PDA

View Full Version : Safin's loss to Berdych

coolhandluke
10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
when Safin lost to Berdych he didn't shake his hand. Did i miss something during the match. do they have a past between them? That is very unlike Safin. :shock:

MarrratSafin
10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh he said afterwards he was sure Berdych faked injury in the middle of the match when he took a long timeout to get his knees done. And Marat's got a point too, Berdych looked as normal as ever as the match went on.:evil:

ac3111
10-15-2009, 01:48 PM
If Berdych really faked it then he is just a disgrace to do that against a player like Safin, former no 1, 2 grandslams winner who announced he is retiring in the end of the season.
He is just too short to be a professional athlete...

viktorkwan
10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Marat Safin, after losing to an apparently injured Tomas Berdych in Shanghai: "Just come on, just grow up a little bit -- 26 years old, just deal with that. If you're losing, just be a man, be a man and lose as a man.

"Don't pretend that you are injured and then you start running around and start to hit winners and then all of a sudden you pull the hands up in the air after winning the match?

"Of course he will find 10,000 excuses. Still, it's not enough. You're playing or you're not playing. If you're playing, so just shut...up and play."

mikro112
10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Does anyone have a video of the "handshake" or lack thereof? Thanks!

coolhandluke
10-15-2009, 03:05 PM
thanks alot because Safin has always been a gentleman whether he wins or loses. That really was not like him!

ac3111
10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have a video of the "handshake" or lack thereof? Thanks!

There was no handshake...
3rd set of the match is on t3nnis.tv...

jamesblakefan#1
10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Berdych from what I saw wasn't faking...just Marat being a sore sport, IMO. Marat used horrible tactics in that match, didn't take advantage of weakened Berdych.

mikro112
10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
There was no handshake...
3rd set of the match is on t3nnis.tv...

Well, I should have checked there first! lol

I kind of knew it was you, because of the avatar. :D

ac3111
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I should have chosen a different avatar...after all most of the times I send the ball out...ahahah

BlakeGOAT
10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
And Marat's got a point too, Berdych looked as normal as ever as the match went on.:evil:

True. Berdych didn't seem injured so he might have been faking.

Bloodshed
10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
True. Berdych didn't seem injured so he might have been faking.

JamesBlakefan#1 is that you? :):):)

Haha just teasing :twisted:

grafselesfan
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
A poster named BlakeGOAT. Next thing you know there will be a poster calling themselves BartoliGOAT or ChakvetadzeGOAT. Then again those wouldnt be quite as crazy as both women have made more slam semis than Blake. :)

jamesblakefan#1
10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
A poster named BlakeGOAT. Next thing you know there will be a poster calling themselves BartoliGOAT or ChakvetadzeGOAT. Then again those wouldnt be quite as crazy as both women have made more slam semis than Blake.

I'm sorry, drakulie has already taken your spot as the #1 fan in the jamesblakefan#1 fan club. Try harder next time, and maybe you'll get your spot back. ;)

JamesBlakefan#1 is that you? :)

Haha just teasing

I don't know who this BlakeGOAT poster is, but from what I read he seems like a knowledgeable and intelligent poster, one of the best in the history of Talk Tennis. ;)

:lol:

Bloodshed
10-15-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry, drakulie has already taken your spot as the #1 fan in the jamesblakefan#1 fan club. Try harder next time, and maybe you'll get your spot back. ;)

I don't know who this BlakeGOAT poster is, but from what I read he seems like a knowledgeable and intelligent poster, one of the best in the history of Talk Tennis. ;)

:lol:

Hmm those words of wisdom from that knowledgable poster always makes me laugh :D

Perhaps it's gj011 that decided he had enough being banned due to several accounts he created and you've always spotted him at multiple threads that he decided to make peace with you hihi

Bloodshed
10-15-2009, 11:42 PM
A poster named BlakeGOAT. Next thing you know there will be a poster calling themselves BartoliGOAT or ChakvetadzeGOAT. Then again those wouldnt be quite as crazy as both women have made more slam semis than Blake. :)

Well if I want to please that poster Tanya, maybe I should create another account like VaidisovaGOAT.

