PDA

View Full Version : Federer: Would He Have Beaten Davy?

Conquistador
10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Just watching davydenko throughout this tournament. Wow, ive never seen a player that determined to cut angles on the backhand shot. It was one heck of a display. The tiebreak in the djokovic match was just unbelievable. Davy was hitting the ball harder and harder. If Davy had to play the great roger federer, would he have won the match this week?

UsualSuspect
10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
no need for this. Davydenko won, soo yes he would have won.

Claudius
10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Speculation is useless.

OddJack
10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Last year Davy said he would prefer to play against Nadal over Federer, so yeah.. he knows it too.

Polvorin
10-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Roger is 12-0 career against Davydenko. I don't even think there is a debate here.

President of Serve/Volley
10-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Roger is 12-0 career against Davydenko. I don't even think there is a debate here.

Indeed. Federer would have won rather easily.

Slice_Serve
10-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Indeed. Federer would have won rather easily.

Federer has lung cancer. Davydenko is good at pushing people around the court and making them run.

So Davydenko.

grafselesfan
10-18-2009, 07:41 PM
If Federer made the final he would have won for sure. Davydenko is his lapdog. Federer wouldnt have even had to play well to beat him. Since Federer is unpredictable in Masters events these days though it is not a total gaurantee he is in the final with Davydenko though.

Cup8489
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Federer has lung cancer. Davydenko is good at pushing people around the court and making them run.

So Davydenko.

are you drunk?

davydenko wouldn't have been able to take Fed out..the head to head says enough, but federer also likes playing guys who have just one gameplan (aside from Nadal, of course). his variety would trump davydenko's game easily.

at best, i say fed wins in straights, with one set a relatively close tiebreaker. davy would not take him to 3 in a final.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
YES,, Roger owns Nico..... his pigeon..

Gaudio2004
10-19-2009, 05:37 AM
If Federer was blind he would still beat Davydenko... Federer makes Davydenko look so amateurish it's unbelievable. You're overrating Davydenko. He doesn't have 1 Slam Final.

wyutani
10-19-2009, 05:44 AM
hell no. never.

dropshot winner
10-19-2009, 05:46 AM
If Federer was blind he would still beat Davydenko... Federer makes Davydenko look so amateurish it's unbelievable. You're overrating Davydenko. He doesn't have 1 Slam Final.

The two bold parts are directly related.

Dayvdenko lost many matches in slams against Federer, even when he played as good or better than he did yesterday.

wyutani
10-19-2009, 05:47 AM

Dayvdenko lost many matches in slams against Federer, even when he played as good or better than he did yesterday.

are u saying nadal played badly?

dropshot winner
10-19-2009, 05:50 AM
are u saying nadal played badly?

Pretty much. Did he even hit 10 winners in those 2 hours?

zagor
10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Who cares? He wasn't even in the tourney,no need to take away from Davydenko's victory.This board really seems obssesed with "what if" sometimes.

jones101
10-19-2009, 12:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3TUdMY66nk

Like this?

Davy should have won this match, he was A BREAK UP IN EVERY SET and still lost in straights.

Davydenko does have mental issues with Federer.

jrod
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F324&oId=D402

jjermann
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
you short sighted fools, stop always bandwagonin guy whos won a quite big tournament.

these threads always coming and coming when someone wins something big

davydenko is not up-and-coming anymore, hes been tour YEARS and he is already 28 :lol:

Mick
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
the problem with a federer-davydenko match up is anything that davydenko does, federer can do it a little bit better. when that is the case, the odd of davydenko beating federer is very slim.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Just watching davydenko throughout this tournament. Wow, ive never seen a player that determined to cut angles on the backhand shot. It was one heck of a display. The tiebreak in the djokovic match was just unbelievable. Davy was hitting the ball harder and harder. If Davy had to play the great roger federer, would he have won the match this week?

Sadly, Davy becomes a mental midget against Federer, he was in a winning position in some of their past matches yet never got the job done. Watch FO 2007 semi final, Davy had a chance to win each of the sets and lost in straights.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F324&oId=D402

While Fed owns the H2H, many of their matches were fairly close. Davydenko always chokes against Federer.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
While Fed owns the H2H, many of their matches were fairly close. Davydenko always chokes against Federer.
No he doesnt.
The last 2 times theyve played, not the 1st 10 though.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
No he doesnt.
The last 2 times theyve played, not the 1st 10 though.

