PDA

View Full Version : Counterpunch to a great backhand slice

Lefty5
10-20-2009, 05:47 AM
What is the best way to handle a great down the line backhand slice?

I'm a 5.0 lefty, my backhand is better than my forehand. I've now lost to the same type of player 3 times in the past few months and I have no answers to the aggressive backhand down-the-line slice that stays low and skids. I can dig the slices out of the court but usually I'm left with only a crosscourt shot to my opponents forehand which their strength.... A slice back just gets another slice back to me. Any help is appreciated.

larry10s
10-20-2009, 06:18 AM
by 5.0 level im surprised you havent figured out the answer to this. the obvious is dont give your opponent a ball he can hit an aggressive slice off of.if you slice back up the line instead of cross court you are not changing direction and you are going back to his bh instead of to his forehand ( i know you are going over the higher part of the net but so is he). if hes coming in behind it its because you gave him a short ball to attack.

10-20-2009, 06:33 AM

I'm a 5.0 lefty, my backhand is better than my forehand. I've now lost to the same type of player 3 times in the past few months and I have no answers to the aggressive backhand down-the-line slice that stays low and skids. I can dig the slices out of the court but usually I'm left with only a crosscourt shot to my opponents forehand which their strength.... A slice back just gets another slice back to me. Any help is appreciated.

how deep is this skidding slice?

Lefty5
10-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm rolling heavy topspin forehands out wide to his backhand. Not really "feeding" easy balls to them to agressively slice but they come back with the slice down the line. The slice lands 1-3 feet from the baseline and skids. Sometimes it lands shorter, either way its low and penetrating.

Gemini
10-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Agreed. If you're playing 5.0 ball, you should be able to figure out what options you have available at this point.

Given that you're a lefty, I'll assume that the slice backhand you're having trouble is coming from a righty. If your backhand is your stronger shot, then you should have a number of options. Playing it safe, I rip the dipper up the center of the court to not give him any angles or I'll lob. If I'm feeling confident, I'll send the pass back up the line or rip the short angle crosscourt.

mikeler
10-20-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm rolling heavy topspin forehands out wide to his backhand. Not really "feeding" easy balls to them to agressively slice but they come back with the slice down the line. The slice lands 1-3 feet from the baseline and skids. Sometimes it lands shorter, either way its low and penetrating.

Try hitting through the court more and maybe you will not get the same reply. Your opponent is obviously not having trouble with the heavy topspin. In fact, he is using it against you.

Lefty5
10-20-2009, 06:51 AM
I must not be explaining myself very well. Getting coaching like... "figure it out" wasn't really what I was shooting for. You guys must win all your matches I assume. Anyway, I can't argue with Mikler's advice... that is the ideal... I was mostly looking for what is the most effective counter shot "in theory" that I can hit from a deep penetrating slice.

Gemini
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I must not be explaining myself very well. Getting coaching like... "figure it out" wasn't really what I was shooting for. You guys must win all your matches I assume. Anyway, I can't argue with Mikler's advice... that is the ideal... I was mostly looking for what is the most effective counter shot "in theory" that I can hit from a deep penetrating slice.

There are so many things to consider when you describe this situation. If you have absolutely no time to set up for a balanced strike on the ball, theoretically, the lob is the best counter shot in my opinion if he's making his way to the net. If you've got time to get to the ball and set up, a hard-struck dipping shot up the middle of the court would be my option for a net rusher. Otherwise, I'm getting underneath that ball and rolling it back deep.

And no...I don't win all my matches but playing at 5.0+ I usually don't have to ask questions about tactics.

wyutani
10-20-2009, 08:12 AM

im thinking slice back a deep ball. then volley it to the other side as you come into the net.:)

smoothtennis
10-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I am with Mikler on this one. I play a few lefties regularly. My favorite shot is the one you describe - penetrating slice down the line off of a heavy CC lefty forehand. The thing is....that lefty forehand with the big topspin is coming UP at me. I don't want him backing off the court with his big weapon. So I have to step in, key on the bounce, and drive a slice down the line - he is providing a lot of the power with his forehand and spin - I am simply feeding it back to a spot he can't do that with agian.

When someone is hitting a slower, lower ball, it is for sure not as easy to hit the slice as aggressively down the line.

