PDA

View Full Version : To feel the lower trunk stretching - when ?

albesca
10-15-2009, 05:08 AM
When upper body rotate over the hips, depending on rotation degrees amount, the stretch is felt in the middle of the back, abs and obliquos and rotational elastic energy is loaded in abs body zone.

Question.
In which cases do I need to feel the lower trunk stretching ?

Thank you
Ciao
Alberto

LeeD
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Possibly the answer is you feel the stretch on the followthru of shots that you can put away for a winner, when you're hitting the ball really hard but closer to flat than topspin.
Most groundie rallies, I'd NOT want to but in more than 75% energy and effort, so you should not feel the twisting motion.

larry10s
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
alberto como va ? i feel a stretching in the lower trunk when turn to hit the forehand and similarly when i show my opponent my back in the take back phase of my one handed backhand. i dont feel it on volleys since i dont turn as much.

albesca
10-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Possibly the answer is you feel the stretch on the followthru of shots that you can put away for a winner, when you're hitting the ball really hard but closer to flat than topspin.
Most groundie rallies, I'd NOT want to but in more than 75% energy and effort, so you should not feel the twisting motion.

alberto como va ? i feel a stretching in the lower trunk when turn to hit the forehand and similarly when i show my opponent my back in the take back phase of my one handed backhand. i dont feel it on volleys since i dont turn as much.

Hi larry, Hi Leed. Larry.. why do you speack spanish ??? I'm Italian !! --> come va ? tutto bene, grazie !! :-)

Thank you guys , i'm referring at backswing. Ex. in forehand (expec. open stance) serve and overhead, the shoulders line rotates clockwise and hips line rotates un-clockwise or still in place. My question is ...
Have we to force this lines separation angle until we feel the low torso stretches ? In which cases is it so and under what others doesn't ?

Ciao
Alberto

larry10s
10-16-2009, 03:50 AM
alberto comE va? maggiore? hope thats more like it .:)

larry10s
10-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Thank you guys , i'm referring at backswing. Ex. in forehand (expec. open stance) serve and overhead, the shoulders line rotates clockwise and hips line rotates un-clockwise or still in place. My question is ...
Have we to force this lines separation angle until we feel the low torso stretches ? In which cases is it so and under what others doesn't ?

Ciao
Alberto

i dont think you should ever "force" a position. it should happen as a natural occurence of getting into the correct position .then you will "feel" it.for learning the positions i guess you could over rotate to feel the stretch in those areas but i dont think its necessary. just my opinion. alberto what is the reason you have focused on this ?

albesca
10-16-2009, 09:27 AM
alberto comE va? maggiore? hope thats more like it .:)
..not so much !!! :) ...not "maggiore" ( more) ...but "meglio" (better) ,
but don't worry ... my english isn't so "meglio" !! :)

I've done a drill at baseline against 2 players at net, i had to hit playable passing shots, one at right and one at left.
I hadn't time to tranfer the weight and the only way i found to produce power was to screw and unscrew my trunk over the hips..both in fh and bh.
Then, if i'm able to use this energy in that case, why not to use it every time i can ? Do i improve my forehand and serve power adding this energy to the tranfer weight energy (supposing i'm able to do ... :cry:), instead to rotate the shoulders gently ??

In few words, is it a good or a bad thing to screw the trunk at its stretch limit or so to produce power ?

Ciao
Alberto

tricky
10-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Initially, you want to work on a visualization during the unit turn. For example, when you practice, visualize that the ball is made of concrete or something heavy. This visualization usually leads to the lower torso (either the lower back or abdominal area) to stretch or turn around the hips. This is because you're telling your brain that your trunk needs a lot of power to contest a heavy ball. Your brain in turn will increase torso rotation by stretching the muscles associated with hip rotation.

You'll want to work on the footwork, looking at the outside foot and making sure your torso rotates into the line of shot. This is the only way to consistently have the above through majority of shot situations. You can verify this by limiting or eliminating the takeback and verifying whether your contact point remains the same.

larry10s
10-16-2009, 04:49 PM

In few words, is it a good or a bad thing to screw the trunk at its stretch limit or so to produce power ?

Ciao
Alberto

alberto its a good thing. you will hit the ball "meglio":)

larry10s
10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
the extra torque in the core produces more power.

albesca
10-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Initially, you want to work on a visualization during the unit turn. For example, when you practice, visualize that the ball is made of concrete or something heavy. This visualization usually leads to the lower torso (either the lower back or abdominal area) to stretch or turn around the hips. This is because you're telling your brain that your trunk needs a lot of power to contest a heavy ball. Your brain in turn will increase torso rotation by stretching the muscles associated with hip rotation.

interesting tip, thank you.

You'll want to work on the footwork, looking at the outside foot and making sure your torso rotates into the line of shot. This is the only way to consistently have the above through majority of shot situations. You can verify this by limiting or eliminating the takeback and verifying whether your contact point remains the same.

yes, i've noticed what you are said expecially during a fh crosscourt to crosscourt rally ... i search the line on the ground with my back foot and rotate the torso over the back leg ... then rotate to the opposite direction and swing, moving the body ahead along the shot line .
But if my shot wants to change the incoming direction, i have two lines to manage ... and i'm in trouble.. i have to work on it.

the extra torque in the core produces more power.

good ! i will do it !!

alberto its a good thing. you will hit the ball "meglio":)
Congratulation ... you are improving your italian very quickly !!:)

Thank you Larry and Tricky

tricky
10-17-2009, 12:14 AM
yes, i've noticed what you are said expecially during a fh crosscourt to crosscourt rally ... i search the line on the ground with my back foot and rotate the torso over the back leg ... then rotate to the opposite direction and swing, moving the body ahead along the shot line .
But if my shot wants to change the incoming direction, i have two lines to manage ... and i'm in trouble.. i have to work on it.

Ideally, your unit turn sets this up for you.

1) When you set up the outside or loading foot, in a perfect world the foot would be square to the incoming ball. (Rarely so in real life, but the right footwork patterns get you in the ballpark.)

2) As finish setting up your unit turn, the non-hitting arm helps to set up the direction of your line of shot. If step one is executed correctly, then when you initiate the forward swing, your torso will rotate and move into the line of shot that you set up.

Again, all is set up by the end of unit turn.

albesca
10-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Ideally, your unit turn sets this up for you.

1) When you set up the outside or loading foot, in a perfect world the foot would be square to the incoming ball. (Rarely so in real life, but the right footwork patterns get you in the ballpark.)

2) As finish setting up your unit turn, the non-hitting arm helps to set up the direction of your line of shot. If step one is executed correctly, then when you initiate the forward swing, your torso will rotate and move into the line of shot that you set up.

Again, all is set up by the end of unit turn.

Do you link me some good video about ?
Here Andy using a wide separation angle in forehand ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZzU-VvQQk

Here a coach trying to explain , music at high volume and an echo on the voice as Pope Benedict in Vatican City on Sunday .... who Does he thinks he is ??? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HZDuBvWoHM

Ciao
Alberto