PDA

View Full Version : Nadal vs Soderling at the French Open

Agassifan
10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
.. there doesn't seem to be a single video of watchable quality on youtube (the couple that are of good quality are 2 minutes long). Anyone..?

crawl4
10-14-2009, 05:30 PM
yeh I went for a look on youtube and couldn't find many but I found the full match on a different site. The quality is decent.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1705499-soderling-vs-nadal-2009-french-open

enjoy :)

TheFifthSet
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
yeh I went for a look on youtube and couldn't find many but I found the full match on a different site. The quality is decent.

Wow, thanks for posting.

Carsomyr
10-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Good post. There's absolutely nothing watchable on Youtube (run by ********s? :razz: ) regarding this match.

JeMar
10-14-2009, 06:04 PM

Wow, great find. Thanks a bunch!

Agassifan
10-15-2009, 05:35 PM
WOW.. thanks. I still can't believe that youtube doesn't have anything decent on this match

wyutani
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
lol, who wants to see nadal lose?

can i DL this?

jamesblakefan#1
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Good find man. I know Tennis Channel site had it up for a while, I think this is taken from there.

RCizzle65
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I uploaded the Federer vs Soderling final highlights on my youtube account, but it got taken down by the French Tennis Federation, so yeah they don't want the videos up on youtube, it's all copyright, nothing to do with fed/*******s

TMF
10-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the link.

This is just perfect. For anybody who missed it back in May, this match was all Soderling, not b/c Nadal wasn't 100%. There wasn't any problem with his movements, he was lightning fast just as in any of his previous matches. Soderling was giving so much problem with his heavy groundstrokes. Nadal always win the war from the baseline, but that day Soderling was just another bigger beast. For the first time Nadal found himself that he was losing to a war of attrition in Paris. The comfort of playing great defense, and consistent to outlast his opponent physicially isn't there anymore b/c Soderling didn't allow him. Soderling's power put too much pressure on him. He was hoping that Soderling would slow down as the match progress, but Soderling was focus, and aggressive from beginning to end. He even serve better, getting free points, and crushed any balls that came back short. Obviously, Nadal came into the match with supreme confidence, but only to find fustration when he couldn't find a way to stop Soderling's ongoing assault and sheer determination.

I think it's about time for some of you to give Soderling his due. Nadal this time finally met his match.

namelessone
10-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the link.

This is just perfect. For anybody who missed it back in May, this match was all Soderling, not b/c Nadal wasn't 100%. There wasn't any problem with his movements, he was lightning fast just as in any of his previous matches. Soderling was giving so much problem with his heavy groundstrokes. Nadal always win the war from the baseline, but that day Soderling was just another bigger beast. For the first time Nadal found himself that he was losing to a war of attrition in Paris. The comfort of playing great defense, and consistent to outlast his opponent physicially isn't there anymore b/c Soderling didn't allow him. Soderling's power put too much pressure on him. He was hoping that Soderling would slow down as the match progress, but Soderling was focus, and aggressive from beginning to end. He even serve better, getting free points, and crushed any balls that came back short. Obviously, Nadal came into the match with supreme confidence, but only to find fustration when he couldn't find a way to stop Soderling's ongoing assault and sheer determination.

I think it's about time for some of you to give Soderling his due. Nadal this time finally met his match.

He met his "match" which he beat in Rome 6-1,6-0 with soderling even trying to cheat in the second set. Nadal didn't come at his best physically into RG 09',that's the truth. Numerous commentators said that Nadal played enough just to get through and couldn't bring the goods on that particular day and Soderling took advantage of that. Out of those observers I'll only mention McEnroe,Navratilova and Will Hamilton(FYB). It's the same situation like Federer/Djokovic in AO last year where even the most blind/biased tennis fan could see that Federer didn't look great physically(sweating a lot and he seemed less agile). Props to both Djoker and Soderling but Fed/Nadal weren't at their best that day.

I know some of you think this is taking credit away from Soderling. That's BS in my opinion. How is stating the obvious truth taking anything away from Soderling? The "case" for those who say Nadal was looking great in RG is the match against "clay legend" hewitt who did absolutely nothing to trouble Nadal on that day. The scoreline is too rough,it should have been something like 6-3,6-3,6-3 but either way Hewitt is past his prime and clay isn't exactly his things. The same guys who point out the hewitt match forget that Nadal had 2 way too close sets with another "Clay legend",31 year old Daniel,and if the brazilian had some cojones he would have taken at least a set(he had plenty BP's in the first). The Nadal of 05-08 would have handed at least a bagel or breadstick to Daniel. Oh,and nevermind that Nadal lost a set on clay in an exo against nr.109 in the world. That surely doesn't count,right?

You have no idea what you are talking about when you point out Nadal's game on clay. Nadal is most aggresive on clay and then on grass. Yes,he has time to defend on clay and he uses defense in the tough moments but on clay Nadal is the aggresor because he moves very well on this surface and has time to unleash his spinny shots with which he moves his opponents around,always forcing them to hit another shot. Here,Nadal can be the aggressor where he is standing at the baseline topspinning away or whether he is making shots on the run chasing after some ball. Nadal's problem was that he was hampered by his knees(went to the doctor after Madrid) and by the fact that he had a similar playing day to that when he faced daniel. Only Soderling is much much better than Daniel and actually took his chances.

Nadal overplayed in the clay season but unlike 08' he overplayed while having pain in his knees,which caused him to arrive in RG 09' not at his best physically. Seeing how much Nadal's game relies on his physique it affected him and his game.No way is healthy Nadal playing this close with Daniel or losing to nr.109 in the world,not to mention losing to Soderling which he beat a couple of weeks ago in Rome.Although I have to be fair and say that the 6-0,6-1 is misleading,Soderling played very well(most games were close) but Nadal played on of his better matches on clay that day and won convincingly.If Nadal had showed up in the Rome match like in RG he would have been straight setted.

Even with Soderling playing great and Nadal average,the last three sets were still very close and Nadal actually had chances to make it to five sets. You can imagine what would have happened if Nadal was in fighting form in RG. He probably would have won in four.

vive le beau jeu !
10-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the link.

great post ! :)

Adi-das
10-16-2009, 12:00 AM
fourth set tie break Soderling was hitting big. And i mean BIG!

wyutani
10-16-2009, 12:02 AM
no one answering my question. how to download this?!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the link.

Great post, totally agree!
And to "namelessone": If you know ANYTHING about tennis you would easily see that Soderling had a totally different tactics going into their FO-meeting, and of course he had a day where "everything worked" and he was hitting the lines all the time.

TheTruth
10-16-2009, 01:33 AM
He met his "match" which he beat in Rome 6-1,6-0 with soderling even trying to cheat in the second set. Nadal didn't come at his best physically into RG 09',that's the truth. Numerous commentators said that Nadal played enough just to get through and couldn't bring the goods on that particular day and Soderling took advantage of that. Out of those observers I'll only mention McEnroe,Navratilova and Will Hamilton(FYB). It's the same situation like Federer/Djokovic in AO last year where even the most blind/biased tennis fan could see that Federer didn't look great physically(sweating a lot and he seemed less agile). Props to both Djoker and Soderling but Fed/Nadal weren't at their best that day.

I know some of you think this is taking credit away from Soderling. That's BS in my opinion. How is stating the obvious truth taking anything away from Soderling? The "case" for those who say Nadal was looking great in RG is the match against "clay legend" hewitt who did absolutely nothing to trouble Nadal on that day. The scoreline is too rough,it should have been something like 6-3,6-3,6-3 but either way Hewitt is past his prime and clay isn't exactly his things. The same guys who point out the hewitt match forget that Nadal had 2 way too close sets with another "Clay legend",31 year old Daniel,and if the brazilian had some cojones he would have taken at least a set(he had plenty BP's in the first). The Nadal of 05-08 would have handed at least a bagel or breadstick to Daniel. Oh,and nevermind that Nadal lost a set on clay in an exo against nr.109 in the world. That surely doesn't count,right?

You have no idea what you are talking about when you point out Nadal's game on clay. Nadal is most aggresive on clay and then on grass. Yes,he has time to defend on clay and he uses defense in the tough moments but on clay Nadal is the aggresor because he moves very well on this surface and has time to unleash his spinny shots with which he moves his opponents around,always forcing them to hit another shot. Here,Nadal can be the aggressor where he is standing at the baseline topspinning away or whether he is making shots on the run chasing after some ball. Nadal's problem was that he was hampered by his knees(went to the doctor after Madrid) and by the fact that he had a similar playing day to that when he faced daniel. Only Soderling is much much better than Daniel and actually took his chances.

Nadal overplayed in the clay season but unlike 08' he overplayed while having pain in his knees,which caused him to arrive in RG 09' not at his best physically. Seeing how much Nadal's game relies on his physique it affected him and his game.No way is healthy Nadal playing this close with Daniel or losing to nr.109 in the world,not to mention losing to Soderling which he beat a couple of weeks ago in Rome.Although I have to be fair and say that the 6-0,6-1 is misleading,Soderling played very well(most games were close) but Nadal played on of his better matches on clay that day and won convincingly.If Nadal had showed up in the Rome match like in RG he would have been straight setted.

