in this match...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xzq7oOdW8

mandy01
10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
well..he misses quite a few when coming up against someone who does well at the net.And by all the time I meant someone who keeps coming to the net with decent approach shots.

Cesc Fabregas
10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
well..he misses quite a few when coming up against someone who does well at the net.

Like who? Nadal has amazing passing shots, stop talking trash to prove your point.

drakulie
10-14-2009, 07:38 AM

LOL.

As if he plays enough against people who come to the net.

mandy01
10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Like who? Nadal has amazing passing shots, stop talking trash to prove your point.
Case in point-
Federer at Madrid.
Federer at TMC.Some insane volleys at the 2007 one.
Tsonga at AO.
Hell,Blake inspite of his approach shots not being all that great at all.
First set of FO 2006.
Rome final of 2006.

Fedace
10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Its just too bad Blake can't get over the hump mentality. He certainly has the tools to play a power game when mixed with volleys that can make Nadal nervous....But he's just to weak mentality....its a pity..

Don't say that. he's got a new coach now. You will soon see a NEW blake soon. New Australian OPEN champion. and Hall of famer......:)

edmondsm
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey Blake made him work. This is the Blake who has fallen out of the top 20, not the one who was in the top 4. To have the year Blake has had but still put up a battle like that, it could have been a lot worse.

Federer_pilon
10-14-2009, 08:06 AM
LOL.

As if he plays enough against people who come to the net.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

GRANITECHIEF
10-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Darn now my recording of the match is worthless.

All-rounder
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Healthy Nadal would have blasted anyone off the court
Nadal is healthy you FAIL

Adi-das
10-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Nadal is healthy you FAIL

Are you mad? by this statement i will presume you are.

drakulie
10-14-2009, 10:07 AM

You seem very annoyed when you post. Are you mad at everyone?

Adi-das
10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
You seem very annoyed when you post. Are you mad at everyone?

Far from it. i don't like when individuals speak rubbish.

drakulie
10-14-2009, 10:12 AM
^^You must not like yourself very much.

Adi-das
10-14-2009, 10:24 AM
^^You must not like yourself very much.

Cheap shot. Very predictable i must say.

drakulie
10-14-2009, 10:28 AM
^^^See what I mean??? Why are so angry?

Adi-das
10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
^^^See what I mean??? Why are so angry?

Ever heard the phrase "An action causes a reaction"? I think i made very good use of that.

All-rounder
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Has he stated that he has a serious injury??

Serendipitous
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
delete.....

Ledigs
10-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I can't stand blakes discouraged pout after every weak point

Conquistador
10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I really thought Blake played well. He obviously was hitting his forehands with pace and authority. Blake also had a good deal of variety in his game. He mixed it up and it worked sometimes. Blake tried to cut sharper angles on his backhand which costed him errors. Blake played well.

http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/images/athlete/image/1319/full/0-james-blake-mug-shot.jpg

glumpster
10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't normally post much in these forums but thought the performance turned in by Blake against Nadal was significant. So many times Blake plays as if he turns off his brain on the court. Which is amazing with his academic background he has. But tonight he hit behind Nadal, came to the net, moved around his backhand and though he lost it has to build confidence in the new coach and player.

Baikalic
10-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Correct, you can see how great his passing shots are in this match...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xzq7oOdW8

that match had most impressive collection of drop volleys I have ever seen.

8pNADAL
10-15-2009, 12:47 AM
this is the best nadal has ever played against blake (blake also played extremely well btw), and for the first time nadal has a winning head-to-head over him, it took 4 straight wins (all on hardcourt)

grafselesfan
10-15-2009, 12:49 AM
this is the best nadal has ever played against blake, and for the first time nadal has a winning head-to-head over him, it took 4 straight wins (all on hardcourt)

Nadal will now forever hold a winning head to head with Blake. That is pretty much a gaurantee. This despite that they didnt even play once on grass or clay, surfaces Blake would get destroyed by Nadal gauranteed.

DreamKiller
10-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Nadal will now forever hold a winning head to head with Blake. That is pretty much a gaurantee. This despite that they didnt even play once on grass or clay, surfaces Blake would get destroyed by Nadal gauranteed.

I think it has more to do with blake, he used to own Nadal, oh my how the tables have turned.

If i'm not mistaken, JB got to #4 in the world in 2006. HOW, were the rankings system screwed up as the WTA, yeah he might have won a few titles but he didn't even make a slam semifinal, It's insane.

rant over, but james blake was never a great player so he has done well to actually trouble nadal.

8pNADAL
10-15-2009, 01:05 AM
its just a matchup thing, blake and tsonga were the worst matchups for nadal, but nadal overcame tsonga and beat him twice last year (on hardcourt), and he's done the same to blake. monfils somewhat too, and nadal beat monfils at the us open in convincing fashion. del potro and cilic are the new challenges, but nadal always finds a solution.

DreamKiller
10-15-2009, 02:27 AM
its just a matchup thing, blake and tsonga were the worst matchups for nadal, but nadal overcame tsonga and beat him twice last year (on hardcourt), and he's done the same to blake. monfils somewhat too, and nadal beat monfils at the us open in convincing fashion. del potro and cilic are the new challenges, but nadal always finds a solution.

I think blake got worse and tsonga just had one match that will never be seen from him again.

sureshs
10-15-2009, 04:24 AM
I watched the rerun, and there was one sick passing shot from Nadal which sticks in my mind. It was almost a flick, but it had so much spin that it appeared to be moving towards Blake, and then veered in the air towards his BH, and then exit the court close to the sideline. Sort of a topspin/sidespin passing shot under pressure.

coloskier
10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Guys, remember that this match was played on one of the slowest hard courts on the tour. Probably as slow as Indian Wells and Miami. The only difference about this court is that the balls do not bounce as high as Miami. Now I see why Fed stayed out of this tournament and DP left early. It is like playing on clay for them.