PDA

View Full Version : Nalbandian's Big Banger Orig. 64lbs real and/or crazy?

Xenakis
10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I was at my local tennis shop today and asked to have my RDS001MP strung with what I thought was Nalbandian's setup (when he used that racquet, though perhaps someone will tell me it was PJ.)

Luxilon Big Banger Original at 64lbs, according to this source he still uses that on his newer RDiS100MP (again, this might be a PJ, no idea.)

David Nalbandian Yonex RDiS 100
Luxilon Big Banger Original 64lbs

http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

First question, did he use this string setup and does he still?.

Second point, is it a rather extreme string choice and tension combination?.

The woman in the tennis shop was a bit concerned when I asked to have my racquet strung with this setup, first she rang Yonex to ask whether that frame could take that tension (I had read it could go up to 65lbs which they confirmed) then she rang the Yonex sales rep who is a good player and general tennis equipment nerd/guru apparently, I ended up speaking to him on the phone about it.

He said Nalbandian probably doesn't use Big Banger original any more and probably uses either ALU Power or Roughs (apparently most players have moved towards these strings, hardly anyone uses Big Banger original anymore.)

He also said Nalbandian uses a 28inch racquet (or a 28.5 can't remember) which further skewed the setup data (not sure how, what difference does it make?.)

He suggested I went with Alu Roughs at 58-60lbs (I told him I use roughs in my RQiS 1 Tour and was happy with them.) He said not to go above 60lbs with the RDS001MP or it 'will feel like a plank'. I went with it in the end, and left my racquet to be strung with Roughs at 59lbs

I am happy with my RQiS and the setup and want to use the RDS as a sort of experiment racquet to try strings and setups etc so I am still tempted to try the Big Banger original at 64lbs, just wondering what it feels like and if I don't like I can just get something else put in instead (as it's not my main racquet anyway.)

So (sorry for long post) is what Nalbandian uses too extreme?, would I risk breaking my frame? (this was suggested in the shop today.)

Basically I want to reduce the power of the RDS001MP and have something very control orientated, not bothered if it feels a bit boardy really (I don't think anyway, willing to risk it.)

Glad the woman at the tennis shop took the time to research all of this and I'm sure the Yonex rep knows what he is talking about (in general) but just wanted a few second opinions.

zidane339
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Shouldn't break your racquet, tension isn't that extreme.

Should feel very very stiff though, so it will feel like a board.

You would be better stringing in the fifties.

zidane339
10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
And according to a recent stringing log he is using BBO, but at 46- 48 lbs?

You should search the forum and see if there is a more definitive source out there.

ronalditop
10-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Well based on what the yonex rep said about Nalbandian using a 28'' racquet, I believe that could be the reason why he strings so high, since longer racquets have more power so even at that tension it wouldnt feel as stiff as if it was strung on a 27'' racquet.

Xenakis
10-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the reponses guys.

I'm tempted to ring the shop and ask them to string the RDS at 62lbs or something (if they haven't done the stringing already) as the RDS is a more powerful racquet than the RQiS (larger head size for one thing) and if I have the RDS with the same setup as the RQiS it will have more power, which I don't want (I want control more than a soft/comfortable feel.)

Hmm.

Also, if you check that colinthestringer link it says Tommy Haas uses Alu Power at 75lbs!!.

Why?, and how does the racquet take it?.

zerox277
10-20-2009, 03:45 PM
.....Well, if you think that 64 is extreme listen to what i have to say.

I use the exact same racket as you. And i use to use Luxilon Alu power at 70-75 pounds <<<<<<< yes in the 70's and my racket is fine. I have no arm problems (yet) and it does feel boardy but i don't mind. Don't listen to others tennis is all about preference.

vsbabolat
10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Well according to the USRSA site Nalbandian has used 64lbs. But has also has gone as low as 53lbs at the 2009 Indian Wells event.

Xenakis
10-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Thanks again for the responses, i just asked for 61/62lbs instead so i'll see how it goes. Good to know the frame can take the tension thanks very much.

Power Player
10-21-2009, 05:47 AM
It's no good to string poly this tight. You will see what I mean after a while. I was caught in this trap for a bit myself. The racquet feels super stiff and after a few months your arm will hurt. Most pros are stringing lower now with full poly.

Xenakis
10-21-2009, 05:55 AM
It's no good to string poly this tight. You will see what I mean after a while. I was caught in this trap for a bit myself. The racquet feels super stiff and after a few months your arm will hurt. Most pros are stringing lower now with full poly.

That's what the Yonex rep said, thing is the RDS is not my main racquet so I just wanted to see how it feels with a tight setup.

I normally use an RQiS 1 Tour light which is strung up at 58lbs which is about right for me, my 'theory' was to try and get the RDS at about the same (low) power as the RQiS so I thought I should try and string it tighter than the RQiS (which is a less powerful racquet, also it's the lighter version too.)

Hopefully with the RDS at 62lbs ish I'll have a heavier frame with slightly larger headsize but with the same control/low power as the RQiS, more or less, perhaps.

