PDA

View Full Version : Some question about serving

TennisVet
10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Is it ok to serve using a eastern forehand grip? I know that almost all the pros use continental grip, but it feels so unnatural .

tennis_pr0
10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
You can serve with it, but you be limited with the progression of your serve. Using an eastern forehand grip will not allow you to pronate, which in return will hold you back from pace and spin. If you are looking to get better, I recommend switching to continental or something very close to continental, as it will benefit you in the long run.

Roy125
10-20-2009, 07:21 PM
There's more spin on the continental grip. It does feel uncomfortable at first but it'll be better for you when you want to get extremely better.

SystemicAnomaly
10-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I would not continue to serve with an Easter FH grip unless you want your serving to remain one-dimensional. If you try to serve with any pace with such a grip, your serving % will most likely be very low.

The only pro that I am aware of that used this grip in modern times was Boris Becker. However, it has been said that he had an unusually strong wrist & forearm. If the conti grip feels to strange, try a semi-continental grip for a while. Serena W reportedly uses this grip on (some?) first serves. If you can't get this grip to work for you either, then you really need to look into taking a serving lesson.