PDA

View Full Version : Of all the juniors in the USTA, what percentage of them are actually serious?

Hrandyrko
10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I'll be doing the USTA age 14 tournaments in a few weeks, maybe days.

How many of the kids who I will have matches with actually have intentions of going far with tennis? Are many of them there just for fun? Are there usually kids there who are thinking about their post match meal whilst serving?

cmb
10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
its only fun up until the national level. An expensive hobby.

Hrandyrko
10-15-2009, 05:55 PM
its only fun up until the national level. An expensive hobby.

Oh, so I guess I'll run into a lot of kids who are there just to play. Thanks Cmb.

scraps234
10-15-2009, 06:19 PM
but at sectionals depending on section many may actually be for real....

Hrandyrko
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Scraps234 =]

ClarkC
10-15-2009, 07:29 PM
At a 14 and under USTA tournament, 73.672% of the players are serious about going far with tennis.

eeytennis
10-16-2009, 08:27 AM
I'll be doing the USTA age 14 tournaments in a few weeks, maybe days.

How many of the kids who I will have matches with actually have intentions of going far with tennis? Are many of them there just for fun? Are there usually kids there who are thinking about their post match meal whilst serving?

Well everyone has to start somewhere, so you could be playing an L2 with serious players who just aren't that good yet. Usually by the time you get to the Closed Sectional and National levels most if not all of the players there have intentions of going really far, many even want to go pro (although that's not going to happen for most).

SoCal10s
10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
I see a lot of parents more serious for their kid's tennis than I see serious kids .. the parents are more driven for their kid's tennis,they spend all the time,effort,money,and tons more sacrifices more than the kid does.. all the kids just need to do tennis and a bit of conditioning .. parents has to plan for tournaments ,take you all to practice,make money,spend money for tennis,talk to all those involved and decide what's overall is good for the family as a whole and more..

stanfordtennis alum
10-16-2009, 10:26 AM
maybe 10%...

raiderhater
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
junior tennis shows some of the most spoiled kids in the world. most kids show little appreciation for the opportunities there coaches and parents offer them. i would advise parents with juniors interested in tennis to make them do all the planning, practicing, and even make money to help pay for travel. i think that if a junior shows that he is willing to do all this on his own this shows that he really wants to compete and play. this will then lead to more success in their tennis game overall

riponeverything
10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
until you reach the national level you wont know what serious is. at the level 1 events you got multiple kids not going to school so they can train more and kids trainging before and after school. we're talking tournaments on thanksgiving and easter. spending weeks at a time in areas for tournament.