Or for Topaz, I should create Jankovic>D1ATPPlayer :)

OJ ROD
10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
StepanekGOAT-P.I.M.P!!!!

http://givemeanamepls.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/radek.jpg

mandy01
10-16-2009, 06:38 AM
when Safin lost to Berdych he didn't shake his hand. Did i miss something during the match. do they have a past between them? That is very unlike Safin. :shock:

He was just calling out on BS time-wasting tactics...*ahem* quite a few players use it quite often to come back looking as good as ever.

stanfordtennis alum
10-16-2009, 10:12 AM
StepanekGOAT-P.I.M.P!!!!

http://givemeanamepls.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/radek.jpg

haha... good one

antoaneta71
10-17-2009, 01:31 PM
copy from another forum
I rarely get the time to post, but this whole situation with the berdych match was so interesting to me...from the first point, until the very last point of the match & beyond. I wanted to wait a few days to see what would be in the press, on a tv replay or from any other source. There were many things "odd" over the course of the match...especially what was overheard (picked up by the microphones.) I have a subscription to TennisTv, and during this particular match, I did something I do not normally do. Because of the early morning hour, I plugged in a headset so as to not wake anyone . God, did this add to all the drama...only I did not know from minute to minute how "bad" things were going to get. Some of what Saf utterred in Russian & English were, ah...typical. Some I thought was not. All I kept thinking (especially after seeing the entire after-match ceremony & hearing Marat off-mic,) was that if this would aired on regular tv, you would not have heard any of this due to commentators, and / or censoring. I'll skip to aspect which I know Marat was able to hear, and I believe fueled his fire on the "injury time-out." Please anyone, let me know if you heard all of this. Keep in mind that Lars Graff is one of the ITF's most repected chair umps. He in my opinionn is very fair, and yes, over the years has been a little forgiving of Marat's behaviour (he did however give M a "ball abuse" warning, and a few other comments.) I can't remember his name, but keep also in mind that the particualr ATP trainer who came out, has been with the tour for ages, and also has seen alot. Okay, straight to the point. Apparently, the trainer, Graf AND the tourney referee ALL had questions in their minds from the very first medical assessment, as to what was "real." There were a number of "exchanges" or comments made between Graf & the tourney ref. In all, you could clearly tell that there was an issue, and they had their doubts. At one point, Lars had turned to Safin & quietly and qucikly said..."it's okay. we are looking." Just a nod from Safin. At the completeion of the second set, Lars asked for his "walkie" and got the tourney ref. This is when my mouth dropped. He was speaking low, and I know if you had been sitting where Marat was, you could hear both sides of the conversation....Lars had his head turned towards Marat...presumably to not let TB hear...don't think it was for Marat to hear on purpose. Basically, Lars gave Ump his opinion, and Ump agreed. For lack of direct quote, basically in this final radio exchange, the two men seemed to agree on the same thing from each of their viewing perspective. Lars "whispered" that after watching the play over the course of the first two sets he was amazed by the lack of any mobility issues with TB. He detailed his observations & conclusion, and the response he got over his "walkie" was the same. The tourney Ref, said he came to the same conclusion as he watched play via monitor. He said a few words which I could not make out at first, but when Lars replied, it was to verify that both would continue to watch "carefully" for any other "signals" of abuse.

Just my opinion but, in all my years, I had never witnessed anything even close to this...I wondered if anyone had even realised that this was coming over the feed...I wondered if I would've even noticed any of this had I not had headphones on. As the match was nearing it's close, I had thought it interesting Marat's facial expressions...the smirks or grins if you will. They were "different." The slight smile with the direct staredowns made me wonder.......until everything was all over. I then could better imagine what the facial expressions were about. I think he wasn't just assuming the entire match that TB was "faking." I think what really amped it up was that he knew it was all being questioned by the officials too, and thus it was most likely frustrating for all...plus the fact that Safin himself made his all too regular silly mistakes, and the periods of "oh I give up," that usually lead to his poor meltdowns. I had really felt bad, and once again thought, if only he had employed a coach this season...someone who might have signalled him to be calmer & focus..just play his game. well, that's all I have. To me, this and much more over the course of the match explained a lot. (had to admit...I did laugh when Marat yelled across the court.."hey thomas, your leg doesn't hurt anymore, eh? you running around so well!"
I khow that Safin knows very often to implode ,but I don't know player who would remain calm if this is going in front of his sight