PDA

View Full Version : How the pros hit a kick serve

Kedar
10-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I think that this vid really shows the direction of the spin you have to put on the ball in order to hit a good kicker. Granted, your serve may not be as big as the pros, but this vid gives you a good idea of where to start.
Watch his racquet very closely (he is a lefty but this is a good view of how the racquet moves during a kick serve)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fFGieM0ho&feature=related

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Granted, it may not be as big as the pros, but this vid gives you a good idea of where to start.

Gee... Guess Melzer retired then... Or he was never considered a pro.

Guess #39 in the world isn't a legitimate pro. :?

(He's warming up serves by the way)

Melzer has one of the best kickers I've ever seen. (in terms of movement at least)

ryangoring
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
^^^ Ha ha. Good one.

Kedar
10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
What I meant to say was that YOUR kick serve may not be as big as the pros, I realize That Melzer is a pro

thanks for pointing that out. It may have caused some confusion. I'll edit it

goober
10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
nm

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
What I meant to say was that YOUR kick serve may not be as big as the pros, I realize That Melzer is a pro

thanks for pointing that out. It may have caused some confusion. I'll edit it

Haha. I don't know whether my dyslexia got me again or you edited that. Way to pull one over on me. :shock:

But yeah... The scary part is... A lot of us would jump up several whole NTRP ratings if we had the kick serve Melzer is hitting in that video, yet it's only a warm up serve and he can hit a much bigger one with more pace! :shock:

Melzer has one of the most beautiful kickers I've ever seen. And I love watching him play too. He has a nice game.

Good view of how to swing on a kicker, but there's numerous ways to swing on the ball to generate a good one. Depends on your style and what you think works best for you. For me, I have trouble getting the ball to NOT twist on me a lot of the times. :(

LeeD
10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
NOT twisting, just toss out right for a righthander and out to the left for a lefty. So you get slice with top flavor instead of twist.

chess9
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
He hits a big ball for an average sized guy. Does anyone have a better video of him serving? Preferably in slow-mo?

-Robert

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
NOT twisting, just toss out right for a righthander and out to the left for a lefty. So you get slice with top flavor instead of twist.

I like keeping my service toss the same for disguise. Otherwise I would. I'm doing that for practice to make sure my body can differentiate between hitting slice spins and twist spins.

It's really hard when I'm trying to disguise my second serve, where the toss is to my left (right handed). I can do it on the deuce court, but the ad court I find it almost impossible to pull off without changing the toss (and maybe slowing down the swing speed, which is a major no no).

Oh, and I've hit some slices with a LOT of top flavor. Those are the coolest but at the same time, probably the easiest to attack if the opponent commits to hitting it without fear of missing. That's why you have to mix it up with 80% kickers to the backhand and maybe put some extra pace to it. If you mix it up well, you wrongfoot your opponent and can get either an ace or a forced error very easily. It's even better when they will go through great lengths to avoid hitting a backhand or try to be aggressive with the forehand, because they'll be even more eager to move to their left.

tennis angel
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I think that this vid really shows the direction of the spin you have to put on the ball in order to hit a good kicker. Granted, your serve may not be as big as the pros, but this vid gives you a good idea of where to start.
Watch his racquet very closely (he is a lefty but this is a good view of how the racquet moves during a kick serve)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fFGieM0ho&feature=related

Note how he hits up and the racket moves from left to right; that the secret to the kicker

wyutani
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
lefty doing a kick serve is pointless...i mean it jumps up to the righties forehand.

Sangria Munky
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
lefty doing a kick serve is pointless...i mean it jumps up to the righties forehand.

WHAT IF THE OPPONENT HAS A WEAK FOREHAND? THEN IT WILL BE A GOOD TOOL TO EXPLOIT IT

prattle128
10-19-2009, 10:17 PM
or kick it to their backhand, which will bounce towards their forehand-side, and jam them by bouncing into their body. or kick it to a leftys backhand!

Failed
10-19-2009, 10:53 PM
It can be very annoying, a good lefty kicker that is.

Blade0324
10-20-2009, 06:42 AM
This is a pretty nice kicker but it's not overly special in the pro ranks. He could actually get a bit more bite to get the ball to kick out to the side more if he snapped his follow through out to his left a bit more and kept the racquet a bit higher up on the follow through. This really makes a huge difference in how much the ball moves to the side after the bounce. That said I would still love to be able to hit a kicker with as much pace as he hits his.

wyutani
10-20-2009, 06:56 AM
WHAT IF THE OPPONENT HAS A WEAK FOREHAND? THEN IT WILL BE A GOOD TOOL TO EXPLOIT IT

we're talking ametuers here. which ametuer has a weaker fh than bh? thats rare.

drakulie
10-20-2009, 07:09 AM

Not necessarily. On the deuce side, it takes the player completely off the court. And being that he is lefty, he has an advantage in that right handers don't see this type of serve because there are not a whole bunch of lefties out there.

Nellie
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
^^^Agreed, as a righty, the short kicker wide to the ad side is my best serve. I can certainly see why a lefty would want that same serve to the duece side.

LeeD
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
As a lefty with a twist much weaker than Melzer's....
You twist wide duece court to a rightie in order to move him well past his doubles alley, so you open up the court. If your twist doesn't bounce high enough, it goes into your opponent's strike zone...not good. HOWEVER, if you can bounce your twist about forehead high to even a 6'5" player, it's good enough! Sure, he hits one winner out of 4. So you get to volley 2 tries, hopefully aggressively into the open court. That one unaccounted for could be his miss, your miss, his forcing ball, your error, or any combination of. You can't account for every ball.

Slazenger07
10-21-2009, 06:46 AM

Being a lefty you should know that its definetly not pointless. Probably not as effective as our lefty slice, but mix it in and you'll give people headaches.