PDA

View Full Version : Outer string layer coming off?

Can't think of a name
10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
This is what it looked like after about 3 or 4 hours of hitting :/ . The tiny bundles of strings inside each string are exposed. Anyone else ever have this problem? Or is it just a bad string?.....
(Ashaway Dynamite string)
http://i35.tinypic.com/20ruyow.jpg
:confused:

meowmix
10-17-2009, 07:41 PM
1. Nice racket :)

2. What you're experiencing is called "fraying". Literally, the string is "fraying", and is coming apart due to wear on the string. Fraying occurs with all strings that have many fillaments (or rather, don't have a solid single core). Such strings include multis (which is what you have), and natural guts.

Oh, and if you string your own rackets, make sure you make your tie offs a little shorter/cleaner. Looks more professional that way.

zidane339
10-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Is that a giant crack at 2 oclock?

Ronaldo
10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
1. Nice racket :)

2. What you're experiencing is called "fraying". Literally, the string is "fraying", and is coming apart due to wear on the string. Fraying occurs with all strings that have many fillaments (or rather, don't have a solid single core). Such strings include multis (which is what you have), and natural guts.

Oh, and if you string your own rackets, make sure you make your tie offs a little shorter/cleaner. Looks more professional that way.

Fraying? Looks like cabbage leaves a peeling! Looks like Kimchi!

meowmix
10-17-2009, 08:33 PM

That's what I thought. And as for the Kimchi, well, at least it's still alive.

Can't think of a name
10-17-2009, 08:38 PM
1. Nice racket

Thanks for the input. Never again the multifillament strings...never again. I leave the tied off parts long cause I had a bad experience with clipping it too short one time :(.
Well I wouldn't call it a GIANT crack...but then again I don't have very high standards for my equipment. I don't find it bothersome....so i will just keep using the racquet till there is a complete frame failure :)

smack that
10-17-2009, 08:40 PM
yeah its probaly fraying

alidisperanza
10-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Lol, good spot on the crack, I was distracted by the flapping kimchi. Looks like you picked at it =] ( I do the same thing... I'm terrible with fraying gut).

It's ok, It's normal. Some strings are worse than others. If you find it to be too bothersome just trim it down. I've heard (don't quote me on this) that hairspray sometimes helps keep it all together.

None the less, wicked picture... the inside filaments look really cool!

PS. Welcome to the Rage-against-multi-group!

Can't think of a name
10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Lol, good spot on the crack, I was distracted by the flapping kimchi. Looks like you picked at it =] ( I do the same thing... I'm terrible with fraying gut).

It's ok, It's normal. Some strings are worse than others. If you find it to be too bothersome just trim it down. I've heard (don't quote me on this) that hairspray sometimes helps keep it all together.

None the less, wicked picture... the inside filaments look really cool!

PS. Welcome to the Rage-against-multi-group!
Thats the thing...I didn't pick at it at all, and it looks like that. I have had some fraying before but nothing like this. Its not just frayed...but the whole outer layer came off, so the filaments are free to move around. Luckily I only ordered a couple pairs of those strings...

alidisperanza
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Could just be a defective batch...Who knows?

Richie Rich
10-18-2009, 06:38 PM
that's just how it is with some strings.

OMGOAT
10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
did you play with wet balls or something?

OHBH
10-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I would think they should snap before being able to look like that. I learn something new every day

meowmix
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Thats the thing...I didn't pick at it at all, and it looks like that. I have had some fraying before but nothing like this. Its not just frayed...but the whole outer layer came off, so the filaments are free to move around. Luckily I only ordered a couple pairs of those strings...

You can always trade them for something else in the FS/FT section. I'm sure somebody would be willing to trade you something else for them since you don't seem to really like the dynamite.

lenderbender
10-20-2009, 04:39 AM
haha i'm in a similar position. use PSGD string always shreds right down to the inner core before breaking.

mikeler
10-20-2009, 05:29 AM
haha i'm in a similar position. use PSGD string always shreds right down to the inner core before breaking.

PSGD with a Big Ace hybrid frays like crazy.