Even with Soderling playing great and Nadal average,the last three sets were still very close and Nadal actually had chances to make it to five sets. You can imagine what would have happened if Nadal was in fighting form in RG. He probably would have won in four.

Great post.

Soderling played great, no doubt about it, but there were factors as factors exist in every given situation.

namelessone
10-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Great post, totally agree!
And to "namelessone": If you know ANYTHING about tennis you would easily see that Soderling had a totally different tactics going into their FO-meeting, and of course he had a day where "everything worked" and he was hitting the lines all the time.

Oh yeah,"totally different tactics":):):) Are you kidding me? Soderling's tactics were the same as in RG:use the fact that you have more time to wind up your shots(soderling needs time to wind up his shots,just like Nadal)and pound the crap out of the ball.And the faster courts of this year's RG helped Soderling more than they did Nadal. And again,he did play very well in the Rome but there was one major difference:Nadal wasn't as far along into his tendinitis problems like in RG(Nadal had played with pain since MC and by RG he had managed to play through 4 tournaments with pain in his knees) and more importantly,Nadal actually had some length on his shots this time.

Most people just look at the scoreline of the Rome match and say it was a beatdown but almost all the games were close. If he would have played anyone else (except nadal/fed) out of the top10 he would have won on that day. But Nadal,who played average this clay season(I'm talking about game not results),had one of his best days and defeated soderling.

In RG,Nadal was the one having problems dictating play while in Rome Soderling found himself more on the run than Nadal. Why? Length of Nadal's shot. Soderling,as he himself said,went on court thinking it was practice and just pounded away,just like in the Rome match. But this time Nadal couldn't respond as well for whatever reasons and had to run more which is exactly what he didn't need after playing 4 tournaments with pain. So with Soderling dictating play and forcing Nadal to run and play short balls it was obvious that Nadal would lose or at least have a very hard time winning,at least for people who watched the match. Many times the match looked like a Nadal match would look on HC with one guy hitting flat off Nadal's short shots(and in turn forcing him to him more short shots) and Nadal running like crazy to reach those shots. Not how Nadal plays on clay and trust me,he has been pushed by other guys on clay,see djoker/fed the last few years,fed even winning a set by 6-1 in one of their finals or bagelling Nadal in hamburg.

Watch Will Hamilton's analysis on the match at hand on the FYB site. I think his objective point of view will enlighten you. Fact is Nadal had an off day,didn't play his best and soderling was great that day. And even so 3 of the sets were tightly contested. That should tell you something.

big bang
10-16-2009, 01:57 AM

another great post:) you are one of few on this site that actually understand Nadal´s problems this season, nice to see..
is *******s the same as ******s? you guys keep saying Nadal lost because Soderling played great.. he did play his best, but no way Nadal would ever lose a match agains him on clay if he where fit. at the same time you say Nadal was juiced and got suspended before wimby.. so what you are saying is that Soderling beat a healthy Nadal on juice at FO?? please grow up!!!

Gorecki
10-16-2009, 02:11 AM
whatever match you guys want, googlçe El rincon del tenis...

Gorecki
10-16-2009, 02:23 AM

http://www.elrincondeltenis.com/?p=4904

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Oh yeah,"totally different tactics":):):) Are you kidding me? Soderling's tactics were the same as in RG:use the fact that you have more time to wind up your shots(soderling needs time to wind up his shots,just like Nadal)and pound the crap out of the ball.And the faster courts of this year's RG helped Soderling more than they did Nadal. And again,he did play very well in the Rome but there was one major difference:Nadal wasn't as far along into his tendinitis problems like in RG(Nadal had played with pain since MC and by RG he had managed to play through 4 tournaments with pain in his knees) and more importantly,Nadal actually had some length on his shots this time.

Most people just look at the scoreline of the Rome match and say it was a beatdown but almost all the games were close. If he would have played anyone else (except nadal/fed) out of the top10 he would have won on that day. But Nadal,who played average this clay season(I'm talking about game not results),had one of his best days and defeated soderling.

In RG,Nadal was the one having problems dictating play while in Rome Soderling found himself more on the run than Nadal. Why? Length of Nadal's shot. Soderling,as he himself said,went on court thinking it was practice and just pounded away,just like in the Rome match. But this time Nadal couldn't respond as well for whatever reasons and had to run more which is exactly what he didn't need after playing 4 tournaments with pain. So with Soderling dictating play and forcing Nadal to run and play short balls it was obvious that Nadal would lose or at least have a very hard time winning,at least for people who watched the match. Many times the match looked like a Nadal match would look on HC with one guy hitting flat off Nadal's short shots(and in turn forcing him to him more short shots) and Nadal running like crazy to reach those shots. Not how Nadal plays on clay and trust me,he has been pushed by other guys on clay,see djoker/fed the last few years,fed even winning a set by 6-1 in one of their finals or bagelling Nadal in hamburg.

Watch Will Hamilton's analysis on the match at hand on the FYB site. I think his objective point of view will enlighten you. Fact is Nadal had an off day,didn't play his best and soderling was great that day. And even so 3 of the sets were tightly contested. That should tell you something.

You have the gift of writing, thats good for you.
I will stand by with what i said, he changed up his tactics a bit before the FO-match and what he really did was executing his tactics 100%, whereas in Rome it didnt work at all, if you look at the statistics from Rome you will see that Soderling had tons of gamepoints and most games were deuce, he just couldnt win the most important points obviously.
Whats Fed got too do with this?
LOOK AT YOUTUBE for gods sake the kid is running around the court like a ****ing maniac!! Tendonitis my ***!! "I-hate-soderling-and-cant-stand-losing-syndrome?? Yes, more likely.

wyutani
10-16-2009, 02:34 AM

my hero! thanks mate'.

crawl4
10-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Why don't we agree that Soderling played really well and Nadal was also not 100%, thus contributing to his loss. The thing that gets me is many players in grandslams, master or any event have injuries or something that prevents them from playing 100% and in many cases we never here of this injuries so why dont we just leave it at, Soderling beat Nadal fair and square.

:mrgreen:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Soderling beat Nadal fair and square.

Yes, he did!!
And if Nadal steps out on court (which he did, right Nad-*****) then he is 100% fit for fight! Or else he should go do something else

AAAA
10-16-2009, 03:17 AM

wyutani, Learn to make use of google. Google is like an oracle, you ask a question and if possible answers/solutions exist Google will list the links to them.

On the Google home page you type in('ask your question') something like

How to download video from vodpod.com

Then click any links shown to see if they do what you want.

Sometimes rephrasing the question can yield better results.

namelessone
10-16-2009, 03:51 AM

Myself and a lot of other forum members thank you for this great site. It is really hard to find full matches online for download,especially older ones.

Gorecki
10-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Myself and a lot of other forum members thank you for this great site. It is really hard to find full matches online for download,especially older ones.

well.. thank you for your kind words, but i must say that i am not responsible for that blog, although i have contributed for it.

it's an amazing place...

namelessone
10-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Why don't we agree that Soderling played really well and Nadal was also not 100%, thus contributing to his loss. The thing that gets me is many players in grandslams, master or any event have injuries or something that prevents them from playing 100% and in many cases we never here of this injuries so why dont we just leave it at, Soderling beat Nadal fair and square.

Well that's exactly what I was saying but somehow people ignore that. My point was that if Nadal came physically good into RG like in 05-08,we would have had a much better chance of winning it. I can't say if he would have won it because I am not all knowing,but I know this:no way is Nadal losing exo's to nr.109 in the world before RG,having trouble for 2 sets with 31 year old Daniel or nearly getting breadsticked by soderling(who had no other great claycourt results up until his match with Nadal)in the first set if he is healthy at the beginning of the competition. Not to mention arriving late on easy balls or missing easy shots,especially since he is a percentage player and rarely misses,unless he is forced to.

My statements about Nadal's physical problems and form are true for all the rounds he played in RG 09',not just the Soderling match. I watched and cringed as he had trouble for 2 sets with Daniel(again a 31-year old with a one-handed BH,Nadal should have eaten him up),he played a bit better against gabashvili but the russian didn't trouble him at all,same for hewitt who didn't seem that confident against Nadal(I though Nadal played above average but everybody was praising him which I thought was weird,probably has to do with the name of the opponent) and then we all know what happened with soderling.

And I don't see why some posters take my statements about Soderling taking advantage of Nadal's problems so personally. It's true and it's not like Nadal hasn't done the same on several occasions when his opponents weren't at their best physically.Only some players can mask this by playing shorter points thus giving themselves better odds but playing like this can be problematic for grinders.

vive le beau jeu !
10-16-2009, 04:48 AM
well.. thank you for your kind words, but i must say that i am not responsible for that blog, although i have contributed for it.

it's an amazing place...
hey man, i'm just coming back from your country... really great ! http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
and i have to say portuguese people are amazingly gentle... :)

(and pasteis de belem were good too, yes) ;)

drakulie
10-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Why don't we agree that Soderling played really well and Nadal was also not 100%, thus contributing to his loss.

