PDA

View Full Version : Davidenko is a pleasure to watch....

Oldracquet27
10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
His movement, his clean groundstrokes, amazing angles.... a truly natural tennis player. I hope he can win a grandslam title before retiring.....

ronalditop
10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Agreed. He's a very fun player to watch. And he's hitting harder than before now so hes even more dangerous.

Mick
10-18-2009, 08:00 PM
yeah but he looks so skinny and pale for a top tennis player. when you think of a top tennis player, you would think of somebody who looks like federer, nadal, or djokovic. davydenko, he does not look like a top tennis player (to me at least) :)

Cup8489
it's amazing how people don't post about this guy for months, and if they do it's negative. he recieved similar praise after beating nadal in Miami last year, but then fell off the map. His game doesn't change, just his ability to execute it when it counts.

Personally, I'm glad to see some appreciation, not degradation, for a very good player in Davydenko.

Perhaps now he will resign with Prince? that Ozone Pro Tour is doing him good :)

_maxi
He is not a pusher, he is not a time waster, he doesn't scream, etc. That's always good for me, if I want to enjoy a match.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 08:02 PM
He is not a pusher, he is not a time waster, he doesn't scream, etc. That's always good for me, if I want to enjoy a match.

yes but his volley is like 3.5 and that is boring..

Mr.Brightside
10-18-2009, 08:08 PM

+1

i find him much more interesting to watch then nadal...

OddJack
10-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I like his wife better

tacou
10-18-2009, 08:11 PM
his volleys are sometimes very nice, he's just not a natural. I love Davy's game, have since 2005 or so, and it's always so great to see him execute so well in a big match like this, as it was in Miami last year.

OddJack
10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
You look at him and understand why there are so many Murray haters

Mr.Brightside
10-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I like his wife better

hells yeah

VashTheStampede
10-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, he's my second favorite player. He just beat my favorite in the finals, but I was rooting for Davydenko. I never really understood why people call him a boring player with no weapons. If you watch him, he's usually the one dictating play, even against an aggressive player such as Djokovic. I, too, want to see him to at least win one slam in his career, especially considering how long he's been able to stay in the top 10.

As Mick said, I think if he looked more like the typical top 10 player he'd get more recognition. But for me, the fact that he plays that aggressive style with such an unassuming slender frame makes it even more intriguing.

PCXL-Fan
10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
yeah but he looks so skinny and pale for a top tennis player. when you think of a top tennis player, you would think of somebody who looks like federer, nadal, or djokovic. davydenko, he does not look like a top tennis player (to me at least) :)

pale... well look at the guy in your avatar :p

lambielspins
10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I would like to see him win atleast 1 slam. IMO he is a better tennis player than Kafelnikov who won 2 slams. I think if he puts it together mentally he will. He had some mental failings and moments of choking vs Djokovic and Nadal in the semis and finals of Shanghai and still won, although neither were at their best, especialy Nadal. He needs to be mentally stronger if he is to ever win a slam and maybe get a bit lucky with the draw and 1 or 2 guys not being at their best.

VashTheStampede
10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I would like to see him win atleast 1 slam. IMO he is a better tennis player than Kafelnikov who won 2 slams. I think if he puts it together mentally he will. He had some mental failings and moments of choking vs Djokovic and Nadal in the semis and finals of Shanghai and still won, although neither were at their best, especialy Nadal. He needs to be mentally stronger if he is to ever win a slam and maybe get a bit lucky with the draw and 1 or 2 guys not being at their best.

Agreed. Hopefully, he gets more confidence after his big win in Shanghai.

tennis_hand
10-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Davy improved after his injury this year.

His serve is more powerful now. He starts to hit the serve at the ball's peak, instead of a very high toss.

His power has improved also. I think now he looks at the ball with more time when hitting it, instead of letting the head following the ball too quickly.

wyutani
10-19-2009, 12:28 AM
watching davydenko is a bore. i feel asleep watching the finals.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
10-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Actually, when he is not playing well, he is one of the most painful players to watch.

35ft6
10-19-2009, 01:45 AM
The first time I saw this guy, he wasn't even in the top 50 and I predicted he would be top 10. He is so good. Not as crazy talented as Nalbandian but they're similar in that they're both incredibly gifted pure ball strikers. His performance in the semis and finals of Shanghai were, like the title says, a pleasure to watch. He just pummeled Nadal's backhand but it wasn't just sheer pace, he threw so many different depths and angles. Looks so obvious but how many players have the game to pull it off? Murray, take notice.

