PDA

View Full Version : Need String with Little Less Power and more control than X-1. Any suggestions ?

Fedace
10-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I love the X-1 biphase. GREAT power and nice control but with the air drying out with cooler fall season coming in. with Dry air, the balls tend to fly more. so need string with little more control than X-1 but with just as much power or Slightly less power. Please recommend...:)

Richie Rich
10-18-2009, 06:42 PM
a person of your talent should be able to think of something suitable pretty quickly

Fedace
10-18-2009, 06:43 PM
a person of your talent should be able to think of something suitable pretty quickly

I have, i just needed some opinions.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
I actually have good ideas when it comes to Technifibre, but am little ignorant when it comes to other brands of multi.

steebo
10-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I only used X-1 once, so I can't really compare, but I try new strings and always go back to WeissCannon Explosive. For me, it moves less than most multi's and lasts much longer than any other. I am a fairly chronic string breaker, and this suits my topspin game without going to a stiff poly.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I only used X-1 once, so I can't really compare, but I try new strings and always go back to WeissCannon Explosive. For me, it moves less than most multi's and lasts much longer than any other. I am a fairly chronic string breaker, and this suits my topspin game without going to a stiff poly.

I hybrid with Proline2. so i am not using full multi job. Does explosive go well with polys ? does it have good ball pocketing, and decent power ?

ClubHoUno
10-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Try the Xcel Power - not the Xcel Premium.

Or go with the best - Babolat VS Natty Gut :D

ayuname
10-18-2009, 09:09 PM
String higher?

Fedace
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
String higher?

Actually tried this and something very odd happened. With X-1 higher tension you go, less ball pocketing it has so harder it is to attain spin. so i find it harder to get topspin when i serve with X-1 at higher tension.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Doesn't Xcel power have Super power string ??

Steve Huff
10-18-2009, 10:19 PM
About anything that tightens up the stringbed to give you less power is going to have less ball pocketing. To get this, you'll probably have to go with a natural gut. Even a 15L gut will probably give you more ball pocketing than what you're using. It will still have most of the power, but you should be able to control it better.

film1
10-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Seriously, I would just bump up the tension about 5 pounds, you will have a little more control and a little less power.
X-1 is very good.

Meaghan
10-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Seriously, I would just bump up the tension about 5 pounds, you will have a little more control and a little less power.
X-1 is very good.

I agree ^^^^
x1 is a great string and about the best out there. Also lower a gauge point 16 is nice on the x1. The only problem with it is in a full bed it goes off pretty quick and its a costly string.
Im in the UK and recently (accidently) stumbled upon a multi that has everything x1 has with even more feel and is so cheap (2.50 a string, 30 a reel!!) Ive moved to that multi. If your willing to buy from UK let me know and I'll put you intouch with the guy.

Fedace what racket do you use?

Fedace
10-19-2009, 02:56 AM
I agree ^^^^
x1 is a great string and about the best out there. Also lower a gauge point 16 is nice on the x1. The only problem with it is in a full bed it goes off pretty quick and its a costly string.
Im in the UK and recently (accidently) stumbled upon a multi that has everything x1 has with even more feel and is so cheap (2.50 a string, 30 a reel!!) Ive moved to that multi. If your willing to buy from UK let me know and I'll put you intouch with the guy.

i use Yonex RQIS tour-1 and tour-2. i use both depending on singles or doubles. what brand is this multi ? i hope it isn't a gimmick string ?

Fedace
10-19-2009, 02:58 AM
About anything that tightens up the stringbed to give you less power is going to have less ball pocketing. To get this, you'll probably have to go with a natural gut. Even a 15L gut will probably give you more ball pocketing than what you're using. It will still have most of the power, but you should be able to control it better.

Which natural gut ? does natural gut come in 18 G ? i Re-string the racket after about 2-3 matches. that is about every week. Gut can get kind of expensive if you do this.

fuzz nation
10-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I've alternated X-1 and thinner 17 gauge syn. gut in the same frame. The multifibers seem to be right for softer racquets that are inherently more mellow, but I find the next step down in the resilience scale to be the syn. guts. In a frame with a bit more backbone and that extra pop that comes with it, the multi's seem to be too lively unless they're strung a whole lot tighter, so I get good results with the synthetics.

I almost always use LaserFibre strings, but I'll always love Prince's original stuff without the Duraflex - there are a bunch of others, too. The thin syn. gut has a degree of softness for me, I can dial it in without huge changes in tension, and I think it provides a little better bite, control, and predictability for me. I use Volkl C10's these days which run fine for me with syn. gut, but I also liked it in my stiffer ProStaffs, too. Multi's in those frames never seemed to be a good pairing for me.

I don't mind thinner strings which might be less durable since I string my own. Something that also seems to work well as the weather cools off at this time of year is keeping one frame strung a few pounds looser so that it has a similar amount of give out there in the cold as my regular setup that I'll use inside where it's warmer.

steebo
10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
It does pocket nicely. I am not a big poly fan, so I have not used it as a hybrid except with BigBanger rough in the mains. To me all polys start out great, but feel horrible pretty quickly

ClubHoUno
10-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Doesn't Xcel power have Super power string ??

No, not in MY view.

The Xcel Power, being a multi string, will of course generate more power for for instancea regular poly user, but when I tested the X1 last summer, I tested 5 bags of the red X1, which sucked, and then 5 bags of the natural colored X1, which clearky was the best of the two.

I tested a full bed of X1, an X1 hybrid with SPPPP, Prince Recoil and a hybrid with Luxilon Alu BB Power.

While the X1 performed good for me, I just seemed to loose a bit of control, even if strung @ 60 lbs.

But as soon as I tested the Xcel Power string in the same hybrids and in a full bed, I just liked the Xcel Power better. More crispness, better control (even though it's called power) and slightly better tension maintenance compared to the X1.