Soderling was also injured in that match.

wyutani
10-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Soderling was also injured in that match.

hes injured too? is the umpire or the ball boys injured as well?

wot about the camera man? :confused:

Omega_7000
10-16-2009, 05:47 AM

Nope. Soderling and Nadal were the only ones injured that day.

wyutani
10-16-2009, 05:49 AM
wyutani, Learn to make use of google. Google is like an oracle, you ask a question and if possible answers/solutions exist Google will list the links to them.

On the Google home page you type in('ask your question') something like

How to download video from vodpod.com

Then click any links shown to see if they do what you want.

Sometimes rephrasing the question can yield better results.

tried that man, it obviously didnt work, thats why i bothered to ask. im still goggling navarro and dent's US open match.

and im using the thesaurus for aid too.

AAAA
10-16-2009, 05:57 AM
tried that man, it obviously didnt work, thats why i bothered to ask. im still goggling navarro and dent's US open match.

and im using the thesaurus for aid too.

It's worth a try. Usually something appropriate turns up but no always.

drakulie
10-16-2009, 06:00 AM

not sure about the rest of the people you mentioned, but Soderling was injured in the match against Nadal at the French this year.

Gorecki
10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
hey man, i'm just coming back from your country... really great ! http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
and i have to say portuguese people are amazingly gentle... :)

(and pasteis de belem were good too, yes) ;)

Dude... how dare you did not drop me a note...:(

where did you go?

TMF
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM

You act as if Nadal was struggling against the mediocre players in his 1st 3 matches this year. The fact is he went on to straight set all of them, that doesn't say anything about him struggling. Daniel could only won 55% on his 1st serve while facing 11 break points, that doesn't say much about him troubling nadal. All of his 1st 3 matches in the previous years wasn't a killer opponents either, and he straight set them too(except 2006). In fact, I would say Nadal struggled against Mathieu in the 3rd round 2006 when he got his serve broken SIX times. I can say 2009 Nadal would of straight set Mathieu.

Here's the number of Nadal's serve getting broken in his 1st 3 rounds:
2009 3, 0, 1...4 totals
2008 2, 1, 1...4 totals
2007 3, 2, 0...5 totals
2006 2, 0, 6...8 totals
2005 0, 2, 2...4 totals

Is nadal 2009 paled in comparison to 2005-08 the way you put it? Nahhhh.

namelessone
10-16-2009, 08:14 AM
You act as if Nadal was struggling against the mediocre players in his 1st 3 matches this year. The fact is he went on to straight set all of them, that doesn't say anything about him struggling. Daniel could only won 55% on his 1st serve while facing 11 break points, that doesn't say much about him troubling nadal. All of his 1st 3 matches in the previous years wasn't a killer opponents either, and he straight set them too(except 2006). In fact, I would say Nadal struggled against Mathieu in the 3rd round 2006 when he got his serve broken SIX times. I can say 2009 Nadal would of straight set Mathieu.

Here's the number of Nadal's serve getting broken in his 1st 3 rounds:
2009 3, 0, 1...4 totals
2008 2, 1, 1...4 totals
2007 3, 2, 0...5 totals
2006 2, 0, 6...8 totals
2005 0, 2, 2...4 totals

Is nadal 2009 paled in comparison to 2005-08 the way you put it? Nahhhh.

If you saw Nadal play in 05-09 you would see the difference in his first matches at RG. The nr. of breaks,MP's and other statistics don't always tell the story of a match. Nadal missed so many easy balls in the Daniel match,it was astounding,but in a bad way. And I'll tell you again,Daniel is a 31 year old player with a one-handed BH and I don't have to tell how Rafa handles himself against a certain,much more talented,player with a one-handed BH on clay. Daniel did nothing but pound the ball back and Nadal had trouble for about 2 sets and if the brazilian actually had some cojones he could have stole one set. Nadal played marginally better in the gabashvili and hewitt matches but I wasn't impressed with his level. Nadal can play much much better on clay. Even his junior,2005 level,was better than his 2009 level.

Nadal has been pushed at RG before but he has always come out on top. I didn't think he could keep this up forever but I don't think it's a lie to say that Nadal of the first 3 rounds in RG 09' was a mediocre clay court player,unlike the Nadal of RG 05-08,but he couldn't raise his game either due to lack of health because of knees or because of a lack of form. I said it before,even if he got by Soderling,he wouldn't have made finals playing like this and davydenko would have given him fits in this condition. Sometimes you need the luck of the draw. Look at shanghai where Rafa is playing sub-average tennis but delpo/soderling/cilic got kicked out and his opponent in the quarter retired. He has the real possibility of reaching a masters final without facing any tough opponents and while playing crappy tennis. In RG,after third round,while playing average tennis he would have faced soderling-davydenko-gonzales/murray-Federer. Not an easy draw for a guy not at his best.

bangchu
10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
another great post:) you are one of few on this site that actually understand Nadal´s problems this season, nice to see..
is *******s the same as ******s? you guys keep saying Nadal lost because Soderling played great.. he did play his best, but no way Nadal would ever lose a match agains him on clay if he where fit. at the same time you say Nadal was juiced and got suspended before wimby.. so what you are saying is that Soderling beat a healthy Nadal on juice at FO?? please grow up!!!

You even mentioned it, the reason Nadal lost was because he forgot his juice. Deal with it and shut up!

drakulie
10-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Not an easy draw for a guy not at his best.

Same for Sodelring, but he made it to the finals even playing at less than 100% and injured.

bangchu
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
not sure about the rest of the people you mentioned, but Soderling was injured in the match against Nadal at the French this year.

Injured Soderling beat injured / juice-missing Nadal ------> Healthy Soderling beats healthy + juice-drinking Nadal.

rommil
10-16-2009, 08:29 AM
You even mentioned it, the reason Nadal lost was because he forgot his juice. Deal with it and shut up!

It's the juice that the containers need to be aligned with a source of light (sun, stadium lights etc) to keep it's potency. Unfortunately Nadal didn't know it's potency is diminished if he wears a pink shirt and/or when he is playing against tall players with 2 handed backhands.

Cyan
10-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Nadal was going to lose this yr at RG it was written in the stars. No player has ever won 5 FO in a row, in any era. No male player or female player... While the other 3 slams(AO, W, USO), some players have even won them like 7 yrs in a row in the amateur era but not the FO. It is a curse, and Nadal was going to lose this yr. Because Borg couldn't win 5 FO in a row and neither could Lenglen. Swodeling was just there at the right time. But Nadal was going to lose this yr at the FO. Period.

mandy01
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
It's the juice that the containers need to be aligned with a source of light (sun, stadium lights etc) to keep it's potency. Unfortunately Nadal didn't know it's potency is diminished if he wears a pink shirt and/or when he is playing against tall players with 2 handed backhands.
:lol::lol:

bruce38
10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
HOw come Nadal didn't call for a trainer if his knees were bothering him so much? Like at W07?

drakulie
10-16-2009, 10:54 AM
HOw come Nadal didn't call for a trainer if his knees were bothering him so much? Like at W07?

Because he was told by his doctors the new ground-breaking treatment for knee injuries is to play thru pain/injury. Which explains why he was on a practice court during Wimbledon (while injured), and why he played doubles as well as singles on hardcourt when he came back from "injury".

vive le beau jeu !
10-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Dude... how dare you did not drop me a note...:(

where did you go?
sorry, i posted a message here on the forum a bit before going (a last minute organisation, as often with me...) but you obviously missed it. :? shame on me, i should have sent you a private message instead...

we went in many places from the north to the south !
in a short way, here were the night stops: braganca, chaves, porto, povao dao (viseu), tomar, lisboa, monchique, tavira, evora.

maybe i can tell you more "off-forum" ? i'm afraid i would be suspected of a sort of "train interference" ;) if i start to write pages about my holidays in this thread... :p

Chadwixx
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Because he was told by his doctors the new ground-breaking treatment for knee injuries is to play thru pain/injury. Which explains why he was on a practice court during Wimbledon (while injured), and why he played doubles as well as singles on hardcourt when he came back from "injury".

He plays his whole career with taped knee's then takes it off when they get injured? Is it bad for you or something?

IvanAndreevich
10-16-2009, 01:13 PM
After re-watching this match I change my verdict. It's hardly possible for Nadal (with his playing style in general) to play ANY better than he did against Soderling. Nadal relies on:

1) Outmaneuvering the opponent from the baseline.
2) Getting a short ball.
3) Putting it away.

When he got the short ball, he almost ALWAYS put it away as he normally does. Soderling just barely gave him any of those. He went for big shots, and it paid off more often than not.

Soderling's rally ground strokes were a foot from the lines and ~90 mph. Yeah, Nadal is slower than 90 mph, but he was very fast in that match by human (not ball) standards. Anyone who thinks that Rafa wasn't moving well is delusional in my opinion.

