PDA

View Full Version : Does your prom date have to be necessarily with someone you like?

Brett
04-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Because I was down to the wire and couldn't find anyone to go with, so I asked this girl in my last period and I'm having regrets. She is a little overweight, and I don't want her to think it's more than just friends going and I had no one else to pick. I am going with a group of my friends as well.

To make things worse, there is this hot girl from my work who is home-schooled so she said the only way she can go is if someone asks her, so I said if I asked would she go, lol and she said yeah. Plus it would be a lot easier going with her because I'm pretty sure she has a boyfriend, and it would just be like friends going, and secondly she is hot. Prom night is something everyone remembers, and I don't want it to be like this. I don't know what to do....

ragnaROK
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah it's perfectly fine to go with someone you're just friends with, however it's better to be with a group of friends otherwise it may get awkward. Sorry dude looks like you've already committed yourself. Yeah you can be a jerk and cancel on her after she said yes to you or you can live with it. If you ARE going to cancel make sure she didnt get the dress n all that otherwise you can fuggataboutit.

MegacedU
04-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Ya know what, I think it was very nice of you to ask the first girl. I have friends that are overweight and I can't really relate but they don't always have the best self-esteem, you probably made her whole year when you asked her and I think that was very nice. :)

Prince_of_Tennis
04-13-2005, 06:32 PM
You could be my wingman anytime!

matchpoints
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Take both of them.

Craig Sheppard
04-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I say take the XL chick to the party, show her a good time, look like Mr. Nice Guy, then kick her to the curb at midnight, go pick up the hot chick, and show her some home-schoolin' of your own....awwwww yeah....he shoots....he scores! 2-for-2. You da man.

equinox
04-13-2005, 08:48 PM
You CAN NOT dump the XL girl. That would be extremely cruel and jerky. I'm sorry you're now stuck with the XL girl.

Great thing is she isn't going to be to picky and she'll probably put out easy. Just drink up plenty. :p

matchpoints
04-13-2005, 09:02 PM
You CAN NOT dump the XL girl. That would be extremely cruel and jerky. I'm sorry you're now stuck with the XL girl.

Great thing is she isn't going to be to picky and she'll probably put out easy. Just drink up plenty. :p

Oh man....you always leave the highway and go offroading don't ya equinox?

Deuce
04-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Meg's got this one right.

Capt. Willie
04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Just go with the plump chick and try to make the best of it. Who knows, she might be a very nice girl and you could actually have a good time with her. As far as the hot chick, if she has a boyfriend he might not be too happy with you going on a date with her. You go to drop her off at the end of the night and he's waiting outside her house to kick your ***. And the tux rental place won't be happy about the rips and blood stains. ;)

TommyGun
04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Here my friend, is a way to get everything you want...

Find a slightly overweight or geeky friend who the popular or hot girls in your school say is cute but they won't go out with him. Tell him he is going to the prom. Have him ask home school girl. Tell her you four are going as a group.

All hang together during the prom. Dance with XL some, hot homer some. Have your bud do the same. Odds are at the end of the nite the proper pairing will happen. And even if it doesn't, you get to spend the nite with a bud and two chicks.

If you can afford it, and the chicks will both go, throw in for a limo for the four of you.

After that, my suggestion is to go to www.advancedmacking.com and follow the techniques.

A note of caution: If you don't take the first girl you asked, ALL other girls will look at you like dirt. As Meg said, you just gained respect in her eyes, which if she was in your school and available might give you a leg up on a date with her or her friends...

And geez, just go to the prom and have fun. If you get somethin', great, if not, great, yada yada...

Coda
04-13-2005, 11:36 PM
I love Craig's advice! He hit the nail on the head with that one. But a question I have to ask is, if you asked the hot girl what she would do if you asked her to the prom, then why didn't you just ask her to the prom. That's almost like having your opponent fall to the ground and hitting the ball out while you have a wide open court. Seriously, just go in a group so it's not awkward and have fun. Just because she's your date doesn't mean you have to be glued to her the entire night.

tennisadict
04-13-2005, 11:57 PM
just follow your heart and have fun and believe me you will meet a lot more chick in the future

federer_nadal
04-14-2005, 01:51 AM
how big is she she might not even be that bad, u wouldnt ask if she was like a but ugly bush pig so it cant be that bad or are u very stupid?

