PDA

View Full Version : Tsonga

JeMar
10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Jo Willy Tsonga is, by far, the third most overrated player on this forum. He will soon take over the second place spot when Safin retires and Nalbandian moves up to number one.

There. I said it.

People keep referencing to two matches that he's played in which he played great. But the fact remains that he hasn't done anything anywhere since then, except for a few small tournaments here and there. The guy's got talent, yes, but it has shown itself to be largely a waste.

jamesblakefan#1
10-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Didn't he just win a title in Tokyo?

I don't think he's overrated, he's rated correctly - very talented, but also inconsistent, but also one of the few guys capable of taking down the big guys on hard courts (though the Fed win was a fluke in Canada).

Bloodshed
10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Didn't he just win a title in Tokyo?

I don't think he's overrated, he's rated correctly - very talented, but also inconsistent, but also one of the few guys capable of taking down the big guys on hard courts (though the Fed win was a fluke in Canada).

I do agree with the Fed win being a fluke. However he did won vs Djokovic 4 times in a row I believe until their horrible match @ Miami (Djokovic had no legs left and Tsonga somehow decided to give up mentally as well. That was a bad match)

Tsonga when he's in a zone, he's very special to watch. But when he's mentally out, it's very painful to watch :(

David L
10-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Jo Willy Tsonga is, by far, the third most overrated player on this forum. He will soon take over the second place spot when Safin retires and Nalbandian moves up to number one.

There. I said it.

People keep referencing to two matches that he's played in which he played great. But the fact remains that he hasn't done anything anywhere since then, except for a few small tournaments here and there. The guy's got talent, yes, but it has shown itself to be largely a waste.
He's not overrated. He's an excellent player, he's just not the only excellent player on tour. There are many of them.

Conquistador
10-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I disagree. I think Monfils is the most overrated player on these boards. I dont see any type of "wanting to be number 1" from Monfils.. He is a flashy player but mishits the ball a lot. He misses a lot of balls wide. I see Jo Wil having a better career than that of fellow countryman Monfils.

Karlovic's Sunglasses
10-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Everyone ignores him. His tennis playing is by far phenomenal. If you've ever seen him practice, you'll say: Oh My God.

Bloodshed
10-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I disagree. I think Monfils is the most overrated player on these boards. I dont see any type of "wanting to be number 1" from Monfils.. He is a flashy player but mishits the ball a lot. He misses a lot of balls wide. I see Jo Wil having a better career than that of fellow countryman Monfils.

Monfils is a very frustrating player to watch because he goes into a pusher mode when he can be an offensive player (like Murray in a way).

Also Tsonga will accomplish more than Monfils that's a guarantee. While both players are known to be headcases, Tsonga is less of a headcase than Monfils.

Not to mention, Monfils never showed anything significant in a MS event nor went deep in a GS (with the sole exception of RG). Tsonga is still a Top 10 Player where Monfils recently left out of the Top 10.

So yeah it's pretty obvious Tsonga will have a better career than Monfils.

Conquistador
10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Monfils is a very frustrating player to watch because he goes into a pusher mode when he can be an offensive player (like Murray in a way).

Also Tsonga will accomplish more than Monfils that's a guarantee. While both players are known to be headcases, Tsonga is less of a headcase than Monfils.

Not to mention, Monfils never showed anything significant in a MS event nor went deep in a GS (with the sole exception of RG). Tsonga is still a Top 10 Player where Monfils recently left out of the Top 10.

So yeah it's pretty obvious Tsonga will have a better career than Monfils.

I agree with you. It is difficult to watch Monfils play. Its like he doesnt give it his all. He has the physical abilities of Nadal, but he doesnt have the fight. He cant raise the bar to a higher level like a Tiger Woods. Its something you have or you dont. Monfils doesnt.

Cody
10-15-2009, 04:09 PM
He is an awesome player when he gets it together, but i watched him yesterday...... he was very poor mentally.

His match v nadal AO he played a sick serve and volley/all court game that just crushed nadal. :)

President
10-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Overrated in what way? He clearly deserves his ranking; he earned those points.

If you mean overrated by fans, then I can kind of understand. Tsonga's A game is on par with any of the top 5, but he rarely brings it. Regardless, he is a very exciting player to watch when he's on.

Who do you feel he is overrated compared to? He is #7 in the world, so there can only be 6 people who are truly better than him. I don't think many people on this forum think he is a better player consistently than the top 6. You can't deny that his peak level is phenomenal though.

SuperFly
10-15-2009, 04:48 PM
..... ok then, here's a picture of Shaq holding a panda.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/65/9cyPFQbgCqat0cxvzLmqxTRMo1_500.jpg (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4265)

Douggo
10-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Love the XXXXXXXXL surgical gown.

crawl4
10-15-2009, 09:31 PM

I agree Monfils is very overrated but part of that comes from his success as a junior and people expecting big things from him.

jamesblakefan#1
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM

I think Fernano Gonzalez is the most overrated player on these boards. Just look at that egg he laid vs Nadal at the USO. :lol:

World Beater
10-15-2009, 09:43 PM
what do u mean overrated?

i think you mean his talent is overrated. "am i rite?"

but then again, i dont think ppl expect tsonga to start winning slams right and left.

TheTruth
10-16-2009, 02:06 AM
I agree with you. It is difficult to watch Monfils play. Its like he doesnt give it his all. He has the physical abilities of Nadal, but he doesnt have the fight. He cant raise the bar to a higher level like a Tiger Woods. Its something you have or you dont. Monfils doesnt.

He drives me crazy!

abmk
10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
He needs to improve his consistency and become more mentally stronger. When on, he's easily one of the best, if not the best, to watch, today . I expected him to make 1 slam semi this year , which he couldn't :(