PDA

View Full Version : forehand problems

Jeewalk
10-19-2009, 03:45 AM
i have a WW forehand and my coach says that i use too much topspin, which is true. He made me switch to a classical forehand which has given me more penetration. How can i get that same penetration without losing my WW forehand?

wyutani
10-19-2009, 03:52 AM
hit thru the ball rather than cutting it. this works for all the grips.

Jeewalk
10-19-2009, 03:58 AM
hit thru the ball rather than cutting it. this works for all the grips.

are there any drills that will help with that other that just hitting and hoping

wyutani
10-19-2009, 04:06 AM
are there any drills that will help with that other that just hitting and hoping

well, i dun do drills. i just play and play, till my arm is accoustom to hitting left or right.

try cones. but ultimately, you need practice.

10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
i have a WW forehand and my coach says that i use too much topspin, which is true. He made me switch to a classical forehand which has given me more penetration. How can i get that same penetration without losing my WW forehand?

On your backswing, don't drop the racket as low for topspin and
As you pull across the ball, make it more across the ball than usual.

LeeD
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Probably best and most accessible drill is to hit the wall using VERY LITTLE effort. Swing short, prep short, use little rackethead speed. That makes you hit flatter, because if you don't, you won't even reach the wall.
So shorten everything up, but prepare earlier.
Hit maybe 200 like that.
Now go back to your long swing, and hit 50 or so with extreme topspin and little pace, but aim for 6' over the net.
Now go back to your new shorter swing, stroked flat and little effort, but the ball goes fast because you are learning how to hit it flat.
For that flat ball with Western grips, you gotta really turn sideways, and twist your torso into the ball, with a level swing, and ball height followthru. That shot moves the ball fast, with little spin, and little effort.