Brett
04-14-2005, 02:46 AM
She isn't that fat, and I couldn't ask the hot girl because that was yesterday and I had already picked this girl :(

tennis-n-sc
04-14-2005, 03:41 AM
Let's just say, for instance, you had asked the hot girl first and she said yes. Then two days later she dumps you for a hotter guy in her eyes. How would you feel? It's not nice to mess with prom dates. I suggest you rent the movie "Carrie" and study the contents intensely. Constantly check the rafters overhead for buckets. You get the message. Be very nice to this girl until you get home.

Camilio Pascual
04-14-2005, 04:39 AM
I don't want her to think it's more than just friends going

I like to look for the "essence of the con," (aka rationalization), as I call it, see above.
You state a problem, then don't address it or ask for help on it, because you don't want to solve the problem and then you go on to tell us what you really want to do.
So this is the problem?
How about saying to her something like, "We're going as a group of friends." Problem solved!
Oh, yeah it's not. What you really want to do is go out with Ms. Hottie and get some sympathy for that endeavour from the peanut gallery. We're switching to cashews, the peanuts are thinking we are more than just friends.

Dedans Penthouse
04-14-2005, 07:11 AM
You wanna look good? HONOR YOUR COMMITTMENT to the girl you FIRST asked.

So what if she isn't (in MTV parlance) "a hottie?" Why'd you ask her in the 1st place?....YOU already asked her--BECAUSE SHE WAS (IS) a nice person. And YOU were a nice person to ask her. As MegaaceU previously mentioned, in asking her to go to the prom, you've probably already made her day. Beyond that, you think she isn't SAVORING in anticipation all the cool things a girl would want to think about in the advent of such a "feel good" event, such as what dress she'll wear, who's going with whom, what a great time she's going to have, not to mention most importantly: HER SHOES??!! You've already gotten her sprits up already--and she's savoring your "present" at present.

To repeat: the "anticipatory buzz" that she's experiencing is BECAUSE OF YOU. You've given her something that represents a POSTITIVE in her life--not that anyone's sense of self-worth should be predicated on the actions (or acceptance) of others--but she nevertheless probably feels even better about herself BECAUSE OF YOU. And she (in her anticipation) is ALREADY reaping the good vibrations that should come with such a "looking-forward to" event such as the prom. Take, for example, the "girl talk" that inevitably preceeds Prom Night--she'll be (happily) able to participate in it! My man, you've ALREADY made her feel good about herself by giving her this "happiness" gift---a gift that's ALREAY paying dividends to her spirits--she DOES NOT deserve to get blindsided for such a superficial reason.

No girl does.

As to the "delicate" issues involving larger woman: where's the problem?.....lovemaking is lovemaking and there are to be no problems involved in lovemaking!--whatsoever!--including big babes! I'll assume you're not a "rush job" slobbering clod when it comes to making out, so let's go from there:
When you are finally alone with her, simply put on some soft love music at low volume (in this case, given her "build" might I suggest Lional Ritchie's "THREE TIMES A LADY") ?, sensually prime-the-pump (i.e. her senses) for a considerable/extended amount of time beforehand, and then:

1. Roll her in flour and aim for the grey spot, or:

2. Slap her thigh, and ride the wave in.

Seriously, MegaaceU had it down pat. You've ALREADY made her happy. Make yourself happy because at the end of the day (that evening), you'll KNOW deep down in your heart that you did the RIGHT thing....and you will look good in the eyes of others (esp. the "girls"), and you'll feel better about yourself because you were young man of honor. Forget my lame "plumper-stumper love tips" above. Go with girl #1 and have a (responsible) blast.

The "hottie" meanwhile, should be viewed as a battle, project, objective...whatever......for another day. If (as you implied) she already has a boyfriend, then back off Jack and don't be a creepy/sneaky "b-i-r-d-dog" ... for THAT is truly amatuer-city, and I suspect you're above that sort of thing anyway. Good luck.

One quick story: a couple of years back, I went to my alma-mater to see the Thanksgiving homecoming football game. At halftime, I was aghast to see that year's homecoming queen who was a VERY obese young woman riding her float (it should've been referred to as anything but a float). After my initial imature "take" on what I arbitrarily interpreted as some sort of absurd, sick joke, I was told by those in attendance that THAT girl was "Ms. School Spirit" i.e. she was always there to give support to the "pretty" cheerleaders, the drum majorettes, etc.; always in the background and for the most part, a girl pretty much taken for granted.

