PDA

View Full Version : Womens champion of 2010 Australian Open

grafselesfan
10-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Who do you believe will win the womens title at the Australian Open.

Bloodshed
10-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Right now, it's mostly likely a toss up between Clijsters and Serena (although Serena has had her share of luck on certain AO like this year and 07 for instance).

I'm going with Clijsters on this one.

Henin will be too rusty for her and Venus sucks at AO normally.

Sharapova if she finds her serve and plays her aggressive game, she's the 3rd fav.

grafselesfan
10-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I have a feeling it will be Clijsters also. I dont think her run will last forever but I have a feeling it will carry her to another slam to start the year. Even though I am not a Clijsters fan I would be happy for her since she has played well there many times without ever winning, and also think it is a joke Capriati who is clearly a much lesser player has more slams than her still.

Bloodshed
10-16-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a feeling it will be Clijsters also. I dont think her run will last forever but I have a feeling it will carry her to another slam to start the year. Even though I am not a Clijsters fan I would be happy for her since she has played well there many times without ever winning, and also think it is a joke Capriati who is clearly a much lesser player has more slams than her still.

The problem in the past with Clijsters was that she was a headcase whenever she faced a strong opponent in GS (whether it was Henin, the Williams Sisters even Sharapova in her later stages) that she would just meltdown completely la Dementieva.

Now she doesn't do that anymore and she's beating who's she expecting to beat (although I think that it will be tough for Clijsters to beat Serena on a regular basis in GS and Sharapova if she's in the zone).

But I believe Clijsters will have more GS than Capriati with the current field so we can get this out of the way ASAP :P

grafselesfan
10-16-2009, 12:23 AM
The problem in the past with Clijsters was that she was a headcase whenever she faced a strong opponent in GS (whether it was Henin, the Williams Sisters even Sharapova in her later stages) that she would just meltdown completely la Dementieva.

Now she doesn't do that anymore and she's beating who's she expecting to beat (although I think that it will be tough for Clijsters to beat Serena on a regular basis in GS and Sharapova if she's in the zone).

But I believe Clijsters will have more GS than Capriati with the current field so we can get this out of the way ASAP :P

Capriati's 3 slam wins were all lucky to a certain degree too, although the 2001 Australian Open was the most well earned 1 of the 3. The 2002 Australian Open title of Capriati's is IMO the luckiest slam in the history of womens tennis. I would be happy to explain the many reasons why I think that. It is such a complete joke I almost want to disregard it altogether.

Capriati is definitely the worst player in womens tennis history to win 3 slams though.

Bloodshed
10-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Capriati's 3 slam wins were all lucky to a certain degree too, although the 2001 Australian Open was the most well earned 1 of the 3. The 2002 Australian Open title of Capriati's is IMO the luckiest slam in the history of womens tennis. I would be happy to explain the many reasons why I think that. It is such a complete joke I almost want to disregard it altogether.

Capriati is definitely the worst player in womens tennis history to win 3 slams though.

Which AO that Hingis completely blew away to Capriati due to the extreme heat?

Ah yes it was the AO 2002. That ****ed me off to a whole new extreme. Couldn't believe Hingis let ths AO slipped her hands like that.

grafselesfan
10-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Which AO that Hingis completely blew away to Capriati due to the extreme heat?

That was 2002. To run down Capriati's 2002 Australian Open title:

-Serena did not play. The same Serena who would win all 3 slams that year and open up a 9 match win streak vs Capriati that extended well into 2004.

-Davenport did not play. The same Davenport who owns Capriati completely, who thoroughly overpowers Capriati in nearly all their matches, who was almost always only stopped by Williams sisters in non clay slams in the few years after her 2000 AO title, and who would never blow another slam title by playing as crappy a match as she did vs Capriati in the 01 semis ever again (and when Capriati was playing much better than the 02 AO anyway)

-Venus was injured, the same Venus who is 4-0 vs Capriati and was the red hot favorite to win the title with Serena and Davenport both out.

-Seles was playing very well here and definitely would have beaten a ragged Capriati, but Seles got unlucky to run into a letter perfect Hingis in the semis after her huge win over Venus in the quarters, and lost in 3 tough sets. To put it into perspective Hingis played about 40% as well in the final as the semis and still would have beaten Capriati more easily than Seles, in 2 sets, without a historic choke. Hingis had 7 unforced errors in her semi with Seles, over 50 in the final.