Davydenko had his chances to win at least 2 matches against Fed, and he couldn't do it. At the FO 2007 Davy was clearly in a winning position to win each of the sets, was leading by breaks, and got broken back each time instead of closing it up. This match ended up being a straight setter for Fed intead of a win for Davy or at least a 5-setter.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Davydenko had his chances to win at least 2 matches against Fed, and he couldn't do it. At the FO 2007 Davy was clearly in a winning position to win each of the sets, was leading by breaks, and got broken back each time instead of closing it up. This match ended up being a straight setter for Fed intead of a win for Davy or at least a 5-setter.
Well i wouldnt call that choking though, Davydenko knows that he most likely will get his *** spanked by Fed before they enter the court but imo he sometimes plays really well against Fed, Fed is (opposite to Nadal) able to take Davy out of his comfort zone, therefore he looks a lot worse.

matchmaker
10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
^^
P Agony,

I know you are a Fed fan, but luckily not a ****. I really appreciate your contributions and as always there is a lot of common sense in them. I think indeed that Davydenko "should" have beaten Federer in some of their match ups, such as the FO 2007.

That match was the absolute epitomy of choking. Davydenko was up in every single set, was outplaying Fed and then managed to lose.

He is probably the biggest Fed worshipper on tour. Even if Roddick, who gets routinously spanked by Fed comes onto court you see he still believes to win (it could have happened at Wimbledon for instance).

But Davydenko's eyes are full of dark despair before the match starts and when he is a break up he totally freaks out, not knowing what to do once he is in a winning position.

Normally Davy plays quite a dominating game and I have seen him mercilessly slaughtering many a top player, but against Fed he turns into a mental dwarf.

matchmaker
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
^^

BTW, it is rather funny that P Agony and TheMagicianOfPrecision have almost the same avatar, you could easily confuse them and I think I might have done so in the past, but over time it became clear to me that the former is a rational Fed fan and the latter a Fedworshipper without any rationality.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
^^

BTW, it is rather funny that P Agony and TheMagicianOfPrecision have almost the same avatar, you could easily confuse them and I think I might have done so in the past, but over time it became clear to me that the former is a rational Fed fan and the latter a Fedworshipper without any rationality.
I am very rational, i can see Feds limits,sure. But by some ppl in here he is very underrated, saying he won slams with cakewalk draws, weak era, Nadal was beaten before the final etc.
I agree, P Agony is a great poster.

zagor
10-19-2009, 01:07 PM
the problem with a federer-davydenko match up is anything that davydenko does, federer can do it a little bit better. when that is the case, the odd of davydenko beating federer is very slim.

I wouldn't say Federer has better BH and return of serve than Kolja.

kOaMaster
10-19-2009, 01:07 PM
who cares? he didn't participate.

matchmaker
10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I am very rational, i can see Feds limits,sure. But by some ppl in here he is very underrated, saying he won slams with cakewalk draws, weak era, Nadal was beaten before the final etc.
I agree, P Agony is a great poster.

Okay then, I don't think Fed has many limits actually, you really have to push him to find them. But people like Davy could occasionally push them but lack to do so, hence sometimes the critics saying that everyone chokes against Fed.

Which isn't really any of Federer's problems, I would say. But you know, people like to see more battle at the top. And except for Fed and Nadal, there hasn't been much to talk about, except recently about Delpo.

Now about Davydenko. He really is a great ballstriker and I sometimes see similarities in his game and Agassi's game, but the big difference is the match attitude, and that being said that Agassi was also a massive choker for much of his carreer.

So to the question: can Davydenko beat Fed?

Technically I am sure he can, but not always. Let's say I would see Davy win 2 or 3 times out of 10.

Will Davydenko ever beat Fed?

No, his complex is larger than life. It's all inside his head.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Okay then, I don't think Fed has many limits actually, you really have to push him to find them. But people like Davy could occasionally push them but lack to do so, hence sometimes the critics saying that everyone chokes against Fed.

Which isn't really any of Federer's problems, I would say. But you know, people like to see more battle at the top. And except for Fed and Nadal, there hasn't been much to talk about, except recently about Delpo.

