PDA

View Full Version : Which of the top 5 has the lowest odds to win a slam in 2010

grafselesfan
10-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Which of the current mens top 5 do you believe is least likely to win a slam next year.

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Graf & Seles

lol

OddJack
10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Actually, this is an interesting question to ask because of the timing.

Here is my highest chance to lower:

Rodge
Rafa
Delpo
Murray
Djoker

So I think Nole has the lowest chance.

Rodge because or Wimb, Nadal will have good chance in FO,
Delpo has proved he can play 5 sets.
Murray appears to be more motivated than Nole, even though his chances is not much more than Djok.

jamesblakefan#1
10-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Djokovic. I stated earlier this year I don't see him ever winning a slam again, and unless he gets a glorious draw, I don't think he will. He has failed to beat any of the big guys in a slam since that AO victory in 08 (Nadal or Fed), and I just don't see him regaining that form he had late 07-early 08. I don't think he has it mentally to win a slam again. His play this year really showed me a lot and not in a good way.

I definitely like Murray and JMDP's chances more than his, and Roger and Rafa of course goes without mentioning.

ZhengJieisagoddess
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I haven't seen a match yet in which Murray impressed me. Delpo, of course. Djokavic, absolutely. Fed and rafa: goes without saying. But Murray? Maybe I'm just not watching enough Tennis Channel, but I haven't seen it.

jamesblakefan#1
10-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I haven't seen a match yet in which Murray impressed me. Delpo, of course. Djokavic, absolutely. Fed and rafa: goes without saying. But Murray? Maybe I'm just not watching enough Tennis Channel, but I haven't seen it.

Is this impressive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8jdpmCaVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOB6MJvjH9U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsX37XQE7c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rpXJnOV-lg&feature=related

I think Murray will win a slam next year.

crazylevity
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Del Potro might suffer from the sophomore year struggle. Quite a few guys don't win their next slam in the year immediately after they've won their first. Djokovic comes to mind, and I think we will see a resurgent Djokovic next year and a Del Potro who is struggling to cope with new expectations.

flying24
10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I actually think there is a good shot neither Nadal or Djokovic wins a slam next year. That being said my choice is Djokovic. I would be pretty surprised if he won a slam next year. The thing about him is he is actually playing pretty well but he doesnt have the confidence to beat the other top players anymore, other than Nadal on a hard court and I sort of doubt Nadal will ever be the standard bearer to win hard court slams again.

Ripster
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm going with Murray. I think he'll get one eventually, but I'm sick and tired of picking him and then he just disappoints. Until he wins that first one I won't be picking him anymore.

grafselesfan
10-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm going with Murray. I think he'll get one eventually, but I'm sick and tired of picking him and then he just disappoints. Until he wins that first one I won't be picking him anymore.

The interesting thing though is the longer he takes the harder it will become.

boredone3456
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Actually, this is an interesting question to ask because of the timing.

Here is my highest chance to lower:

Rodge
Rafa
Delpo
Murray
Djoker

So I think Nole has the lowest chance.

Rodge because or Wimb, Nadal will have good chance in FO,
Delpo has proved he can play 5 sets.
Murray appears to be more motivated than Nole, even though his chances is not much more than Djok.

This is sort of what I was thinking. Fed is still good enough that I am sure he wins at least one, Nadal will probably get one...after that it becomes tough to say. Novak took a dip in form this year, where Murray and Delpo seemed to both raise their own games a bit. Murray was an underachiever big time at the majors this year compared to Novak....but I think Murray's consistancy outside the slams have a better chance of paying dividends next year than Novaks up and down nature.

grafselesfan
10-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I am pretty surprised there are so few votes for Del Potro. He is definitely a real contender and could possibly win 1 or even 2 slams next year. However he also could easily win 0. I am not sure who to vote for yet but I am pretty stunned to see him with only 2 votes and Murray and Djokovic with so many more. The guy hasnt even won a Masters title yet, he certainly isnt a safe bet to keep winning slams just yet.

crazylevity
10-20-2009, 03:50 AM
The thing about Del Potro is that, with guys who have just won their first slam, it's very unpredictable. They could gain a load of confidence in their abilities and go on a tear, winning slams and MS titles left right and centre. But they could struggle to cope with increased pressure and expectations, and not win a slam for some time as well. There are numerous examples of both.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2009, 03:53 AM
Very good thread, and imo very hard to say.
I wanna see how DelPo reacts to winning his 1st slam, he hasnt played very good since the USO, is he satisfied? Who knows?
Djokovic seems to be a SF-slam-wonder...he has trouble getting through (i dont blame him though)
Murray, ive almost forgot about him :shock: Maybe he is regrouping and will be a major threat in 2010.
Nadal- depends all on injuries.
Federer- If he wants to win a slam in 2010 he will, its all about motivation imo.

If i have to say 1 name i think it will be...Djoko...vic. Yes.

lambielspins
10-20-2009, 06:03 AM
LOL at Turning Troll voting for Federer.