-Hingis despite playing nowhere near as well as she had the rest of the tournament completely dominated a mediocre Capriati in the final and completely CHOKED away the title in the 2nd set, blowing a 4-0 lead, blowing match points. Capriati couldnt do anything until the 3rd set when Hingis was completely done physically and Hingis still gave it to her.

-Clijsters even should have beaten Capriati in the semis, choked away the 1st set at the end and won the 2nd set easily so should have won in straights.

By far the luckiest and most undeserved slam win in womens tennis history. I like to pretend as if it didnt even exist, it was so laughable. In any case when you win 3 slams and yet have won only 14 tournaments and have losing head to heads with virtually every top 10 player in your two different primes it shows you probably had some kind of lucky horshshoe wedged up your ***. As for her other 2 slam wins:

2001 French Open- Seles and Davenport didnt play. Capriati cant beat any Seles on CLAY, even a past her prime. Historically they have tough matches on hard courts and Capriati gets raped on clay, winning only 4 games or so each time. Davenport owns Capriati so thoroughly that she would beat her even on clay, for anyone who thinks Davenport winning the French sounds farcial Capriati is no clay courter either and her clay court achievements are only on par with someone like Davenport outside her FO win (I think 1 tier 1 title for both, a few finals, etc...). Mauresmo a major contender for the title this year and someone who owns Capriati, Venus who owns Capriati, and Dokic who was a title favorite after winning Rome, all losing 1st round. Clijsters choking in the final.

2001 Australian Open- this was the most earned as I said. She did beat Seles, Davenport, and Hingis all in a row. Granted Davenport played her worst match ever in the semis and literally gave it to Capriati, and Hingis mentally was out of it and by now blowing matches and developing blocks even to players she should beat like Capriati. Still her most earned slam by far with an impressive run of players she beat and the big guns like Venus, Serena, Davenport, Hingis, and Seles all in the quarters atleast that year.

Bloodshed
10-16-2009, 12:49 AM
That was 2002. To run down Capriati's 2002 Australian Open title:

-Serena did not play. The same Serena who would win all 3 slams that year and open up a 9 match win streak vs Capriati that extended well into 2004.

-Davenport did not play. The same Davenport who owns Capriati completely, who thoroughly overpowers Capriati in nearly all their matches, who was almost always only stopped by Williams sisters in non clay slams in the few years after her 2000 AO title, and who would never blow another slam title by playing as crappy a match as she did vs Capriati in the 01 semis ever again (and when Capriati was playing much better than the 02 AO anyway)

-Venus was injured, the same Venus who is 4-0 vs Capriati and was the red hot favorite to win the title with Serena and Davenport both out.

-Seles was playing very well here and definitely would have beaten a ragged Capriati, but Seles got unlucky to run into a letter perfect Hingis in the semis after her huge win over Venus in the quarters, and lost in 3 tough sets. To put it into perspective Hingis played about 40% as well in the final as the semis and still would have beaten Capriati more easily than Seles, in 2 sets, without a historic choke. Hingis had 7 unforced errors in her semi with Seles, over 50 in the final.

-Hingis despite playing nowhere near as well as she had the rest of the tournament completely dominated a mediocre Capriati in the final and completely CHOKED away the title in the 2nd set, blowing a 4-0 lead, blowing match points. Capriati couldnt do anything until the 3rd set when Hingis was completely done physically and Hingis still gave it to her.

-Clijsters even should have beaten Capriati in the semis, choked away the 1st set at the end and won the 2nd set easily so should have won in straights.

