PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Yonex users for string setup...especially with TI80

glpsace
10-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello everyone,

Iīm a 33 years old recreational player living in Portugal (do not ask me to evaluate myself since in Europe we donīt have your ranking system) that used to play a lot but now only play 1 or twice a week (between work and family there is just not enough time to do everything... if only one day had 33 hours;))

I have used many brands and always wanted to try Yonex brand since I played a few years ago with a friendīs yonex frame (canīt remember the model). So I found a good oportunity on **** (finally) for a TI80, that from my theoretical study will suit my style "perefectly". I like a good serve, volley a lot and also apreciate a good groundstroke ralley. Topspin is also apreciated as slicing the ball. Anyway... Iīm an all court player. The only downside is my lack of great power which I donīt mind since I love playing the control. Since this frame is not the most powerfull one (grip is 4 3/8) I have to be very carrefull with strings and tension.

So the TI80, in my understanding, is the most underrated and "secret weapon" from the yonex family and usually people who understand it and its "secret" fall imediatly in love and either as a main or as a backup always care one around. I believe this is why they arenīt very easy to find, at least in Europe. Those who donīt like it or donīt understand its potential 90% of the time it is because they used the wrong strings or tension... and oh boy! This is probably the most sensible racket in this matter. It can be your most hated or loved frame just by the fact you have the wrong or right setup at the perfect tension... it is that sensitive! By the way I wanted the older version (orange/silver) but I got the latest one (red/blue) which is supposed to be the same.

So, it is a fact that this particular frame requires the following "atention" so that one will be abble to feel its potencial and maybe unleash the beast on a lucky day:
- Soft strings (this is a vital aspect) and still it will play with a metalic ping and feel in the first couple of hours. This will also (depending on the string) give you a total diferent feel about a small or huge sweetspot in the TI80.
- High tensions (of course because of the softer string, my lack of power, and also because this model plays a world diference in higher tension compared to a lower one). We are talking 58/60 pounds for the smaller grips and for the 4 1/2 grip and above even 63 or 64 once that for those grips the racket is heavier and the stringing range goes all the way up to 65 pounds (manufacturer recomandation).
This setup of string and tension choice is a crucial one to maximise this little undestood frame from Yonex.

Of course than you have got the usually other facts from the Yonex familly that are:
- a 2 piece stringing setup is better than a single one because of the head shape (so this favours an hybrid setup).
- In a hybrid setup crosses usually at a couple of pounds lower than mains will work better for frame response and feel.

Sorry about the very long introduction of myself and my frame. I think that in order to consult your expertise and expirient advice I need to give you the maximum information about me and the frame so that you can advice me on the better string for my frame and not the one you prefer. Of course I would love opinions about real experience with those strings you talk about and not only because you read about them... as I can also read myself;)
For example, if a string works for you in spectacular way when strung at 50 pounds (but not at higher tensions) it wonīt work for me because my frame requires higher tensions for better performance. You see what I mean? In order to advice me correctly you need to consider everything I wrote above.

Another important aspect is that I realised because of a poor stringing job (usual in my city) and due to the caracteristics of certain strings, I would find the tension to lower dramatically in 2 or 3 weeks when I only played a couple of sessions with it. So with certain strings, the tension of the frame would gradually lower just by siting there. Therefore, a good tension hold is another important consideration in the choice of the string.

So Iīm going to give you the brands that I can manage to get because there are other very popular around here but I know by anticipation that Iīm not going to be abble to get them.
Also consider the fact (and this might be very important to me - just not decided yet what the best way) that in my city I canīt seem to find a good stringer and it drives me crazy! So that is why I will also consider a one piece stringing job and not only 2 (hybrids). If they canīt manage a one piece job... imagine with an hybrid. I know that for Yonex is better the second choice but due to professional lack in this department I donīt know yet if it is really the better solution. This is also why I donīt consider a natural gut all by itself. Because it is expensier and due to the fact that it requires even further skills from the stringer. As around here, ususally, when they ruin a stringing job with nat gut it is always the string fault I wonīt risk even higher costs that the string itself already provides!
If only I had the money I would buy a stringing machine and do it myself! But unfortunetly this lead me to my final consideration... cost! The cost of the string is also important... not by itself but when considering two similar strings in performance I will always go for the cheaper one. That is why I will give you the prices of my options so that you can take this also in your consideration to me. Donīt bother if the price is in Euros... it is only to give a comparison price between them.

