PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Been To The US Open

CivicLx
04-13-2005, 09:20 AM
My dad and I might be going to the US Open this year, depending on my school schedule, and I was just wondering if anyone has been there. If so, what days did you go and what kind of tickets did you get? I'll have more questions later, but in the meantime, if you have been there, please feel free to share your experiences there :)

tennisnj
04-13-2005, 09:46 AM
The best days to go are the first Thursday & Friday, b/c by then the doubles draws usually start, so you're getting even more tennis, & Labor Day as well. Stay away from night sessions, you only see 2 matches & they're usually blowouts until the start of the 2nd week. Buy general admission tickets (grounds passes) b/c the matches in Ashe Stadium are again blowouts & your seats will always be in the nosebleeds. It's not worth it to go in there early on unless you want to spread out & eat your lunch or chat on your cellphone.

JackD
04-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I'd say go first week with a general grounds pass. You can get really close to lots of different matches...its like watching a match on regualr public courts. You won't get to see a few of the top seeds on Ashe but as pointed out week one usually is just blowouts on Ashe. If you are there for the second week and can get night tickets than go for it because you should be seeing a good match. Have fun...

saeta119
04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
go on a friday or saturday (first week) buy tickets in advance, get there early, you are allowed to bring in water nothing else, bring a backpack for all the stuff you'll end up getting or buying and be ready for some crazy tennis action! booyahh

Geezer Guy
04-13-2005, 10:51 AM
My wife and I went to the 2004 US Open and had a BLAST (even though she doesn't play). We went Labor Day (which is always the 2nd Monday), Tuesday, and Wednesday. We did some sightseeing on Thursday and Friday morning, and left Friday afternoon. With a simple Grounds Pass you can go EVERYWHERE except for Ashe Stadium. Get a schedule every day so you know when and where everyone is playing, then set up your own personal schedule to see whatever matches you want. Walk around - don't just stay in one spot. And, be sure you take in EVERYTHING. See some kids matches, see some wheelchair matches, see some of the old timer matches (will depend on when you're there).

If you have money to burn, get tickets to Ashe Stadium. If not, enjoy everything else live, and watch the Ashe matches on the Big Screens around the Food Court.

We went with Steve Furgals Tennis Tours (tours4tennis.com) and they did a great job taking care of us - but if you don't mind doing New York on your own that's OK too.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd do everything the same, EXCEPT I wouldn't buy tickets to the matches in Louis Armstrong Stadium. (You can PAY for seats right next to the court at Louis Armstrong, but you can sit about 20 feet away from the court for FREE.)

We had tickets to Ashe Stadium every day (sometimes up high, sometimes down low, once in a luxury box). We enjoyed watching the big names play in Ashe Stadium, but we also enjoyed the lesser names fighting it out on the outer courts.

You'll have a ball!

(And let me say, the FOOD in NY is SOOOO good!)

hummer23
04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
lsat year i went middle saturday, and for the final. 8th row mens final tickets were awsome, but grounds passes on middle saturday was great too. you could see a lot of matches and players practicing, get autographs, be sure to get there before they get sold out however.

acedu
04-13-2005, 04:37 PM
I go 6 days a year. It helps that i live pretty close.

Z-Man
04-14-2005, 06:39 PM
I agree with others that you'll see more tennis earlier in the tournament. When all of the courts are busy, the crowd gets stretched out, so it's easier to get closer--plus it's fun to move around. Unless you pay big bucks, you'll be on the upper deck of the big stadium anyway. If you follow tennis, you won't mind watching top 50 players instead of the top 5. I had more fun watching Younes El Aynaoui up close on Grandstand than I did seeing Roddick as a tiny speck on Ashe. It's a blast...

matchpoints
04-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Good thread. I'm thinking about going as well.

tennisToad
04-19-2005, 09:05 AM
God don't waste money on Ashe tickets. go on the first week wed-sun, Get grounds passes only. The tennis on the grounds is fantastic and you are only like 7 feet away from the action. I swear in the first week you can watch the 10th ranked player in the world from 10 feet away. If you don't care about who the usta is trying to hype up this year the outside courts are the best. Man I could tell you like a million things my wife and I have figured out. But I'm saving em for the "How to spend a day at the open for free" book.

When you see the spin, power, and speed up close you never want to sit in the stadiums again.