Cesc Fabregas
10-20-2009, 06:22 AM
1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Djokovic
4.Murray
5.Del Potro

So Del Potro.

Blinkism
10-20-2009, 06:27 AM
I wonder how people will react to Djokovic winning the Grand Slam in 2010

You heard it here first, folks!

:)

egn
10-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Fed
Nadal
Djoker
Del Po
Murray.

Fed has the highest odds but if he doesn't I wouldnt be suprised same goes for Nadal. Djoker I ranked ahead of Del Po and Murray because of the US Open. He comes into the US Open no matter what slump he is on and goes the distance. Also as much as we crack on Djoker outside of that French Open failure in all the big tournaments he has not been knocked out earlier than the QFs. I think whatever was wrong he will fix. Djoker has a few slams in him left I feel.

Del Potro may never pass Murray in the rankings but I could see him winning another slam before Murray. Week in and out Murray might do better, but Del Potro since his beat down by Fed at the AO showed if he can play well on the surface he will fight to his death. I can see him going deep in any slam not named Wimbledon next year.

Murray...until he goes deep in two slams in a year I think he will never be confident. Two years at the top and he has what 4 MS but only two slam semis..Del Potro has been just hanging for this year and although doesn't have as many small accomplishments all ready bested him. Djoker had 5 semis in a row at one point. Murray needs to figure out what is making him break down.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2009, 07:24 AM
1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Djokovic
4.Murray
5.Del Potro

So Del Potro.
Really...? :shock:

wyutani
10-20-2009, 07:33 AM
1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Djokovic
4.Murray
5.Del Potro

so federer.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Djokovic
4.Murray
5.Del Potro

so federer.
You think Federer has the lowest chance of these 5 winning a slam in 2010? :|
May i ask how you reached that conclusion?

valiant
10-20-2009, 08:01 AM
You think Federer has the lowest chance of these 5 winning a slam in 2010? :|
May i ask how you reached that conclusion?

I think he dint read the question correctly :)

Cyan
10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
From most likely to win to least likely

Fed
Rafa
Nole
Murray
Del Po

Del Po is last because Nole's 2008>> Del Po's 2009 and despite that Nole had a sophomore slump in 2009. I expect the same from Del Po. Winning slams for consecutive yrs. is not the usual norm.

P_Agony
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I have to say Del Potro, I think his best chance is either AO or USO, but I doubt he'll win two in a row, so he probably won't win AO. That leaves the USO, and Federer will want it back, Nadal will want his first one, Murray will want to maintain his status as the top HC player in the world today, and Djokovic..., well he just might avoid Federer this time and then everything is possible.

flying24
10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
That leaves the USO, and Federer will want it back, Nadal will want his first one, Murray will want to maintain his status as the top HC player in the world today, and Djokovic..., well he just might avoid Federer this time and then everything is possible.

Nadal can want it all he wants, he is highly unlikely to ever win the U.S Open at this point. Murray's status as the "top HC player in the world today"!? This is news to me.

P_Agony
10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Nadal can want it all he wants, he is highly unlikely to ever win the U.S Open at this point. Murray's status as the "top HC player in the world today"!? This is news to me.

He had some bad luck at the slams but he won 2 HC MS titles, and reached 1 final and 1 semi. The only players who had better HC results this year are Nadal, DP, and Federer. I still think Murray will win a slam very soon.

shaysrebelII
10-20-2009, 01:13 PM
it's gotta be djoker. he just doesn't have it right now, and I have no reason to believe he'll get it together for the majors, especially since he'll have to go through the other top guys to get there.

Blinkism
10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
If Djokovic doesn't win atleast 3 Slams next year, I think a lot of people will be disappointed.

NamRanger
10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
He had some bad luck at the slams but he won 2 HC MS titles, and reached 1 final and 1 semi. The only players who had better HC results this year are Nadal, DP, and Federer. I still think Murray will win a slam very soon.

Doubt it, he's a mental choker on the big stage.

kOaMaster
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
1.Federer
2.Nadal
3.Djokovic
4.Murray
5.Del Potro

So Del Potro.

going with this list as well.

SuperDuy
10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Why isnt roddick in here?

IvanAndreevich
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Why isnt roddick in here?

Because he isn't current top 5 :-?

Agassifan
10-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Other than federer, murray is the only guy with a realistic chance at all 4 slams next year (assuming the conditions/surface at the french stay the same). Amazing talent.

Blake0
10-20-2009, 06:29 PM
It has to be djokovic or murray, murray hasn't gotten a slam yet but seems he could get one in the near future, while djokovic last slam was 2007 AO, almost 2 years ago.

JeMar
10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm torn between Del Potro, Murray, and Djokovic.

I strongly believe that we will have one slam winner that's not in the current top five.

