PDA

View Full Version : Why all the complaints about the tour schedule?

kanamit
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
What's up with the whining by Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Roddick about the tour schedule? If these players played only what they were required to play, instead of playing DC and small non-mandatories, they would have had an entire month off between the US Open and Shanghai. What would they rather have? Three months off between tournaments? And why is it that so many of the whiners continue to play non-mandatory events? Why ask the tour to reduce the number of mandatories if you are already voluntarily opting to play above and beyond the mandatory number of tournaments? It's like these guys are whining just for the sake of whining.

Shockingly enough, it's getting to the point where I'd rather watch the WTA. They may choke away every match and not be able t hold serve, but at least they don't whine so much.

pmerk34
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
What's up with the whining by Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Roddick about the tour schedule? If these players played only what they were required to play, instead of playing DC and small non-mandatories, they would have had an entire month off between the US Open and Shanghai. What would they rather have? Three months off between tournaments? And why is it that so many of the whiners continue to play non-mandatory events? Why ask the tour to reduce the number of mandatories if you are already voluntarily opting to play above and beyond the mandatory number of tournaments? It's like these guys are whining just for the sake of whining.

Shockingly enough, it's getting to the point where I'd rather watch the WTA. They may choke away every match and not be able t hold serve, but at least they don't whine so much.

And you play on the tour right?

kanamit
10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
And you play on the tour right?

I am not entitled to ask questions if I don't play on the tour? How broad-minded. I think the reason there are all these complaints among the top guys is that their rankings are already secure around this time of the year, so they don't gain much by playing these tournaments. I am curious: How many players out of the top 10 have been complaining about the length of the season?

Adi-das
10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I am not entitled to ask questions if I don't play on the tour? How broad-minded.

Your ignorance illustrates how small-minded you are.

kanamit
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Your ignorance illustrates how small-minded you are.

Please enlighten me then, wise one. For that is why I phrased most of my remarks in the form of questions.

drakulie
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
"All" the complaints you keep hearing about are coming from the nadal fans on this board.

As for ATP players, Joker, nadal, robredo, roddick and a few others out of over one thousand have complained.

kOaMaster
10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
federer did too. not only once.

JennyS
10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Navratilova and Agassi have complained about it. Navratilova once said they should blow up the entire tennis calendar.

bluetrain4
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
It's not that all of them want to not play. I think it's that the top players want the option of being able to take 2 or 2.5 months off to rest and/or nurse injuries. I don't think that's unreasonable.

As for why they continue to play smaller tournaments - appearance fees.

pmerk34
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Navratilova and Agassi have complained about it. Navratilova once said they should blow up the entire tennis calendar.

November and December should be the offseason

Blinkism
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
"All" the complaints you keep hearing about are coming from the nadal fans on this board.

As for ATP players, Joker, nadal, robredo, roddick and a few others out of over one thousand have complained.

Fed's complained about it, too, for what it's worth.

Aren't Nadal and Fed the heads of the ATP player's council, along with Ljubicic or something? They should put the issue to a vote, really...

timnz
10-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Yes three months off would probably be a good thing - say mid-Nov. to mid-Feb. Players deal with Injuries, work on there game and fitness. You'd have a real sense of it being a new season rather than one season just moving into the next.

SystemicAnomaly
10-14-2009, 01:14 PM

This post intentionally left blank.

SystemicAnomaly
10-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I am not entitled to ask questions if I don't play on the tour? How broad-minded. I think the reason there are all these complaints among the top guys is that their rankings are already secure around this time of the year, so they don't gain much by playing these tournaments. I am curious: How many players out of the top 10 have been complaining about the length of the season?

If you played on the tour, you'd realize how grueling it is. To characterize these players as whiners is hardly BROAD-MINDED of you. Players may feel the need to play 11 months or more out of the year in order to protect their ranking as well as to keep their skills finely honed.

Players have been complaining for decades that the tour schedule is too demanding. Players don't have a reasonable off-season to re-tool their equipment and strokes. Take Jimmy Connors as an example. He had the weakest serve in men's tennis when he was active on the tour. Ironically, according to stories that I've heard, he developed a much better serve after he retired simply because he now had the time to do so.

Players in the past decade ot two are experiencing an alarming increase in the number of injuries due to the demands of the modern game as well as the demands of the long tennis season. Look at other sports. Most will have an off-season that is 3 months or longer. As it is, most tennis players will only have a viable career of 10 years, assuming that injuries don't shorten it significantly. It seems doubtful that Rafa Nadal will still be playing pro tennis much past 27. Will put money on him not making it to 30.

competition
10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Players aren't whinning for the sake of whinning, they have a valid point. Tennis isn't like any other sport, theses guys are traveling the world. Having to travel, change time zones, deal with jet lag, and then do it the next week or three weeks later takes a toll. Having a true off season, 3 months or so would allow these guys to rest up, deal with injuries, and then train for the up coming season.

SystemicAnomaly
10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
^ Good points. The OP and others should quit whining about the pros whining.