Nadal was playing LIGHTS OUT tennis at the beginning of the 3rd set. Incredible stuff. You just watch what kind of plays Soderling came up with and tell me who could do anything to stop that from yielding success. NOBODY.

Actually, Nadal made the same tactical error that Federer made at the USO against Del Potro. He relied too much on his defense. He had great success when he was the one moving Soderling around aggressively and controlling the points.

scotus
10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Nadal was playing LIGHTS OUT tennis at the beginning of the 3rd set. Incredible stuff. You just watch what kind of plays Soderling came up with and tell me who could do anything to stop that from yielding success. NOBODY.

Nadal can definitely improve the depth of his shots.

Watch any match Nadal loses, and I can guarantee that his groundies fall way too short.

These loopy topspin shots that fall usually a couple of feet behind service lines are now getting some of these tall power players with consistent groundies licking their chops, as they can simply step in a few feet inside the baseline and attack those.

Nadal has to hit his shots deeper unless he is going for sharp angles.

crawl4
10-16-2009, 02:10 PM
A divorce behind Nadal's poor form?

London: For Roger Federer, beginning his Wimbledon campaign at the Centre Court had become routine until Rafael Nadal snatched the baton from him last year. So on Monday, when Federer was ushered in to Nadal's shoes, many were watching expectantly. And the champion didn't disappoint. He looked in perfect form, well set to bag the Wimbledon and get his 15th Grand Slam title.

However, Times online reported on Tuesday that all was not fine for his nemesis Rafael Nadal back home in Majorca. For many weeks there have been whispers that matters were complicated in the Nadal household -- that his parents, Sebastian and Ana Maria had separated. The website further went on to confirm its claims.

If the information holds true, Nadal could well have been playing under much stress in the past few months. He is crushed and any fair-minded person has to be crushed for him. Imagine what it has been like, trying to do your duty by yourself, your team and your profession and yet having to perform when your heart is elsewhere, the distressing nightly calls home, the wish that it were not so, the desire for a reconciliation.

Nadal, however, never mentioned a word about his grief, he played and hoped. He talked about resetting his body after having to withdraw from the championships with problem knees. The reality could be that he might have to rest his entire life.

If he needs help, he could ask the Murray brothers. Both have had to deal for more than half their lives with the fact that their parents, Willie and Judy, live separate lives.

For the Murrays, it is something they have long adjusted to. They have turned out spectacularly well.

But for Nadal to endure such atrauma at 23 will be exceedinglydifficult.

I'm not saying that's not true but how many reasons do we need for Nadal's losses. He wasn't 100% on the day and got beat by a player who was insane on the day

Agassifan
10-16-2009, 09:13 PM
After re-watching this match I change my verdict. It's hardly possible for Nadal (with his playing style in general) to play ANY better than he did against Soderling. Nadal relies on:

2) Getting a short ball.
3) Putting it away.

When he got the short ball, he almost ALWAYS put it away as he normally does. Soderling just barely gave him any of those. He went for big shots, and it paid off more often than not.

Soderling's rally ground strokes were a foot from the lines and ~90 mph. Yeah, Nadal is slower than 90 mph, but he was very fast in that match by human (not ball) standards. Anyone who thinks that Rafa wasn't moving well is delusional in my opinion.

Actually, Nadal made the same tactical error that Federer made at the USO against Del Potro. He relied too much on his defense. He had great success when he was the one moving Soderling around aggressively and controlling the points.

Absolutely. I have no doubt that Nadal got beat by Soderling playing some of the best tennis of his life. I doubt anyone but federer would've beat Sod that day - and that is only because fed has the type of game that can match up against hitters like him. Sod was creaming it. Even in the 4th set, Nadal was playing at a very high level.

namelessone
10-17-2009, 12:37 AM

2) Getting a short ball.
3) Putting it away.

Nobody is saying that Soderling didn't play well but the truth is that if you put those two on a clay court Nadal wins 9 out of 10 matches. Both have simple tactics,it's not like they are master tacticians. Nadal pounds the BH side with spin(sometimes even the FH side) and retrieves everything back on the defense and then waits for a short reply which he puts away. Soderling pounds every shot left and right from both sides when he has time to wind up and hopes for the best.

Their Rome match followed the same coordinates only Nadal was in good form on that day and ended up winning 6-1,6-0. But the scoreline is very deceiving.Most games went to deuce or were very close but Nadal's superior play prevailed that day. But Soderling played scary good tennis for 2/3 of the match.He would have defeated anyone not named Nadal/Fed that day but Nadal actually had a answer for Soderling's flat shots because he played very deep that day,even when returning those shots.

Regarding RG: If you would have asked me what I thought about Nadal's playing level in the first 3 rounds I would have said he played mediocre tennis with some flashes of brilliance here and there but nothing spectacular. Nadal could have probably have got away with it if he didn't meet a red hot soderling in the 4th round. But Nadal didn't come into RG with his A-game and he wasn't at his best physically. I can't explain how weird I felt seeing Nadal reaching Daniel's not-that-fast balls late and dumping them into the net for the first 2 sets.Again,we are talking about a 31 year old with a one-handed BH.Nadal should have eaten him up. He played better against Gabashvili and Hewitt but again I didn't feel he played that great because I knew he played better tennis in the past.

Regarding injury: I don't know if Nadal's pain affected his play or movement. We are talking about Nadal,the best mover on clay,so it's tough to see any differences in his movement,especially on clay,a surface in which you slide A LOT and could actually hide some problems because you can slide into shots and not have to pound those knees running so much.Now correct me if I am wrong but I remember Nadal signalling(to his box probably) that he couldn't bend properly somewhere in the 3rd or 4th set(can't remember).
Let's assume Nadal's movement was not affected and that he had little or no pain. Why withdraw from queens and wimbledon if his knees didn't bother him?
Surely he couldn't have been fine and dandy in 4th round RG and be plagued with pain a week later,while he was resting?

Some have said that Nadal got scared of getting beat again so that's why he withdrew.I would believe that if we were talking about some small tournaments but not about queens/wimbledon,some of the biggest tournaments around.And we are talking about Rafael Nadal,one of the biggest fighters in tennis.No one is withdrawing from WB because he is scared of getting beat,especially when you are defending champion.If anything Nadal would have wanted to prove his critics wrong and defend his crown.
The other theory is drakulie's suspension theory but I have already commented on that so many times that it is making me sick.

Truth is that Nadal played the whole clay season with pain,won a few tournaments,didn't prepare his schedule so as to peak in RG and had the bad luck of meeting a red hot player while he wasn't in good form,both physical and form-wise.So he left the clay season without its biggest prize(RG) and with busted knees and was forced to quit the entire grass season. I can't really think of a worse scenario for Rafael Nadal,underperforming in your most succesful slam and missing your favourite slam because of injury.

Gorecki
10-17-2009, 01:05 AM
sorry, i posted a message here on the forum a bit before going (a last minute organisation, as often with me...) but you obviously missed it. :? shame on me, i should have sent you a private message instead...

we went in many places from the north to the south !
in a short way, here were the night stops: braganca, chaves, porto, povao dao (viseu), tomar, lisboa, monchique, tavira, evora.

maybe i can tell you more "off-forum" ? i'm afraid i would be suspected of a sort of "train interference" ;) if i start to write pages about my holidays in this thread... :p

and you have been to Porto, my town....... i'm about to "shove this f____ ball down your f___ throat" for not letting me know in due time... i would be more than happy to take you around the city and meet a few train wreckage places where you would meet the other "Pasteis de Nata" (the liquor shot) :)

anyways... im glad you had a pleasent time here. drop me a pm so we can talk...

vive le beau jeu !
10-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Not only are Nadals parents divorcing but his dad may go to jail. His father is being prosecuted criminally!

The father of tennis player Rafael Nadal, Sebastian Nadal,
declared as a witness before the investigating judge
the so-called "case of double sales," a course
multimillion-dollar fraud with the successive sale of plots
with sea views in the Majorcan resort of
Andratx.

According to judicial sources confirmed, Sebastian Nadal
yesterday went to investigating magistrate for 12 Palma
explain a hypothetical business relationship he had with
one of those arrested since last
April, the French businessman Patrick Duchemin.

Less than ten minutes

The sources said that the father of Rafael Nadal
remained "less than ten minutes" testifying before the
Judge Alvaro Latorre, a view which also
present was Peter Horrach corruption prosecutor.

The same sources indicated that the statement is
Sebastian tried to clarify whether any acquired Nadal
of land to Duchemin, or some of their
societies, a fact which would have caused the
subpoena.

Rafael Nadal's father remained "less than ten
minutes "testifying before the judge
The "case of double sales" in Andratx has been
investigated by several courts of Criminal and Civil
Palma and so far, four people have been arrested,
Patrick Duchemin, and three other alleged figureheads of
Belgian nationality.

The act affects plot, apparently, lawyers,
registrars of property, solicitors and employers,
whose involvement in the incident is under investigation by the
judges, who have also proven the existence of
organized gangs who swindled hundreds of millions of
EUR falsifying identity documents and passports
the legitimate owners of the land.

