PDA

View Full Version : Agassi says Fed and Nadal are on their way out.

Daveyo
10-16-2009, 10:42 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=capress-ten_agassi_federer_and_nadal-155852832&prov=capress&type=lgns

Wow, Nadal suffers from tendinitis, doesn't look the same at all and now Agassi thinks he will suffer his whole career and not perform to peak. I believe theirs also a fear factor that other players start to get past, once Fed started losing, everyone started to believe they could also beat him. Fed loses confidence, opponents gain confidence and there you have the mental part of the game in a nutshell.

Same with Nadal hes injured and the opponents just pounce!! No longer seemingly invincible Nadal loses his edge and opponents gain the mental edge. One thing for sure though if I was Agassi i wouldn't quite be ready to pass the torch from Nadal to Murray.

Chopin
10-16-2009, 07:33 PM
As much as I respect AA--I think he's way off about Murray. Honestly, I think Murray will win a couple of slams at most.

I personally think that Roddick is a better player than Murray.

RCizzle65
10-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Same, I don't think Murray will dominate at all, he isn't aggressive enough, and loses to hot streak players all the time in slams. In a couple of years I can see a transitional period occuring

8pNADAL
10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
most past players are off the mark with their predictions, and thats because being a great tennis player doesnt help you predict the future

President of Serve/Volley
10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Federer will still be The Man to defeat in 2010...

8pNADAL
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
federer will lose massive ranking points if he doesnt deliver in the slams, while nadal can do what he wants and still gain in 2010, nadal can skip some clay events and not lose anything, because this year he plays wimbledon and should go further than 4th round at rg

Chopin
10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
federer will lose massive ranking points if he doesnt deliver in the slams, while nadal can do what he wants and still gain in 2010, nadal can skip some clay events and not lose anything, because this year he plays wimbledon and should go further than 4th round at rg

Nadal can gain points providing he actually plays. I think it's becoming clear to a lot of people that Nadal just isn't going to have a long and consistent career like Federer or Sampras.

8pNADAL
10-16-2009, 08:19 PM
^nah its just an ongoing cycle, nadal will always have tendinitis but it won't get worse it just comes and goes when he plays too many weeks in a row and then rests (same as venus and serena whove had knee and wrist tendinitis since 1999), the key is nadal will rest more this time and rest at the right times (not play madrid etc.)

film1
10-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Roddicks body is not going to hold up and Murry does not have the weapons to dominate.
I don't know who the next domminent player is but I feel confident I know who it's not going to be.

RCizzle65
10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Next dominant player, I'm looking out for Grigor Dimitrov

most past players are off the mark with their predictions, and thats because being a great tennis player doesnt help you predict the future

You are right partly, reminds me of this video, wayyyy off the mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeIaoad4z-8

But, Federer was asked who he thought the next number one would be awhile back, and he said Nadal (this was back before he reached number 2 for a long time), and it happened. Federer and Nadal are asked who would be next, and they said Del Potro, let's see if that prediction is correct...

JoshDragon
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Andre is going to be way wrong on this. Federer, made all four major finals this year and he won't even be 30 until the second half of 2011. I don't see Federer, going away for a few more years, and Nadal will always be a threat at Wimbledon and the Australian Open, not to mention a huge favorite at the FO.

8pNADAL
10-16-2009, 10:19 PM
yah agassi would have to be saying this in 'hope' since there is a danger for him that his career will be dwarfed the longer this rivalry continues

JoshDragon
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM
yah agassi would have to be saying this in 'hope' since there is a danger for him that his career will be dwarfed the longer this rivalry continues

That's a good point. The Fed/Nadal rivalry is really blowing the Sampras/Agassi one out of the water.

President of Serve/Volley
10-17-2009, 06:53 AM
That's a good point. The Fed/Nadal rivalry is really blowing the Sampras/Agassi one out of the water.

At least with Sampras/Andre, you got S/V and Baseline.

TheTruth
10-17-2009, 07:41 AM

Great insight. Nadal/Fed has dwarfed the Sampras/Agassi rivalry by a small margin right now, who knows how history will record it, but with Fed haven't broken Pete's record, and Nadal at 23 only two slams shy of Andre's slam total...well, I'm just sayin'...

