PDA

View Full Version : String Job from Sports chain store

rscottdds
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
My son got this racquet from a guy at the club who wanted him to string it because the store he had it done at had strung it too loose. That might have been an understatement :-)
-Robert

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/507/100481Pauls%20racquet8960.JPG

Lakers4Life
10-20-2009, 10:19 PM
That's not the only problem. I would demand a refund first.

some6uy008
10-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Wow, i can see missing one, but almost the whole row

mikeler
10-21-2009, 04:19 AM
That is awful. DEMAND a refund.

eagle
10-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Whoa! That's really bad.

Missing one happens at times but missing a number of them is inexcusable.

Yep. You need to get a refund. If they refuse to give a refund but force you to a store credit only, then just buy the strings/buy something else. But take your racquet elsewhere.

Here's the link to find a qualified certified stringer:
http://www.racquettech.com/top/stringer_search.html

r,
eagle

PimpMyGame
10-21-2009, 06:40 AM
I'll crawl out of the woodwork and admit that I have given a misweave back to a customer when I started stringing. When he told me I was horrified. I took the racket back immediately and restrung, obviously at no additional cost. In this circumstance it's the very least a stringer can do.

Edit - that pic is a horror story, mine definitely wasn't that bad!!

rscottdds
10-21-2009, 07:12 AM
That's why my son took the picture so hopefully the guy can get a refund. The guy gave me the racquet to give to my son to be strung. The guy hadn't noticed the misweaves, only that it played bad and seemed loose. My son always looks racquets over before stringing them to look for cracks, bad grommets, etc. He took one look at the racquet and said "Oh man, someone really messed up"
-Robert

Blade0324
10-21-2009, 07:19 AM
There simply is no excuse for this. Unfortunately it happens quite often at the big box stores. IMO these stores should not even be allowed to string racquets.

goran_ace
10-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Make sure to ask for a cash/credit refund and not just a free re-string.

goran_ace
10-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Just a quick story about big box sports stores and who is really stringing your racket... when I had my first job out of college I was looking to make some extra money here or there on the weekends. I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods and asked who did their stringing and if they were interested in hiring or contracting the work out to an experienced stringer. Their response was basically that it was store policy (not sure if that meant that specific store or all stores) to just use someone from the floor who isn't busy and have them learn how to string in their down time, and that if I wanted to I could apply for a general floor position and maybe I could string if I wasn't being used somewhere else in the store. From a managerial viewpoint that makes sense considering how little stringing volume they do, but from a stringer/player viewpoint that is appalling that some kid who doesn't play tennis, knows nothing about tennis, who simply didn't have enough to do that day, could be learning how to string a racket out of a book on a customer's racket.

Giant Baba
10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Super bad! But should use tennis place and not box store. Speialist is better for this racquet work. Common sence

The_Question
10-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Good god, what chain store is this?? This is why one should never take it to a chain store.

I was looking at a racquet (Prince O3 Royal) in Sports Authority August 08'. I ask the kid (11th grader) who strings racquet in the store. He said he's the one. I asked if he had any experience, and he replied "not yet". I was terrified!!

OP, you need to get a refund on labor and the cost of the string!!

rscottdds
10-21-2009, 09:03 AM
OP, you need to get a refund on labor and the cost of the string!!

It's not my racquet. It's one from a new guy at the club. He's new in town and didn't know where to go to get his racquet done. He went to the place you mentioned in your post. He hated the way it played and when he found out that my son strings racquets he gave his other racquet to him to string. He was amazed at the difference (my son strings with a Gamma + Wise) so he gave my son the racquet in the above pict. to restring.

I sent the pict to the guy so hopefully he can show it to the store and get a refund.

-Robert

jim e
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm sure there are probably good stringers and bad at the box stores. I must say that your chances of getting a good job done at one of these are less. A couple years back the 1st box store I walked into the stringer had a racquet left in the machine with all of one side mains strung, not staggered like you should, and the racquet was left that way for the 45 min. I was in the strore with no sight of the stringer.
I then went to another store, and the stringer was installing 2 strings and pulling once, on all the mains and crosses.
From this I reasoned that there is no supervision of quality at these places.That is why if you do not string your own, it is best to go to a speciality shop, or a home stringer, as that way you are the stringers direct customer.I would assume that most of them would take some pride in what they do, as the stringing job done there separates them from the rest.Anyone can sell you a racquet, but the stringing has their signature to it sort of saying.

