PDA

View Full Version : What I think I've learned, right or wrong?

jswinf
10-17-2009, 03:33 PM
After a couple of jobs on my Gamma x2 I'm looking forward to starting the next one kind of knowing what I'm doing. I've made some conclusions about how I want to do some things, if anything sounds too wrong please let me know.
1. Got a Klippermate starting pin because some posts said it's a good thing to use. Couldn't get my x2 clamps to hold it without slipping even when tightening them to nuclear, and those clamps hate me anyway. Lots of bleeding goes on. I'm thinking the standard approach to starting mains with flying clamps is good enough. If I try the starting pin again I'll try a piece of string tied to a key ring or something, as I've seen suggested, but I'm sort of thinking to heck with it.
2. About starting those mains, I'd like to work out to the third or fourth on one side before tensioning the first on the other to avoid the clamps jamming into each other. Could this cause trouble? Is there anything wrong with putting a clamp on from above when it seems easier?
3. Reading about pre-lacing the mains, it sounds good. Any reasons not to? How about pre-weaving crosses (more than 1 ahead)?
4. Working on the crosses, any reason to use 1 flying clamp on each side or just one moving from side to side? Seems like a second one distorts the strings and might not be necessary.

Thanks.

bwaid88
10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Most of what you're thinking about doing sounds like good advice. Pre-weaving the crosses however can cause some problems if you do not know what you are doing. By weaving teh string through twice before you tension it, you are creating more friction and therefor making you tension pull inaccurate (some people know this and use a higher tension). Your best be however is to simply do them one at a time, especially if you aren't in a hurry. As for moving the clamps from side to side, I use both of the clamps when I am stringing the crosses. It simply is a more stable system of checks and balances but is not necessary. Hope this helps.

meowmix
10-17-2009, 06:05 PM
^Hmm? I disagree with not preweaving the crosses (one ahead)- it's standard procedure if you want to lower your time. You don't actually cause more friction, since you're not actually pulling any part of string twice. Think of it this way: imagine if you didn't preweave. You'd weave your cross, and tension, right? Now, what if after tensioning, you kept applying your tension, while taking the end of the string and weaved another cross? That's what pre-weaving essentially is.

Il Mostro
10-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Most of what you're thinking about doing sounds like good advice. Pre-weaving the crosses however can cause some problems if you do not know what you are doing. By weaving teh string through twice before you tension it, you are creating more friction and therefor making you tension pull inaccurate (some people know this and use a higher tension). Your best be however is to simply do them one at a time, especially if you aren't in a hurry. As for moving the clamps from side to side, I use both of the clamps when I am stringing the crosses. It simply is a more stable system of checks and balances but is not necessary. Hope this helps.

Say *what*???

alidisperanza
10-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that was semi-lost on that one

alidisperanza
10-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Anyways. On the first pull (mains) you don't really want to pull one side of the racquet too much first... Think about it, you're putting direct strain on a half of the racquet without even the slightest balance on the other side. I typically do the first 4 center mains before branching out and doing 2-3 then switching.

meowmix
10-18-2009, 05:32 AM
I believe the official USRSA's line on stringing mains is that you can do 3 ahead on one side.

alidisperanza
10-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeap, but to be honest, When I see that frame start to bend in a bit, I feel more comfortable doing one and one. Once I get at least two mains on either side I go for 3

YULitle
10-18-2009, 08:55 AM
meomix: it's UP TO 3 ahead at a time. Just a minor difference. :D