Well, goodness (and impressive compassion) reigned and this beaming girl was given her "day-in-the-sun." I'll tell you what: I never felt prouder of that school then I did that day. Not to sound dramatic, but those young kids did a really cool thing, and that day included a really cool moment (the girl btw, actually looked great as well--real pretty face).

Trust your instincts: what would be the decent thing to do? Take it even from a person whose been dropped on his head a lot as an infant---be a gentleman.

ChrisNC
04-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Fun answer: Fat chicks need lovin' too, and they appreciate it more.

Serious answer: Most everyone here is right. Show the fat chick a good time, and she'll tell all her friends how well you treated her. Then, you're good-to-go.

Kevin T
04-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Dedan is on fire today (go to the capri thread in Pro Player talk if you haven't yet). Yeah, I'm with Meg and Dedan on this one, though Craig's idea is more in line with my 16 year old high school self (started school when I had just turned 4-cheap daycare). My first cousin, who is 3 years older than me and was a true mentor in high school and college (I actually finished grad school before he completed his BS) once told me something that rings so true in this situation. I'll clean it up for TW purposes:

Big girls are like mopeds: lots of fun but you don't want your friends to see you with them.

Remember that one, all you soon to be high school graduates and incoming college freshman. It shall serve you well (especially at 2AM when pickins' are slim).

Craig Sheppard
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Dedan is on fire today (go to the capri thread in Pro Player talk if you haven't yet). Yeah, I'm with Meg and Dedan on this one, though Craig's idea is more in line with my 16 year old high school self (started school when I had just turned 4-cheap daycare).

hehe woohoo I'm 16 again! (I'm 28 BTW) heh If I knew back then what I know now.... ;-) Actually I was just blowin' smoke, everyone else here is absolutely right... I'd never in real life do what i suggested. Take the girl you asked, have a good time. You're karma will grow by leaps and bounds and when you do the right thing, it always turns out well.

Kevin T
04-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh, no, no Craig, no explanation is necessary. If I was in this guy's shoes, there is a good chance I would have done EXACTLY what you said. Heck, maybe even in college (probably not...depends on the brand and quantity of beer consumed around that time). Don't mess with Karma, young man!!!

MegacedU
04-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Kevin T - I don't know about South Carolina (Though I've been there) But here, at 2am the parties are just starting.

I actually thought craig's advice was pretty good. You could always hook-up with the pretty girl at the after parties when everyone's hanging just as friends. Then there will be no hard feelings. But Brett - really, you have to go with the first girl you asked and don't regret it. It's like when you change your answers on a test, the first instinct is usually correct. You'll have a both a great time at prom and my respect. :)

Brett
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Prom is the night of my birthday. April 23. And one little thing I have a problem with.

I don't know how to dance. What do I do, because don't you have to know how to dance at Prom?

Also should I buy her a corsage or no if I don't want it to be more than just friends?

MegacedU
04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Yes get the girl a corsage, or a small bouquet (which is what the girls HERE like) even if you are just friends. It's part of the prom package.

At least you admitt that you don't know how to dance. I'll help you. Download "Yeah" by Usher and his rapping friends and just see what you can come up with on your own natural movement to music. OR find a dance club and try getting in off your looks. If you get in, don't go drinking, BUT instead practice your moves. Look at everyone else and take it all in. Don't worry about being a good dancer, guys normally aren't. I love to dance and in all of my public dancing experience, I may have danced with ONE good male dancer. If all else fails read the following:

For a good fast song, approach from the back or front, place your hands just above the girls hip bones (no lower) and follow her lead. Do not move in opposing motions.

SaritaUTHorns
04-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I went to prom with one of my guy friends last year and he bought me a corsage, dinner, the whole works. And we both knew it was nothing more than just friends. So you should definitely get her one and it doesn't have to mean anything. And don't worry too much about the dancing. Just go out there and move a little bit. Meg's right, a lot of guys can't dance, but people most likely won't even be paying attention to whether you can dance or not. Just try to have fun!