Plus it is so much fun to be hanging around the outside courts you never know who you'll be standing or sitting next to.!!!!

tennisnj
04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I'll second tennisToad's notion, don't waste your $ on Ashe tickets. Yes, Wed-Sunday the 1st week is the best time to go, BUT, if you're in the area earlier, about 5 days b4 when the actual Main Draw starts, you can peruse the grounds of the Open for free during official Qualifying sessions & see struggling pros, up-and-coming juniors & others try to work their way into the main draw.

tennisphotog
04-27-2005, 05:58 AM
I concur with earlier sentiments, go early, i.e. first week, preferably weekdays. don't waste mony on Ashe stadium or night sessions. Eat a big breakfast before you go so you are not out $50 on burgers and ice-cream.

TommyGun
04-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Go first two days. All the players are still there. contrary to what others say, buy cheap Ashe nosebleeds, but don't use the Ashe seats. Tickets in Ashe will get you into all courts on a first come first serve basis, and are only slightly more then grounds pass.

Also, forget watching matches, and hang around the two areas of practice courts. I've met many pros there, including Babsi Schett and Jelena Dokic, A-Rod and Brad G., Paolo Suarez and Ginny Ruano-Pascal (Suarez actually hit me with a serve, sort of a joke), Laura Granzille, marissa irvin, Yvgeny Kafelnikov, and a whole bunch more. Probably more fun to watch them practice and get a chance to possibly chat then watching a match and having to sit quiet.

Either way, first week of the Open is the greatest week of tennis on the planet.

CivicLx
04-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm a little tired to read all the posts tonight, but thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have some great advice/info to read tomorrow so looking forward...thanks again and I'll probably be back with some more questions after I read the posts :)

YEMntFtb
04-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Go for the early rounds and get day passes so you can go to all the practice courts and see the players hitting and view the matches in the stadiums. Early rounds are the best because all the players you want to see are still in the draw and you can usually see almost anyone you want. I did this twice last year, was absolutely excellent. Got to see Ferrero, Federer, Santoro, Methieu, Haas, Roddick, Agassi, Guga, Dent and more playing matches and practicing.

CivicLx
06-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Where did you guys buy your tickets from? Did anyone else do a tour deal like Geezer Guy? If you don't mind me asking, about how much money did you guys spend for the essentials; lodging, airlines, match tickets etc.

Thanks again for the replies :)

Geezer Guy
06-17-2005, 10:26 AM
The tour I was on, the price of the tour covered all your tickets and your lodging. There were many choices of packages. You could go for a few days, stay at a less expensive hotel, get less expensive seats, and keep the price down. Or, you could stay longer, get better seats, and stay at a more expensive hotel and spend a lot. Or, you can design your own package. If you're a USTA member, the cost or tickets is reduced. (If you're not a USTA member, it's well worth it to join just to save money on the tickets.) The airline costs are the least of your worries. Food is a little expensive, but not a lot. An "average" meal cost in NY is like an expensive meal here in KC. Very tasty though - no complaints at all. The cost of the tour also covers transportation to/from the US Open site every day. I imagine you could check Tours4Tennis.com and get the cost of the packages from 2005. Better hurry though - they DO fill up.

CivicLx
06-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I was hoping you would post back here GG. Yeah I have been checking their site and I think we are going to go through them. I think we're going to go with tour 6 which is, my dad said it was like from a Tuesday night session to a Saturday morning session, but it has it going from Wed to Fri on their site. Well anyway, I had no idea they started selling the year before for events...so like US Open tickets went on Sale last year...well anyway, they only have promenade seats left and I'm thinking that we may have them actually knock off a few days and just get grounds passes, depending on how much that would save us.
Well thanks for your reply and I'll let you know what we decide to do! Are you going again this year by chance?

Geezer Guy
06-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Well, I think you'll have a blast! That early in the tournament, there will be plenty of great action outside of Ashe stadium. Ashe stadium is the only place you need special tickets. You can get everywhere else (including Armstrong) with grounds passes. I'd suggest getting tickets to Ashe once or twice - just for the experience - but if you wanted to save bucks and just get grounds passes the other days I don't think you'd be disappointed. (You could probably always pick up Ashe tickets at the last minute if you wanted to. I don't think it'll be sold out the first week. And, if you can get LOW on the Promenade, you'll be only about 10 feet behind the Luxury Suites, which cost the most. Great seats, at a somewhat kinda farily reasonable price.)

If it's just you and your dad, DON'T take any sort of carry bag. If you're not carrying anything you can just walk right in. If you're carrying something, like a backpack or even just a purse or fanny-pack, then you have to stand in line to have it searched. The line moves pretty quickly, but it can be VERY long at times.

