PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who Is DONE?

GasquetGOAT
10-18-2009, 05:08 PM
The big boys were letting him have it by either not entering or pulling out, what does he do? He disappoint!:mad::rolleyes:

Should have retired after the AO on a high like Pete!:twisted:

IvanAndreevich
10-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Guy goes to a MS final and you say you are done. Losing in 1st round - that's done.

Yeah, clearly not at his best. But who of the Top 5 is at their best right now? Nobody. All either tired, injured, or not playing their best tennis.

GasquetGOAT
10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Guy goes to a MS final and you say you are done. Losing in 1st round - that's done.

Yeah, clearly not at his best. But who of the Top 5 is at their best right now? Nobody. All either tired, injured, or not playing their best tennis.

Its all relative. You would think he would have had enough rest by now to be at his best, at least physically. And fact was, his opponents were either injured or tired (especially after 3 hours on court the night prior). so whats the excuse?:-?

TheTruth
10-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I think Gasquet!

GasquetGOAT
10-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I think Gasquet!

Wrong. Guess again;)

TheTruth
10-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Wrong. Guess again;)

Ha ha ha. Funny, I was just teasing. I don't like to predict anyone's demise. Glad you took it in the right spirit.

GasquetGOAT
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
^^likewise:) but he did disappoint me. Basicly handed a free pass to the final only had to play one real match and yet still looked like he was exhausted...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 10:38 AM
The big boys were letting him have it by either not entering or pulling out, what does he do? He disappoint!:mad::rolleyes:

Should have retired after the AO on a high like Pete!:twisted:
I wouldnt say he is done, but more and more players have figured him out, he need to come up with anything new-fast!
This was the weakest MS-title ive ever seen and yes-not winning it is not very flattering.

GasquetGOAT
10-20-2009, 03:03 AM
I wouldnt say he is done, but more and more players have figured him out, he need to come up with anything new-fast!
This was the weakest MS-title ive ever seen and yes-not winning it is not very flattering.

Thats exactly the problem! More and more players have figured him out, the precept of how to beat him is on the table but he doesn't seem to have anything more to offer or to surprise people with.:-?

namelessone
10-20-2009, 03:31 AM
It's easy to beat this Nadal. All you have to do is tee off on his short shots. That is all there is to it. Blake came close twice,same for Marcos,Ljubicic also,Cilic blew him off court from his 2m tower,Delpo ditto(twice I might add) and Djoker has always given Nadal tough matches on HC.

Nadal's game hasn't changed much from his old one but a few things stand out in a very bad way:

-his already weak serve seems even weaker since his return.
-he hits shorter way more frequently,even when he isn't pressed.
-he makes unforced errors unlike before where it was unusual for Nadal to make a mistake unless he was pressed by a great shot from his opponent. I've seen Nadal dump easy shots from both sides either in the net or outside the lines since his return and it is very weird.
-he doesn't go for shots anymore,even when the opportunity presents itself because he has no confidence in his shots. 9 winners in a 2 hour match says it all.

I just love how everybody realised that "man,people are figuring Nadal out" as if the way to beat Nadal on HC was some great mystery. People beat Nadal before on HC(badly I might add) even when he wasn't leaving every second shot around the service line,so I ask again,where is the mystery?

Nadal was vulnerable before on HC but at least old Nadal would try to do something about it. Old Nadal hit with more pace besides spin and his shots were deeper. This Nadal is just spin,that's why his balls don't penetrate the court. When you hit short and with a lot of spin,that is basically a sitter for any player to convert into a winner. The taller players will just pound that ball and even shorter players have plenty of time to hit that,either with the BH or they can move to set up a fh shot. And on this court giving time to players to set up their shots is fatal.

Oh,and for all the doping theoreticians,pace is generated by technique not by muscles unless Nadal was doping on something that was increasing his hand-eye coordination. Nadal will solve a lot of his problems when he stops mishitting his shots,when he will try to hit deeper and when steps closer to the baseline. Oh,and a stronger serve won't hurt him either.

As for figuring Nadal out on other surfaces I have my doubts. Sure he got beat by Federer and Soderling but as I have said before Nadal wasn't exactly at his best physically in those 2 events,and withdrew from WB shortly after.
But let me ask you this: How is Fed(and others) closer to figuring Nadal out on clay now after a 6-4,6-4 victory then when Federer was breadsticking(06' RG final) and bageling Nadal on clay(at hamburg if i remember correctly)?
Surely if Fed had figured Nadal out that would have been the time.
At WB,Nadal's only defeats in the last 3 years have come at the hands of Federer,probably the greatest grass player of all alongside Sampras. And in 07' he even pushed Federer to 5 sets.

For the moment Nadal is slighty more vulnerable on clay(and this is mainly due to his injuries which won't let his movement be like before),about the same on grass(for all we know) and VERY VULNERABLE on HC,even more vulnerable then before.

I expect Nadal to achieve nothing in Paris and TMC. It will be something of a small miracle if he gets out of his group at TMC with this kind of game.

some6uy008
10-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Rotating champs will make the game more interesting to watch

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Thats exactly the problem! More and more players have figured him out, the precept of how to beat him is on the table but he doesn't seem to have anything more to offer or to surprise people with.:-?
Agree, they need to work on something, there are numerous things though that he can change and/or add to his game but it may take a while, if he decides to do that he might not be a major contender for the slams in 2010 BUT he might add 2-3 years to his career.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Rotating champs will make the game more interesting to watch
Well of course, but it would be weird if Nadal had already peaked...wouldnt it?

Nuke
10-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Well of course, but it would be weird if Nadal had already peaked...wouldnt it?

Weird? No, more like expected. Lots of people here have been predicting that Nadal's body would break down because of his style of play.

valiant
10-20-2009, 04:17 AM
dun duna dun dun its Done.

jaap deboeck
10-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Done?? Check out his injury marred 2009 season stats. 1400 ranked pros woud give a kidney to be in Rafa's "done" shoes. Dayvdenko would give up all his years for one year like "done" Rafa has had, this year. I suspect most top pros would trade all their lesser titles for one Aussie crown.

How many years like Rafa's 2009 did even legend Agassi have in his 18 years on tour? 2?

Cantankersore
10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
He wasn't injured at the Australian Open. Never claimed to be, and didn't play like it. He just had the tape around his knees that he had had for the past while.

wyutani
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
fernando gonzalez?

cknobman
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
^^likewise:) but he did disappoint me. Basicly handed a free pass to the final only had to play one real match and yet still looked like he was exhausted...

Have to fully agree here. I mean 2 freakin retirements for cryin out loud!!! Nadal should have stomped Davy who was coming off a 3+ hour marathon against Djoker.