Nuke
10-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I've had misweaves from the big box stores before. It's not so terrible if it's just one miss, but that pic is pretty bad. I once had a string job where they didn't string the last cross, leaving the last pair of grommets empty. I guess they cut the string too short and just tied off on the next-to-last cross rather than start over.

So now I string my own, and I don't go back to those stores except to buy balls.

[d]ragon
10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
I've had misweaves from the big box stores before. It's not so terrible if it's just one miss, but that pic is pretty bad. I once had a string job where they didn't string the last cross, leaving the last pair of grommets empty. I guess they cut the string too short and just tied off on the next-to-last cross rather than start over.

So now I string my own, and I don't go back to those stores except to buy balls.

I don't even go there to buy balls. In my area, all the tennis stuff is way overpriced. Balls are $5 a can. I went to one to get a pack of overgrips because the usual shop I go to was out. $7 bucks for Tourna-grip. Ridiculous.

Although the Dicks Sporting Goods (formerly Chicks) has a decent stringer. My friend gets his done there since it's close and cheaper and he's never had a problem (he used to string till he sold his stringer, don't know why)

mikeler
10-21-2009, 10:16 AM
ragon;4044894']I don't even go there to buy balls. In my area, all the tennis stuff is way overpriced. Balls are $5 a can. I went to one to get a pack of overgrips because the usual shop I go to was out. $7 bucks for Tourna-grip. Ridiculous.

Although the Dicks Sporting Goods (formerly Chicks) has a decent stringer. My friend gets his done there since it's close and cheaper and he's never had a problem (he used to string till he sold his stringer, don't know why)

The balls at the big chains are hit and miss. Sometimes they are dead right out of the can. I've never had a problem when ordering my Prince balls online.

Lakers4Life
10-21-2009, 10:32 AM
ragon;4044894']I don't even go there to buy balls. In my area, all the tennis stuff is way overpriced. Balls are $5 a can. I went to one to get a pack of overgrips because the usual shop I go to was out. $7 bucks for Tourna-grip. Ridiculous.

The Dicks in my area was also formerly Chicks. But they no longer do stringing service in thier store. When they were still Chick's they has a Star 5. With Dicks no longer offering stringing service, the only other stores are S. Authority and S. Chalet.

eagle
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
The Dicks in my area was also formerly Chicks. But they no longer do stringing service in thier store. When they were still Chick's they has a Star 5. With Dicks no longer offering stringing service, the only other stores are S. Authority and S. Chalet.

Try the link I posted earlier to find a certified stringer.

r,
eagle

Lakers4Life
10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Try the link I posted earlier to find a certified stringer.

r,
eagle

I have my own stringing machine. Being certified does not necessarily make one a good stringer, they are just know how to string in order to get a job at a Big Box chain.

meowmix
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
^But at least one has to have some experience to get certified. And at least, those stringers have some idea of what they're doing, and what's good/bad. Some big box stores... not so much...

downs_chris
10-21-2009, 07:21 PM
that string job is hilariously bad!

eagle
10-21-2009, 08:13 PM
I have my own stringing machine. Being certified does not necessarily make one a good stringer, they are just know how to string in order to get a job at a Big Box chain.

A critical point of detail omitted from your initial post. :)

I presume it takes more than just having a machine to get on the USRSA list. I know of a stringer who worked at Grand Slams and never worked at a big box store.

r,
eagle

Lakers4Life
10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
A critical point of detail omitted from your initial post. :)

I presume it takes more than just having a machine to get on the USRSA list. I know of a stringer who worked at Grand Slams and never worked at a big box store.

r,
eagle

OK, let me change my comment, I meant certification is for getting a job so one can make a living from stringing and repairing rackets.

Steve Huff
10-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I agree with Lakers4life about "certification" does not really seem to mean much these days. There is one chain where (I see in the RSi magazine) that have so many MRI's being certified so often. I think the store has a certification tester too. My suspicion is that it might not be so difficult to get certified in those stores. So, what does that mean? First, part of the test is changing out grommet strips in 15 minutes or less. These big chain stores just don't change out that many grommets. I can tell you, the first 5 or more times you do this usually takes a little more time. I'm thinking that some of these testers may be skipping this part of the test for their own employees. Just my opinion, and to me, made the MRI status mean a lot less.