By far the luckiest and most undeserved slam win in womens tennis history. I like to pretend as if it didnt even exist, it was so laughable. In any case when you win 3 slams and yet have won only 14 tournaments and have losing head to heads with virtually every top 10 player in your two different primes it shows you probably had some kind of lucky horshshoe wedged up your ***. As for her other 2 slam wins:

2001 French Open- Seles and Davenport didnt play. Capriati cant beat any Seles on CLAY, even a past her prime. Historically they have tough matches on hard courts and Capriati gets raped on clay, winning only 4 games or so each time. Davenport owns Capriati so thoroughly that she would beat her even on clay, for anyone who thinks Davenport winning the French sounds farcial Capriati is no clay courter either and her clay court achievements are only on par with someone like Davenport outside her FO win (I think 1 tier 1 title for both, a few finals, etc...). Mauresmo a major contender for the title this year and someone who owns Capriati, Venus who owns Capriati, and Dokic who was a title favorite after winning Rome, all losing 1st round. Clijsters choking in the final.

2001 Australian Open- this was the most earned as I said. She did beat Seles, Davenport, and Hingis all in a row. Granted Davenport played her worst match ever in the semis and literally gave it to Capriati, and Hingis mentally was out of it and by now blowing matches and developing blocks even to players she should beat like Capriati. Still her most earned slam by far with an impressive run of players she beat and the big guns like Venus, Serena, Davenport, Hingis, and Seles all in the quarters atleast that year.

Thanks for the detailed info.

On paper it looks like Capriati's 2001 RG is the most shocking one that she earned (all the fav either not showing up or losing in the first round). Jeez I wonder who was Capriati's fiercest rival? :???:

But I have to agree with you about AO 2002. She should of never earned that title but alas it happened and we have to deal with it.

I can understand why you think she's the worst 3 time Slam Champion of all time since 2 of them she won it through a joke draw and/or opponents choking.

But nonetheless (back on topic), I still think Clijsters will at least tie Capriati if not get 4 GS to advance ahead of Capriati just for Clijster's sake.

TheTruth
10-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Serena
Jankovic

(Who I want to win)

grafselesfan
10-16-2009, 02:01 AM
Serena
Jankovic

(Who I want to win)

I am starting to wonder if Jankovic will ever win a slam. To be honest I dont she will at this point. Her best chance appeared to be 2006-2008.

big bang
10-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Henin will take for sure, she has only been away for a year.
If Kim could come back and win USO after that long a break, then Justine will do it for sure:)

TheTruth
10-16-2009, 02:09 AM
I am starting to wonder if Jankovic will ever win a slam. To be honest I dont she will at this point. Her best chance appeared to be 2006-2008.

You're probably right. I left out Safina too. Those three are my favorites though so I still want them to win grand slams though.

boredone3456
10-16-2009, 06:40 AM
personally I have no idea...the Aussie next year is probably the most unpredictable slam as I have a pretty good feeling Henin will take the french and a Williams will likely win Wimbledon again unless Henin somehow finds a way to...which I don't see her doing next year.

Here is my rundown of the potentials for the Aussie in no particular order

Serena-Obviously a favorite, although she has had a good amount of luck there in the past and for some reason seems to be able to win only in the odd numbered years.

Clijsters- Has done well down under before but never won the title, beat both Williams en route to the US Open in only her third tournament back. Definitely seems to be motivated and hungry again, and if in good form, would be one of my favorites to win.

Venus- No...she stinks there lately...next person

Safina- Though I doubt it highly...can't completely count her out, if she can somehow avoid Serena and Kim she might have a very long shot to win the title.

Woz- Possible..I think she could follow up her US Open with a breakthrough run. She gave clijsters trouble in the first set of the Open final but I think nerves combined with a stronger as the match went on showing from clijsters broke her down in the end. She could make a stir if she is playing well

Azarenka- ok she was really borderline bad during the 2nd half of 2009 but she was beating Serena rather soundly until illness took its toll here last year. If she is healthy...I think this could be the slam where she really breaks out.

Dementieva- NO, her performance here last year against Serena in the Semi's finally convinced me she will likely never win a major, if she can Avoid Serena (considering how bad she choked against her last year she will need to)....she might be able to do something...but I doubt it.

Sharapova- If she gets her serve together its a possibility..if not forget about it

Kuznetsova- I have no clue..she was all over the place last year, she could make the final or go out in the first week for all I know.

Henin- A potential dark horse...where ever she ends up she is going to cause a stir, frankly it depends on her draw, but I think she will be to rusty.

Forget about the 2 -ics from Serbia...I doubt either of them are taking this. if Zvonareva finds some stability she could be a dark horse, but I don't think so.

