PDA

View Full Version : Masters series

Agassifan
10-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Let's get this straight. Nobody really cares about masters series. Seriously, Nadal would trade his 15 for like one slam (even if USO isn't offered). So would fed. Sure, it is a great way to earn ranking points and we get some good matchups but come on.... There is way too much hype on these boards.

JeMar
10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
They're not as important as the slams, but they are kind of important.

The field is usually very strong, you're seeded to play top 30 players from the second round on, you play back-to-back days. I do agree that they're not as prestigious as they were back when the finals were best-of-five, but they're also not as pedestrian as you're making them sound.

Agassifan
10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I am not saying they aren't prestigious, just that people are quoting "Number of Masters shields" to be a significant record. And I am an Agassi fan. These days, they're just seen as opportunities to grab points and as tune ups. Having some of these back to back doesn't help either.

JeMar
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
It would help if they made the finals best-of-five sets again. This two-out-of-three set thing is kind of a bummer.

MajinX
10-15-2009, 08:18 PM
well obvs anyone would rather have a slam than a masters shield, but it doesnt make it unimportant. Its alot of money and points ur winning, not every tennis player out there is looking to break the record for slams, some want as many titles as possible some want to prize money, some just want to be able to play on the same field as the top guys and win.

crawl4
10-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Of course Nadal would trade his masters for slams but they are still really significant particularly in this age where only 2 people have dominated the slams. Winning the next best thing for a player would be pretty good in my book :)

Agassifan
10-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Of course Nadal would trade his masters for slams but they are still really significant particularly in this age where only 2 people have dominated the slams. Winning the next best thing for a player would be pretty good in my book :)

thats a good way to look at it...