PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a viable strategy?

ubermeyer
10-17-2009, 04:46 PM
When closed stance FH- hit eastern grip. When open stance FH- hit semiwestern.

Could this work? The reason is, when you are closed stance it is usually easier to hit an aggressive shot, and when you use eastern grip it is usually easier to hit an aggressive shot. When you hit open stance it is usually easier to put more topspin and hit a consistent shot, and when you hit semiwestern it is usually easier to put more topspin and hit a consistent shot. So it would kind of be doubling the effectiveness. Could this be viable? I'm thinking of trying this to improve my play off the FH side.

Solat
10-17-2009, 05:30 PM
the best strategy would be to move your feet so you never hit in closed stance

Djokovicfan4life
10-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I think he meant neutral. In any case, I would not advise changing grips based purely on your stance.

The_Steak
10-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Could this work? The reason is, when you are closed stance it is usually easier to hit an aggressive shot, and when you use eastern grip it is usually easier to hit an aggressive shot. When you hit open stance it is usually easier to put more topspin and hit a consistent shot, and when you hit semiwestern it is usually easier to put more topspin and hit a consistent shot. So it would kind of be doubling the effectiveness. Could this be viable? I'm thinking of trying this to improve my play off the FH side.

No don't try it. Why not just learn how to hit flat?

volusiano
10-18-2009, 03:38 AM

I think the idea is not bad, but the problem I see is that usually you don't have enough time to decide which stance to use then select your grip after this. To me it's usually the reverse. As soon as I see the ball coming to my forehand, I'd already have to switch to the forehand grip then go chase the ball. The stance is usually the last reaction I take depending on how fast I can get to the ball then the swing comes next. There's just no time to change grip after I establish my stance.

moroni
10-18-2009, 04:05 AM
i do not think that it would be a good strategy because u will probably takr time to decide on grip/ stance and hit late or mess up a stance and its grip just hit open stance and work on footwork

Jay_The_Nomad
10-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Not practical and not practicable.

Not practical because there's no point wasting time conditioning the muscles to hit with different grips in different situations.

Not practicable because it cannot be put into practice: I don't think it's possible for one to use more than 1 FH grip effectively (outside of serve and the volley). Of course, there might be some freaks out there who can master the use of two grounds stroke grips efficiently, but such talent would be better channeled towards other areas of improvement (see Not practical section).

Falloutjr
10-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Not practical and not practicable.

Not practical because there's no point wasting time conditioning the muscles to hit with different grips in different situations.

Not practicable because it cannot be put into practice: I don't think it's possible for one to use more than 1 FH grip effectively (outside of serve and the volley). Of course, there might be some freaks out there who can master the use of two grounds stroke grips efficiently, but such talent would be better channeled towards other areas of improvement (see Not practical section).

QFT. There's a reason pros don't use more than one forehand on a regular basis. They've mastered that grip and it's what got them there. If you change grips based on the situation, you WILL think.

Time to hit the ball = Time to think + Time to react

When you spend more time thinking, you have less time to react. Then when you miss the ball that you missed because you were thinking, you start thinking "Oh my, how did I miss a ball like that" and it's a very bad habit to get into.

My recommendation: Go western like everyone else. You hit the ball up at the opponent's chest all day, they're bound to miss a few.

ubermeyer
10-18-2009, 09:24 AM
My recommendation: Go western like everyone else. You hit the ball up at the opponent's chest all day, they're bound to miss a few.

who is this everyone else?

the rest of advice is good advice i guess... but i hate hitting western. my wrist feels like *blank* and when I tried hitting western they were 10 ft high shots that land in the middle of the court, 1 ft past the net. I don't like it.

ubermeyer
10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
the best strategy would be to move your feet so you never hit in closed stance

???
closed stance is good i thought. if it works on the 2HBH, why not on the forehand?

Falloutjr
10-18-2009, 09:36 AM
who is this everyone else?

the rest of advice is good advice i guess... but i hate hitting western. my wrist feels like *blank* and when I tried hitting western they were 10 ft high shots that land in the middle of the court, 1 ft past the net. I don't like it.

