PDA

View Full Version : Transferring to Semi-western Grip

Roy125
10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm getting tired of hitting the ball long when I attempt to hit a ball WW style with an eastern forehand grip. So I'm adjusting to a semi-western. I want to know if I'm able to still hit a lot of forehand winners with this grip and I also want to know how to deal with low balls and how to change grips quickly when approaching the net. Help please?

Roy125
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Oh and is my 2 handed backhand good with both of my hands on the eastern grips? I heard that it was better if I had my left hand in the leftie eastern grip and my right hand in the contin. grip.

coyfish
10-16-2009, 06:53 PM
You can hit heavy topspin or flat with either SW or eastern. The biggest change really is where your strike zone is.

You can hit just as much spin with an eastern as you can with a SW. Something is wrong with your mechanics to be hitting the ball long.

Regardless its a good idea to test all the grips to see which is best for you. Don't fantasize that the grip will magically fix everything and make your forehand 10X more consistant.

wyutani
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
use a western grip. no matter how hard you hit it, the ball will always land in.

Roy125
10-16-2009, 08:20 PM
You can hit heavy topspin or flat with either SW or eastern. The biggest change really is where your strike zone is.

You can hit just as much spin with an eastern as you can with a SW. Something is wrong with your mechanics to be hitting the ball long.

Regardless its a good idea to test all the grips to see which is best for you. Don't fantasize that the grip will magically fix everything and make your forehand 10X more consistant.

Just to clarify, for an eastern grip for my forehand, I have to hit more on the underside of the ball for topspin than when I hit it flatly right?

marosmith
10-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Don't change grips, just improve your stroke.

coyfish
10-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Just to clarify, for an eastern grip for my forehand, I have to hit more on the underside of the ball for topspin than when I hit it flatly right?

Just hit from low to high. If you hit the ball out in front like your supposed to, hit from low to high with a high follow through the topspin will be there.

The_Steak
10-16-2009, 08:53 PM
use a western grip. no matter how hard you hit it, the ball will always land in.

And don't listen to him. :)

wyutani
10-17-2009, 12:03 AM
And don't listen to him. :)

now...to the OP, ignore this guy's comment and listen to me.

moroni
10-17-2009, 02:14 AM

this is pure............ wait for it................ its coming .................... dodo western grip is a high maintence one you will need to practise alot and when take a break for like two weeks then come back it will be a mess either go with eastern(the grip i used when i first started playing) or semi western(the grip i switched to ) eastern is good on low balls but topspin is is much better with SW on high balls.

Roy125
10-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok today, I played with an eastern grip. Maybe I'm not pronating correctly, but a lot of my attempts at topspin forehand strokes went into the net. I'm not supposed to use my wrist when using the windshield wiper stroke right?

ubermeyer
10-17-2009, 04:42 PM

western grips suck

Roy125
10-17-2009, 05:05 PM
western grips suck

:shock::shock:

wyutani
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
western grips suck

only real men uses western. so i cant blame you for not using it. i bet you have a good reason.

coyfish
10-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Ok today, I played with an eastern grip. Maybe I'm not pronating correctly, but a lot of my attempts at topspin forehand strokes went into the net. I'm not supposed to use my wrist when using the windshield wiper stroke right?

Don't use your wrist to generate spin. You are probably hitting the backside of the ball and brushing up. You generate spin but the shot goes down. You need to hit the ball UNDER the ball and move upwards creating an arc. Maybe you are hitting the ball too early.

And don't worry about wrist at this point. You will generate plenty of spin just hitting from low to high. You can get a friend and play minitennis. Just simplify your swing and ditch the WW backswing for a minute. Learn how / where you need to strike the ball. Then you can start incorporating your backswing back at the baseline

Roy125
10-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Don't use your wrist to generate spin. You are probably hitting the backside of the ball and brushing up. You generate spin but the shot goes down. You need to hit the ball UNDER the ball and move upwards creating an arc. Maybe you are hitting the ball too early.

And don't worry about wrist at this point. You will generate plenty of spin just hitting from low to high. You can get a friend and play minitennis. Just simplify your swing and ditch the WW backswing for a minute. Learn how / where you need to strike the ball. Then you can start incorporating your backswing back at the baseline

Yeah, I think that was my problem, hitting early. I felt that I was doing too much with my forehand last time.

Falloutjr
10-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Just remember when you hit with topspin, you're hitting the ball later than you would any other stroke. I find it much easier to hit the ball on the fall than on the rise to control the ball. Swinging up on a ball that's already on the rise leads to lob-like pop flies and if they're not deep enough, can be smashed. If you watch Nadal, he doesn't hit on the rise. It's not that he can't; he's the second best player in the world. It's that topspin ball control comes from hitting the ball on the fall in your strike zone.

Roy125
10-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Just remember when you hit with topspin, you're hitting the ball later than you would any other stroke. I find it much easier to hit the ball on the fall than on the rise to control the ball. Swinging up on a ball that's already on the rise leads to lob-like pop flies and if they're not deep enough, can be smashed. If you watch Nadal, he doesn't hit on the rise. It's not that he can't; he's the second best player in the world. It's that topspin ball control comes from hitting the ball on the fall in your strike zone.

What about high balls that are coming towards me?

Roy125
10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Ugh, crappy day today. I lost 1-6 to my sister. I hate my slow flat second serve. It is greatly affected when my mentality is slightly bad.

Falloutjr
10-18-2009, 07:05 PM
What about high balls that are coming towards me?

Mah boi, let me teach you about this magical thing called backspin :)

Roy125
10-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Mah boi, let me teach you about this magical thing called backspin :)

My favorite. I just love hitting a good drop shot. Now if I can just make it go more forward.:confused:

SourStraws
10-19-2009, 07:53 PM
If you're hitting a ball long...Add more spin and aim higher over the net...Or just aim lower about 2-2.5 feet over the net...I would definitely go for the former if you're a beginner though. I started out with an eastern grip...It works and as you start to play more, you will naturally gravitate to a semiwestern because your wrist becomes looser. Do NOT go to a full western grip though...It will not give you success on the hard court

S.S.