PDA

View Full Version : is there any hope for me to play D1?

sh0rty_aly17
10-16-2009, 02:10 PM
im a new user for this site
im a girl, 16 sophomore in hs. ive been playing for a little over a year, 4.0 (new jersey, if that matters) i play 3rd doubles JV, our varsity is 10th in south jersey. my game has improved a lot over the season (since end of august). my overall goal is to play in college at a D1 school (college of charleston, clemson, university of south carolina; i would like to go to college in the South)
i have 10 months until next season, i want to play top 3 singles on varsity next season...what should i do to improve my game? im up for anything, i really want this!

XLes paulO
10-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Just keep working hard and playing all you can as much as you can. Keep a positive mind set just keep trying and playing tons. Mabye working out some too?

tennismom42
10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
im a girl, 16 sophomore in hs. ive been playing for a little over a year, 4.0 (new jersey, if that matters) i play 3rd doubles JV, our varsity is 10th in south jersey. my game has improved a lot over the season (since end of august). my overall goal is to play in college at a D1 school (college of charleston, clemson, university of south carolina; i would like to go to college in the South)
i have 10 months until next season, i want to play top 3 singles on varsity next season...what should i do to improve my game? im up for anything, i really want this!hit with a variety of players in your area until you can't find any more. boys, girls, women, men. play a women's league, play in some of the Showdowns.... Here's the link to all the showdowns. http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=618

There's a Showdown in NJ TOMORROW!! Just go show up & they'll probably give you some matches.

Also play USTA matches, singles and doubles. various levels and age groups.

Please know it's impossible to compare one's HS performance to college expectations. Each HS is soooo different.

TennisCoachFLA
10-17-2009, 04:53 AM
tennismom gave lots of great advice. I would also suggest you bring something to the table many other girls may overlook. A few ideas:

1. Return of service. Work on being the best returner possible. Be able to handle any serve and actually do something offensive with it. This will turn enough points your way to make a difference.

2. Your serve. Many girls do not have great 2nd serves. Watch the top boys and learn how they use spins and placement on their 2nd serves. Make your serve a weapon and certainly not a liability like many girls.

3. Hit like a guy....not trying being offensive. Many girls are allowed to hit flat shots from the baseline all day long. Even after the boys progress to topspin, many girls are left behind hitting flat. Even a Rick Macci admits he gets caught up in not emphasizing topspin enough as the girl's age.

4. Read "Winning Ugly" by Brad Gilbert.

Once you do the above, advertise what you have done to college coaches. You will interest them in your different approach to the game.

TnsMan2
10-17-2009, 08:25 AM
tennismom gave lots of great advice. I would also suggest you bring something to the table many other girls may overlook. A few ideas:

1. Return of service. Work on being the best returner possible. Be able to handle any serve and actually do something offensive with it. This will turn enough points your way to make a difference.

2. Your serve. Many girls do not have great 2nd serves. Watch the top boys and learn how they use spins and placement on their 2nd serves. Make your serve a weapon and certainly not a liability like many girls.

3. Hit like a guy....not trying being offensive. Many girls are allowed to hit flat shots from the baseline all day long. Even after the boys progress to topspin, many girls are left behind hitting flat. Even a Rick Macci admits he gets caught up in not emphasizing topspin enough as the girl's age.

Once you do the above, advertise what you have done to college coaches. You will interest them in your different approach to the game.

Don't forget to tell her she needs Spanish Coaches and needs to train on red clay to really have any chance! LOL

TennisCoachFLA
10-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't forget to tell her she needs Spanish Coaches and needs to train on red clay to really have any chance! LOL

No problem, just remember to wake me when a player not named Williams wins a slam who wasn't raised playing a good deal of their tennis on clay.....thanks.

TnsMan2
10-17-2009, 07:47 PM
No problem, just remember to wake me when a player not named Williams wins a slam who wasn't raised playing a good deal of their tennis on clay.....thanks.

Be on court with her tomorrow the boy was suppose to spar with her but due to illness cant , but just to name a few Pete, Andre, Lindsey these 3 were not raised on clay and they did "OK" ,

this sport like any other goes in cycles do your home work and if you want ill let you read my book it may help you to gain some real knowledge not a regurgitated info !

TennisCoachFLA
10-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Be on court with her tomorrow the boy was suppose to spar with her but due to illness cant , but just to name a few Pete, Andre, Lindsey these 3 were not raised on clay and they did "OK" ,

this sport like any other goes in cycles do your home work and if you want ill let you read my book it may help you to gain some real knowledge not a regurgitated info !

Pete, Andre, and Lindsay?........I said next one to win a slam Brad, not years and years ago.

Sports go in cycles? Really? So NBA players will get shorter? NFL guys will get smaller again? And the other countries who were not focusing on tennis 20 years ago and are now sending many great players to the pros will go back to not focusing on tennis again?? Ummmm....maybe not.

Brad, please think before posting please. Thanks.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Lets see some video of you hitting. then we could tell if you have what it takes...

Ookie Cookie
10-18-2009, 09:46 AM
ur a sophmore playing number 3 dubs on Jv, sorry to so, no you will not play division one

TnsMan2
10-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Lets see some video of you hitting. then we could tell if you have what it takes...

Who are you wanting video from ? if its Tennisflorida good luck the guys what you call all talk no go .

TnsMan2
10-18-2009, 09:48 AM
i have 10 months until next season, i want to play top 3 singles on varsity next season...what should i do to improve my game? im up for anything, i really want this!

