PDA

View Full Version : what is the correct stringing tension for wilson pro staff 6.0?

jmnk
10-17-2009, 08:03 PM
i happen to have wilson pro staff 6.0 85sq. the sticker on the racket reads: 'String at 65-70 lbs'. But all sites giving stringing info, including wilson site (http://www.wilson.com/wilson/racq/string_instr.jsp) say the range is 50-60 lbs. So which is it?

JoelDali
10-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Depends on the string, depends on you.

Tighter is better.

:)

jmnk
10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Depends on the string, depends on you.

Tighter is better.

:)

well, if the recommended range is indeed 50-60 that stringing at 70 is probably not a good idea, is it?

Keifers
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
i happen to have wilson pro staff 6.0 85sq. the sticker on the racket reads: 'String at 65-70 lbs'. But all sites giving stringing info, including wilson site (http://www.wilson.com/wilson/racq/string_instr.jsp) say the range is 50-60 lbs. So which is it?
Early Pro Staff Mids had the 65-70 tension range. Higher recommended tensions were common in those days (60-70 for Prince Graphite 90s).

I'm guessing your racquet doesn't have 6.0 printed on it...just says Pro Staff Midsize -- is that right?

Check out this web page for tons of good information:

http://thetenniswiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wilson+Pro+Staff+6.0+Original+Mid+8 5

jmnk
10-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Early Pro Staff Mids had the 65-70 tension range. Higher recommended tensions were common in those days (60-70 for Prince Graphite 90s).

I'm guessing your racquet doesn't have 6.0 printed on it...just says Pro Staff Midsize -- is that right?

Check out this web page for tons of good information:

http://thetenniswiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wilson+Pro+Staff+6.0+Original+Mid+8 5
thanks. Yes, I've seen this page - thus the confusion. Why wilson's stringing page does not differentiate between versions of pro staff if they indeed have different stringing range? and yes, i have the one that has only 'Pro staff Midsize' label.

tigerstring
10-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Most people stung up the old school sticks at very high tensions when playing with a full synthetic guy set up. Tensions have come down a lot since Co-Polys came into vogue. Higher tensions will lead to a shorter racket life (ever seen a POG crack on a volley?). There is no single right tension that everyone should string at. Experiment and find the way you like it.

jmnk
10-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Most people stung up the old school sticks at very high tensions when playing with a full synthetic guy set up. Tensions have come down a lot since Co-Polys came into vogue. Higher tensions will lead to a shorter racket life (ever seen a POG crack on a volley?). There is no single right tension that everyone should string at. Experiment and find the way you like it.
thanks. interesting. I've always thought that a given racket has a recommended range of tension which means that regardless of the string it is always safe to string a given racket within this range. Obviously, since the range is usually 10-15lbs it is player's preference and/or string type where exactly (but within the range) to string.
so you are saying that essentially pro staff 6.0 85sq stringing range is 50-75? and it is just that wilson used to recommend 65-70 but now leans toward 50-60? However stringing at 70 would still be safe?
about cracking a racket - i never thought of it. And i did crack two i.prestige rackets over the years, now that i think of it both on the volleys indeed. i thought they had a defect, i would never really expect a racket to just crack under normal usage. head gladly sent me replacement after i inquired.

tigerstring
10-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Stringing at 70 would in fact probably be 'safe'. You're racket won't automatically crack, though stringing that high tension will put more pressure on the frame. It may over time reduce the overall life of the racket. One of my players was at a future in Georgia a few years ago, and the stringer there was hitting about 15 pounds tight. (They calibrated it after the a few guys got boards back from him). One player requested a racket strung at 65 and it actually cracked on the stringer, becuase it was really being strung around 80.

Now as for rackets cracking under 'normal' use. Normal wear and tear is pretty different for a college tennis player than for even the most punishing 4.5-5.0s (unless they have a temper). The rackets that I've seen crack the most often without actually being abused are the POG (strung in the 70s), the Head prestige in all it's incarnations, and the Babolat Pure storm tours. I haven't had much experience with the Pro Staff, so I can't for sure comment on what the high tensions will do to the Pro Staff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the recommended tension, after all it's just a recommendation. Like I said before, find the tension that you like and ignore whatever anyone on this board says about this racket at this tension with this string. It's up to you 100%

goosala
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
The early production frames did read 55-65 lbs. then the later production Taiwanese and Chinese ones read 50-60 lbs. I would not string it tighter than 65 lbs. because that is extremely tight already. The lowest I have personally strung it was 54 lbs. which gives it pretty good trampolining.