Not to mention Nadal will most probably eclipse his TMS shield total. Gotta have something, dontcha?

mandy01
10-17-2009, 07:52 AM
yah agassi would have to be saying this in 'hope' since there is a danger for him that his career will be dwarfed the longer this rivalry continues er..no.An eight time slam Champion with 17 MS titles AND a career slam will hardly envy these guys...especially when he's been praising tham far too often.
Its the press making a huge deal out of what he said.He really isnt predicting the demise of either Roger,Nadal or their rivalry.

Bud
10-17-2009, 08:25 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=capress-ten_agassi_federer_and_nadal-155852832&prov=capress&type=lgns

Wow, Nadal suffers from tendinitis, doesn't look the same at all and now Agassi thinks he will suffer his whole career and not perform to peak. I believe theirs also a fear factor that other players start to get past, once Fed started losing, everyone started to believe they could also beat him. Fed loses confidence, opponents gain confidence and there you have the mental part of the game in a nutshell.

Same with Nadal hes injured and the opponents just pounce!! No longer seemingly invincible Nadal loses his edge and opponents gain the mental edge. One thing for sure though if I was Agassi i wouldn't quite be ready to pass the torch from Nadal to Murray.

Interesting... as Nadal is playing for his 16th MS title, tomorrow :oops:

Andy Murray is a joke at this point.

ClubHoUno
10-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Agreed - for some odd reason I just hate Murray and his tennis game :twisted:

Can't see him beeing the next Numero Uno - hope not for sure :oops:

myalterego
10-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Agassi is being ridiculous. As others have said, he is just trying to downplay the RF/RF rivalry.

Murray won't win more than 2 or 3 Grand Slams, if he wins one at all. Too many other good players are out there doing well, such as Del Potro, Djokovic, Soderling, Monfils, Tsonga, etc.

Daveyo
10-17-2009, 05:58 PM

I agree and yes he is playing against Davydenko who if he played like today will win handily. I still say Nadal is not playing like before the layoff and the other world class players just see him as another obstacle in the way. They DO NOT see him as superman like before. Plus there dealing with the heavy spin very well now. Although I enjoy watching Nadal play I personally dont see him lasting as long as Fed has.

I liked Simon when I first seen him on the tour, but he has his issues, Del potro looked very good at the USO, but I still see Fed winning for at least two more years possibly up to four more. Fed is very light on the court this is great for wear and tear.

Daveyo
10-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Agassi is being ridiculous. As others have said, he is just trying to downplay the RF/RF rivalry.

Murray won't win more than 2 or 3 Grand Slams, if he wins one at all. Too many other good players are out there doing well, such as Del Potro, Djokovic, Soderling, Monfils, Tsonga, etc.

I don't see Monfils doing very well, I believe he will drop further down the rankings. His game is just not tailored at all for hard court, if he doesn;t adjust he'll keep injuring himself with his radical play. I definitely like your other picks though, its also nice seeing Soderling bring things around although he lost a joke match today, a bit surprising to sat the least, maybe he was tired.

Inner Game
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Agassi is high.....Agassi is actually a .ickhead! he was a punk when he was young and a leopard doesn't change its spots...
It makes me sick to see him driving that school bus at this Las Vegas School on the tennis channel.......I give him credit for the school...but I wonder how much of the money is actually his? or did he just use his celebrity status to get others to support his school....

Baikalic
10-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Agassi is high.....Agassi is actually a .ickhead! he was a punk when he was young and a leopard doesn't change its spots...
It makes me sick to see him driving that school bus at this Las Vegas School on the tennis channel.......I give him credit for the school...but I wonder how much of the money is actually his? or did he just use his celebrity status to get others to support his school....

hey!! looks like people are taking agassi's words too seriously. I posted this in the original thread, "Andre Agassi: Federer-Nadal era is ending."

these former pros are probably prompted and nudged in a certain direction by interviewers and so produce a statement they would not have otherwise made on their own.

What we have here is a story without the full transcript of the interview; a writer wants to make a definitive point based on the material he has, so then he/she writes:

"Andre Agassi says Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal's domination of the men's game is coming to an end"

when in fact what Agassi actually said was:

"Now we have possibly the changing of the guard."

which is a much less definitive statement. I think Agassi is intelligent and polite enough not to make a declaration that Rafa and Fed are simply done.