PDA

View Full Version : Do you lose more tension on the first string job?

Lefty5
10-21-2009, 06:34 AM
When stringing up a brand new racket, is it normal to lose more tension than if the racket has already been strung a few times?

Here's the background for my question:

I strung up my 2 brand new Speedport Blacks with the hole inserts about a couple weeks ago. I strung them at 63 with a co-poly. After about 3 matches on each stick, I noticed they had lost some significant tension. I tested the strings with my trusty Stringmeter and noticed I lost about 12lbs from my string job. That is way more than I usually lose which is about 5 lbs before I break them or cut them out after about 4 weeks of play. Same stringer, same stringing method, same exact string, same tension, same stringmeter to test the strings, but more tension lost.... Is the rackets being brand new a valid explanation or did some other variable creep in?

PimpMyGame
10-21-2009, 06:37 AM
I assume you're comparing stringing new Speedport Blacks with stringing older ones? It's not clear in your post.

In any case I have not heard of new rackets losing tension quicker. Maybe there is a problem with the inserts? IDK.

VGP
10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
This reminds me of a thread where people claim to increase the reference tension on new rackets or rackets where new grommets are installed. The idea was that the new or newly installed plastic parts had to "set" or are compressed resulting in lower actual tension......

Lefty5
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
This reminds me of a thread where people claim to increase the reference tension on new rackets or rackets where new grommets are installed. The idea was that the new or newly installed plastic parts had to "set" or are compressed resulting in lower actual tension......

So its a valid practice amongst the master guru stringer elites?

jim e
10-21-2009, 08:27 AM
It is normal practice to increase tension by 2 lbs. for a new racquet, or new grommet set, to allow the grommets to set in.Some players like to have a cheap string installed first, then removed shortly later, then strung up normally. I usually follow the 2 lb. rule in these instances.That is the most you will lose from new grommets.

Irvin
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM
How did you string the rackets? It makes a BIG difference. Did you use a sharpie cap, a boomerang, 2 piece 50/50, pull two string at a time, or what?

Irvin

dadozen
10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Didn't know that, this sounds like a brand new car that uses more gasoline than usual in its first tanks:)

I'm getting a pair of brand new racquets tomorrow, so this came in good time. I'll probably then use the 2lb. rule, mostly because I have a tournament this week.

Lefty5
10-21-2009, 10:07 AM
How did you string the rackets? It makes a BIG difference. Did you use a sharpie cap, a boomerang, 2 piece 50/50, pull two string at a time, or what?

Irvin

HOLE inserts...don't need a sharpie or special tricks. Standard one string at a time, same way I always do it.

Irvin
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
HOLE inserts...don't need a sharpie or special tricks. Standard one string at a time, same way I always do it.

Then I would think they will string up he same way the next time.

Irvin

alidisperanza
10-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Sharpie cap?

liftlobby2
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
yea,i agree that first string job loses more tension cos of the various reasons stated earlier.

Irvin
10-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Sharpie cap?

Yes a Sharpie cap. The cap off one of these

http://www.sharpie.com/img/compel/Y-0ZRD-I97w4ZMf_sS9UhK06Url0w7vz/sh_super_red_on.jpg

When stringing the Prince O3 rackets the cross strings on top half of the racket will pull upward towards the head of the racket. Since the O Ports on the side are so large the string tends to move up against the last tensioned string in the Same O Port. Some stringers use a Sharpie cap to separate them. Not a good idea IMHO.

Irvin

Steve Huff
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
As Jim said, the rule of thumb is to increase the first stringjob by about 2#. The grommets have to "seat" (the strings kind of "sink in". As they do, you generally lose about 2# of tension.

rich s
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh no......not again! :)