PDA

View Full Version : Rules/Code Question?

walkman
10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
1) Code 41 specifies that a player must remove a ball from their court if their opponent asks.

- What about balls which are behind the court or off to the side? It could be a concern for safety, but sometimes it seems more like gamesmanship to try to get a double fault.

2) 3rd Ball -- Is a player required to provide the 3rd ball to the server's team before the point if requested?

woodrow1029
10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
1) Code 41 specifies that a player must remove a ball from their court if their opponent asks.

- What about balls which are behind the court or off to the side? It could be a concern for safety, but sometimes it seems more like gamesmanship to try to get a double fault.

2) 3rd Ball -- Is a player required to provide the 3rd ball to the server's team before the point if requested?
1. If the ball is in the court and your opponent asks you to move it, you need to move it. If it's at the side or back fence, or way out of the way of the court and they ask, you're not required to. Especially if you are the server. The receiver can't ask you to move a ball that is already at the fence just to make you delay your serve.

2. You are not required to give the third ball, but it's a courtesy if they ask and the ball is close to you. If there is an official, and the player is going way over the time limit by asking for the third ball, then the official may tell him to speed up and play with the 2 until the next point.

walkman
10-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks Woodrow. In the meantime I found more clarification at USTA.com.

1) USTA Comment 25.2: Must a request to remove a ball that is

lying in the opponentís court be honored? Yes, but not while the ball

is in play. Additionally, a request to remove a ball that is outside the

Court but reasonably close to the lines also must be honored.

--> the question is who gets to decide what is "reasonable". I think if it doesn't bother the person with the ball, it shouldn't bother the other side.

2) Code 23. Serverís request for third ball. When a server requests three balls, the receiver shall comply when the third ball is readily available. Distant balls shall be retrieved at the end of a game.

--> This came up for me recently when an opponents always wanted to remove balls from play which he considered "unlucky".

Cindysphinx
10-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks Woodrow. In the meantime I found more clarification at USTA.com.

--> the question is who gets to decide what is "reasonable". I think if it doesn't bother the person with the ball, it shouldn't bother the other side.

It does distract me when another ball is lying on the opponent's side of the net, depending on where it is, so I do ask that balls be cleared sometimes.

walkman
10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
If my opponent doesn't know it is there I point it out for their safety. If they choose not to remove it it doesn't bother me -- I just try to hit my shot so the ball on the ground will get in their way.

Is that so wrong? :evil:

moroni
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
I do not really ask my opponents to remove the ball from their side of the court because it usually doesnt bother me..and i provide a third/forth ball when it is relatively close to me ..no harm done i just like to get the point started dont care about these little things