PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather with strings

bjazzman
10-15-2009, 04:51 AM
from what i've been told, the cold weather can take a toll on the strings and tension on a racquet more than the frame itself.

as a guy who tends to leave things in his car, are there some strings out there that are less susceptible to temperature changes? which ones are they?

thanks

PED
10-15-2009, 05:59 AM
I think heat might take more of a toll than the cold but it would depend on where you live. If you live in the ******* or northeast, probably not a good idea to store your sticks in the car overnight :)

One important adjustment is to drop your tension a few pounds in the winter to account for the thicker conditions and help the ball cut through the court more. Plus it's easier on the arm.

LMW
10-15-2009, 08:56 AM
As someone who regularly plays in cold weather, I have found that Alpha Gut 2000 is the best string out there, playability wise, for those cold days on the court. Normally I use natural gut; however, it's not a good choice in the winter due do the cost and its inherent frailty in inclement weather.

Audiophile
10-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I definitely recommend against leaving racquets in a car or garage, summer or winter. The extreme changes in temperature and humidity can take a toll on the strings themselves, tension, and of course a frame. I don't of any strings that hold up to those extremes very well. Just my 2 cents.