All research of the "case of double sales"
its criminal aspect has been assumed by the Court
Instruction 11, as other courts, which instruct
various complaints, were inhibited.

However, Instruction No. 12 remains the
jurisdiction over related facts
assumptions that signed proxies operations
sale.
come on, give a break to the Nadaleone familia... that's the wonderful mallorquin way of life, after all. :cool:

TheFifthSet
10-17-2009, 10:47 AM
You don't think that your parents divorcing and the possibility of you father being thrown in jail the night before a match is going to affect you?

Does your hate have no end?

Doesn't like 45% of the population go through the same thing?

But yes, poor Rafa. We should give him another year before we expect him to play well. And if, say, he wins the French Open next year, we can say he won it with a broken heart. :rolleyes:

Go away, HEADHUNTER.

Gorecki
10-17-2009, 11:19 AM
You don't think that your parents divorcing and the possibility of you father being thrown in jail the night before a match is going to affect you?

Does your hate have no end?

No Nadal Freak..

it's not about my hate... it's about living and taking it like a man.

if my mother and my father were to divorce im pretty sure it would be better than live in a inferno (if i was still living with them)..

if my father was to be sent to jail for fraud (commint a crime), well... sure it would affect me...
but if he did something to get there, what can i say?

vive le beau jeu !
10-17-2009, 11:59 AM
No Nadal Freak..

it's not about my hate... it's about living and taking it like a man.

if my mother and my father were to divorce im pretty sure it would be better than live in a inferno (if i was still living with them)..

if my father was to be sent to jail for fraud (commint a crime), well... sure it would affect me...
but if he did something to get there, what can i say?
true, but if you -as the evil nadal- were responsible for the prosecution of your own (supposed) father because you secretely manipulated his real estate affairs in his back (yes i know, it's a scoop), wouldn't you feel a bit guilty ? and wouldn't it affect the efficience of your precious topspin in your tennis matches ? :)

PS: by the way, i pm-ed you. ;)

GasquetGOAT
10-17-2009, 01:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

and ......dont forget his parents are still not divorced. As you said living in that hell is not an easy thing ....especially under the microscope of the public eye .

And whether you father is guilty or not makes no difference....seeing him being carted off to jail and reading all the tabloids about it would be hard on anyone. Have a heart.....

Federer's fairy tale lily white lif is just so easy.

I agree Nadal's having such a difficult time must be unbearable how does he live with all the agonizing pain and hardship in life?!:confused:

http://aldeaw.rpp.com.pe/garage69/files/2009/02/nadal-dbs1.jpg
http://l.images.easyautosales.com/2009-Aston-Martin-DBS-5763367-535.jpg
http://s11.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/a/3/a3ziw28pgtqm3ait.jpg

GasquetGOAT
10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Money is not everything.....most of Hollywood is miserable.....just take a look at Michael Jackson.

Yeah What do the poor people in third world countries know about miserable until they experience Hollywood...

drakulie
10-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Money is not everything.....most of Hollywood is miserable.....just take a look at Michael Jackson.

Soderling was severely injured when he beat the tar out of Nadal at the French.

drakulie
10-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Why are you comparing Soderling (who was severely injured at the French) to Hitler??

akv89
10-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Wow....I knew you guys were Federer fans but I had no idea the level of your hate.

Hate at this level tends to dehumanize.....the way whites dehumanized slaves, Hitler dehumanized Jews, or the Spanish dehumanized the Aztecs.

This is a very sad discussion board that has been hijacked by a small group of haters. Hitler started out the same way.

I never knew Hitler posted here

drakulie
10-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Me neither. I'll tell ya, the things we learn on these boards. :)

TheMusicLover
10-17-2009, 02:11 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

and ......dont forget his parents are still not divorced. As you said living in that hell is not an easy thing ....especially under the microscope of the public eye .

And whether you father is guilty or not makes no difference....seeing him being carted off to jail and reading all the tabloids about it would be hard on anyone. Have a heart.....

Godheavens, who are you? Rafa's baby-sitter?
He's a grown-up, very talented, very popular and very rich guy. I'm sure he he'll manage to cope with whatever nastiness in life comes along his way.

Federer's fairy tale lily white lif is just so easy.

Oh, of course. Might I remind you that one of the persons that Federer cherished most in his young life, one Peter Carter (http://federermagic.blogspot.com/2004/12/who-is-peter-carter.html) actually DIED in an accident? DIED, as in 'will never ever see him again'?

vive le beau jeu !
10-17-2009, 03:13 PM
he is a well-known hardcore nadal fan.

Gorecki
10-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow....I knew you guys were Federer fans but I had no idea the level of your hate.

Hate at this level tends to dehumanize.....the way whites dehumanized slaves, Hitler dehumanized Jews, or the Spanish dehumanized the Aztecs.

This is a very sad discussion board that has been hijacked by a small group of haters. Hitler started out the same way.

so, if i dont feel simpathetic for a guy who makes millions playing the sport he loves, because his parents dont get along i'm comparable to hitler...

boy oh boy... has the political correctness kit been delivered to you last week.?

drakulie
10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
A couple of differences.....

1- this is his parents...and more importnatly

2- this takes place quite literally on the eve of the FO and continued through Wimbledon, and the USO. It's no coincidence that he pulled out of Wimbledon.

Soderling was going thru the same thing. Only difference is, he found out **during** the match.

lawrence
10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
so, if i dont feel simpathetic for a guy who makes millions playing the sport he loves, because his parents dont get along i'm comparable to hitler...

boy oh boy... has the political correctness kit been delivered to you last week.?

Didn't you know Gorecki? Lack of sympathy for Nadal = MURDER.
We're all going to jail.

Can one of the mods please ban Junk Master already?

Gorecki
10-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Soderling was going thru the same thing. Only difference is, he found out **during** the match.

i see you are also a hater disguised under the name of Drakulie... mostlikely Saloth Sar Polpot... please join us, those who belong to the "Dictators and Genocide Makers who dont like Nadal association"

Didn't you know Gorecki? Lack of sympathy for Nadal = MURDER.
We're all going to jail.

Can one of the mods please ban Junk Master already?

Lawrence : in a way i like having Nadal_freak back... let him fill up the boards with this Nadal loving non-sense

TheFifthSet
10-18-2009, 12:29 AM
i see you are also a hater disguised under the name of Drakulie... mostlikely Saloth Sar Polpot... please join us, those who belong to the "Dictators and Genocide Makers who dont like Nadal association"

Lawrence : in a way i like having Nadal_freak back... let him fill up the boards with this Nadal loving non-sense

It's isn't Nadal_Freak . . . . it's THEHEADHUNTER. Compare posts and you'll see what I mean.

Gorecki
10-18-2009, 12:45 AM
It's isn't Nadal_Freak . . . . it's THEHEADHUNTER. Compare posts and you'll see what I mean.

omg... you are right...:)

TheFifthSet
10-18-2009, 02:18 AM
omg... you are right...:)

Glad I'm not the only one that sees it.

I also have a feeling that "Junk Master" and "TheHeadHunder" are old Maximo's handles . . . just a hunch. :)

Heyford Price
10-18-2009, 03:43 AM

Sh*t I didn't know that neither

Heyford Price
10-18-2009, 03:47 AM
I also have a feeling that "Junk Master" and "TheHeadHunder" are old Maximo's handles . . . just a hunch. :)

Me too (10 char)

zagor
10-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Soderling is Hitler ?!? What are his crimes against humanity,beating Nadal at the FO? I assure you there are worst things than that in life(hard to believe I know).

lawrence
10-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Federer = Hitler.
He speaks German, and beat Nadal at Madrid this year. How **** of him.

GasquetGOAT
10-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Glad I'm not the only one that sees it.

and I'm pretty sure Nadal Freak is in the guise of 8pNadal :twisted:

GasquetGOAT
10-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Federer = Hitler.
He speaks German, and beat Nadal at Madrid this year. How **** of him.

Crushing Nadal infront of the entire Madrid crowd was certainly viewed as a crime in Spain.

namelessone
10-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Crushing Nadal infront of the entire Madrid crowd was certainly viewed as a crime in Spain.

6-4,6-4 is not a crushing,it's a close defeat. Nadal crushings have happened at montreal/cincy/uso/beijing/shanghai but not in Madrid and I have taken into account both the scoreline and how Nadal played versus his opponent.

NamRanger
10-18-2009, 06:58 AM
6-4,6-4 is not a crushing,it's a close defeat. Nadal crushings have happened at montreal/cincy/uso/beijing/shanghai but not in Madrid and I have taken into account both the scoreline and how Nadal played versus his opponent.

Sarcasm dude, sarcasm. Federer clearly outplayed Nadal though in the Madrid final; he was never in any danger of losing that match.

namelessone
10-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Sarcasm dude, sarcasm. Federer clearly outplayed Nadal though in the Madrid final; he was never in any danger of losing that match.