FloridaAG
10-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Why would you want his exact set-up? Anyway, his frame is also something like 14 ounces, so you should factor that in as well.

Rabbit
10-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Man, I'd be careful stringing a 16 gauge poly that high. Remember that Nalbandian is a professional with world class timing. From personal experience and observation of more than a few players, poly will tear your arm up if you're not careful. I'm not throwing rocks, just voicing concern.

Power Player
10-21-2009, 06:18 AM
That's what the Yonex rep said, thing is the RDS is not my main racquet so I just wanted to see how it feels with a tight setup.

I normally use an RQiS 1 Tour light which is strung up at 58lbs which is about right for me, my 'theory' was to try and get the RDS at about the same (low) power as the RQiS so I thought I should try and string it tighter than the RQiS (which is a less powerful racquet, also it's the lighter version too.)

Hopefully with the RDS at 62lbs ish I'll have a heavier frame with slightly larger headsize but with the same control/low power as the RQiS, more or less, perhaps.

You probably want a different racquet if you don't like the power to be honest. I used to think this way with my APDCs and prior to that my tecnifibre V02 max..I realized I needed a racquet with a higher swingweight but lower power level. I was stringing at 60#s, and now I am at 54...makes a huge difference in arm comfort.

Sup2Dresq
10-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Well based on what the yonex rep said about Nalbandian using a 28'' racquet, I believe that could be the reason why he strings so high, since longer racquets have more power so even at that tension it wouldnt feel as stiff as if it was strung on a 27'' racquet.

Is 28' length true? Seems like I keep hearing players 6'0 and under are using a 28 inch racquet. Ferrero, Davy, Ferrer, and now Nalby?

Can't say I know a definitive source to confirm, but there has been posts by peeps on TW that talk about it.

I played a long time with the Pure Drive XL and it definitely needed to be restrained a little on groundies and serves. However you made up for it with better service angles and spin.. IMO.

Xenakis
10-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Why would you want his exact set-up? Anyway, his frame is also something like 14 ounces, so you should factor that in as well.

I don't really, just thought that as I have more or less the same racquet that he used (sans extra weight and custom length) I would try a similar setup and see how it works, it's an experiment. If it's no good I'll just get it restrung at a lower tension (it's not my main racquet.)

Man, I'd be careful stringing a 16 gauge poly that high. Remember that Nalbandian is a professional with world class timing. From personal experience and observation of more than a few players, poly will tear your arm up if you're not careful. I'm not throwing rocks, just voicing concern.

Understood, thanks for the concern but I'll give it a try and see how it works, I'm looking forward to it.

You probably want a different racquet if you don't like the power to be honest. I used to think this way with my APDCs and prior to that my tecnifibre V02 max..I realized I needed a racquet with a higher swingweight but lower power level. I was stringing at 60#s, and now I am at 54...makes a huge difference in arm comfort.

I'll see how it goes, I like the weight and feel of the RDS but perhaps it is too powerful (nice on the serve though), I might just end up putting some lead on my RQiS 1 Tour Light and/or getting the full weight version. Time will tell, I should be able to test it out at the weekend possibly or latest next week (lots of rain forecast here this week unfortunately.) I'll report back on how it is (if I can still use my arm to type that is.)

Power Player
10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Your arm won't bug you for a while. I doubt it will be immediate, it builds up over a while before you get soreness.

You will know the minute and second that the poly dies at that tension though.

JT_2eighty
10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
This is somewhat related but not really at all. Anyways, Muster used to string his PT630 with isospeed at 90 lbs. I wonder how that translates into poly tensions, but I thought that was quite a ridiculous tension.

When it comes to emulating the pros, I wouldn't emulate their tensions for the reasons by the above posters.

scotus
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
James Blake strings just as tight, if not tighter, although I think he uses the ALU instead of the Original.

ronalditop
10-21-2009, 12:38 PM
James Blake strings just as tight, if not tighter, although I think he uses the ALU instead of the Original.

Blake's racquet is one of the heaviest of the tour.

ronalditop
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Your arm won't bug you for a while. I doubt it will be immediate, it builds up over a while before you get soreness.

You will know the minute and second that the poly dies at that tension though.

Your right, it happened to me. I used to use poly at mid tension and it didnt bother me at all for a few months, but then suddenly my wrist and elbow started hurting so much that I had to stop playing for days and apply ice and use anti-inflammatory everyday to let it heal. Now that I use low tensions I dont feel no more arm pain.

chess9
10-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Blake's racquet is one of the heaviest of the tour.

How heavy? Like 14 oz?

-Robert

Xenakis
10-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Exactly, quite a few players seem to use high poly tensions, I just want to see how that feels rather than play it safe and live forever in ignorance (I'm 31 and have no arm problems)

If it starts to hurt a bit I'll change it, I'm not going into this blindly though I do appreciate the concern.

Btw Scotus, is that a reference to Duns Scotus?.

drgreenthumb
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
you should NOT copy the string tension of your fav players. Their arms are not like your (or your arm is not like theirs).

