PDA

View Full Version : Bad Knee, good forehand

marosmith
10-16-2009, 09:17 PM
So I sprained the crap out of my left knee 2 weeks ago. Still can't really plant and twist, so my backhand is terrible, however, I went out today hitting with the wife and I was crushing the forehands (that I could get to).

I realized it was because I was really planting with all my weight on my right leg. It really allowed me to hit hard and through the ball. Interesting how an injury could help me focus on a fundemental on this shot.

Ballsboy
10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I was crushing the forehands (that I could get to).

I realized it was because I was really planting with all my weight on my right leg. It really allowed me to hit hard and through the ball.

This can't be right unless you are left-handed because your weight would remain at your backfoot which wouldn't allow you to hit more through the ball and would make you miss lots of balls into the net or out of the court. If you are a lefty, then I guess it's ok.

How did you sprain your knee? Was it painful? I hope you can heal completely.

Noveson
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
This can't be right unless you are left-handed because your weight would remain at your backfoot which wouldn't allow you to hit more through the ball and would make you miss lots of balls into the net or out of the court. If you are a lefty, then I guess it's ok.

How did you sprain your knee? Was it painful? I hope you can heal completely.

No you're assuming he his hitting with a closed stance. He probably is hitting with an open stance so you would want to be on your right leg for a righty. I doubt he forgot to say he's left handed(I'm a lefty) because he said which knee it is.

SystemicAnomaly
10-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Yup, I assume that the OP is hitting with an open (or semi-open) stance where it is not necessary to transfer the weight to the front (left) leg.

I have a possible solution for your backhand side. (Even tho' I'm a lefty, I'll explain this for a righty). I had a heel spur problem on the foot of the leg on my non-dominant side. That would be a left leg problem in your case. You didn't say if you hit a 1-handed or a 2-handed BH, but the solution is the same. Since you cannot drive off you rear leg for your BH, you should lean forward (toward the net) a little with your right leg bent. Drive off the front leg instead of the rear leg.

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3064921 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3064921)

This is a bit unconventional but it is not without precedent. Take a look at Safin (below) hitting a jumping (2-handed) BH shot. He lifts his back leg and drives primarily off the front leg. To execute this without jumping, you'll need to lean a bit to get your weight over your front leg so that you can drive off that leg.

hi-techtennis.com/video_sample.php?player_id=8&video_id=184 (http://www.hi-techtennis.com/video_sample.php?player_id=8&video_id=184)

LeeD
10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Hmm...
I had a strained meniscus for maybe 6 weeks, left leg, lefty hitter, and I could crush forehands, but was inconsistent on setups for the 1HBH topspins.
Now that it's healed, I can't hit a forehand worth beans, but my 1HBH topspin is just as bad......:oops::oops:
Meaning.... if I concentrate, I can hit a shot with good technique. Since I don't concentrate, my technique wanders regardless of my physical state.:shock:

10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
So I sprained the crap out of my left knee 2 weeks ago. Still can't really plant and twist, so my backhand is terrible, however, I went out today hitting with the wife and I was crushing the forehands (that I could get to).

I realized it was because I was really planting with all my weight on my right leg. It really allowed me to hit hard and through the ball. Interesting how an injury could help me focus on a fundemental on this shot.

My guess is that you were hitting from a more balanced position due to the injury, and using the rt leg to lift and pull into the shot as you opened to hit the shot.