Be sure you check out EVERYTHING there. They have juniors playing, they have wheelchair tennis, they have "past champions" playing. They have booths where there are things to do. There's a museum and the hall of champions, and there are give-aways all over the place.

Sadly, I won't be going this year. BUT, I will be back sometime!

CivicLx
07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Hey thanks for all the info GG. We did end up getting the tickets through the company you suggested. I had no idea they started selling tickets for events the previous year. I had checked usopen.org and saw that they went on sale in June, so I just thought that all tickets went on sale then. And at the time, I just thought we would get them from their site anyway...well we're going the 1st week and we would have preferred getting grounds passes for everyday except for maybe 1 or 2 sessions in Ashe, but according to the lady from tours4tennis.com, they don't sell grounds passes, so we got a package that includes all Ashe tickets and we'll be seeing tennis from Tuesday night until Saturday morning, and both the day and night sessions for the days in between. Unfortunately the tickets for Ashe are in the promenade, but that's ok, we'll make sure we spend plenty of time on the outer courts.

Well, GG did you do much sightseeing while you were in NY? I'm from Cali and have never been to NY, so I'm really looking forward to going. We're going to arrive Tuesday morning, so we'll have a little time to look around. I'm hoping to maybe check out an art gallery or some museums. Can you make any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the info!!

Jonnyf
07-11-2005, 04:16 AM
I am going to go today to see what it is like i'm sooo looking forward to it

CivicLx
07-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey Johnny, do you mean you are going to the stadium to check it out? Are you going to the USO this year?

Tennissiz
07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Just saw this thread and am now thinking about going to the US Open too! Any thoughts on inexpensive accomodations that are easy to get to both the tennis centre and downtown for some broadway shows?

penang
07-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Just saw this thread and am now thinking about going to the US Open too! Any thoughts on inexpensive accomodations that are easy to get to both the tennis centre and downtown for some broadway shows?

What about Hostel in Manhattan. Besides US Open, you may meet many international travellers. Long time ago, met two guys from Germany and they said they were in the same Junior Camp with Boris Becker when they were young. I wasn't playing tennis at that time. So, didn't ask anything about tennis at all.
Good Luck

Geezer Guy
07-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Well, GG did you do much sightseeing while you were in NY? I'm from Cali and have never been to NY, so I'm really looking forward to going. We're going to arrive Tuesday morning, so we'll have a little time to look around. I'm hoping to maybe check out an art gallery or some museums. Can you make any suggestions?

The wife and I did a little sightseeing, but not much. We flew in on the second Sunday, had tickets for Mon - Wed, walked around Manhattan on Thursday and Fri AM, and left Fri PM. If you spend the full day at the Open, you won't have ANY time for anything else on those days. Other days you'll have time. We stayed at the Plaza Hotel, which is across the street from Central Park. We walked around in Central Park several times. We walked down Broadway, saw Harold Square, Times Square, Macy's, a bunch of other stores that my wife did some shopping in. There really IS a ton of stuff to see around there, and almost everything we did was within walking distance of the hotel. I heard that the Museum of Modern Art is near there and very interesting, but we didn't go. Just ran out of time. There's LOTS of good food around there. The best Italian meal we've ever had was at some little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that we'd probably never be able to find again. Great begals, pizza, and everything else at little corner deli's. You can spend a LOT of money at some really nice places, but you can also find lots of places that have really good food for a pretty average price.

Geezer Guy
07-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Oh - and speaking of the Promenade, we had tickets there twice. Once we were about half-way up. It wasn't so bad - nothing to be discouraged about. The other time we were on the FIRST row of the Promenade. These seats are right behind the Luxury Boxes (which are the most expensive seats in the stadium). Great Seats! So, it'll just be the luck of the draw as to what you get. Hopefully, going that many days, you'll get a nice assortment. Each has pro's and con's. AND, I believe that at a certain point in the afternoon and evening they let ANY ticket holders into any empty seats in the lower levels. I'm not sure if this is an actual policy, or if the ushers just turn a blind eye after awhile. We saw several people that moved from the upper level to the lower level - although we never tried it ourselves.

skeurton
07-26-2005, 11:58 AM
i went to the open back in '97. i went wednesday night during the first week and wednesday morning/afternoon the second week. as many have stated already, more matches going on during the first week. i had tickets to ashe stadium both times. it was good for the evening session, as the matches on all the outer courts were wrapping up while one match was still going on in ashe. the second week was a little more disappointing in the stadium. i hardly spent any time there. but i did have fun going around the outer courts and watching the juniors. the talent of those kids at such a young age always amazes me.