Now about Davydenko. He really is a great ballstriker and I sometimes see similarities in his game and Agassi's game, but the big difference is the match attitude, and that being said that Agassi was also a massive choker for much of his carreer.

Technically I am sure he can, but not always. Let's say I would see Davy win 2 or 3 times out of 10.

I agree, good post.
Same thing with Soderling, he is 0-14 (i think) vs Fed, a great ballstriker but when he stepps on court vs Fed he shrinks like a little mouse.

scotus
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM

So you are saying Davydenko played like a Year-End-Masters-playing Nalbandian.

Then yes, his chances of beating Fed were pretty good.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
^^
P Agony,

I know you are a Fed fan, but luckily not a ****. I really appreciate your contributions and as always there is a lot of common sense in them. I think indeed that Davydenko "should" have beaten Federer in some of their match ups, such as the FO 2007.

That match was the absolute epitomy of choking. Davydenko was up in every single set, was outplaying Fed and then managed to lose.

He is probably the biggest Fed worshipper on tour. Even if Roddick, who gets routinously spanked by Fed comes onto court you see he still believes to win (it could have happened at Wimbledon for instance).

But Davydenko's eyes are full of dark despair before the match starts and when he is a break up he totally freaks out, not knowing what to do once he is in a winning position.

Normally Davy plays quite a dominating game and I have seen him mercilessly slaughtering many a top player, but against Fed he turns into a mental dwarf.

First, thanks for the kind words.

I fully agree, this match belonged to Davy. It was a bittersweet feeling for me, because I like both players a lot, although if they meet today I would want Davy to win since it's been a long time coming.

I remember last year in the TMC Davy was interviewed and said he would rather play Murray than Fed, and while I can understand that given their H2H, I still find it sad that Davy doesn't come fully confident to their matches. Sure, all players have their kryptonite (like Nadal is to Fed), but Davy is just so talented and such a consistent player I really think he deserves better results + some wins over Roger. Sadly I don't think he'll be winning a slam any time soon, not unless he totally commits to it and keeps a good form in all his matches.

I was very happy for him when he won his 3rd MS title. I also love how quiet and modest he is about stuff, a true professional and a huge sportsman. I remember when he had a macth against Robredo and Robredo hit a ball that was called out, but Davy was the one who corrected the call and said it was good. He ended up losing the match, but I really admired him for that.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree, good post.
Same thing with Soderling, he is 0-14 (i think) vs Fed, a great ballstriker but when he stepps on court vs Fed he shrinks like a little mouse.

Their next match should be interesting, because Soderling finally showed some signs of belief during their USO match. Sadly for him it was too little too late, but he was close to winning the 4th set TB and really made Fed nervous, despite Fed playing perfect tennis for the first 2 sets.

Leelord337
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Fed uses the short slice to draw him in then the easy passing shot, not to mention his excellent defense. Davydenko owns baseliners as he can do anything from the baseline, but when forced to rush the net (even though he's good up there) he's not as legendary as fed is up there

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Fed uses the short slice to draw him in then the easy passing shot, not to mention his excellent defense. Davydenko owns baseliners as he can do anything from the baseline, but when forced to rush the net (even though he's good up there) he's not as legendary as fed is up there

But on clay this tactic isn't as effective, and if you've seen Davy vs. Fed FO 2007 you should know Davydenko totally choked away each of the sets, and somehow managed to lose in straights. I'm a Fed fan and even I admit he didn't win the match as much as Davy lost it.

anointedone
10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Davydenko should have been in the French Open final in 2005 and 2007 both. I am not sure he could have beaten Nadal either year though. He can definitely beat Nadal on hard courts, clay is a different matter altogether, especialy best 3 out of 5, especialy in a slam final.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Their next match should be interesting, because Soderling finally showed some signs of belief during their USO match. Sadly for him it was too little too late, but he was close to winning the 4th set TB and really made Fed nervous, despite Fed playing perfect tennis for the first 2 sets.
Absolutely, i was really nervous in that US Open match, he gets closer and closer from FO-final-Wimbledon-USO...next time might be in the YEC and on a fast Indoor-HC Soderling is even more dangerous than outdoor-HC imo.
As a Swede i root for Soderling against everyone---except Federer! :)

anointedone
10-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Soderling in his last 2 events was trounced by a not top form Djokovic and by Lopez. He isnt beating Federer anytime soon, if ever. I think he has already come off his high where he played tennis out of his mind for a little while and is returning to earth which probably isnt even good enough to be in the top 10.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Davydenko should have been in the French Open final in 2005 and 2007 both. I am not sure he could have beaten Nadal either year though. He can definitely beat Nadal on hard courts, clay is a different matter altogether, especialy best 3 out of 5, especialy in a slam final.