Camilio Pascual
04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
At Ohio State our parties are riots.
Scratch that, our parties turn into riots!

Feņa14
04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Yea I never went to mine, it was at a golf club so I just played golf instead.

I have always regreted it, you will probably have a great time with the bigger lass and wonder what all the fuss was about :)

For a good fast song, approach from the back or front, place your hands just above the girls hip bones (no lower) and follow her lead. Do not move in opposing motions.

Ahh so that's the way to do it? it's all too steamy for me

Tour90
04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Dancing shouldn't be a problem. I was once worried when it came to dancing but dancing isn't a problem for me anymore. Just let loose, nobody cares what you do. Nobody is going to stare at you for a couple of minutes so do what feels right. Meg is right, guys aren't dancers and I'll admit it myself I'm not a great dancer, I'm just a freak when it comes to dancing. Approaching from the back is always easy, place your hands on her hips and just move your feet. If that doesn't feel right, place your hands on her thighs, and move her closer, that should definitely feel better. My first dance was like "oh" neat, now it's like I'm a monkey that just escaped from the zoo.

One thing not to do is grope, I haven't done this, but my date told me that her last date "molested" her. So don't do it.

Good Luck

MegacedU
04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Don't put your hands on her thighs. Lot's of people are self conscious about that. My best friend has such a complex. Hips, boys, hips, or belly, no thighs... weird.

Tour90
04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
i guess i forgot to put that she brushed my hands off. jk. I guess my date was comfortable with it.

Kevin T
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Slow dancing is easy. Put arms around waist and twirl. Don't worry about fast dancing. Just hang with the boys at the spiked punch table.

Meg,

I'm from VA, not SC. Bars close at 2AM here. Bummer. I actually grew up next door to the moonshine capital of the state, so I go way back (used to sneak 'shine at the age of 10). I waited tables and bartended my last year of college. When you start drinking at 5pm, 2am IS LATE. That's also about the time the beer goggles go on...well, well...hello me lovelies!! Where've you been all night?

MegacedU
04-14-2005, 02:46 PM
LoL, ahh Va even better. Your location says s.c it's tripping me out. haha.

matchpoints
04-14-2005, 07:02 PM
This thread has taken so many exits, turns, went off roads, then some u-ies, and through some tunnels. Reminds me of Road Trip.

Craig Sheppard
04-15-2005, 04:57 PM
That was just about the worst movie ever dude.

federer_nadal
04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
It all works out on American pie, he ask a geek out and she ends up being alright.

Coda
04-15-2005, 11:22 PM
dancing is easy...just watch bull riding and do what they do...or just do the cabbage patch and any other touchdown celebration dance and you should be fine.

TacoTims
04-18-2005, 02:20 AM
you know what? it all depends on the way you feel about the "fat" girl. My prom went very good 2 weeks ago. I was in a similar situation too, but it was reversed. I had no one to go with, if you recall I was frustated because of this (I posted about this on this board b4). Then I asked a friend if she wants to come with me and she said yes to me. Eventhough my other friend asked her, she picked me because maybe we've been friends since we were little and the fact she felt sorry for me. She made me felt thankful and she made my day. She wasn't being shallow and everything and I still think my prom night was the best night ever. To top it off she was voted as the prettiest girl in the whole prom, we ended up winning prince and princess. So your "fat" friend may felt the same as me before, felt insecure and everything and by you going with her it can give her memories for the rest of her lifes. But this all depends on you. Are you willing to treat her good? I mean if Sarah (mydate) treated me like **** on the prom night, I might've hated the prom. So if you're gonna take the "fat" girl. Treat her good, don't act like a jerk to her :D

AndrewD
04-18-2005, 02:51 AM
Mate, we always had a rule with proms and that was to never go with your current partner. Chances are high you'll end up breaking-up in spectacularly messy fashion and what will you have to remember that big social event? A photo of yourself looking pretty darn sharp, standing next to someone you hate. Much better to go with just a friend. That way you'll still be able to look at the pics in 10 years time and not cringe.

Perhaps, the girl you asked is thinking exactly the same thing. Just because she isn't model thin doesn't necessarily mean she's desperate. Might be she only looks on you as a nice guy but nothing more. Dont have any preconceived ideas as to her interest in you or you'll put a dampner on the night. Just have some fun, treat her with some dignity and respect. That way you'll both do fine and have a much better time than the couples who always seem to fight like cats and dogs on the night and predictably break-up right afterwards.