Edit: Keep an eye on Pennetta to..she could be a dark horse with the right draw I feel.
As of now my picks to watch would be, in order: Clijsters, Azarenka, Woz, Serena, Sharapova/Henin.............everyone else.

sureshs
10-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Voted for Yoosteen Ena

Cyan
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Clijsters ...............

15-0
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Sharapova for me, and for all the aussies out there i think dokic and stosur are very good potential quarter-finalists.
Sharapova has switched back to the old service motion and remember the last time she played in oz she won it without losing a set. Playing an unbelievible tourament.

8pNADAL
10-16-2009, 10:24 PM
i'm kind of surprised hingis didn't win more slams, they say she couldnt beat the 'big babes' but her head-to-heads with big babes are quite good, she just didn't deliver in some big slam finals, kind of a wasted career, she even reached number 6 in the world in her comeback and that was with henin, sharapova, amelie and clijsters all in their primes

srinrajesh
10-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I would rank them in the following order
Clijsters
Serena
kuznetsova / Wozniazki / Sharapova / Safina (if she manages to avoid serena and not serve 20 double faults in every match)
Jankovic / Henin / Venus

egn
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Someone out of nowhere.

lambielspins
10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if Safina is finished. She cant even win matches on tour anymore it seems. Mentally she seems to have completely lost it, she seems to be struggling to find ways to expand her limited bashers game to take her game to the next level (and if you are going to be a ball basher you sure as heck better atleast have a strong, potent, and reliable serve as part of your arsenal which Safina clearly does not), and with the field all of a sudden probably getting much tougher with the Belgians back and Maria returning to form, her days as even a serious slam pretender could be over for good.

ClubHoUno
10-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I hope for Henin or Clisters (or Wozniacki, because I'm Dane even though she's a BIG PUSHER) - but unfortunately I think the beast Serena will win it :(

marpiw
10-18-2009, 10:46 AM
I think the Australian Open 2010 will arrive to a Henin-Clijsters final...but I dont want to dismiss the possibility of a final match involving the latest phenomenons like Azarenka,Wozniaki,Wickmeyer and Li...
Its incredible but I'm counting the days for that tournament which will be the most interesting to watch in the whole season because of the meeting of some comebacks and the latest appearances in the tennis panorama...
If I would win the lottery the first thing I would do is to go to Australia and buy tickets to EVERY match....

Serendipitous
10-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Safina....:shock:

Steffi-forever
10-19-2009, 02:37 AM
I hope it will be Svetlana.

jones101
10-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I think the Australian Open 2010 will arrive to a Henin-Clijsters final...but I dont want to dismiss the possibility of a final match involving the latest phenomenons like Azarenka,Wozniaki,Wickmeyer and Li...
Its incredible but I'm counting the days for that tournament which will be the most interesting to watch in the whole season because of the meeting of some comebacks and the latest appearances in the tennis panorama...
If I would win the lottery the first thing I would do is to go to Australia and buy tickets to EVERY match....

The mens and womens tournaments are very open this year IMO with Federer and Serena SLIGHT favourite over everone else at the moment. I can't wait for the Aussie swing next year, esp the Aussie Open. I love the start to the season, as everyone is fresh and you really don't know how anyone will perform, which makes it all the more exciting.

edmondsm
10-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Melanie Oudin

lambielspins
10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Kim Clijsters.

kOaMaster
10-28-2009, 07:52 AM
would LOVE to see henin winning, but voted for wozniacki

lambielspins
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
would LOVE to see henin winning, but voted for wozniacki

Wozniacki wont be winning a slam anytime soon IMO. She simply doesnt have enough power or a big enough weapon to do so.

dropshot winner
10-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Wozniacki wont be winning a slam anytime soon IMO. She simply doesnt have enough power or a big enough weapon to do so.

Making less than 20 UEs a set IS a big weapon on the WTA these days.

lambielspins
10-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Making less than 20 UEs a set IS a big weapon on the WTA these days.

True. She does have amazing consistency, I will give her that. I dont think anyone likes to play her really since you know she wont beat herself, you have to earn almost every point vs her. I just wish she could put the damn ball away more often.