Maybe you're not swinging through with your wrist enough. When I hit with it, I let my wrist generate the upward force. I drop my racquet very low and then snap my wrist back upwards towards my left shoulder it makes my balls clear the net my 3 or 4 feet behind the service line and hit the fence at about 3 feet in the air so I think it's quite effective. Topspin is the most effective shot someone can develop, next to a quality serve, if you ask me. But since you're not, it's kind of irrelevant.

The worst thing you can do it try to play outside yourself. There are certain things you're just more comfortable with as an athlete, and you should take ownership of them and use them to the best of your abilities and use those abilities to diminish things you may not be so comfortable with.

Falloutjr
10-18-2009, 09:39 AM
???
closed stance is good i thought. if it works on the 2HBH, why not on the forehand?

It's a balance thing. 2hbh essentially requires a closed stance, but 1h is very, very open. I remember watching film of myself once and when I hit forehands, my feet are at least 3 feet apart. You can't generate the body rotation to create the spin with a closed stance. If you tried, you'd probably fall over.

GuyClinch
10-18-2009, 10:04 AM
This is a crazy strategy. You should be turning your shoulders and changing your grip ASAP (soon as you figure what side its going too). But exactly what stance you hit out of - isn't something that you can figure out exactly till you hit the ball..IMHO.

Pete

LuckyR
10-18-2009, 10:19 AM

I agree with the advice of sticking to a single stroke type. Having said that, I do exactly what you suggest, within the confines of a very narrow situation. Namely, I have a closed stance, Eastern grip FH, which is what I learned back during the Golden Age of tennis, it serves me well, even against Modern players, however there are situations when I hit very high FHs where I make a conscious decision to switch to a SW forehand and will use an open stance.

ubermeyer
10-18-2009, 11:00 AM
You can't generate the body rotation to create the spin with a closed stance. If you tried, you'd probably fall over.

But that's the thing, you'd be hitting pretty flat with the closed stance/EFH. At least, I would be. that's the whole point.

boojay
10-18-2009, 12:22 PM
???

You're correct. Not sure why he thought you should be hitting nothing but open stance. Open stance came about because of the speed of the game. Balls come so fast that players don't have time to set up closed stance and adapted by utilizing the open stance. Open stance allows for more winding and unwinding of the body (rotational force/topspin), but closed stance allows for more drive and forward movement (linear force/attacking). You don't see too many guys hitting an approach shot open stanced. Given adequate time, I generally try to set up for a closed stance, although when I'm lazy or on defense I go open stance.

Djokovicfan4life
10-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Again, Ubermeyer, I think you are talking about a NEUTRAL stance. A closed stance forehand is just not practical.

ubermeyer
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Again, Ubermeyer, I think you are talking about a NEUTRAL stance. A closed stance forehand is just not practical.

could you explain this? I have never heard of the word "neutral stance" used before

:confused:

Solat
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
from our wonderful friends at FYB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpt_2rSvSS8

ubermeyer
10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
okay, I suppose I am talking about a neutral stance then, though it is generally referred to as a closed stance by everyone else i know...

anyway, I tried this in practice... it worked! I actually used open stance but eastern for high balls, and lo and behold i could crack my FH a bit harder. for approach shots I used neutral/semiwestern, like usual, and for regular forehands mostly open/semiwestern, with random eastern forehands thrown in to hit winners off easy balls. it's easier to counter punch this way, I find...

10-21-2009, 06:42 AM
okay, I suppose I am talking about a neutral stance then, though it is generally referred to as a closed stance by everyone else i know...

anyway, I tried this in practice... it worked! I actually used open stance but eastern for high balls, and lo and behold i could crack my FH a bit harder. for approach shots I used neutral/semiwestern, like usual, and for regular forehands mostly open/semiwestern, with random eastern forehands thrown in to hit winners off easy balls. it's easier to counter punch this way, I find...

Open stance is best because it facilitates accelerating up and across the ball.
I go more eastern for lower balls and semi western more for higher contact points.
I would suggest you hit open stance or partial open when possible, and not get as much under the ball when you need to hit flatter.

defrule
10-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I hit closed stance forehands when I'm running to my forehand side for a shot.