PDA

View Full Version : Forehands and Backhands (video)

william
10-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Please critique my groundstrokes. Skip to 42 seconds in video, and yes I know my footwork isn't that good, I was being lazy!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPvveeHjIuo

MakeSenseNotBabies
10-18-2009, 06:10 AM
with your backhand, i think you're trying to pose and look a certain way, instead of worrying about what to do with the ball. not constructive criticism, i know. but i had to put that out there.

william
10-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Fair enough but that is genuinely how I hit my backhand, I was focussing on the result not my technique as I wanted to see what my technique was like! Any advice would be much appreciated!

ryangoring
10-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Question: Why the hell are you just crushing the ball, forehand, all the time in stead of getting a good rally going so we can REALLY see your technique and shot making ability.
The whole one ball thing was getting to be a bit boring.

Frankauc
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
i dont think the girl in the vid can rally....

ZhengJieisagoddess
10-18-2009, 12:38 PM
First and foremost, thank you for posting this on here for all and sundry to critique it. That takes guts.
Now I am by no means an accomplished player. I am picking up the game at 48 yrs old again after hacking around in college. So take my comments with that proverbial grain of salt. It would help to know where your shots were landing, so we would not looking at your strokes in isolation. But given that this is not the case, we do the best with what we have. On your forehand, you are taking back your racquet way too far and looping it. This is fine for the pros: they have hours to perfect their timing. But you're probably suffering in accuracy for taking such a loopy backswing. This is probably the single greatest adjustment that I have had to make in leaarning the game anew.
On your backhand, you are not turning enough. Your back should be facing your opponent so that, if she or he were to be looking to see your name on the back of your shirt, they could see it. Here, too your backswing is more than it probably should be. Most significantly, your racquet-head is above the ball on your backhand. If you started with a shorter backswing that had the racquet head dipping considerably lower, you would be getting more backspin on this shot. Look at some old pics of Borg's two-hander, and compare where his racquet head is with a still from this video. Very different. Granted, his is a two-hander, but the physics of topspin are the same.
The second benefit of a shorter backswing is that it more easily enables you to accelerate the racquet JUST before the racquet meets the ball. It appears that you are doing this already, but it's hard to say for sure.
It also seems like your legs are not putting anything into your shots. They are your base.

boojay
10-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Question: Why the hell are you just crushing the ball, forehand, all the time in stead of getting a good rally going so we can REALLY see your technique and shot making ability.
The whole one ball thing was getting to be a bit boring.

Firstly, I've gotta say your technique looks pretty friggin' solid, however, as this poster mentioned, it was very annoying watching you crush nothing but winners. I hope that was the purpose of the drill (i.e. that lady feeding you balls and you hitting winners off of them) because if it wasn't, you'd be the most annoying person to hit with. Every ball was hit to you, and it looked like you were trying to smack them as hard as you could without worrying about where it went. Again, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't trying to rally and were just cranking the ball. It looked good, but in a match situation where you don't get easy balls like that to attack, you'd be a heap of trouble.

william
10-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah i only had my dad to feed in slow balls, so it was just purely to look at technique. As they were slow I was hitting them fairly hard but not that I didn't care where they went, apart from the couple that went in the net they all went in the court and were well placed. Sorry I couldn't provide some rally balls, I didn't have anyone to hit with!

william
10-18-2009, 03:56 PM
It looked good, but in a match situation where you don't get easy balls like that to attack, you'd be a heap of trouble.

Don't quite see how you came to that conclusion???

Blake0
10-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Your technique looks alright..but on your backhand you seem to lose balance quite easily..(or looks like you could loose balance if you were on the run or rushed or something).

lancernrg
10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Please critique my groundstrokes. Skip to 42 seconds in video, and yes I know my footwork isn't that good, I was being lazy!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPvveeHjIuo

You need to switch to a different racquet, the current racquet you are using is too demanding for you. You are not worthy of it.

Here's a better alternative for you.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/lancernrg/SBOB19JR-1.jpg

:oops:

ryangoring
10-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Firstly, I've gotta say your technique looks pretty friggin' solid, however, as this poster mentioned, it was very annoying watching you crush nothing but winners. I hope that was the purpose of the drill (i.e. that lady feeding you balls and you hitting winners off of them) because if it wasn't, you'd be the most annoying person to hit with. Every ball was hit to you, and it looked like you were trying to smack them as hard as you could without worrying about where it went. Again, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't trying to rally and were just cranking the ball. It looked good, but in a match situation where you don't get easy balls like that to attack, you'd be a heap of trouble.
Thank you!

Don't quite see how you came to that conclusion???
Well William, all we can see is what you have in the video, so by OUR perception on how we see the video, we hope you don't play like that when you're in a real match situation.
Your strokes looks good, very sound and very capable strokes you have, but it would have been better to have seen them in a rally or a game. Just to see how you play when it counts the most.

william
10-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah I completely agree, obviously I will hit the ball like that if I get a short ball in a match, but most of the time it is different. As I said I didn't have a hitting partner so all I could try and do is look at attacking shots from a technical perspective.

william
10-19-2009, 12:07 AM
You need to switch to a different racquet, the current racquet you are using is too demanding for you. You are not worthy of it.

Here's a better alternative for you.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/lancernrg/SBOB19JR-1.jpg

:oops:

Yeah, very funny!!

wyutani
10-19-2009, 01:07 AM
isnt that a junoirs racquet?

AlexTennisAllDayLong
10-19-2009, 06:36 AM
yeah crushing a balll for no reason is fked up lol, she must hate you

william
10-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Well actually it was my dad feeding them in, whatever i did he would struggle so i might as well do what I would do normally.

10-19-2009, 09:22 AM
swing is too flat for consistency or good topspin from the baseline.