PDA

View Full Version : Pro Supex/Genesis Specific Questions (and I mean specific!)

Jonny S&V
10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok, I've really want to try out Pro Supex and Genesis strings. The only problem is money is pretty tight, so I need to know exactly what I'm getting... My current string set-up is Gosen Polylon Ice 17g mains and Technifibre Pro Red Code 16g crosses at 58/62 respectively. The reason I'm using a poly hybrid is I love the bite of a 1st generation poly but I also enjoy the touch and forgiveness of a co-poly. My playing style is rather unique, as I'm a serve and volleyer, but I prefer to stick 5 feet behind the baseline on returns, so I suppose you could say I'm a true all-courter. I hit heavy topspin and slice off of both sides, I don't hit flat all too often (volleying being the exception, I have flat as a pancake volleys), and I hit a kick/twist/slice serve 90% of the time on 1st serves and a kick/twist 100% of the time on 2nd serves.

Now don't get me wrong, I do really like this set-up, but I'm using my college team's Red Code and my Polylon. I kinda want my own string, and I feel that Pro Supex/Genesis have something in their arsenal that would benefit me. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to test 4 polys. Here are the specific questions that I have for the strings I know I'm going to test:

Genesis Black Magic: Heard many good things about this string, but I wonder if it would work better as a 16g cross, 17g main, or a 17g full job.

Pro Supex Big Ace: After hearing it was a soft poly, I automatically relegated it to a possible cross hybrid. After hearing different reviews, I've opened my door to maybe using it in the mains or even full job. Comparing to my current string job, should I use it as a main, cross, or a full job and what gauge(s)?

Pro Supex Blue Gear: I've heard that the 16g gets more bite and spin than the thinner gauges, but that goes against the common thinking of thinner gauges = more spin. Same thing for this string, suggestions if I should use it as a main, a cross, or a full job and what gauge(s)?

The 4th string is open for suggestions, so what do you all have for me (I told you they were specific questions :shock:)? Thank you ahead of time, and if you've read this entire novel of a post, you are a greater friend then you know, lol. :)

Yenster
10-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Hmmm... Looks like you're looking for spin. I would say MSV Focus Hex- great bite on the ball. Signum Pro poly plasma, IMO, is a durable, almost no tension loss string.

Jonny S&V
10-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Hmmm... Looks like you're looking for spin. I would say MSV Focus Hex- great bite on the ball. Signum Pro poly plasma, IMO, is a durable, almost no tension loss string.

I've tried Focus Hex (either 16L or 17, I can't remember which) and thought it was really good for spin, but there was a little too much pop for me. How is the SPPP spin potential compared to, say, Topspin Cyberflash?

Il Mostro
10-16-2009, 04:57 AM
I have play-tested all of the strings you referenced. All are good. Try BM and BA as full jobs and I think you will be happy. From there, you can decide on whether to hybrid. Blue Gear in a full job -- meh.

The real reason for my post is, based on your described playing style (and 90%-100% kick serves), you have to give Kirschbaum Spiky Shark a test drive. You will not find a better string for your purposes. The 3 for $24 sampler deal at TW brings the cost down, too.

Edit: Go 17g in the Spiky Shark. Nice feel and more than reasonable comfort.

Power Player
10-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I prefer BM to BA. BA apprently needs to be strung at a high tension, and I don't like that. BM, I have at 54#s, and will probably drop it to 52 the next time.

I use the BM as a full job in 16. I get a ton of spin out of the string, it takes a little over an hour to break in.

Tofuspeedstar
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't forget Spin X from Genesis if you want spin.

Full bed of blue gear is tough if you have arm problems.

PROTENNIS63
10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Spin X is a great string. Not as much spin as Blue Gear which IMO makes it a better string as it has excellent feel for a poly. Lots of pop from Spin X as well.

Jonny S&V
10-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Ok, it looks like I'm going with Genesis Black Magic 17g , Pro Supex Big Ace, Signum Pro Poly Plasma, and Pro Supex Blue Gear for demoing purposes. I'm also gonna throw Topspin Cyberflash 17g in there as I haven't used that in a while and want to see if I still like it. Also, would Genesis Spin X be worth my time compared to Black Magic? My next question is what gauges should I get the BA, SPPP, and BG in? Also, what tensions should I start out at relative to my current string set-up? Thanks!

SoCal10s
10-16-2009, 09:57 PM
go with Blue gear 128mm in the mains and Big Ace 125mm for the cross.. that's a great set up ..

RobFL
10-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I've locked into a full co poly of BA Micro at about 52-54 but i play on clay. Would string higher on faster courts. PS is quality stuff, no concerns there. Noticed this string needs almost an hour to loosen up and then it seems to get better and last a long time without tension loss. Cyber Blue is a solid string and fairly soft, but I just think that it and strings like SPP have gotten lost in the shuffle of some of these newer co polys that are just all-around better. BAM IS soft by the way.