PDA

View Full Version : I switched to the 2hbh. Any tips?

ogruskie
10-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Whenever I hit the ball, it goes over the net but lands in the service box (I hit from the baseline). How do I get more depth on the 2hbh?

Golden Retriever
10-17-2009, 10:57 PM
get under the ball more and hit upwards more. It is harder for 2handers to get under the ball.

ogruskie
10-17-2009, 10:59 PM
get under the ball more and hit upwards more. It is harder for 2handers to get under the ball.

How should my follow-through be like once I make contact with the ball? Should I bend my elbows so that the racquet goes over my right shoulder?

Golden Retriever
10-17-2009, 11:02 PM
If you hit upward more, your follow through will go over your shoulder naturally. Of course, when you want to flatten out your shot, your follow-through might be lower than your right shoulder.

makinao
10-18-2009, 03:14 AM
I don't know how to explain this clearly in words, but to get under the ball with lots of topspin, the racquet head starts low, with the non-dominant hand lower that the dominant hand. At impact, the non dominant hand pulls up suddenly. So it's rather easy for me to "get under" the ball. In fact, I find it easier to hit a high/deep topspin approach shot and offensive lob on my 2hb than on on my forehand.

sawedust
10-18-2009, 03:44 AM
A two-handed backhand is essentially a left-handed forehand.

If you're hitting topspin on your forehand wing and you are consistent in doing so, you can think of the 2HBH as a mirror of your forehand.

It may be difficult if you have long, loopy strokes, but for those with compact swings this advice seems to help in transitioning to a 2HBH.

wyutani
10-18-2009, 04:05 AM
lol. my answer to this is "DUN!"

lol, why switch? 1 bh is so much better.

anyway, switching to 2 bh is easy. concentrate ur power on the left hand. might be good to play left handed fh once in the while.

ryangoring
10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
NOOOOOOOO! We have lost another person to the that 2HBH!!!!
Why would you wanna switch?

Roy125
10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Hit through the ball more.

boojay
10-18-2009, 01:42 PM
My tip: go back to the one-hander. ;)

soyizgood
10-18-2009, 02:08 PM
You need to use more of your legs. Transfer the weight on to the front foot by leaning a bit forward and prior to contact. The hip turn then naturally propels you to turning your back foot forward. Also, to hit the ball deep and/or generate topspin is not that difficult. It's kind of an opposite hand forehand, but you'll probably want to hit the 2HBH in a neutral stance for the majority of your shots.

ogruskie
10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
lol. my answer to this is "DUN!"

lol, why switch? 1 bh is so much better.

anyway, switching to 2 bh is easy. concentrate ur power on the left hand. might be good to play left handed fh once in the while.

NOOOOOOOO! We have lost another person to the that 2HBH!!!!
Why would you wanna switch?

My tip: go back to the one-hander. ;)

A 2hbh is more stable. It lets me hit high topspin balls kicking to my shoulders as well as very low bouncing ones. With a 1hbh I could only hit mid-low balls. Plus my 1hbh wasn't consistent at all. The 2hbh is just more forgiving and lets me hit a ball at any height.

boojay
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM
A 2hbh is more stable. It lets me hit high topspin balls kicking to my shoulders as well as very low bouncing ones. With a 1hbh I could only hit mid-low balls. Plus my 1hbh wasn't consistent at all. The 2hbh is just more forgiving and lets me hit a ball at any height.

Fair enough. Whatever floats your boat, bro.

ogruskie
10-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Fair enough. Whatever floats your boat, bro.

Yeah, my timing is much better too. The 1hbh takes a lot of skill and I don't think I'm at that level. When it works, it works good, but most of the time my 1hbh sucks.

volusiano
10-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Do you have a 1hbh slice? That should take care of high deep top spin balls. You need to develop it any way even with a 2hbh. So you slice on the high ball and use 1hbh for short or medium height balls. I'm a 1hbh player but I occasionally use 2hbh strokes to take the ball on the rise especially when the ball comes really deep near the base line and I have no time to react.

sgrv
10-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I have read comments on this thread and others saying that 2HBH is a forehand hit with left arm and right arm provides support. I have been trying to do this for a while, but the shot is not consistent. On mid-court balls, it either goes long or has little power leading to a weak shot or falls into the net. There's a few aspects about 2nBH in general that puzzle me, could you please provide input.

1. Low-High motion - The racquet head speed is significantly lower than my WW forehand. Is this expected? If not, how to gain speed?

2. Due to lower racquet speed, there is less margin for error in comparison to WW FH. I hit the ball flatter. Do I need to live with the fact that power is going to be harder to control, hence hit a little softer?

3. Because power is supposed to come from weaker (generally) left hand, it will be definitely less than right hand. Hence, is it natural to expect 2hbh to be less explosive than WW FH?

PS: I am a leftie. I have cited the above examples from rightie's perspective for easier explanation and comprehension

soyizgood
10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I have read comments on this thread and others saying that 2HBH is a forehand hit with left arm and right arm provides support. I have been trying to do this for a while, but the shot is not consistent. On mid-court balls, it either goes long or has little power leading to a weak shot or falls into the net. There's a few aspects about 2nBH in general that puzzle me, could you please provide input.

1. Low-High motion - The racquet head speed is significantly lower than my WW forehand. Is this expected? If not, how to gain speed?

2. Due to lower racquet speed, there is less margin for error in comparison to WW FH. I hit the ball flatter. Do I need to live with the fact that power is going to be harder to control, hence hit a little softer?

3. Because power is supposed to come from weaker (generally) left hand, it will be definitely less than right hand. Hence, is it natural to expect 2hbh to be less explosive than WW FH?

PS: I am a leftie. I have cited the above examples from rightie's perspective for easier explanation and comprehension

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-master-the-double-handed-backhand

wyutani
10-19-2009, 12:25 AM
i dunno, im pretty short. 5'9 the most? so i do need my one hander for reach. sometimes.

Cindysphinx
10-19-2009, 08:56 AM
When my 2HBH is falling short, I focus on getting more extension, really taking the swing long and out through to the target, but still finishing over the opposite shoulder. Makes a big difference.

The other thing that can make my ball fall short unintentionally is choking up on the grip. So I also try to keep an eye on that to make sure I'm not choking up.