So here it goes:

Brands I can manage to find - Topspin, Isospeed, Wilson, Prince, Pacific, Signum Pro, Luxilon, MSV, Tecnifibre, Babolat, Head, Kirschbaum.

Brands I canīt manage to find - Gosen, Laserfibre, Klip, Weiss Cannon.

I see 2 main options:

1) -One string job;
2) - An Hybrid job;

Iīm not sure yet the way to go...

1) As Natural Gut is out of the question here because of its price and afraid that the stringer poor job might damage the string I will only consider Multis since they are softer than other options and within the multis I will give more value to the softer ones.

Multis which includes also synthetic gut;
- Babolat Xcel Power - 18,90€
- Babolat Xcel Premium - 14,99€
- Babolat Addiction - 11,90€
- Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase - 21,50€
- Tecnifibre NRG2 - 17,90€
- Prince Premier with Softlex - 12,50€
- Prince Synth. Gut Duraflex (PSGD) - 7,90€
- Wilson K Gut Pro - 15,89€
- Isospeed Professional - 13,49€

Just a few considerations:
I didnīt inserted Wilson NXT because it was said by many TI80 users that this string just do no work in this frame.
I would not consider as my main choice PSGD only by its price because it looses tension very quickly.
Finally I considered the Babolat addiction also (even if I know it is not the best option) due to the price/quality relation.
For me, from what I read I would choose Babolat Xcel Power if I decide for a multi job. Also because a TI80 user state that for him at 60 pounds it is the best he tried for this frame (besides natural gut of course).
But please.. enlight me more on this multi matter.

2) Hybrid job;

Despite all my fears with Nat gut prices and the problem with stringing it I can only see one option for the mains in the TI80... and that is Natural Gut!
It wonīt be Babolat VS (too expensive - 34,95€) but I canīt manage with 2 other options:

Mains:
- Babolat Tonic - 24,95€
- Pacific Classic Natural Gut - 25,95€

Despite the price I really donīt know which is better in a hybrid.

For crosses I have too options:
Either copoly/poly or multi/synthetic gut. Despite the fact that the poly wonīt work by itself very good in the TI80. In a hybrid Iīm considering it due to tension hold performance. Together with the Natural Gut some sets can hold the tension very well indeed... it seems to be the case with the new Signum Pro copoly:
Crosses:
Copoly/Poly:
- Signum Pro Hyperion - 7,50€
- Signum Pro Tornado - 8,90€
- MSV Focus Hex - 4,90€

Here in terms of price the MSV seems the way to go... but from what I have read Hyperion has power (which I lack) and holds very well. Someone had it working for 5 weeks on a regular base while Babolat Pro-Hurricane only hold 8 hours! Tornado is more about control... which I blieve the TI80 already gives me plenty at 60 pounds.
Please advice...

the Only multi /synth gut I can consider together with Natural gut is PSGD because of the price. Anything else I refered before gets too expensive with Natural gut. But please advice...

Multi/Synth. Gut:
- Prince Synth. Gut with Duraflex - 7,90€

The only issue is that it looses tension quickly... even if less when in a hybrid with Natural Gut. Still for feel, control, power and getting a comfortable hitting at the ball I believe it is a very good option.

So my friends. As you can see I have a few ideas... just not sure about the way to go. If you could be me but with your experience and after considering everything I just wrote... what would you choose to do?

There are obviously other models of strings within the brands I can manage to find. I only considered the ones above because they seemed to me the better options. Please be free to give me other ideas or models that you know about... by experience.

