PDA

View Full Version : Will there be another #1 ranked American player?

Leelord337
10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I was wondering that within the next decade or so if there will be an american to reach the #1 ranking. I don't see it but I sure hope it happens.

Toxicmilk
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Donald Young............................................. ....
woot woot.

Like you said, I don't see it happening anytime soon, but who knows, maybe someone pops up having what it takes.

boredone3456
10-19-2009, 10:36 PM
It could happen, although its hard to say if anyone on the tour now could do it...Young is going no where fast, Querrey seems to be up and down, Isner could...well I dunno.

grafselesfan
10-19-2009, 10:42 PM
It DEFINITELY wont ever be anyone of the current young crop. It would have to be a long time in the future. The way the development system in the U.S seems to be going I would venture to guess it will be an extremely long time. Also how strong Europe now is in mens tennis.

Chadwixx
10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Serena is number 1

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-20-2009, 10:01 AM
USA is one of the few former Superpowers of tennis, of course it will happen.
When? I have NO idea.

quest01
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Thats true Serena is number 1 on the womens side but on the mens I do see an American being number 1 within 10 years. Who that would be I have no idea but it will happen.

Claudius
10-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't think we will ever live to see it.

Kemitak
10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Ryan Harrison.

JoshDragon
10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Possibly Harrison but Dimitrov may eclipse him.

Bettysbetters
10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
As the mother of twin boys that train about 5 hours a day to go pro...I can say that its going to be hard for an American. I (we, anybody) in the States who has talented kids gets Zero help. I was in France a little while ago and was just amazed at the organization to promote and train their players there

I hope that I am wrong! http://www.thepinoyscandal.net/img/7/V.gif

sureshs
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
As the mother of twin boys that train about 5 hours a day to go pro...I can say that its going to be hard for an American. I (we, anybody) in the States who has talented kids gets Zero help. I was in France a little while ago and was just amazed at the organization to promote and train their players there

It comes from taxes. People will object loudly if that happens in the US.

Also, France is a tiny homogeneous place. What can be done there does not scale to bigger places.

goober
10-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Yet in the 1990s the USA had Sampras, Agassi and Courier all reach #1, Chang #2 and Todd Martin #4 all under the same system.

jrepac
10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
So what is wrong w/our current "system" (or lack thereof)? I am totally not familiar w/it, but have heard over the years that other countries (france, for instance) are much better at grooming talented kids.

Just wondering what the problem is...hasn't the UK invested a lot of time and money for very little return over the years? Andy Murray was a godsend for them..

just curious as to what the POV is on player development here

Kemitak
10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
...and Murray trained in Spain.
Nationalism will get you nowhere with this question. So many players from other countries come to the USofA to play tennis, but they keep their citizenship from wherever they come from and 'play for their country'. My guess is that the problem with American tennis isn't with the tennis, but with the American: pop culture, teenage wasteland; if you can afford to play tennis, you can afford not to play tennis. When things come easily for you, why struggle and fight and compete? What's that funny Dutch saying, clogs to clogs in three generations? I think we're in the midst of the third generation.

Mr.Brightside
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
yes. me. ten years. watch. :)

President of Serve/Volley
10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Yet in the 1990s the USA had Sampras, Agassi and Courier all reach #1, Chang #2 and Todd Martin #4 all under the same system.

1990s = Gold Standard for American Tennis... They really were that good.

IvanAndreevich
10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
It comes from taxes. People will object loudly if that happens in the US.

Also, France is a tiny homogeneous place. What can be done there does not scale to bigger places.

How much do you know about France? Have you been there? Read books about it?

ubermeyer
10-20-2009, 09:28 PM
later... like 11 years or so

Kemitak
10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Also, France is a tiny homogeneous place.

I hear those riots a few years ago had to do with homogeneity. Ha.:shock:

Michael Bluth
10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
...and Murray trained in Spain.
Nationalism will get you nowhere with this question. So many players from other countries come to the USofA to play tennis, but they keep their citizenship from wherever they come from and 'play for their country'. My guess is that the problem with American tennis isn't with the tennis, but with the American: pop culture, teenage wasteland; if you can afford to play tennis, you can afford not to play tennis. When things come easily for you, why struggle and fight and compete? What's that funny Dutch saying, clogs to clogs in three generations? I think we're in the midst of the third generation.

This idea that if you come from a family that is well-off you can't succeed is highly overrated. Federer and Nadal both came from families that were comfortably well-off.

tintin
10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
ain't gonna happen anydamn time soon and thank god for thathttp://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/cool/cool0016.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

that player will have to really be an ALL-surface,ALL-court player and won't be an instant gratification type of player unlike the likes of Roddick(clay) and Blake(clay,grass) and the rest of the junks who only show up for the USO and don't do jack chyt in the first 3 majorshttp://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/rolleye/rolleye0012.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

egn
10-21-2009, 12:55 PM
You never know..hell ask someone in the 80s if a GOAT candidate would be coming from switzerland and they would have laughed. It may happen soon, it may not. Tennis is a hard sport to predict at times because something happens between 16-19 that determines almost the future of a tennis player. Just look at JDMP he was struggling to be top 20 in juniors what just 3 years ago and now he is a slam winner..

Venetian
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Tennis is not as popular in the U.S. as it once was. That's all there is to it. Smaller talent pool to draw from.

NamRanger
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM

Yet people continue to say that the U.S. system is in trouble.

Jchurch
10-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Yet people continue to say that the U.S. system is in trouble.

I thought the US tends to develop pushers now more so than players who have an attacking game?