Brett
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Bump......

Coda
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
bumping her is exactly what you should be doing on the dance floor...alright my one stupid post is used for today :)

theace21
04-19-2005, 09:07 PM
AndrewD nailed the response. I work at a high school, and your best time will be if you go with a friend and have a good time...Someone always fights and breaks up at the prom...Major drama, and of course all the girls feel for the girl and leave their date to help their friend...Meanwhile the guys survey and see what is available. Pick a good friend and have a blast!!

Superior_Forehand
04-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Brett, prom is not about going with people that you "like". Prom dates are nothing more then temporary alliances to further ones social standing in school. The hotter the chick the better; dont worry about her personality. In fact, you may even end up going with someone you have nothing in common with or dont really like. The key is that you have mutual friends. If you dont, you might find yourself in for an awkward night.

Just kidding, find a nice cute girl that you like and have a good time :)

matchpoints
04-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Brett, prom is not about going with people that you "like". Prom dates are nothing more then temporary alliances to further ones social standing in school. The hotter the chick the better; dont worry about her personality. In fact, you may even end up going with someone you have nothing in common with or dont really like. The key is that you have mutual friends. If you dont, you might find yourself in for an awkward night.

You know you weren't kidding

K!ck5w3rvE
04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Show the fat chick a good time, and she'll tell all her friends how well you treated her. Then, you're good-to-go.

Yeah..good to go with one of her hot friends lol.

MegacedU
04-23-2005, 05:14 PM
This thread is so incredibly amusing. I'm not going to say that "looks aren't everything" because if you're brutally honest, they kind of are. BUT as long as you go with the first person you asked and you don't DITCH her within five minutes, then by all means be quite friendly with the prettier girl at the after parties.

Superior_Forehand
04-23-2005, 07:36 PM
You know you weren't kidding

Yeah but what I said was true :)

Matt H.
04-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Take both of them.

listen to this man. 8)

MegacedU
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
You can't take them both. The fat girl wont want to stand next to the prettier thin girl. It makes the pretty girl look that much better and the fat chick that much more fat.

Dopke
04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
bumping her is exactly what you should be doing on the dance floor...alright my one stupid post is used for today :)

LOL. I must admit, I started laughing out loud in front of my monitor after reading that one.

Alliances? What are we watching now, Survivor or The Office? Haha. Social Standing? There is no social standing after prom. Prom is like the last thing before Graduation. After prom, whatever status you have doesn't matter anymore cause you in the "real word" now -.-.....

Superior_Forehand
04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah man I was talking about prom from a highschoolers perspective. I have been out of highschool for two years and just have more perspective on the silly games that everyone plays there.

MegacedU
04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Silly games are the reason why highschool has been good to me man.

Kobble
04-26-2005, 03:29 PM
I would probably stick with the original girl. I wouldn't want stuff like that on my conscience. As for hot girls, plenty of hot girls in college to try your luck at, and I mean plenty. Where do you think the best of the best go after high school? They go to college. It is an all-star gathering of every high school in the land my friend.

Superior_Forehand
04-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Are you a popular chick megan?

Coda
04-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Where do you think the best of the best go after high school? They go to college. It is an all-star gathering of every high school in the land my friend.

LOL, now that is funny...next september I'll be in that all-star gathering.

MegacedU
04-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Define "popular chick". Just Meg btw.

Steve Huff
04-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Look man, you're going as FRIENDS. Don't dump the one you asked. You sound like a decent guy, and I'm sure it would get to you later. You wouldn't be that popular any more either if it got out that you bailed on someone at the last minute and took someone else. It's good that you asked someone from your class. Lot's of senior girls don't have dates because senior guys are going out with juniors and sophmores. HS was the most fun years of my life, but I don't envy you guys nowdays. You got more STD's floating around than the Spanish Armada had ships. People get mad at you now, they don't threaten to beat you up, they threaten to shoot you. Anyway, just stick with the girl you asked. You'll be glad you did. Save dating the "hot chick" for when she breaks up with her boyfriend.

Dopke
05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
LOL. Nice comparison to the spanish armada. Ah, it's good to have taken APUSH.