I totally agree, and while Nadal would still be considered the favorite, Davy could have given him a big fight. Davy is an excellent clayer and when on could really trouble Nadal on this surface.

Absolutely, i was really nervous in that US Open match, he gets closer and closer from FO-final-Wimbledon-USO...next time might be in the YEC and on a fast Indoor-HC Soderling is even more dangerous than outdoor-HC imo.
As a Swede i root for Soderling against everyone---except Federer! :)

I've grown to like Robin. He doesn't seem like the mosnter everyone say he is. At the FO ceremony he was funny and was very kind, and from what I've seen he's a very fair player.

Soderling in his last 2 events was trounced by a not top form Djokovic and by Lopez. He isnt beating Federer anytime soon, if ever. I think he has already come off his high where he played tennis out of his mind for a little while and is returning to earth which probably isnt even good enough to be in the top 10.

But Soderling was doing great at the last 3 slams of the season, defeated by only one man in all of them. Soderling can be a top 10 player IMO, and by his last match with Federer, he looked confident and eager to take it to him.

matchmaker
10-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I totally agree, and while Nadal would still be considered the favorite, Davy could have given him a big fight. Davy is an excellent clayer and when on could really trouble Nadal on this surface.

I've grown to like Robin. He doesn't seem like the mosnter everyone say he is. At the FO ceremony he was funny and was very kind, and from what I've seen he's a very fair player.

But Soderling was doing great at the last 3 slams of the season, defeated by only one man in all of them. Soderling can be a top 10 player IMO, and by his last match with Federer, he looked confident and eager to take it to him.

I don't know about Soderling. I don't really (or rather really don't) like him, but that is a personal thing.

As a tennis player he has his pros and cons. He can absolutely hit the crap out of the ball from shoulder height. His technique though is seriously ugly and flawed.

And that is where players like Federer can exert their superiority. Fed can slice to make the tall Robin bend and to disrupt his rhythm. He can take away time from Soderling to set up for his gigantic strokes.

Although last time Soderling almost got him to 5 sets.

The thing with Soderling is that it is really a hit and hope game. He hits hard and takes a lot of risk. He is bound to have a good day once and to take out a top dog, you would think.

BigT
10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Conq- You're one of my favorite posters, but just let Davy and others who appreciate great tennis enjoy the win...He beat some great players, including Nadal, Djoko, and even your Gonzo (best slice backhand of all time...)

anointedone
10-19-2009, 11:19 PM

We will see. People say he lost to Federer in all the slams but who did he beat at either Wimbledon or the U.S Open? Pretty much nobody, other than a still shaky visibly Davydenko at the U.S Open (and via a retirement anyway). People said at the times he could have beaten other top players with a different draw but his other tournament results and losses since the French dont support this theory.

I dont think their U.S Open match indicated Soderling is getting closer to Federer. Federer should have won that match 6-0, 6-3, 7-6 which would have been a blowout. Federer became overly relaxed in the tiebreak, then got a bit tight when Soderling raised his game. I dont think he ever imagined Soderling could come back from 4-0 in the tiebreak. Next time Federer wont make the same mistake in a situation like that, and unless something changes the final score will be the blowout score the match should have ended up as, and that the French Open final also was. If Soderling came on court that confident as people are saying he wouldnt have been bageled in the 1st set.

mengpower
10-20-2009, 03:51 AM
How is it that Fed find it hard to beat Nadal? Surely he would have seen how it is done by the other players?

dropshot winner
10-20-2009, 05:00 AM
How is it that Fed find it hard to beat Nadal? Surely he would have seen how it is done by the other players?

It takes more than just to know how to do it.