Just some of the finest baseline tennis of the open era. He barely came to the net against Nadal, he flat out just out hit him from the baseline. For a few stretches, he was as good or better than vintage Agassi.

dropshot winner
10-19-2009, 02:00 AM
The first time I saw this guy, he wasn't even in the top 50 and I predicted he would be top 10. He is so good. Not as crazy talented as Nalbandian but they're similar in that they're both incredibly gifted pure ball strikers. His performance in the semis and finals of Shanghai were, like the title says, a pleasure to watch. He just pummeled Nadal's backhand but it wasn't just sheer pace, he threw so many different depths and angles. Looks so obvious but how many players have the game to pull it off? Murray, take notice.

Just some of the finest baseline tennis of the open era. He barely came to the net against Nadal, he flat out just out hit him from the baseline. For a few stretches, he was as good or better than vintage Agassi.

I agree, but didn't Davydenko came to the net like 30 times and won like 22 of them?

He even serve and volleyed at least once, and won the point (Nadal looked VERY surprised).

Overall I think he could've used the net better, a few times he got Nadal way off the court and but instead of cutting the angle with the volley he stayed at the baseline and had to hit 10 extra shots.

P_Agony
10-19-2009, 02:06 AM
I love watching Davy play, and I can't understand pwople who call him boring. He doesn't have the biggest variety in the game but he's a very clean baseliner striker who's just solid. I love this aggressive type of play. I hope he will win a major before retiring, he's got the tools.

Polvorin
10-19-2009, 03:03 AM
I respect Davydenko, but there is a reason he is sometimes known as "ball machine."

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 03:27 AM
He is extremely underrated around here, he is a fantastic ball-striker and when he is on and feeling motivated he is a threat to most players, fantastic stuff seeing him beating Nadal, made my day!

tacou
10-19-2009, 05:28 AM
watching davydenko is a bore. i feel asleep watching the finals.

what do you find boring about his game, exactly?

Cup8489
10-19-2009, 07:23 AM

he needs a tournament without federer. if Fed doesn't play, Davydenko also needs to play the tournament of his life.

helloworld
10-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Agassi is still more powerful off the ground, but Davydenko is faster. So it's a close call, but I'd still take prime Agassi.

Cesc Fabregas
10-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Agassi is still more powerful off the ground, but Davydenko is faster. So it's a close call, but I'd still take prime Agassi.

Agassi was very fast in his younger days and when he got himself in shape 94/95, he is basically does everything better than Davydenko serve, return, forehand, backhand, movement and volley.

basil J
10-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I love watching Davidenko take everyball he possibly could on the rise. He was giving Nadal no time at all to respond yesterday and he created some wicked angles off of both sides during his rallies. His match with the joker the day before was even better and even Novak said that the guy was playing at a higher level and there was nothing he could do.
The court surface in China suited his game perfectly. I am happy for him because he really earned that title yesterday. Fun tennis to watch for sure.

dropshot winner
10-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Agassi was very fast in his younger days and when he got himself in shape 94/95, he is basically does everything better than Davydenko serve, return, forehand, backhand, movement and volley.
Agassi was never as fast as Davydenko, but he did have the more powerful backhand, a more consistent forehand and stronger return, but the difference in all those areas was small.

I think the 95 Agassi had a worse serve than Davydenko, not by much though.

Oldracquet27
10-19-2009, 08:05 AM

I guess what we are focusing here when we say a truly natural tennis player is his ability to hit the ball so well and move around the court not his looks. And if you think about his size compared to other guys and being top ten for so long, the guy is just AMAZING to me. Trust me, the look will not take you to the tour if you don't HIT, it is always just a nice complement.... just saying.

sureshs
10-19-2009, 08:08 AM
He was playing out of his mind the entire tournament. He had Nadal on the run all the time in the final.

OJ ROD
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Davy improved after his injury this year.

His serve is more powerful now. He starts to hit the serve at the ball's peak, instead of a very high toss.

His power has improved also. I think now he looks at the ball with more time when hitting it, instead of letting the head following the ball too quickly.

How in the world did you figure that? I mean, he plays SO FAST and take the ball SO EARLY. Seriously how did you notice that?:confused:

OJ ROD
10-19-2009, 08:16 AM
he needs a tournament without federer. if Fed doesn't play, Davydenko also needs to play the tournament of his life.

He needs to learn to beat Federer, not wait until his not there or playing bad. And Federer I think downplays Davydenko a lot when he talks about him. Like he'll never beat him,(understanding of course the horrible H2H), but so many of their matches were decided on only a few points, and Davydenko pretty much handed them over. Fed, I think is nervous. I think he knows that if Davydenko would not have gifted him those points, that H2H would be looking a lot different.

dropshot winner
10-19-2009, 08:24 AM
He needs to learn to beat Federer, not wait until his not there or playing bad. And Federer I think downplays Davydenko a lot when he talks about him. Like he'll never beat him,(understanding of course the horrible H2H), but so many of their matches were decided on only a few points, and Davydenko pretty much handed them over. Fed, I think is nervous. I think he knows that if Davydenko would not have gifted him those points, that H2H would be looking a lot different.