I don't remember it that way,I remember that Nadal had BP's to make it 2-0 in the first and Federer pulled out with two great points and that at 5-4 in the second Federer served to get out of another tight situation(can't remember the score though now) and won the match. He outplayed Nadal in the key moments but didn't blow him off the court as some suggest.
Even Nadal said that Federer played better that day.

NamRanger
10-18-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't remember it that way,I remember that Nadal had BP's to make it 2-0 in the first and Federer pulled out with two great points and that at 5-4 in the second Federer served to get out of another tight situation(can't remember the score though now) and won the match. He outplayed Nadal in the key moments but didn't blow him off the court as some suggest.
Even Nadal said that Federer played better that day.

What I mean by that was that Federer was always leading throughout the entire match, and never was playing from behind. That's an unusual scenario for a clay match between Federer and Nadal, and that usually means Federer is just outplaying the living daylights out of Nadal, which he did that day.

TMF
10-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow, Nadal lost during the clay season and some people are attacking the victorious players. Soderling and Fed haters are still at it's peak despite Nadal's defeats in Madrid and Paris was many months ago. How long will they get it over with.

Meanwhile, Davy just rafa in Shanghai. Is he on their hate list now?

inthemisosoup
10-20-2009, 07:20 AM
^i know, the fo happened 5 months ago, and still there are excuses flying.

nadal did not lose that match because he was upset about his parents' divorce. for sure it affected him, divorce affects children no matter what age they are. but he didn't lose a match because of it. i'm sure rafa has many meditative techniques to get him mentally in the match and no where else. top players have to do that, or else they would never win in big moments. they all have amazing mental toughness.

rafa, winner of 6 gs and four in a row at the fo, that's an amazing feat. don't make it ugly by coming up with excuse after excuse for sure a tough loss for him and for his fans. but suck it up and move on. i'm sure rafa did, or he wouldn't be showing such results the past few tournaments (shanghai final, uso semi). i know it's hard that rafa lost at the fo to a player he was already rumored to dislike, but, c'mon, he had a will continue to have a great run on clay. it's not like he was going to keep winning forever . . . federer fans had to deal with this last year at wimbledon, it happens, and perhaps (and this is pretty likely) he will win in 2010 and all will be right with the world again. :)

namelessone
10-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Wow, Nadal lost during the clay season and some people are attacking the victorious players. Soderling and Fed haters are still at it's peak despite Nadal's defeats in Madrid and Paris was many months ago. How long will they get it over with.

Meanwhile, Davy just rafa in Shanghai. Is he on their hate list now?

How is it attacking players if we mention or analyze the matches played? I for one recognised that Federer played better that Nadal in Madrid.Even Nadal did. I don't however agree that it was a "turning point" or that Nadal got massively outplayed. Federer was just a bit better that day and tried some new tactics against a less then stellar Nadal who had played a tough match the day before. Deserved victory for Federer.

Soderling was red hot in RG and Nadal didn't bring his A-game in the whole RG campaign and he wasn't at his best physically entering this tournament. Most tennis comentators and observers(I can't imagine that they are all *******s) said that Nadal wasn't in the best form this RG. Credit to Soderling for not wiltering away but as I said before Davydenko would have taken Nadal out the way Rafa was playing in RG.

Analyzing a match doesn't take anything away from the victor nor does it give something(like an excuse) to the loser. It's my view on the match. Here's my view on another important,non-Nadal match,DelPo-Federer at USO. Federer was clearly dominating DelPo and then his brain fell asleep in the end of the second while he was firmly controlling play and allowed DelPo back in the match. Winning the second gave DelPo a lot of confidence and he started blasting Federer with balls on both sides. Even after Federer won the third the Argie was still kicking and in the end he proved too much for Federer. If Federer wouldn't have played around in the end of the third it is very likely that he would have won in 3 sets.

Did I just attack DelPotro?

Agassifan
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
This is ridiculous. If any, Nadal's excuse should be as valid as federer's mono at the Aussie. Imagine, fed would've made 18 staight slam finals. 18.

But not many are complaining. At least fed lost in the SF to the eventual winner

namelessone
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
This is ridiculous. If any, Nadal's excuse should be as valid as federer's mono at the Aussie. Imagine, fed would've made 18 staight slam finals. 18.

But not many are complaining. At least fed lost in the SF to the eventual winner

Federer definitely had something wrong with him in AO 08'. I've never seen Federer sweat so much or be so slow on movement. That's the best description I can give of Federer in that year's AO,a bit slower in reaction time. As a Nadal fan I have no reason to excuse Fed but something didn't seem right with him to me,as a neutral observer. But if I am not mistaken,he didn't know he had mono. I don't know if Fed's mono affected his game or not,or how much did it play a part in Fed's loss but I can't say that Federer looked great physically.

Just my 2 cents.

Agassifan
10-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Federer definitely had something wrong with him in AO 08'. I've never seen Federer sweat so much or be so slow on movement. That's the best description I can give of Federer in that year's AO,a bit slower in reaction time. As a Nadal fan I have no reason to excuse Fed but something didn't seem right with him to me,as a neutral observer. But if I am not mistaken,he didn't know he had mono. I don't know if Fed's mono affected his game or not,or how much did it play a part in Fed's loss but I can't say that Federer looked great physically.

Just my 2 cents.

I am a big Fed fan, but I am not crying out excuses over his loss. Yes.. it would've been the greatest streak in tennis history by a million miles (18 straight finals in unfathomable, especially since 10 and 7 are his own records), but he got beat and has to live with the facts.

big bang
10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
What I mean by that was that Federer was always leading throughout the entire match, and never was playing from behind. That's an unusual scenario for a clay match between Federer and Nadal, and that usually means Federer is just outplaying the living daylights out of Nadal, which he did that day.

try watching that match again, then watch any Nadal match on clay from 08 or beginning of this clay-season and compare them.
in madrid Nadal moved so bad compared to his normal standards, he made so many UE because of his lack of movement. Federer played a good match, but Nadal played a crappy one..
I have a lot of his matches at home and compared both his his loss in madrid and FO to several other matches and its very clear to me he had some kind of problems causing him to move like he did..

thejoe
10-21-2009, 01:28 PM
try watching that match again, then watch any Nadal match on clay from 08 or beginning of this clay-season and compare them.
in madrid Nadal moved so bad compared to his normal standards, he made so many UE because of his lack of movement. Federer played a good match, but Nadal played a crappy one..
I have a lot of his matches at home and compared both his his loss in madrid and FO to several other matches and its very clear to me he had some kind of problems causing him to move like he did..

It's easy to see problems where there aren't any when you're looking for them.

The Pure One
10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
He met his "match" which he beat in Rome 6-1,6-0 with soderling even trying to cheat in the second set. Nadal didn't come at his best physically into RG 09',that's the truth.

Thank God you are not taking anything away from Soderling victory over Nadal. Your argument has a faulty logic. Just because Soderilng lost to Nadal a few weeks earlier 1-0, we must conclude that he could not lose to him (ever)? And since Nadal could not lost to him, that surely means that something happened (injury) to Nadal at RG? This is tennis, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. And I believe that the number 21 in the world is capable of beating anyone in the top 10 any day. Just ask Nadal and Federer by the way.

Numerous commentators said that Nadal played enough just to get through and couldn't bring the goods on that particular day and Soderling took advantage of that. Out of those observers I'll only mention McEnroe,Navratilova and Will Hamilton(FYB). It's the same situation like Federer/Djokovic in AO last year where even the most blind/biased tennis fan could see that Federer didn't look great physically(sweating a lot and he seemed less agile). Props to both Djoker and Soderling but Fed/Nadal weren't at their best that day.

Let me see. When exactly Nadal got injured? Before Madrid? During Madrid? At the early rounds of the FO? If it was before Madrid, why he played there? BTW, he did not want to play in Madrid because the probability of him being defeated because of the high altitude. Remember? Got injured during Madrid? Can you say he was not playing at his best during the DJ semis? So that leaves us of a possible injury at the FO. BTW, what kind of injury makes you play like Nadal did in Madrid and the FO without even call the trainer? IMHO the way Soderling played (insanely good) just made Nadal look bad and therefore like he wasn’t in his best that day. If Nadal was injured it was not the kind of injury that affects the outcome of a match.

I know some of you think this is taking credit away from Soderling.

Aren’t you? Let me ask you this: A healthy Nadal could not be defeated by Soderling (the way he played in his victory over Nadal) on clay?
No need to answer my question, you already did below, “If Nadal had showed up in the Rome match like in RG he would have been straight setted”.
Thank God you are not taking credit away from Soderling. Again, this is tennis, sometimes you play good and win and sometimes you are forced to play bad and lose.

How is stating the obvious truth taking anything away from Soderling? The "case" for those who say Nadal was looking great in RG is the match against "clay legend" hewitt who did absolutely nothing to trouble Nadal on that day. The scoreline is too rough,it should have been something like 6-3,6-3,6-3 but either way Hewitt is past his prime and clay isn't exactly his things.

Obvious truth? Obvious? Really? You have the right to an opinion (like everybody else) but to say that you have the truth… the obvious truth… NO.