Iīm terribly sorry about the very long post, but please understand. I want the best advice for me... not just an enumeration of your favourite string.
If after reading all this (given you got so far;)) you can still manage to answer me... I will be thrilled and really apreciate your effort and kindness!

Thank you all very much and congratulations to the forum. I follow it for along time and I believe it is a great start for the less enlighted ones like myself.

God bless you all...

Valjean
10-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Babolat's Xcel Power, to start you out.

papatenis
10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Everybody in my family plays with Yonex racquets. Here is the set up for each family memeber;
Me- RDS001 MP-yonex poly tour 125 main 58lbs.,yonex tour super 850 cross 61 lbs.
Wife-RDS003-yonex tour super 850 60lbs. full set
Son-RDS001 MP-same as dad
Daughter-RQIS 1 Tour Light-poly tour 125 main 58lbs., yonex tour super 850 cross 60lbs.
I have found the poly tour 125 to be a decent poly, but the tour super 850 is a excellent "soft multi"

glpsace
10-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Everybody in my family plays with Yonex racquets. Here is the set up for each family memeber;
Me- RDS001 MP-yonex poly tour 125 main 58lbs.,yonex tour super 850 cross 61 lbs.
Wife-RDS003-yonex tour super 850 60lbs. full set
Son-RDS001 MP-same as dad
Daughter-RQIS 1 Tour Light-poly tour 125 main 58lbs., yonex tour super 850 cross 60lbs.
I have found the poly tour 125 to be a decent poly, but the tour super 850 is a excellent "soft multi"

I apreciate your help but that is not a brand I manage to find... so unfortunetly I canīt try it our. Thank you nevertheless.

glpsace
10-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Babolat's Xcel Power, to start you out.

Thank you for your opinion. Could you please elaborate a little more on that? Have you used it? What are your impressions when compared with other multis?

Thank you

glpsace
10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Last week I had my Vantage stringed with PSGD 16 at 57/58 pounds. I had the job done in a hurry with what I had Home (SGD). I wasnīt sure about the tension with the Vantage. I usually play at 55 pounds with it but I knew that PSGD would loose tension quickly so I had it strung at a couple of pounds more.
Today I played with it and I must admit that I felt very disapointed as the frame felt stiffer than usual and the metallic pong was not very nice. After the first hour, the string settled a bit and the feeling started to disapear. Nevertheless after 2 hours of play, that anoying metallic sound never went away.
Curiously I played a couple of minutes with my friends wilson (donīt like the racket) with a Luxilon Alu stringjob that has 2 weeks and a few hours on it.
WOW! The feeling was exactily the oposite. Very cushioned feeling with a perfect pop to the ear. No vibration at all and I felt the frame not to stiff but not too flexible at the same time. I was really impressed with that string! I had never used it before, just heard about it.
Unfortunetly Iīm not sure about its reaction on the TI80 but I guess it is another option to consider. Maybe not in a hybrid since I heard that when on crosses, it has the ability to cout really quickly the softer strings on mains.
Anyway... I was a little disapointed with PSGD as a single job but I will see in the next hours of play if the feeling keeps the same. It can also be a tension problem since Iīm not sure its best performence tension as a single job string.

Thank you for reading.

Valjean
10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Thank you for your opinion. Could you please elaborate a little more on that? Have you used it? What are your impressions when compared with other multis?....
Have I used it? How could I recommend it unless I had? And I thought I was confirming an impression you had already gathered in, from what you said.

Hence I did not think it was necessary to add anything to your own experience.

glpsace
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Have I used it? How could I recommend it unless I had? And I thought I was confirming an impression you had already gathered in, from what you said.

Hence I did not think it was necessary to add anything to your own experience.