Can you put up some video of your hitting ?

tennis-silver
10-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Let's respect the OP and stay on topic. This can quickly turn into a
Brad and TennisCoachFL bashing each other thread.

You two should start your own threads - it is allowed :) !

I thought all of the positive comments here are right on target.

SoCal10s
10-18-2009, 11:34 AM
You two should start your own threads - it is allowed :)

naw man these two is what makes these blog so fun.. but I do agree with you that they should get their own bedroom.. haha .. go Brad go.. I will endorse Brad for the next go to guy... I get tired of hearing TennisCoachFL's broken record about clay courts and Spanish topspin coaching ..

TennisCoachFLA
10-18-2009, 12:34 PM

You two should start your own threads - it is allowed :) !

I thought all of the positive comments here are right on target.

Agreed, but take note that my initial post was providing advice on the topic.

And Socal....it didn't mention anything about "Spanish coaching" even once!

tennis-silver
10-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Agreed, but take note that my initial post was providing advice on the topic.

And Socal....it didn't mention anything about "Spanish coaching" even once!

Yep, your correct. And I realize its hard not to respond when someone tries to disparage your efforts!

TheRebelofPrince
10-18-2009, 04:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrp815ctBiA

not to be mean, anybody whose played jv, and 3rd doubles at that, has no chance at d1 school, maybe d3, and thats a big maybe, not trying to be mean, but u can try...

TnsMan2
10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Yep, your correct. And I realize its hard not to respond when someone tries to disparage your efforts!

mr. silver if you would notice right above one of your threads i asked for a video from the one asking advise , was on topic but was also reminding mr florida he left out crucial advise that he believes in that with out red clay and spanish coaching your going no where ,

once again to the one asking advise if you have a video please display and i would be happy to give some of the best advise you can get in the country.

TnsMan2
10-18-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrp815ctBiA

not to be mean, anybody whose played jv, and 3rd doubles at that, has no chance at d1 school, maybe d3, and thats a big maybe, not trying to be mean, but u can try...

its not being mean its being in reality great advise!

TennisCoachFLA
10-18-2009, 05:36 PM
mr. silver if you would notice right above one of your threads i asked for a video from the one asking advise , was on topic but was also reminding mr florida he left out crucial advise that he believes in that with out red clay and spanish coaching your going no where ,

once again to the one asking advise if you have a video please display and i would be happy to give some of the best advise you can get in the country.

Bradley, now lets put things in context. In the past I have mentioned the importance of kids playing on clay as PART of the discussion on how to improve the US tennis junior infrastructure.

The discussion was about ideas to improve US tennis. My suggestions included attracting more kids to tennis, hiring coaches with track records of success, AND building and maintaining regional training centers with clay courts right along side the hard courts. Since many ITF and pro tournies are played on clay, maybe our kids should learn both on hard and clay courts.

The discussion about Spanish coaching was in response to posts about how Spain and France, countries with 1/7th the US population, have 4 times the top 100 players as the US. We discussed that the kids there have less other sports choices, the play on clay, they have good coaching. Others posters said they are hungrier and tougher than US kids.

Perhaps clay and learning from other coaching styles is not the sole answer, but it should certainly be part of the discussion.

TennisNinja
10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
If your district is anything like mine, nobody playing 3rd dubs jv has a chance of playing d1. A lot of kids on varsity at some schools aren't even close.

SoCal10s
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I think you should first go talk to those seniors players who are playing on your team if they are going have any chance to play D1 tennis.. if any of them are going to D1 tennis after graduating,ask them for an honest opinion if YOU have any chance to do the same.. and also,what they think of your game and where you need to improve and what you need to do to get that chance to D1 tennis.. then you can realistically set your own goals to make that happen.. good luck and don't take any Spanish quarters ..

sh0rty_aly17
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
thanks everyone
SoCal - yeah maybe D1 isnt very realistic if im playing 3rd on jv as a soph...maybe D3 if i work for it
tennismom - thanks for all the good advice, ill check out the Showdown thing!
everyone else - thanks for posting advice (and entertainment :]) i dont have a camera but ill work on getting one and posting some videos...christmas is a only a few months away :]

sh0rty_aly17
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM

thnx my serve is pretty good now its gotten better, but i will definetely work on my 2nd serve and putting more spin on my groundies and returning serves. this is the second time someones suggested the Brad Gilbert book to me, i guess that means i should read it soon!

TennisCoachFLA
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
thnx my serve is pretty good now its gotten better, but i will definetely work on my 2nd serve and putting more spin on my groundies and returning serves. this is the second time someones suggested the Brad Gilbert book to me, i guess that means i should read it soon!

Best of luck. NJ? We lived in Somerville for 8 years a long time ago. Getting about time to head to the indoor courts up there I bet.

sh0rty_aly17
10-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Best of luck. NJ? We lived in Somerville for 8 years a long time ago. Getting about time to head to the indoor courts up there I bet.

thanks! oh yea somerville i know where that is, like an hour from here. yup i just joined a jr ladder program and its all indoor :]

goran_ace
11-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry, I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but look at the rosters at those schools. You have zero chance of even walking onto those teams if you are 16, playing #3 dubs on JV. SC and Clemson are big time programs with mostly foreign players. You would need to somehow get a top 25 sectional ranking or top 100 national ranking in the next year for the coaches to show any interest in you.

If you want to play college tennis maybe you should set your goals lower (like a DIII program), otherwise if you must go to one of those schools then give up the dream of playing varsity tennis.