PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I can play in college?

Falloutjr
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Okay I'm a senior in high school, and I'm from northeast Ohio and I'm looking for a school in the Northwest region to play tennis at (Ohio, Pennsilvania, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky) to play collegiate tennis. I'm a solid 4.0-4.5 player I have a pretty big, flat serve (around 100-110), a solid forehand topspin and slice forehand (the flat shots are alright, but not as good as my topspins and slices), and a solid one-hand backhand (can hit slice, flat, and topspin all about the same). I'm great at playing cross court and playing defensively and I have great reaction time, good at playing offensively from the baseline and good with my footwork, average hitting down the line, but I'm an average volleyer at best and struggle sometimes against the serve-and-volley.

My first serve percentage is shaky (usually around 35-40%) and my second serves are very consistent with lots of spin but fairly easy to attack (they're right around 60 mph), though I think a lot of my weaknesses could be fixed with some quality coaching (my coach never really taught me how to play, I did a lot of the research on how to play myself and I learned from hitting) and I'm a little inconsistent returning big serves. But I'm not sure if my defensive/spin reliant tactics would be very effective at the college level? I'd like some input before I go about having myself recruited. I'm personally looking into DII schools or DI schools with club programs so if I don't initially make a team I can get better and make it as a walk-on later on as a sophomore or something like that. I'm not really looking for a scholarship I just wanna play college tennis somewhere. I practice on a very regular basis (about 3-4 hours a day) so I'll be steadily improving. But like I said, some feedback would be nice =] thank you all for your time.

Falloutjr
10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I forgot to mention that I don't play many tournaments in my area I didn't really know recruitment was so heavily based on rankings (again, my coach does nothing xP doesn't tell us how to get into college or anything), though I'm considering entering a few USTA tournaments over the next couple months for the sake of recruitment. I'll also be making a video of myself playing and hitting, though this may not happen for another month or so.

Serves: 7.5/10 (Very hard serves, but again, shaky consistency)

Forehand: 7/10 (Forehands are good in general, especially slices and topspins)
Slice: 8/10
Topspin: 7/10
Flat: 6/10

Backhand: 6.5/10 (Not as good as my forehand, but still dependable)
Slice: 7/10
Topspin: 6/10
Flat: 7/10

Volleys: 5/10 (My biggest weak point, I work on volleying but it's coming along slowly, I can put the ball in play but rarely hit winning volleys [except for smashes, which are another weakness in my game])

Consistency: 7/10
Power: 5/10
Smashing: 3/10

Falloutjr
10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Lol another addition to my post [I can't figure out how to edit] My serves are closer to 110-115, not 100-110 like I originally posted.

Venetian
10-15-2009, 08:13 PM
What position do you play on your team and what is your record?

ClarkC
10-15-2009, 08:21 PM
This thread again? Same advice as usual. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3897153&postcount=6)

Falloutjr
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
What position do you play on your team and what is your record?

I alternate between first and second singles. I would probably play first full-time but there's a sophomore on our team that the coach is so high on, he's breeding him to replace me so we share time. In things like city championships, sectionals, I'll be playing first though. Last year I missed a lot of time because of miscellaneous injuries, I was 0-1 in singles and 1-1 in doubles. Missed city championships and sectionals :(

Venetian
10-16-2009, 06:08 AM
So, first off, why do you think you're a 4.0 or 4.5? You've never played a single USTA match and you've barely played any high school tennis? You need to realistically evaluate your skill level. To be excepted into a lot of tennis programs you need to have a solid high school record and/or some tournament experience. There are plenty of schools you could try to walk-on for, or you could try club tennis or intramurals, but you really need to watch or play against a variety of levels of players to gauge your abilities.

EDIT: I played 1 singles for my school too, and I completely sucked. Playing high on your roster only means something if your school is a powerhouse in tennis, or if you are doing great individually.

eagle
10-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Lol another addition to my post [I can't figure out how to edit] My serves are closer to 110-115, not 100-110 like I originally posted.

We all try to be supportive and encourage fellow members to do their best and get better in our beloved sport.

We also try to inject some reality in assessing other folks' potential.

Would you mind posting a vid of one of your matches (not practice but actual match)?

r,
eagle

Falloutjr
10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
We all try to be supportive and encourage fellow members to do their best and get better in our beloved sport.

We also try to inject some reality in assessing other folks' potential.

Would you mind posting a vid of one of your matches (not practice but actual match)?

r,
eagle

I actually don't have any of any current matches, but I'm working on padding my USTA schedule and I'll film some of my matches and bring it here.

Venetian
10-16-2009, 09:08 AM
That's a good step. Colleges look for results, so you have to get matches in to have proof of your abilities. Failing that, you'll have to try to walk on.