Iīm sorry if my answer ofended you in anyway. I assure you that was not my intention at all. I just know (after hundreds of threads read) that, sadly, people wonīt always advice on one experience but on what seems general consensus. I was only checking that since I couldnīt understand it by your answer. Once again please do not feel ofended.
Unfortunetly, as I stated above, 90% of my ideas and own suggestions are purely theoretical and therefore just wanted some real experience feedback. I wish I could have tried 80% of what I spoke... unfortunetly it is the other way around, very little experience from strings since very few are purchasable in my country and only recently started to purchase them online from other countries.
Sorry if I misleaded you... that was not my intention. Thank you once again for your opinion. Iīll keep it in mind.

glpsace
10-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Please, anyone else with some advice?
I was thinking of ordering today and still not sure what to do.... damn!

glpsace
10-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Just nobody wants to give a little help? Wow more than 100 people saw this thread but didnīt care to write anything. Do you know how long it took me to write my first post?;)
fellow players... please, just a little effort...

Gemini
10-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Just nobody wants to give a little help? Wow more than 100 people saw this thread but didnīt care to write anything. Do you know how long it took me to write my first post?;)
fellow players... please, just a little effort...

glpsace,

I've hit with the Yonex RD Ti80 (old and new versions) and I currently use the RDS 002 Tour. For controlled power, I use a hybrid of Tecnifibre Black Code 17 in the mains (51lbs) and Head FXP 16 in the crosses (55lbs). It's comfortable and has very good power in my opinion. If I had to go with just a single string for power I'd choose Tecnifibre X-One Biphase or Babolat Xcel Power. Both are very "powerful" strings from my own experiences with them.

Also, only you will know what's the best string or string combination for you. Other peoples opinions are just that.....opinions.

glpsace
10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
glpsace,

I've hit with the Yonex RD Ti80 (old and new versions) and I currently use the RDS 002 Tour. For controlled power, I use a hybrid of Tecnifibre Black Code 17 in the mains (51lbs) and Head FXP 16 in the crosses (55lbs). It's comfortable and has very good power in my opinion. If I had to go with just a single string for power I'd choose Tecnifibre X-One Biphase or Babolat Xcel Power. Both are very "powerful" strings from my own experiences with them.

Also, only you will know what's the best string or string combination for you. Other peoples opinions are just that.....opinions.

Thank you very much for your opinion. Really apreciate it

zerox277
10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't think strings really make that much of a difference at the lower levels. As long as you have a set tension ( mines 70-75 ) i play the same with any single string. Poly, synthetic gut etc. It's all in your head.

ZhengJieisagoddess
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
You might find more help if you posted this on the YONEX 110% LOYALTY TOUR thread.

glpsace
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't think strings really make that much of a difference at the lower levels. As long as you have a set tension ( mines 70-75 ) i play the same with any single string. Poly, synthetic gut etc. It's all in your head.

This is a very interesting idea. Iīm not sure what you mean by that. Can you please explain it to me a little more?

glpsace
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
You might find more help if you posted this on the YONEX 110% LOYALTY TOUR thread.

What a good idea.

basil J
10-28-2009, 10:44 AM
GLspace I used the TI 80 with great sucess for a little over a year and found that if I used poly, I really inhibited the beautiful capabilities of this frame. I stopped using it due to a shoulder surgery and went to BB11 mid because of the lighter weight and shock absorbing handle system. I used a 4 5/8" grip and found that the frame really shined with full vs gut at 64#. having said that I know that it is cost prohibitive for you. I also used a 17 gauge prince SGD at 62# with great success. I found Gosen and Yonex strings to low powered and poly just made the frame much too harsh.
A good Multi or syntetic gut at 2# over mid tension really will bring out the capabilities of the frame. Good luck with it.

nabbydian
12-29-2009, 04:57 AM
i have finally obtained a Ti80, at the moment it is strung as a hybrid with SPPP in the mains and a technifibre multifilament as the cross.

Have read in other threads about the poly not working too well with the Ti-80, my current string setup always tend to have a poly in it, therefore i'll try and see if my hybrid is able to make me see the best of this great racquet.