I disagree. Davydenko could've won maybe 2 or 3 matches.

Even without any choking Federer is a horrible match-up for Davydenko.

jrod
10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
NikiD is a pleasure to watch when he is playing well. His movement and footwork are exceptional. My feeling is they have to be in order for him to hit such an effective shot. He's one of the smaller players on the tour and as a result needs to be in position to put as much into his shot as he can muster....kind of like Justine was on the WTA, small but extremely effective.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Its funny, Nadal and Sampras-***** have used Davy as an example of "a weak era" thats why Federer managed to win as many slams as he did, in your face!!!! Davydenko would have spanked Sampras`s *** on many surfaces! And of course, he consecutively spanked Djokevic and Nadal, shame on you!!!:evil:

Cesc Fabregas
10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Its funny, Nadal and Sampras-***** have used Davy as an example of "a weak era" thats why Federer managed to win as many slams as he did, in your face!!!! Davydenko would have spanked Sampras`s *** on many surfaces! And of course, he consecutively spanked Djokevic and Nadal, shame on you!!!:evil:

Davydenko is a poor mans Kafelinkov and Sampras was 9-0 against him on non clay surfaces.

thejoe
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Davydenko is a poor mans Kafelinkov and Sampras was 9-0 against him on non clay surfaces.

So you can ignore the clay matches when we're referring to Sampras?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Well, clay is about 35-40% of the tournaments on the ATP-tour so...and having todays slow surfaces Sampras would have wished he started playing cicket or something else.

JoshDragon
10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
His movement, his clean groundstrokes, amazing angles.... a truly natural tennis player. I hope he can win a grandslam title before retiring.....

Agreed. I like to watch him, he's a great player. He's just a little bit weaker than the very best though.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Agreed. I like to watch him, he's a great player. He's just a little bit weaker than the very best though.
So who are the very best since he beat both Djokovic and Nadal? And it was not the 1st time he did it.

JoshDragon
10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Well, clay is about 35-40% of the tournaments on the ATP-tour so...and having todays slow surfaces Sampras would have wished he started playing cicket or something else.

Actually, I think Sampras would still be able win majors with today's conditions but he certainly would not have dominated. I think Pete would have won 5 or less probably.

JoshDragon
10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
So who are the very best since he beat both Djokovic and Nadal? And it was not the 1st time he did it.

That's true but he doesn't do it on the big stages at the majors. Besides he's never beaten Roger.

Haasquet
10-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I respect Davydenko, but there is a reason he is sometimes known as "ball machine."

This is because he has wheels and a 150-ball capacity, not because he gets the ball back in play. It's a common misconception...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
Actually, I think Sampras would still be able win majors with today's conditions but he certainly would not have dominated. I think Pete would have won 5 or less probably.
Absolutely

, he would have won 4-8 imo, but never ever 14.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
That's true but he doesn't do it on the big stages at the majors. Besides he's never beaten Roger.

True, but Roger is THE best :twisted:

JoshDragon
10-19-2009, 10:01 AM
True, but Roger is THE best :twisted:

He wasn't last year.;)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
He wasn't last year.;)
Maybe not, but 2004,2005,2006,2007, and 2009!
:)

UsualSuspect
10-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Absolutely

, he would have won 4-8 imo, but never ever 14.
Such speculation is unecessary and nonsensical. The times have changed the way tennis is played. One could argue that Roger wouldnt win as many slams if he played the 90s as well. So this argument goes both ways and wont yield a correct answer. Federer and Sampras played best in their own respective times.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Such speculation is unecessary and nonsensical. The times have changed the way tennis is played. One could argue that Roger wouldnt win as many slams if he played the 90s as well. So this argument goes both ways and wont yield a correct answer. Federer and Sampras played best in their own respective times.
If that kind of speculation is "ubecessary and nonsensical" then i guess 99% of the posters in here are guilty of just that !
Thats what ppl do, speculating and comparing.