Falloutjr
10-16-2009, 06:47 PM
That's what I'm doing now, recruiting myself to walk on. Honestly, the money isn't such a big deal to me. I just wanna play the highest level of tennis that I can so I'm gonna do tournaments and whatnot, but I'm keeping ALL my options open; workouts with both club teams and coaches in D1 through D3 and everything. I've probably doubled my contacts list in my phone in the last couple weeks xP so yeah, I'm putting the work in to get my name out there and we'll see what happens.

Falloutjr
10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Okay guys so I'm talkin to a D2 coach and he's interested in me you guys have any advice for me?

mcutilize
10-16-2009, 07:54 PM
you can't be a 4.0 or above with a 35% first serve. and if u never played usta why would a d2 coach be interested

Falloutjr
10-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I know, I only made note of my spot because someone else asked about it. As for the USTA, I just finished registrating for the Canton Open and a lot of the best players in the area (quite a few from schools in my city) will be competing so that should be fun, seeing some familiar faces :P

dantesinferno18
10-18-2009, 07:41 PM
you can't be a 4.0 or above with a 35% first serve. and if u never played usta why would a d2 coach be interested

im not trying to jack this thread or anything but im just wondering if you got that dunlop package yet? if so how do ya like it?

Thunderbrat
10-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I applaud your proactive approach to getting into college tennis. There are lots of ability levels in college even from one D2 school to the next. Your best bet is to contact a coach or player at a given school and ask for a hit or even a match. That will really let you know where you stand.

In high school I played #1 singles for three years and was ranked as high as #2 in the state. (Unfortunately the state was North Dakota.)

I played #1 at a small D2 school in ND and did pretty well.

I then transfered and walked on at Kansas (back when they had a mens team) but quit after a month or so because they had about 15 foreign guys and a kid from Tennessee all of whom could whip my butt with little effort.

The point is that there are many levels of ability in college so your best bet is to go play someone on the team where you want to go before you make a major decision and regret it. Remember that the quality of your education will affect the rest of your life but that fact that you weren't at the US Open juniors this year means your forehand probably won't.

P.S.---I did steal the guy from Tenessee's girlfriend!

Falloutjr
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I applaud your proactive approach to getting into college tennis. There are lots of ability levels in college even from one D2 school to the next. Your best bet is to contact a coach or player at a given school and ask for a hit or even a match. That will really let you know where you stand.

In high school I played #1 singles for three years and was ranked as high as #2 in the state. (Unfortunately the state was North Dakota.)

I played #1 at a small D2 school in ND and did pretty well.

I then transfered and walked on at Kansas (back when they had a mens team) but quit after a month or so because they had about 15 foreign guys and a kid from Tennessee all of whom could whip my butt with little effort.

The point is that there are many levels of ability in college so your best bet is to go play someone on the team where you want to go before you make a major decision and regret it. Remember that the quality of your education will affect the rest of your life but that fact that you weren't at the US Open juniors this year means your forehand probably won't.

P.S.---I did steal the guy from Tenessee's girlfriend!

Well that's motivation enough to beat you in tennis...and in general ;D and to be quite honest, all the coaches I've contacted are NAIA so I really shouldn't have any problems I could probably play top 3-4 singles as a freshman. I actually have a meeting with a coach tomorrow which I'm actually a little nervous about. I really like this one school and the way the coach is talking, I can tell it's not a top-tier team so I'm thinking I may go there and redshirt since they're moving up to D2 in a couple years so I can have 1 year of practice to get my skills up, one year in NAIA to improve my match play ability and I can play the rest of my career in upper singles spots in D2. Also, the coach is a former D1 player and ATP/WTA coach so I think it's perfect for me. As long as I go up there and hit decently I should have a spot there.

I think my biggest problem isn't anything physical or skills wise it's mental. When my confidence is up I can hit serve %s in the 60s-70s and I can make just about any shot I want, but when I'm down, I mentally start to check out, not like I quit but my serve %s take a nose dive, my slice backhands start to lose depth and sometimes even land in the service area or generally just aren't so effective and I just start trying too hard so I don't know exactly how to rectify that, especially since I've had a less than quality week of practice leading up to now, ya know?

Matt H.
10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
college tennis is the best of the best amongst high school players.

Being #2 on your high school tennis means absolutely nothing, because depending on the area and quality of competition a lot of #1's aren't even good enough to make D1 or D2 schools.

BajeDuane
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
To answer your question, yes you can play in college. The question is will you play D1, D2, or D3. Without results, a college coach will definitely need to see you play or a video of you playing.

Falloutjr
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Well there are a few D3 schools interested in me. There's a coach that's D3 but his school is moving to D2 in a couple years, he wants me to come back for another workout and a D3 coach who invited me to his team's tryouts so I think I'll be playing in college; just a matter of where now. Unfortunately, I don't have 400 somethin dollars a month to spend on tournaments :/ but I've done well in my personal workouts so I think I'll be fine.