PDA

View Full Version : my serves and groundies

spacediver
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Would appreciate any feedback whatsoever. This is my first time using any sort of filming device, and unfortunately, these are the only cuts that had me in the frame properly.

One thing I think I see in the serves is a need for more of a knee bend and body rotation. A better toss may prevent some of the bad form seen in the first couple of serves.

As for the groundies, this was a warmup rally (I taped a long rally session where things heated up, but again, I was entirely out of frame). I let a forehand rip at 1:55, but the rest should show my basic form.

serves:

http://www.vimeo.com/7159035

groundies:

http://www.vimeo.com/7159098

ReopeningWed
10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I saw the groundstrokes video. To be concise, you're cramped on your forehand, hit too late, need to hit out further in front, flat-footed, no footwork, no hip OR shoulder rotation, need better drive with legs, need better footwork, and keep your head still so you don't shank the ball as massively as you did at 1:55.
On your backhand, move your feet, get that back leg closer to the ground, don't open up those shoulders, keep your head still.

Most importantly, MOVE YOUR FEET. I'd say 3.0 level.

spacediver
10-19-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks reopening - yea the footwork was lazy as things hadn't really warmed up, but I definitely need to refine it on my strokes. I'm generally good at getting to the ball on time, but need to fine tune the footwork just before and during the strokes.

ReopeningWed
10-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Your racket head speed isn't too bad though, for all arm. Keep at it :)

spacediver
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM
any advice on the serves, or other feedback?

ryangoring
10-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Man I was laughing at the guy next to you in all black with the white cap. His forehand looks like he was playing table tennis.

spacediver
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
heh i never noticed until you pointed it out. Very truncated follow through!

his kid is excellent though!

ryangoring
10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Your BH is all over the place. You are pulling up on the ball instead of driving thru it. Here:
Slow motion of FedEX BH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCQ50D2fIKI)

tennis_pr0
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Two things with your serve. First, you are not getting into the trophy pose at all. Second, and most importantly, I want you to watch your video and pause it right before you strike the ball. You are going to see that you are striking the ball not in front of you, but off to the side. This is because you are making contact with the ball as your shoulders are still turning. This is making your swing finish off to the side, which I'm sure you have noticed already. To fix this, you can try two things. First, make sure your ball toss is in front of you. A bad ball toss may be forcing you to make contact with the ball off to the side as you are. Next, to get in the habit of turning your shoulders all the way, stand with your back heel off the ground, and you belly button facing the net, then throw the ball up and make contact. This is going to give you the feeling you want when you strike the ball. Work on those two things, tell me how it feels.

spacediver
10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
thanks! I actually hadn't noticed that my swing was finishing off to the side, but after reviewing the video you're absolutely right. I guess this means I'm not deriving as much energy as I could from my core, and that my arm is forced into an unnatural swing in order to get anywhere close to proper ball placement.

Next chance I get I will try both your suggestions.

thanks - this is incredibly helpful.

tennis_pr0
10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
When you make contact with the ball, you want to do so as you are finishing your shoulder rotation, this is when you will have maximum torque. All your weight will be at its end stage of the transfer, and you will get a nice clean hit. And like I said before, it is tough to see from your video, make sure your point of contact is where it's suppose to be. If it's not, that's an easy fix and I will giv you some suggestions on that later.