PDA

View Full Version : please help..what to hybrid with VS touch 16???????

markwillplay
10-19-2009, 08:53 AM
OK, I love this string. I have several threads about stringing going but I want to get specific so that the string experts can help.

I have many packs of VS gut 16 touch and I want to make it last. I LOVE it in a full bed but I want to hybrid it with something cheaper in the crosses to make it last and possibly tame the power . Here are my specific details to help you help me.

...I play with a becker mid 11
...I have broken strings in this stick quicker than others
...I serve and volley a lot and have 1hbh...semiwestern forhand...a lot of top off both wings..and I supply my own power
...I have strung the full bed at 60 lbs and I think that I can use less power...if I strung another full bed, I would probably go 62 and I think arm would be fine as long as full bed.
...I am very careful about my arm (no poly) so if I had less power with crosses, I would be looking at possibly going lower if you thought I could still control it.
...I want something that will last as long as possible and allow me to play the gut hopefully until it breaks.

strings that I was thinking about..head rip control, gosen micro 16, etc.....

as an aside, I do have one pack of gaucho gut 15L (huge gauge though...heavy ropes) and I did think about using it in the crosses for a couple of stringings. It damn sure ain't gonna break.

OK, let me know what you reccomend and also ballpark tension if you could.

Keifers
10-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I've been happy with VS gut 16 and 17 mains hybrids over the years. In addition to being much less expensive than full gut, I've found the cross strings can be selected to fine-tune gut's playing characteristics, as you're wanting to do.

I've used as crosses:

Bab Conquest 17
TNT2 17
Gosen JC 17 (firms up the string bed nicely; the other two don't so much)

To lower the power of VS 16, you might consider Maxim Touch 17 or 16. I've not done this myself yet, but I have played with full MT 17 and MT 17 as a cross for poly mains. MT is a very nice string -- linear in its response, comfortable but still crisp. drakulie has likened it to gut, just lower-powered, and I agree (he uses MT 16). My description would be that its playability is very similar to gut, just with a smaller dynamic range. And it's low-powered (the lowest-powered of all the multis I've ever tried).

ClubHoUno
10-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Do a search in here, lot's of good solutions......

I tame the power of my VS TEAM 17 GUT with a soft spinny CoPoly Signum Tornado in the mains and tame the power of my VS TOUCH 16 GUT with a soft powerful (powerful for a poly that is) CoPoly Signum Hyperion in the crosses.

If you want evem more power taming of the gut, then use Signum Pro Poly Plasma Pure.

All the Signums CoPoly strings have excellent tension maintenance, so the VS GUT hybrid with Signum copoly is playable for 12 hours minimum unless you break it before that of course :)

You could also use Weisscannon Silverstring or MSV HEX CoPoly's to tame the power of the gut.

Experiment if you prefer the VS GUT in the mains or in the crosses in the hybrid.

Luxilon Alu BB make great strings, and a lot of the pro players use the LUX in VS GUT hybrids, but they are used to the Lux and can change the Lux after 2 hours, when it dies - Signum, Weisscannon and MSV ALL MAKE COPOLY string with far better tension stability than that of the Luxilon strings.

hoodjem
10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Weisscannon Silverstring crosses. Holds tension really well yet it is soft for a poly--should help the VS to last longer.

JT_2eighty
10-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I hate to nitpick but the OP wants no polys, not even the soft ones.

So, Keifers' suggestions look the best. I would try the maxim touch as it is a great price from pro supex. That or gosen are good options to tame the power. I also hear good things about weiscannon xplosiv multi, but that may be on the springy side.

I would do a search on multi's with good tension stability (if any?) since you'll want to get the best life out of the VS as possible without worrying about a dying cross string.

When/if you run out of VS, give Pacific tough gut a try as a full job, its a lower-powered, stiffer gut; crisp, controlled, very durable. The 16L is solid yet arm friendly.

jrod
10-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Weisscannon Silverstring crosses. Holds tension really well yet it is soft for a poly--should help the VS to last longer.

I agree. The gut/WCSS combo with WCSS crosses is exceptional. I string mine at 55/53 and have good access to power, retain excellent control, massive spin and excellent ball feel. The only issue may be the WCSS might die on you before the gut breaks. For a poly, WCSS retains it's playability longer than any other poly I've tried so it's about as economical as you can get for hybriding a poly with gut.

Edit --> Understand you want no poly, but the primary reason I use poly crosses is to tame the power in the gut and provide some additional control. I am also very concerned about arm issues, so I tried a lot of poly's before settling on WCSS. It is relatively soft for a poly, especially strung at 53. Combined with the gut, you really don't feel like you are playing with a poly at all, until you hit out and the ball stays in.

markwillplay
10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
sn't max touch a multi? Maybe that would be the way to go. I figured that the micro would be cheaper. I can stand a full bed of the VS but I think it would be not smart to use it all up that way if I could make it last twice as long with a cheaper cross.