So overall a better multi for my game.

My favorite multi is still the Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock, but Laserfibre is a company, that everyone should avoid supporting with their poor customers service, so now Xcel Power is my overall favorite multi. I've tested all the more expensive multis, and this is MY FAVORITE.

If you feel you need more control and end up not liking the Xcel Power, then why not use a hybrid of X1 and SPPPP or Signum Hyperion/Tornado to tame the power of the multi a bit and get better control ?

The tension stability will be the same, because if you don't break the X1 within 8-10 hours, it dies on you anyway - probaly before the Signum polys will :D

I will still recommend Babolat VS NATURAL GUT, because you can just up the tension 3-4 lbs to gain more control, as long as you don't pass the 68-70 lbs mark, and the VS GUT will give you more control and still play very nice. If you don't break strings faster than 12-15 hours, the price for the expensive VS gut is not that high if you take this fact into the equation.

You could also try a VS nat gut hybrid with a good CoPoly - test if you prefer the CoPoly in the mains og in the crosses - I like it both ways, and have VS TEAM 17 in the crosses/Signum Tornado in the mains in two of my racquets and VS TOUCH 16 in the mains/Signum Hyperion in the crosses in two other of my racquets.

I can't decide what I prefer, so I keep both hybrids and change depending on how I feel that day.

For tourneys, of course you need to settle on one hybrid solution, but hybrid testing is good fun, believe me :D

smack that
10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
natural gut

JackB1
10-29-2009, 07:26 AM

What is wrong with Xcel Premium? Won't that be softer than Xcel power?

Valjean
10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I love the X-1 biphase. GREAT power and nice control but with the air drying out with cooler fall season coming in. with Dry air, the balls tend to fly more. so need string with little more control than X-1 but with just as much power or Slightly less power. Please recommend...:)
Tecnifibre's XR3, now.

DavidGarcia
10-30-2009, 12:53 AM
I agree ^^^^

Send me a private message. I am in Ireland and interested in testing this string which you are talking about.

ClubHoUno
10-30-2009, 09:58 PM
What is wrong with Xcel Premium? Won't that be softer than Xcel power?

To me the Xcel Premium feels too mushy and not as crisp as ther Xcel power.
Nothing wrong with Xcel premium, but it's an inferior string to Xcel Power in my view :)

JackB1
10-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Nothing wrong with Xcel premium, but it's an inferior string to Xcel Power in my view :)

I guess I can try one of each in my 2 Yonex's and see if I can tell a difference?

KenC
10-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Yesterday I hit with a new full bed of MultiFeel 17g. It reminded my of X1 in feel but is slightly less powered and offers more control. Comfy too.

Kick Serve 14
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
if you haven't made up your mind already, try Head Rip Perfect Control

Valjean
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Are you aware that Xcel was just modified and reissued to provide better durability and control?

liftlobby2
11-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Are you aware that Xcel was just modified and reissued to provide better durability and control?

i didnt know that! serious?

Valjean
11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Note the two versions separate listings here, for instance: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Fedace
11-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Note the two versions separate listings here, for instance: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

very nice info. how come it doesn't have the weight of the strings as well
?

Jakedasnake
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Great list, just bummed that TW doesn't carry Prince More Feel. 138 looks like it's gonna be great. Kinda funny that K Gut Pro is so low in stiffnes considering some people call it "poly-like" :)

ClubHoUno
11-23-2009, 09:46 PM

No, how do you know that ?

Maybe the new modification involved giving the Xcel Premium a new coating, which makes the Xcel Power feel better and more crisp - don't know, can only say how I feel about it from playing with it.

v205
11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Try Multifeel as it has some similiarity with X-1s' feel and less power due to to the inner poly core.

I have tried X1/Multifeel hybrid but prefer full X1 due to better consistency in response and spin.

rich s
11-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Dude....it's in your head...... cold air is denser than warm air AND dry air is denser than moist air.....

denser air does not make the ball "fly" more.

whatever it is that you are experiencing and blaming on cold dry air is all mental.

Valjean
11-25-2009, 12:42 PM
No, how do you know that ?

Maybe the new modification involved giving the Xcel Premium a new coating, which makes the Xcel Power feel better and more crisp - don't know, can only say how I feel about it from playing with it.
Well, because it was well-publicized at the time, and for a while the new packages said something like "New for 2008." Even if you look at the current package on TW now, it only says "Xcel;" the "Premium" has been dropped--though for the sake of continuity, I guess, TW continues to call the product Xcel Premium!

And, here is the USRSA lab test list, which has both versions on it: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html.

If you look at Babolat's own ratings on packages of both the new Xcel then, and Xcel Power, you can see what difference you can expect from their standpoint.

ClubHoUno
11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Well, because it was well-publicized at the time, and for a while the new packages said something like "New for 2008." Even if you look at the current package on TW now, it only says "Xcel;" the "Premium" has been dropped--though for the sake of continuity, I guess, TW continues to call the product Xcel Premium!

And, here is the USRSA lab test list, which has both versions on it: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html.

If you look at Babolat's own ratings on packages of both the new Xcel then, and Xcel Power, you can see what difference you can expect from their standpoint.

No matter what, the Xcel Power feels more crisp than the old Xcel Premium did and it also has a slightly higher stiffness rating based on the link you provided. They both have EXCELLENT tension maintenance ratings - and to me plays better than any other Multi string, I've had the pleasure of testning (besides the Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Prostock) :D

I even prefer it to all the X-One versions/gauges, because it plays crisp from start to finish, while the X-One starts out as stiff feeling, then turn softer and softer.

Think I'll have to test the GREAT K-Gut PRO once again though, I've head it plays like a stiff poly some where :p