Falloutjr
10-20-2009, 06:54 PM
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Murray
4. Del Potro
5. Joker

You can't discount the fact that Nadal just DOMINATES clay. He wins nearly every match he plays on clay and the fact is, there is a huge difference between clay and hard, much more than that of clay and grass, so, in my opinion, anyone with a big serve can win on grass and clay, but Nadal clearly has the hugest advantage in terms of court surface. Those defensive baseliners from Spain just seem to get it done at RG. As for Rodge's spot, he's simply the best player in the game, and he dominates grass, so I think he's a heavy favorite at Wimbledon. Murray is also a guy I think has a chance to win any slam besides the FO. I'm not so much familiar with Del Potro's game, but I have more faith in it than Chokovic.

paulorenzo
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Murray
4. Del Potro
5. Joker

You can't discount the fact that Nadal just DOMINATES clay. He wins nearly every match he plays on clay and the fact is, there is a huge difference between clay and hard, much more than that of clay and grass, so, in my opinion, anyone with a big serve can win on grass and clay, but Nadal clearly has the hugest advantage in terms of court surface. Those defensive baseliners from Spain just seem to get it done at RG. As for Rodge's spot, he's simply the best player in the game, and he dominates grass, so I think he's a heavy favorite at Wimbledon. Murray is also a guy I think has a chance to win any slam besides the FO. I'm not so much familiar with Del Potro's game, but I have more faith in it than Chokovic.
there's only one slam played on clay, and nadal isn't even a shoo-in for the winning spot anymore, especially since playing conditions there have been sped up some.

BorisBeckerFan
10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I can't believe anyone would seriously think that either Fed or Nadal are the least likely to win a slam. Despite Fed getting older and Nadal's health issues I think these two will at least win 3 out of the 4 if not all 4 slams. The next most likely person to win would be Juan because his game is strong enough that it doesn't require Fed or Nadal being off in order for him to get the win. With Djokovic and Murray I get the sense that they need Fed or Nadal to be off there A game in order pull off the victory. Murray is the least likely to get a Slam. Doesn't mean he won't or can't but just least likely in my opnion.

Falloutjr
10-20-2009, 07:21 PM
there's only one slam played on clay, and nadal isn't even a shoo-in for the winning spot anymore, especially since playing conditions there have been sped up some.

True, there's only one slam on clay, but clay is the court where you get the biggest court advantage if you can play it well, and Nadal is quite capable of that, and it's not like Nadal hasn't been able to compete in other slams so he still has the advantage IMO. Winning a slam multiple years in a row says something.

Falloutjr
10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I can't believe anyone would seriously think that either Fed or Nadal are the least likely to win a slam. Despite Fed getting older and Nadal's health issues I think these two will at least win 3 out of the 4 if not all 4 slams. The next most likely person to win would be Juan because his game is strong enough that it doesn't require Fed or Nadal being off in order for him to get the win. With Djokovic and Murray I get the sense that they need Fed or Nadal to be off there A game in order pull off the victory. Murray is the least likely to get a Slam. Doesn't mean he won't or can't but just least likely in my opnion.

My list was in order of most likely to win to least. I'd never put Federer or Rafa at the bottom, especially Rafa cuz I'm a Rafa fanboy lol.

BorisBeckerFan
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I would say assuming both are fit, Fed and Nadal are both about as likely as the other to win slams. If Nadals health or Fed's age become issues wich I doubt (or hope not), then this would change the scope of things.

BorisBeckerFan
10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
My list was in order of most likely to win to least. I'd never put Federer or Rafa at the bottom, especially Rafa cuz I'm a Rafa fanboy lol.

Should have read the rest of your post. Thread said least likely.

ubermeyer
10-20-2009, 08:32 PM
murray, obviously. is this really a question?

paulorenzo
10-20-2009, 11:03 PM
True, there's only one slam on clay, but clay is the court where you get the biggest court advantage if you can play it well, and Nadal is quite capable of that, and it's not like Nadal hasn't been able to compete in other slams so he still has the advantage IMO. Winning a slam multiple years in a row says something.

winning 2 slams 5 times in a row says something as well.

LolzWhat?
10-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Federer and Nadal are on their way out. Robot racket technology coming out will make their lives harder and harder. It is only a matter of time before Federer's back and Nadal's knees, ***, torso, etc. all go away. Then we will see the rise of new champions.

SikSerb
10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Djokovic
4. Del Potro
5. Murray

Djokovic is making a return of some sort to form, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was to win one slam next year. Del Potro showed his ability that he can go the distance in slams but I doubt he'll take one next year. And Murray, well Murray is murray, I just dont think he can win a slam. Hes good at winning in three sets but in five sets he struggles, US Open 08 was an achievement for him. Federer will undoubtedly take at least one more slam and a in-form Nadal should take Roland Garros.

big bang
10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Murray for sure! he will never win a slam, it would be a disaster for tennis if he does. I think I would break all my ps 6.1 classics in tiny little pieces and never watch tennis again..