UsualSuspect
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
If that kind of speculation is "ubecessary and nonsensical" then i guess 99% of the posters in here are guilty of just that !
Thats what ppl do, speculating and comparing.
Dont take it personally. I was just commenting on how the timeline of tennis is highly dramatic. If Bjorn Borg was transfered from his top tennis days in the 70s-80s to modern day tennis. He would hardly be able to win a single tennis match against modern pros. However, this shouldnt take away from Borg's exceptional greatness because at the time he played tennis, the conditions and equipment was very different. Same can be said about Sampras, who benefited from the fast paced courts of the 90's and Federer, who benefited from the moderate paced courts of today.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Dont take it personally. I was just commenting on how the timeline of tennis is highly dramatic. If Bjorn Borg was transfered from his top tennis days in the 70s-80s to modern day tennis. He would hardly be able to win a single tennis match against modern pros. However, this shouldnt take away from Borg's exceptional greatness because at the time he played tennis, the conditions and equipment was very different. Same can be said about Sampras, who benefited from the fast paced courts of the 90's and Federer, who benefited from the moderate paced courts of today.
Fair enough.
Well yes, i agree.
We will never know what would have happened, thats why the speculating is so fun imo.

kOaMaster
10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I personally don't like his tennis at all. it's not creative, very similar and the only thing he has is consistency and clean shots. how often do you see davydenko hitting an "unexpected" shot? once in a match?

JoshDragon
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Actually I think Roger, would have still done well in the 90s although, like Sampras he probably wouldn't have won anywhere near as many majors. In Roger's early days he was more of an all court player and he did beat Pete at Wimbledon before the court speed really changed.

Polvorin
10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
This is because he has wheels and a 150-ball capacity, not because he gets the ball back in play. It's a common misconception...

I think it has more to do with the fact that he has one gear. He doesn't change speeds or spins or strategies on the court. Instead he keeps firing the ball back the same way, much like a machine would. Whether you like or dislike that is up to you, but his lack of creativity and variety is the reason for the nickname.

Haasquet
10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that he has one gear. He doesn't change speeds or spins or strategies on the court. Instead he keeps firing the ball back the same way, much like a machine would. Whether you like or dislike that is up to you, but his lack of creativity and variety is the reason for the nickname.

Uh, I was being facetious. For the record, though, I can think of a few ball machines that have multiple speed and spin settings, as well as 'random' settings that let you get a mix of everything. I'm sure the machines don't like this Davydenko comparison...

Polvorin
10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Uh, I was being facetious. For the record, though, I can think of a few ball machines that have multiple speed and spin settings, as well as 'random' settings that let you get a mix of everything. I'm sure the machines don't like this Davydenko comparison...

Yeah, it was pretty funny. I give you credit. Also, you might be right about the ball machines taking offense.

ubermeyer
10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
who is davidenko???

btw did you watch the davydenko-nadal match?

babolat15
10-19-2009, 07:20 PM
IRINA DAVYDENKO...very pretty...i didnt see a coach there with nikolay...nor does he have a racket sponsor

tennis_hand
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
he is using prince, but he his string is not painted.

Max G.
10-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Hah! Well done sir, I applaud that joke.

8pNADAL
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
he hit like 4-5 clean winners in each of the tie-breaks v djokovic/nadal, his ability to deliver the hardest shots under pressure is best on tour at the moment, just a matter of whether he will do it in the slams

BigT
10-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Great post---It's about time a player who is not a glamour boy for Nike or Adidas gets some credit here. Davydenko's movement and ball striking is as world-class as it gets. There are some great highlights from his matches on my site.

RobFL
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I still have not seen it confirmed that he uses a 28 1/8" length on the Ozone Pro Tour. That would be interesting to know for sure. Not sure i've ever seen angles like that while pounding the groundies, 28 1/8 would explain where some of that action is coming from.

PCXL-Fan
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Its amazing watching the light glissen off his shiny scalp. I can really stress the contrast ratio of my tv to the max. We tennis fan's haven't had this much fun since Agassi was playing.

8pNADAL
10-20-2009, 01:26 AM
i dont like it how his wife claps like the queen, its very annoying

crazylevity
10-20-2009, 01:46 AM

LOL. Ball machines more creative than Davydenko.

FEDEXP
10-20-2009, 01:51 AM
His wife claps like the Queen? And your guy was outplayed today. Davy had great strategy; pace, angles and great agility. He was so much faster than Nadal today.

Nadal (though now wearing what looked to me like loose fitting bermuda shorts) elevated his butt picking to a new level in the Shanghai Final. It really looks now like an obsesive compulsive disorder.

namelessone
10-20-2009, 01:55 AM
His wife claps like the Queen? And your guy was outplayed today. Davy had great strategy; pace, angles and great agility. He was so much faster than Nadal today.

Nadal (though now wearing what looked to me like loose fitting bermuda shorts) elevated his butt picking to a new level in the Shanghai Final. It really looks now like an obsesive compulsive disorder.

It has always been OCD,just like with the water bottles and in the past it was worse because he would also adjust his socks in his "routine",besides the whole toweling off,tugging of the pants and slow service motion.

jjermann
10-20-2009, 02:58 AM

"today" match was over two days ago :lol:

Haasquet
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Hah! Well done sir, I applaud that joke.

Thank you.