The use of Hewitt as an example of Nadal “problems” is precisely against your opinion. Do you remember when Hewitt almost defeated Nadal in clay - Hamburg 2007 (2-6, 6-3, 7-5)? Oh, I know, Nadal was tired or like you like to say, wasn’t at his best that day.

You have no idea what you are talking about when you point out Nadal's game on clay. Nadal is most aggresive on clay and then on grass. Yes, he has time to defend on clay and he uses defense in the tough moments but on clay Nadal is the aggresor because he moves very well on this surface and has time to unleash his spinny shots with which he moves his opponents around, always forcing them to hit another shot. Here, Nadal can be the aggressor where he is standing at the baseline topspinning away or whether he is making shots on the run chasing after some ball. Nadal's problem was that he was hampered by his knees (went to the doctor after Madrid) and by the fact that he had a similar playing day to that when he faced daniel. Only Soderling is much much better than Daniel and actually took his chances.

Why in the world nobody came forward -except *******s- and said that Nadal was going to lose the FO because they had noticed that Nadal was not moving “well”? Nobody, because giving his previous performances (including the Soderling match) he looked well.

Nadal overplayed in the clay season but unlike 08' he overplayed while having pain in his knees, which caused him to arrive in RG 09' not at his best physically. Seeing how much Nadal's game relies on his physique it affected him and his game. No way is healthy Nadal playing this close with Daniel or losing to nr.109 in the world, not to mention losing to Soderling which he beat a couple of weeks ago in Rome. Although I have to be fair and say that the 6-0,6-1 is misleading, Soderling played very well(most games were close) but Nadal played on of his better matches on clay that day and won convincingly. If Nadal had showed up in the Rome match like in RG he would have been straight setted.

This is your logic: If Federer just have played in the USO final 2009 like he did on the 2009 AO quarter finals against Del Potro (6-3 6-0 6-0), he would have won the USO. In fact , “It would have been straight setted” like you like to say. Therefore, we have to conclude that something was wrong with Federer at the USO.

To me is simply wrong to compare previous matches and then try to draw logical conclusions from there. What if Soderling made the necessary adjustments to defeat Nadal? What if Del Potro made the necessary adjustments to defeat Federer?

Even with Soderling playing great and Nadal average, the last three sets were still very close and Nadal actually had chances to make it to five sets. You can imagine what would have happened if Nadal was in fighting form in RG. He probably would have won in four.

But, what happened to the “would have been straight setted”? Now is four “setted”. May be next time you write about this topic it would be a fifth "setted" match. Again, thank God you are not taking credit away from Soderling!

To me Soderling came out with a clear game-plan and executed it to perfection right from the start, taking control of rallies early and dictating play with punishing forehands and backhands. He never faced a breakpoint in the 1st and 3rd set and finished the game with 61 winners, 28 more than Nadal. Nadal strategy –attack the backhand over and over- did not bring the results he wanted in this tall two hand backhand swede player, and he did not offer a plan B. Finally, Nadal said he was outplayed on the day, something people here do not want to admit.

NamRanger
10-22-2009, 07:13 PM
How is it attacking players if we mention or analyze the matches played? I for one recognised that Federer played better that Nadal in Madrid.Even Nadal did. I don't however agree that it was a "turning point" or that Nadal got massively outplayed. Federer was just a bit better that day and tried some new tactics against a less then stellar Nadal who had played a tough match the day before. Deserved victory for Federer.

Soderling was red hot in RG and Nadal didn't bring his A-game in the whole RG campaign and he wasn't at his best physically entering this tournament. Most tennis comentators and observers(I can't imagine that they are all *******s) said that Nadal wasn't in the best form this RG. Credit to Soderling for not wiltering away but as I said before Davydenko would have taken Nadal out the way Rafa was playing in RG.

Analyzing a match doesn't take anything away from the victor nor does it give something(like an excuse) to the loser. It's my view on the match. Here's my view on another important,non-Nadal match,DelPo-Federer at USO. Federer was clearly dominating DelPo and then his brain fell asleep in the end of the second while he was firmly controlling play and allowed DelPo back in the match. Winning the second gave DelPo a lot of confidence and he started blasting Federer with balls on both sides. Even after Federer won the third the Argie was still kicking and in the end he proved too much for Federer. If Federer wouldn't have played around in the end of the third it is very likely that he would have won in 3 sets.

Did I just attack DelPotro?

LOL no. Davydenko would never beat Nadal, or any other marquee big name player in a GS barring a highly unlikely miracle.

namelessone
10-23-2009, 02:49 AM
@the pure one,Believe what you will. You don't bagel and breadstick one player one week and lose like that in 2-3 weeks especially when soderling followed the exact same strategy in both matches and played great in both of them. Nadal played short in RG and gave the initiative to soderling which forced him to play more short balls and so on. Basically most of the match was the swede teeing off Nadal's short ball from both sides. I believe Nadal had problems in RG and possibly in Madrid also because he withdrew from Queens and Wimbledon afterwards and that couldn't have come out of nothing.Unless you believe the theory that Nadal retired from the most important tournament in the world to have an excuse for losing in RG or because he was scared of losing again.

Nadal has tendinitis and according to his own statements he played with pain since MC. Nadal had played at least 3 clay tourneys in the previous years but he never did it with pain in his knees. If Nadal's statements are true he played with pain for one month,playing 3 consecutive tournaments,then he rested one week and instead of skipping Madrid to rest his knees for RG he went ahead and played it. He played one mother of a match with Djoker,which I think affected Nadal physically and Djoker mentally. Players can live with tendinitis but they need a playing style that gives them free points.Look at Roddick for an example,who also has tendinitis. Nadal on the other hand has almost no free points.

If I had to guess I think Madrid was the place when Nadal's tendinitis really flared up. It's no wonder he saw his doctor right after Madrid. Regardless of what the doc told him,it was clear he would play RG,no matter how he was feeling. He played mediocre tennis in the first three rounds,even losing an exo to nr.109 in the world before RG started.Nadal's problem cannot be solved with a trainer. Once the pain gets big enough you have to retire.Look at what happened in Paris-Bercy last year to Nadal. Nadal entered RG,his most succesful slam,not at his best physically and couldn't even make quarters. He learned from this and skipped wimbledon.Nadal screwed up his whole season by not knowing when to stop in the clay season. Nadal never had problems with tendinitis this early in the season before.

A healthy Nadal can be defeated by Soderling in 2 out of 3 on clay or by any other good opponent. It takes something really special to take Nadal out in a 3 out of 5 set match on clay. Even with Soderling playing the best match of his life and Nadal not being at his best the match was almost taken to 5 sets. That should tell you something about Nadal's level on clay. I mean,look,Nadal won 3 tourneys on clay playing with pain but let's face it,playing with pain for a long time will take it's toll and it's not like the 5th tournament played with pain is like the first especially with tendinitis,also known as OVERUSE. Once you have a flare-up,the only treatment is rest. If Nadal's flared up in Madrid or RG,do you really think he would have exited the tournament,in front of his home crowd or at his most successful slam? Nadal had 2 and a half weeks to cool down his knees for Wimbledon and still couldn't pull through. That should tell you something about how serious his condition was.

I am not taking credit away from Soderling. Soderling played scary good in both matches but my opinion(read:subjective) after seeing both matches is that Nadal's level dropped in RG,for whatever reasons,not that soderling was much better. The guy played very good in Rome also. No one improves that much in one month.

Why in the world nobody came forward -except *******s- and said that Nadal was going to lose the FO because they had noticed that Nadal was not moving “well”? Nobody, because giving his previous performances (including the Soderling match) he looked well.

Because no one believed it to be possible. The day Nadal went out in RG everybody was in shock. Nadal played mediocre tennis in the first three rounds,unlike previous years,but everyone though he would pull through like he always does in RG. I for one was not impressed with his level here at all,even before the sod match. And in theory Nadal didn't have a hard draw to the final: soderling(a guy who he beat 0 and 1 a few weeks ago),davydenko(a tougher match-up but do-able) and a potential gonzales/murray matchup(both of them are owned by Nadal on clay).

To me is simply wrong to compare previous matches and then try to draw logical conclusions from there. What if Soderling made the necessary adjustments to defeat Nadal? What if Del Potro made the necessary adjustments to defeat Federer?

I understand what you are saying. But seriously Soderling's tactics were not different. I wish I could say that and say that Nadal got outplayed with a brand new strategy but Soderling found it easier to tee off Nadal's short balls in RG than Nadal's deeper balls in Rome,and as I said before,even then Soderling played a very good match and the scoreline is deceiving.

To me Soderling came out with a clear game-plan and executed it to perfection right from the start, taking control of rallies early and dictating play with punishing forehands and backhands. He never faced a breakpoint in the 1st and 3rd set and finished the game with 61 winners, 28 more than Nadal. Nadal strategy –attack the backhand over and over- did not bring the results he wanted in this tall two hand backhand swede player, and he did not offer a plan B. Finally, Nadal said he was outplayed on the day, something people here do not want to admit.