If Federer could hit the backhand down the line like Davydenko or Nalbandian are able to Nadal would have probably one slam, unfortunately for Federer he can't do it.

ksbh
10-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Davydenko is Federer's shoe shiner. Federer in straight sets.

P_Agony
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Fed can't hit his BH with the same depth, power and consistency as Davydenko, which is why he can't be as aggressive. Plus, Nadal is the single player who isn't bothered by Fed's great slice. He almost always attacks those slices and dictates from there. Players with solid CC 2HBHs can beat Nadal. It's a matchup thing.

In the Madrid final Fed used that BH better, he went DTL to Nadal's BH to set up a big inside in forehand, and Nadal almost always followed with a BH error. It was a smart tatic by Fed, but he needs both strokes to work well for that to happen again, and they rarely do these days.

P_Agony
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
We will see. People say he lost to Federer in all the slams but who did he beat at either Wimbledon or the U.S Open? Pretty much nobody, other than a still shaky visibly Davydenko at the U.S Open (and via a retirement anyway). People said at the times he could have beaten other top players with a different draw but his other tournament results and losses since the French dont support this theory.

I dont think their U.S Open match indicated Soderling is getting closer to Federer. Federer should have won that match 6-0, 6-3, 7-6 which would have been a blowout. Federer became overly relaxed in the tiebreak, then got a bit tight when Soderling raised his game. I dont think he ever imagined Soderling could come back from 4-0 in the tiebreak. Next time Federer wont make the same mistake in a situation like that, and unless something changes the final score will be the blowout score the match should have ended up as, and that the French Open final also was. If Soderling came on court that confident as people are saying he wouldnt have been bageled in the 1st set.

Fair enough, but I still think Soderling has really improved. Didn't he beat Verdasco latley? Doesn't that count for anything (with Verdasco being a top 10 player and all)

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Ijust had to bump this as a Davy fan :D

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM

no need for this. Davydenko won, soo yes he would have won.

So Davydenko.

If Federer made the final he would have won for sure. Davydenko is his lapdog. Federer wouldnt have even had to play well to beat him. Since Federer is unpredictable in Masters events these days though it is not a total gaurantee he is in the final with Davydenko though.

question for 100$:
what do all of the above have in common?

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 02:03 PM
question for 100$:
Banned. (why were they?) Give me my $100

kishnabe
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
question for 100$:

They are all trolls?:confused:

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned. (why were they?) Give me my $100

what bank are you in and what's the account number?:)

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
oooh... dont have that with me... will my ssn do?

kishnabe
01-13-2010, 02:27 PM

You know there is allways paypal!

Serendipitous
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM
oooh... dont have that with me... will my ssn do?

Hey brother.....:)

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey brother.....:)

lol. do u wanna give me dat $?

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
oooh... dont have that with me... will my do?
social security number?
no, don't think so

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
social security number?
no, don't think so

Sigh... how about my home adress, telephone and credit card numbers? We can meet tonight for you to give me the money in the park...

Serendipitous
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
lol. do u wanna give me dat $?

:cry::cry::cry:

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Sigh... how about my home adress, telephone and credit card numbers? We can meet tonight for you to give me the money in the park...

i don't like the idea of meeting someone i don't know alone in the park at night

Serendipitous
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
i don't like the idea of meeting someone i don't know alone in the park at night

Why not? :)

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM

We can all meet!

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 02:39 PM

because i'm afraid of the park

Serendipitous
01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
We can all meet!

Hooray! :D

kishnabe
01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Hooray! :D

LOL, really you sound like a happy cat!

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
LOL, really you sound like a happy cat!
this could really be dipitous
http://students.ou.edu/F/Nicholas.J.Finney-1/smilingcat.jpg

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 05:31 PM
So.... 3:50 am sound good?

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM
um noooooooooooo
i already said, i'm afraid of the park
just forget it, you're not getting the 100$

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I'll sue! That was a typed contract!

viduka0101
01-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I'll sue! That was a typed contract!

i don't see my damn signature anywhere
see you in court
(woooho, i have 900 posts)

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-13-2010, 06:11 PM
i don't see my damn signature anywhere
see you in court
(woooho, i have 900 posts)

We can negotiate a possible settlement tonight. At 3:50 tonight. In the park.
Like the invisible 900 posts sig :)