I have played full and hybrid BB (rough, spin, orig BB) on rackets. anything >58lbs just feels like slapping a brick wall with tremenduos tension put on your entire arm!.

you can definitely give it a try and worst that would happen is you just have to cut the string job and get set-up lower.

some6uy008
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Didn't Sampras used to string at 70lbs?

Fedace
10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
why does Nalbandian rub his Sweaty Palm on the string bed ? Does it make the Luxilon BB play better. ??

Danstevens
10-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Didn't Sampras used to string at 70lbs?

Various figures float around but they generally range from 75-80Lbs. Borg also used tensions around those sort of figures. They both used natural gut though (Babolat VS for Pistol Pete and I think Borg used the same) and natural gut is the softest string type you can buy so it wouldn't be as harsh as anything else at the same tension.

Xenakis
10-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I forgot to reply to this, I played with the RDS001MP a couple of times since it was strung (61/62 Alu Power rough), it's much much better than before but for some reason I still don't like it as much as my RQiS 1 Tour light.

I've added some lead to both racquets now after playing with some proper players the other night, the RQiS especially couldn't handle the pace of the shots, especially serves, kept getting twisted around or knocked out of the way.

I played better that night with RDS001MP, much more stable and I could swing at the ball hard and keep it in, or block a fast serve and not have it fly off like it hit a trampoline as it was with the soft string in it before (larger headsize probably helped on returns a bit too.)

But since adding lead to both I prefer the RQiS so far after having a hit with a good player today (added about 30 grams to the RQiS 1 Tour Light taking it to about 325/330 unstrung, and I added about 15 grams to the RDS001MP taking it to about the same weight.)

I don't feel the need to go above about 58lbs (Alu Rough) with the RQiS but if I have the RDS restrung I'll stick with a high tension as it seems about right power wise for me now, just don't like the feel of it as much as the RQiS.

No arm problems either, yet.

Thanks all for the advice/tips.

scotus
10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Btw Scotus, is that a reference to Duns Scotus?.

Yes, it is a reference to Doctor subtilis himself.

Cloud Atlas
10-26-2009, 03:10 PM

I'm a descendant of John Duns Scotus. In all seriousness!!! You can start with the dunce jokes now. Everybody does.

Xenakis
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Kudos.

I'm a descendant of John Duns Scotus. In all seriousness!!! You can start with the dunce jokes now. Everybody does.

Really?, how did you find this out?.

scotus
10-26-2009, 04:51 PM

No dunce jokes from me. He was one of the smartest men ever.

rosheem
10-27-2009, 01:54 PM
the RQiS especially couldn't handle the pace of the shots, especially serves, kept getting twisted around or knocked out of the way.

I was just curious about this, since I just ordered the RQiS Tour after trying it out for a few sessions. It didn't notice any instability at all.

Maybe it was because you are using the lighter version? It could also be because I'm switching from an even lighter racquet (Wilson Kobra Tour).

But I was also curious...how would you characterize your grip on a return of serve? Maybe to be more specific, would how would you rate the firmness of your grip from 1-10?

I find that the beauty of these head-light racquets is that it only takes a little extra grip pressure and maybe some nice leverage in the wrist to really stabilize the racquet nicely...just wondering what your thoughts were on that. I always hear that heavy, stiff racquets provide more stability on returns or against heavy hitters.

I think there are two different ways to stabilize contact: one is with momentum, using a heavier racquet. The other is by firming up the grip and wrist a little bit, which I think is easier to do with a more head-light frame.

Any thoughts?

Xenakis
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I was just curious about this, since I just ordered the RQiS Tour after trying it out for a few sessions. It didn't notice any instability at all.

Maybe it was because you are using the lighter version? It could also be because I'm switching from an even lighter racquet (Wilson Kobra Tour).

But I was also curious...how would you characterize your grip on a return of serve? Maybe to be more specific, would how would you rate the firmness of your grip from 1-10?

I find that the beauty of these head-light racquets is that it only takes a little extra grip pressure and maybe some nice leverage in the wrist to really stabilize the racquet nicely...just wondering what your thoughts were on that. I always hear that heavy, stiff racquets provide more stability on returns or against heavy hitters.

I think there are two different ways to stabilize contact: one is with momentum, using a heavier racquet. The other is by firming up the grip and wrist a little bit, which I think is easier to do with a more head-light frame.

Any thoughts?

I think it's mostly a weight issue, the light version is quite a bit lighter than the normal one, since I added some lead to the throat it's much better (I think i've taken the weight up to about the same as a regular 1 Tour)

Re my grip etc, I haven't been playing that long (probably 3.5 equivalent at a guess) so I can't say I have it right with any certainty but I use an eastern forehand grip and a two handed backhand (an eastern backhand with support from my non dominant right arm.)

It was on my forehand side I noticed the problem with hard serve returns and I do grip as loosely as I can (to avoid various injuries hopefully) but with the extra weight it seems fine now so I won't be changing anything (would rather use a heavier racquet and have a loose grip than the have it the other way round.)

I really like the 1 tour anyway, not really used the RDS001MP much, seems a bit cumbersome by comparison but glad to have it as a spare. Might invest in a regular 1 Tour at some point, if I can find one ex-demo perhaps.