I think your though process should be this: When he hits that shot, your job is to be patient and realize he has neautralized the ball and your ability to successfully attack that shot. Your intention is a neutral ball back, that will help set up your strength - and it may take a few shots to do this.

How about a slice back crosscourt that stays low, so he now has a slower lower ball that he cannot just attack outright with his forehand? He will likely lift the ball up with some looping spin, and you have the ball back up where you can start to dictate from a better ball height.

These are just some ideas.

Nellie
10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
If your backhand is solid, I would suggest hitting an angled crosscourt return, with the sharper angle being better if the incoming slice is, at all, short. At worst that is a neutral shot that should be safe to hit (you are hitting over the low point of the net and have the extra crosscourt distance) and, at best, you can move the opponent off the court to defensive position to allow you to retake the offensive.

LeeD
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
In league with User96... 's post here.....
That hard, backspinning, low netclearance, humming, oval ball is a tough one for most to handle. I've played it a few times, very tough.
Get yourself set sideways and stable, closed stance, shoulders turned, and stroke thru the ball, watching it closely and getting low (bent knees).
Direction is your call. If that shot really bothers you, go short angled CC, shorter than the service line to bring him off the singles court and forcing him to approach shot from out past his alley. Your reply would automatically be a CC lob, but if you can pass him, go for it.
I can hit that oval ball, humming backhand slice off my conti twisted to EForehandGrip, which I hit late with stable feet, closed shoulders, good posture, and solid long stroke. Unfortunately, guys who beat me counter this ball with a heavy topspin lob (even with their backhands) that bounces well over my head unless I shorthop it off the my baseline, which I can't do consistently.
But you know, sometimes if your opponent has a counter to all your shots, you're gonna lose.

mikeler
10-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Trying to come over your backhand against someone who hits a very good slice is going to be difficult. Your best bet is to develop your lefty slice backhand down the line if you play a lot of right handers that will eat your slice alive off their forehand wing. Now if you can hit a low angled slice cross court, you'll be in great shape to run around your backhand and get in an ideal position to hit a forehand again off your opponent's forehand.

moroni
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
well you could always slice back to his forehand if he stays at the baseline after he slices

if he comes to the net after he slices you could always hit a topspin lop (the bell already has some spin on it so it should be easy)

This is a general solution i cant tell you for sure that this will work it depends 4 EX; if he has a good penetrating forehand topspin ..obviously a slice to the FH side wont work)

Lefty5
10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
i think i got some good ideas from the feedback, thanks!

In D Zone
10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Slicing back and forth is not bad. What you are doing is to buy some time for better court positioning. The first who blinks either gets too tigger happy and over hits or return a weak shot allowing the opponent to attack. If you observed Fernando Gonzales - his a good 1hbh but if he gets feed with a heavy shot to his bh (topspin or slice). He waits patiently feeding the ball back with slices. Waiting for an opening to hit a good inside out shot.

Other option :
hit a soft bh slice that lands short within the service box, or a drop shot.
hit a heavy top spin shot that is long and target the shot more towards dto the bh side of the opponent. I know going DTL can be hard but you can also jam the opponent by hitting more to his body (bh side) to hand cuff his slice.

film1
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Give them the shot and wait for a short ball.

nereis
10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Take note of what Nadal does to Federer. Even though Federer has arguably the best defensive sliced backhand in the game Nadal can take that option away from him by sitting on it and hitting an angled forehand into his forehand, thereby having Federer on the run. You know where the ball is going, and the extra slice will help you spin an angled ball into his forehand. I suggest running around your backhand and going for the angled ball into the forehand court as a forehand is inherently better against slice due the racquet head speed factor. Your two handed backhand is better against high bounding topspin shots than against sliced shots.

cigrmaster
10-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I am also a lefty and when someone tries to slice to my back hand( my better side), I will either slice it back down the line to his backhand, or I will hit a top spin back hand down the line to his backhand if I have the set up time.

wyutani
10-21-2009, 06:07 PM
just listen to my advise and you'll be fine.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Move your feet, bend your knees, get low, and rip one crosscourt!

All you need to fight back against a low slice is good footwork and anticipation... :?

Then again, like LeeD says, if you have a faulty stroke, you'll fail also... But at the 5.0 level... I'm hoping you have solid strokes... That or you're the best retriever in the history of man and should consider pro football instead with that kind of speed.