Wrong. Nadal said that Soderling played better AND that he made it easy for him to play that way because he played short almost all the time. He also said he was surprised with his bad playing level that day. Nadal knows that it is tough to beat a tall guy with a 2-H BH even when playing deep balls but when you constantly drop balls short,you let the other guy dictate and then the point will either be a winner on his behalf or he will force you to play short many many times until you make a error because all he has to do is tee off on your shots. I have seen this scenario with Nadal on HC because Nadal loses control of the point on HC as soon as the point starts but never on clay because he is much better on clay and is actually aggresive on clay but you cannot be aggressive if your balls land around the service line.

The general consensus is that Nadal wasn't at his best in this year's RG. This is not just a view from Nadal fans. The fact that Nadal came into RG with pain in his knees,made easy errors on easy balls,lost an exo to nr.109 in the world,almost lost sets to a 31 year old on clay and had his worst result here should tell you that. It's not like he made quarters and semi's playing terrific tennis and got ousted by a guy playing even better tennis. He went through the first round playings average clay tennis and at the first in-form guy his lack of form(both physical and game-wise) showed itself.

What I just wrote is my honest to God view on Nadal's RG participation which was disappointing as a whole,not just the outcome of the sod match and I certainly don't want it to be viewed as an excuse for Nadal or as credit being taken away from soderling. Nadal's withdrawal from Wimbledon was even more disappointing because I had hoped he would get better for SW19 and defend his title but he couldn't recuperate fast enough.

I should learn to write shorter posts.:twisted:

drakulie
10-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Soderling was suffering from an injury whan he kicked Nadal's teeth in at the French.

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Soderling was suffering from an injury whan he kicked Nadal's teeth in at the French.

I totally agree; he played better at the USO I thought!

TMF
10-23-2009, 08:09 AM
LOL no. Davydenko would never beat Nadal, or any other marquee big name player in a GS barring a highly unlikely miracle.

Davy will never beat him at the slam? Unless you stickly saying the FO then it's possible he will never do it, but not on hard court. They never met at the GS on hardcourt, and we don't know the outcome would be like. However, Davy is 3-1 against him on hardcourt, and had beaten him the last 3 meetings. I think Davy is very condident he can beat Nadal, he even mentioned how well he match up with him after beating him in Shanghai.

I disagree with you on Davy would of beat Rafa in Paris this year. Davy was crushed by Soderling 6-1 6-3 6-1, while Nadal took Robin to a tight 4 sets. So there's no evidence to suggest Davy would of beat Nadal at the FO this year.

rafan
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Both Nadal and Federer had "something wrong" with them during these last couple of years. You don't suddenly change from being players of their greatness to losing matches the way the have been doing without a very plausible reason. Also I don't think it is anything to do with the new amazonian newcomers. There must come a time when their bodies have had enough of the constant battering. This leaves a great opportunity for the new guys on the block to get lucky. Nadal and Federer have provided great excitement on the tennis scene for a few years now and they both need time out to recharge their batteries.

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Davy will never beat him at the slam? Unless you stickly saying the FO then it's possible he will never do it, but not on hard court. They never met at the GS on hardcourt, and we don't know the outcome would be like. However, Davy is 3-1 against him on hardcourt, and had beaten him the last 3 meetings. I think Davy is very condident he can beat Nadal, he even mentioned how well he match up with him after beating him in Shanghai.

I disagree with you on Davy would of beat Rafa in Paris this year. Davy was crushed by Soderling 6-1 6-3 6-1, while Nadal took Robin to a tight 4 sets. So there's no evidence to suggest Davy would of beat Nadal at the FO this year.

No, Davydenko manages to find way to lose matches that he is COMPLETELY in control of. Good examples are :

1. Federer vs Davydenko AO 2006, Davydenko leads by a set, is up a break, totally dominating Federer in the baseline rallies, frustrating him with excellent corner to corner play, and proceeds to fold like a chair when the pressure is on (granted Federer managed to raise his level just abit, but Davydenko was in TOTAL command of this match).

2. Federer vs Davydenko FO 2007, Davydenko literally should have won EVERY set in this match, was leading in every set, was dominating Federer in the baseline rallies, and somehow STILL manages to choke and lose.

3. Davydenko vs. Nadal TMC 2006, Davydenko is TOTALLY blitzing Nadal, and Nadal just sticks around and Davydenko chokes, once AGAIN. Hello? Davydenko, this looks to be a common trend in Davydenko's career.

drakulie
10-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Both Nadal and Federer had "something wrong" with them during these last couple of years. You don't suddenly change from being players of their greatness to losing matches the way the have been doing without a very plausible reason.

Yeah, it's called,,,,,, "Other players catching up to you".

GasquetGOAT
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
He's not as bad as tommy haas, i assure you that haas chokes match points away down the drain from time to time.

This is a joke? No one comes close to Nalbandian in that regard! Nalby choked away USO 03 and FO 04, just to mention a couple...

TMF
10-23-2009, 09:36 AM
No, Davydenko manages to find way to lose matches that he is COMPLETELY in control of. Good examples are :

1. Federer vs Davydenko AO 2006, Davydenko leads by a set, is up a break, totally dominating Federer in the baseline rallies, frustrating him with excellent corner to corner play, and proceeds to fold like a chair when the pressure is on (granted Federer managed to raise his level just abit, but Davydenko was in TOTAL command of this match).

2. Federer vs Davydenko FO 2007, Davydenko literally should have won EVERY set in this match, was leading in every set, was dominating Federer in the baseline rallies, and somehow STILL manages to choke and lose.

3. Davydenko vs. Nadal TMC 2006, Davydenko is TOTALLY blitzing Nadal, and Nadal just sticks around and Davydenko chokes, once AGAIN. Hello? Davydenko, this looks to be a common trend in Davydenko's career.

Garbage. It doesn't matter who's leading early in a set, you play til whoever win 6 games first. There's no such thing as COMPLETE control when you lose in straight set at the FO.

I agree the AO was competitive, but playing a tie-breaker is pretty much a 50/50, which makes no sense to call someone choke if he can't pull it off. Roger's superior serve and overall a better player isn't a surprise for him to win those tie breakers.

Funny how you just pick one match in 2006 MC and left out the rest of their meetings. Davy doesn't choked when he can beat nadal 3 times at the MS. Hello? But thanks for proving my point....Davy proved he can beat rafa on hc.

For the record, Davy's OWN WORDS have stated that he matchup well with Nadal. He always has time to get into position for every ball. However, Federer's takes away his comfort....he plays a faster game which put Davy's out of position and take his timing away. The results are there for you to see!

rafan
10-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it's called,,,,,, "Other players catching up to you".

Yeah catching up for a couple of times and the disappearing down the ranks for some reason or another while the two at the top are still there even if they are only flying at half mast

NamRanger
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Garbage. It doesn't matter who's leading early in a set, you play til whoever win 6 games first. There's no such thing as COMPLETE control when you lose in straight set at the FO.

I agree the AO was competitive, but playing a tie-breaker is pretty much a 50/50, which makes no sense to call someone choke if he can't pull it off. Roger's superior serve and overall a better player isn't a surprise for him to win those tie breakers.

Funny how you just pick one match in 2006 MC and left out the rest of their meetings. Davy doesn't choked when he can beat nadal 3 times at the MS. Hello? But thanks for proving my point....Davy proved he can beat rafa on hc.

For the record, Davy's OWN WORDS have stated that he matchup well with Nadal. He always has time to get into position for every ball. However, Federer's takes away his comfort....he plays a faster game which put Davy's out of position and take his timing away. The results are there for you to see!

LOL, oh god. If you don't think the FO 2007 was a choke and that Davydenko actually should have won every damn set, you are a total *******. I'm sorry, any non-biased Federer fan knows that Davydenko should have at least won 2 out of those 3 sets, if not 3 out of 3.

Let me respond to the AO 2006. Davydenko was winning by a set and a break, and was leading the 4th set too IIRC. He should have won nearly every damn set in this match too.

rst
01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Nadal has been especially successful on clay courts. He has a 36–4 record in clay court tournament finals and a 67–1 record in best-of-five-set matches on clay.[3] He won four consecutive French Open titles from 2005–2008 and has won at least one of the three clay court Masters Series tournaments every year since 2005. He also owns the longest single-surface winning streak in the open era, having won 81 consecutive matches on clay from April 2005 to May 2007.[4] As a result, most tennis critics and top players already regard him as the greatest clay court player of all time.[5][6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Nadal_career_statistics

so he got beat at the fo in 2009?? does your poop not stink?

rst
01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
"It's easy to see problems where there aren't any when you're looking for them."

wrong.

kishnabe
01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
"It's easy to see problems where there aren't any when you're looking for them."

wrong.

Um this thread is 4 years old....why bring it up?

rst
01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Truth is that Nadal played the whole clay season with pain,won a few tournaments,didn't prepare his schedule so as to peak in RG and had the bad luck of meeting a red hot player while he wasn't in good form,both physical and form-wise.............

that might be the truth.

Goosehead
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
not this stale old box of farts again :confused::shock: